PDA

View Full Version : 2003 MM for $18,000 ????

Darin
06-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Looking for a Maruder and found one at the local Carmax. It has 61,000 miles and the price is $18,000. I have not seen it in person yet, I wanted to get some opinions on the price and the mileage.

$18,000 a fair price for the car assuming it's in good shape? (carmax doesn't usually sell junk)

61,000 miles - Are you other owners with 60K plus miles dealing with any typical problems?

Thanks

Darin

Cobra25
06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I think you could do better with the price.

ctrcbob
06-21-2005, 04:29 PM
There is no dickering with CarMax. The price is the price. Like he said, cars sold at CarMax are in much better shape than cars sold elsewhere.

CarMax will try to sell you all kinds of extended warranties. Buy if you want, but don't be pressured. This will drive the price up. If the price is reasonable, buy it because the car is no longer under factory warranty.

Do not try to trade in your old car, as CarMax will find all kinds of things wrong with it and won't give you anything for it.

Take a close look at the tires before you buy. Make sure they are all good, and that they are either KDWS or KDW2 BFGoodrich g-Force.

Good Luck

Logan
06-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Please. Overpriced by $3k.

I recently came across a 34k miles marauder for $16k.

Carmax is carmax, they're no friggin different than any other dealer, despite their own hype.

MENINBLK
06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
CarMax will try to sell you all kinds of extended warranties. Buy if you want, but don't be pressured. This will drive the price up. If the price is reasonable, buy it because the car is no longer under factory warranty.

Don't bother with any warranties.
Your neighborhood FORD DEALER will be glad to sell you a USED CAR PREMIUM CARE WARRANTY.
This will be honored at ANY FORD DEALER for the duration of the plan you purchase.
Don't waste your hard earned money on anything else...

Cobra25
06-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Please. Overpriced by $3k.

I recently came across a 34k miles marauder for $16k.

Carmax is carmax, they're no friggin different than any other dealer, despite their own hype. Well said & too the point. Priced too high.

Darin
06-21-2005, 08:11 PM
I have purchased from Carmax before and I know they are like everyone else except for the fixed pricing. I was more or less just questioning the price / miles. Thanks, I will keep looking.

Darin

Bluerauder
06-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Looking for a Maruder and found one at the local Carmax. It has 61,000 miles and the price is $18,000.
Yeah, $18K seems high for a car with more than 60,000 miles. Kelly Blue Book lists retail price at $16,985 using my zip code. :D No optional equipment included. You should be able to get that price in GA down another $500 to about $16,485. Private Party value in excellent condition is $14,540. :rolleyes:

ridinclean
06-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Looking for a Maruder and found one at the local Carmax. It has 61,000 miles and the price is $18,000. I have not seen it in person yet, I wanted to get some opinions on the price and the mileage.

$18,000 a fair price for the car assuming it's in good shape? (carmax doesn't usually sell junk)

61,000 miles - Are you other owners with 60K plus miles dealing with any typical problems?

Thanks

DarinI see that your located in GA, here are a couple in your state for the same price with less miles...

03 35k miles $18,990 AutoTrader.com - Cars For Sale: Car Details (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=184410349&dealer_id=66574&car_year=2003&make=MERC&distance=300&lang=en&max_price=&model=MARAUDER&sponsorModel=&end_year=2006&min_price=&certified=&address=32216&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&cardist=300) Lithia Springs , GA

03 41k miles $18000 AutoTrader.com - Cars For Sale: Car Details (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182795105&dealer_id=56233018&car_year=2003&make=MERC&distance=300&lang=en&max_price=&model=MARAUDER&sponsorModel=&end_year=2006&min_price=&certified=&address=32216&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&cardist=33) St. Mary's, GA

sfsv
06-22-2005, 02:46 AM
:shake:IF YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT UNDER THE FORD/MERCURY 3YR/36K MILE WARRANTY, THE DEALER CANNOT SELL YOU ANY TYPE OF FORD EXTENED SERVICE PLAN (ESP). THE ONLY TIME THEY CAN SELL YOU A FORD ESP BEYOND THE 3/36 WARRANTY IS THAT THEY ARE SELLING THE VEHICLE THEMSELVES AND HAS PLACE IT THROUGH THE FORD ESP INSPECTION PROCESS. I WILL TELL YOU THAT THE FORD ESP PREMIUM IS THE BEST EXTENDED WARRANTY IN THE BUSINESS AND I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU FIND A MM THAT A FORD, LINCOLN, OR MERCURY DEALER IS SELLING AND BUYING IT THAT WAY. BY THE WAY I AM A 15 YEAR CERTIFIED FORD LINCOLN MERCURY SERVICE ADVISOR.
Don't bother with any warranties.
Your neighborhood FORD DEALER will be glad to sell you a USED CAR PREMIUM CARE WARRANTY.
This will be honored at ANY FORD DEALER for the duration of the plan you purchase.
Don't waste your hard earned money on anything else...

twolow
06-22-2005, 05:36 AM
To answer your question about cars with over 60K, mine just rolled 70K and only thing wrong is the back seat driver side door lock actuator is bad and works when it wants to. One of those things easy to replace but I've been putting it off. Everything's fine other than that.

Mine had 65K when I bought it in Atlanta for 16K from the Mercury dealer back in April.

Wires
06-22-2005, 05:42 AM
I don't think that's too bad!!! :alone:

Seriously, where were these cheaper Georgia cars when I bought mine?????

Rkammer
06-22-2005, 05:55 AM
:shake:IF YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT UNDER THE FORD/MERCURY 3YR/36K MILE WARRANTY, THE DEALER CANNOT SELL YOU ANY TYPE OF FORD EXTENED SERVICE PLAN (ESP). THE ONLY TIME THEY CAN SELL YOU A FORD ESP BEYOND THE 3/36 WARRANTY IS THAT THEY ARE SELLING THE VEHICLE THEMSELVES AND HAS PLACE IT THROUGH THE FORD ESP INSPECTION PROCESS. I WILL TELL YOU THAT THE FORD ESP PREMIUM IS THE BEST EXTENDED WARRANTY IN THE BUSINESS AND I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU FIND A MM THAT A FORD, LINCOLN, OR MERCURY DEALER IS SELLING AND BUYING IT THAT WAY. BY THE WAY I AM A 15 YEAR CERTIFIED FORD LINCOLN MERCURY SERVICE ADVISOR.
I hate to disagree with your statement since you are very familiar with the ESP program. However, I just bought my MM in Boston last week and drove it home to Orlando. Before I left for Boston, I talked with the service manager at my local LM dealer and he assured me that they could place an extended (premium ESP) warranty on it when I got it home. I went to the dealer this past Monday and they, in fact let me purchase the plan. They said the reason they could do that was because the car was still under the original 3/36 warranty. So, it can be done.:)

Darin
06-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Probably going to look at this one tonight. 03 35k miles $18,990 AutoTrader.com - Cars For Sale: Car Details Lithia Springs , GA

The only problem is trading in my 1998 SVT Contour I can't take a beating on it because I still owe some money on it. I will probably have to end up selling my CSVT first, but once I get the "I need a new car bug" I don't like to wait. I have always liked the Marauders since they came out (even though I am a mustang guy at heart) it's just been a matter of affording one. Considered a Crown Vic sport a few times but they just don't have that bad ass look. I would get another stang but I am tired of seeing them on every corner of every road. I really like the 05 stangs but price is an issue and those are going to be more popular than previous years and it's hard to be different when there are thousands of the same car on the road.

Sorry for the rant / story I will keep you guys posted on my search and definately be a full time member when I get one.

Darin

RoyLPita
06-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Get me VINs, I'll run it for you.

Darin
06-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Get me VINs, I'll run it for you.

Thanks, 2MEHM75V73X610244

ckadiddle
06-22-2005, 06:48 AM
I ran across a black Crown Vic Sport in a local parking lot recently. Had the sinister look, sporty wheels. I had to hit the brakes and do a double take to see if it was a Marauder or not. Course, it WAS raining and dark. They are sharp looking, and I would have ended up in one eventually if Marauders didn't exist. I was actually researching Crown Vics when I ran across references to the Marauder. (God bless the World Wide Web.) The tradeoff is that they are somewhat less powerfull than the Marauder. Just something to consider if you can't find a Marauder that suits your budget/needs/wants.

wchain
06-22-2005, 06:51 AM
(carmax doesn't usually sell junk)

:rofl:
:lol:

Darin
06-22-2005, 07:04 AM
:rofl:

I have purchased 2 cars from them in the past and their prices were in line with the dealer market. I can not say anything good about their service dept. I had nothing but bad luck when they had to service the 1st car under their 30 day warranty.

RoyLPita
06-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks, 2MEHM75V73X610244

Check your PMs for report. Is this the Carmax VIN????

Breadfan
06-22-2005, 07:35 AM

Thanks

Darin
By way of comparison I got my '03 with 17,900 miles for $21k. $3k more on a loan isn't a big deal especially for 40,000 less miles.

Now if $18k is the starting price, you might be able to talk down a few more thousand, in that case it starts to look more appealing. You could do what I did and play the "nobody even knows or cares about these cars, no one knows what a Marauder is so I don't think you'll sell it very fast." LOL...I knew what a Marauder was. :P

I have a knack for breaking down the salepeople..."So you're telling me this car is so special, so it's overgeared, underpowered, overhyped, body on frame circa 1979, and it's a Mercury thus I may have to fight gramps for the keys. You want HOW MUCH for it??!?!?!?"

We all know that's definitely not true, but my experience is the sales people know infinitely less about the car then we do. :)

RoyLPita
06-22-2005, 07:42 AM
By way of comparison I got my '03 with 17,900 miles for $21k. $3k more on a loan isn't a big deal especially for 40,000 less miles.

Now if $18k is the starting price, you might be able to talk down a few more thousand, in that case it starts to look more appealing. You could do what I did and play the "nobody even knows or cares about these cars, no one knows what a Marauder is so I don't think you'll sell it very fast." LOL...I knew what a Marauder was. :P

I have a knack for breaking down the salepeople..."So you're telling me this car is so special, so it's overgeared, underpowered, overhyped, body on frame circa 1979, and it's a Mercury thus I may have to fight gramps for the keys. You want HOW MUCH for it??!?!?!?"

We all know that's definitely not true, but my experience is the sales people know infinitely less about the car then we do. :)

It would be wise to try this on the naive.

twolow
06-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Did the vin come back with negative stuff?

Darin
06-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Nope.

Here is the OASIS for the VIN#2MEHM75V73X610244:
Build date:5/30/02
Start date:7/2/02
vehicle has no recalls or CA/NY/MA emmissions
OASIS shows no Ford extended or maintenance policies for this MM

Warranty repair history (full):
Ganley Lincoln Mercury
7/2/02 @ 21 miles
repainted trunk lid
replaced rt rear reflector

Tallboy
06-22-2005, 10:08 AM
I hate to disagree with your statement since you are very familiar with the ESP program. However, I just bought my MM in Boston last week and drove it home to Orlando. Before I left for Boston, I talked with the service manager at my local LM dealer and he assured me that they could place an extended (premium ESP) warranty on it when I got it home. I went to the dealer this past Monday and they, in fact let me purchase the plan. They said the reason they could do that was because the car was still under the original 3/36 warranty. So, it can be done.:)I suggest you re-read the statement you are "disagreeing " with. You are, in fact, agreeing. The car in question is well beyond 3/36.

twolow
06-22-2005, 10:38 AM
I suggest you re-read the statement you are "disagreeing " with. You are, in fact, agreeing. The car in question is well beyond 3/36.
I saw that too when I read his post :D

Rkammer
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
I suggest you re-read the statement you are "disagreeing " with. You are, in fact, agreeing. The car in question is well beyond 3/36.Right you are. I read the second sentance and took that to mean they can't sell an ESP unless they are the selling dealer. If I'd read it again I would have understood that it only applied to cars which are beyond the 3/36. Sorry. :cry:

Logan
06-22-2005, 03:29 PM
For reference purposes if you really want an accurate, though painful idea of what Marauder is currently worth, Go to kbb.com, select used --> trade-in OR private party depending on what value you're interested in, enter your mileage and select FAIR condition, DON'T select a condition higher than that or add additional "options" as they skew the data.

The resulting number is, on trade-in value, what you can REALISTICALLY expect a dealer to offer you on your marauder and on private party value, what you should REALISTICALLY expect to sell your car for privately.

It'll indeed be painful to see, but that's the resale market for you... :)

03 w/20k Miles Private Party: $16580
Trade-in Value: $14090

04 w/10k Miles Private Party: $19480
Trade-in Value: $16685

Scary, but realistic.

Smokie
06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
..... Scary, but realistic.The solution is simple, you buy the car and keep it for 20 years and you will be ahead of the game.:D

twolow
06-23-2005, 05:31 AM
The solution is simple, you buy the car and keep it for 20 years and you will be ahead of the game.:D
These cars will be collectable but only when they aren't so available on the market. Give it 10 or 20 and then check kbb with your brain embedded wireless internet servo and you'll not find any for sale...thats when it's value will be something worth bragging about.

Rkammer
06-23-2005, 06:23 AM
For reference purposes if you really want an accurate, though painful idea of what Marauder is currently worth, Go to kbb.com, select used --> trade-in OR private party depending on what value you're interested in, enter your mileage and select FAIR condition, DON'T select a condition higher than that or add additional "options" as they skew the data.

The resulting number is, on trade-in value, what you can REALISTICALLY expect a dealer to offer you on your marauder and on private party value, what you should REALISTICALLY expect to sell your car for privately.

It'll indeed be painful to see, but that's the resale market for you... :)

03 w/20k Miles Private Party: $16580
Trade-in Value: $14090

04 w/10k Miles Private Party: $19480
Trade-in Value: $16685

Scary, but realistic."Reallistic" is a very objective term IMO. While these figures in a resale guide may be realistic to some, there are motivated buyers buying MMs from motivated sellers at $2-3000 higher than the prices quoted. I've talked to three of them (I make #4) within the past month that paid between $18,000 and $19500 for 2003 MMs with between 15,000 and 20,000 miles on the clock. As they say, a car (or anything, for that matter) is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Another example of the value guides being low is on the Buick Grand Nationals. The Kelly Blue Book shows a 1987 Grand National in excellent condition with 100,000 miles on it to be worth $8040 on a private sale. These cars are trading between private parties all over the country in the $10,000 and up range.

I would suggest using on-line and other price guides as just one source of information and to also make contact with enthusiast groups (like ours) before taking the price guide info as gospel. (Especially in the case of special interest cars) :)

gpfarrell
06-23-2005, 08:51 AM
...I would suggest using on-line and other price guides as just one source of information and to also make contact with enthusiast groups (like ours) before taking the price guide info as gospel. (Especially in the case of special interest cars) :)

I second that.

On popular, late-model cars which we might reasonably assume are in comparable condition, I think the guides can work well.

With regard to unusual cars though, they just can't dig up enough data to accurately estimate the price. Honda knows they can sell 300,000 Accords for $20k (or whatever), and 300,000 buyers know that if they're willing to pay $20k, they can get an Accord. Prices backed by 300,000 deals won't move much.

With Marauders, you might find a guy willing to pay $25,000... but he might be the only one. Likewise, you might find one for sale for $15,000... but odds are you won't find another. Hard to say what average is when there are so few deals to count.

The guides are a guide, but no bible.

Lastly, the older the cars get, the more the conditions vary... and the guide slips further away from reality.

Logan
06-23-2005, 09:13 AM
I second that.

On popular, late-model cars which we might reasonably assume are in comparable condition, I think the guides can work well.

With regard to unusual cars though, they just can't dig up enough data to accurately estimate the price. Honda knows they can sell 300,000 Accords for $20k (or whatever), and 300,000 buyers know that if they're willing to pay $20k, they can get an Accord. Prices backed by 300,000 deals won't move much.

With Marauders, you might find a guy willing to pay $25,000... but he might be the only one. Likewise, you might find one for sale for $15,000... but odds are you won't find another. Hard to say what average is when there are so few deals to count.

The guides are a guide, but no bible.

Lastly, the older the cars get, the more the conditions vary... and the guide slips further away from reality.

DUH!! Excellent job of stating the obvious on both counts. ;)

It goes without saying that there are obviously exceptions. If I want a marauder bad enough, I'll pay extra for one I like. So what.

They're a great starting point for expectations. For Instance, if there's someone considering trading in a 03 marauder w/20k miles and thinking they'll get $20k on their trade-in, they're dead wrong.

Market ebbs and flows are a given, you don't need to get on a soapbox about it.

twolow
06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
*watches Logan snap his fingers and bob his head*

Breadfan
06-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Logan's number are very close to realistic. Don't forget the two factors though:

Private Party : always less than a dealer price, it's harder to sell a car privately so the prices are generally lower than a dealer might sell the same car at. Anyone who tried to sell a car on their own based on what a dealer was selling knows this. KBB takes that into account too.

Trade In : Trade in values are closer to wholesale value of the car. This is not retail value, again, not what a dealer would sell at.

These numbers are correct but I'd expect at a dealer to pay about $1k more than the private party price. Actually most dealers will mark up considerably more than that but you can get out the door for less than they write on the windshield.

Marauder's are rare but unless you're bent on a blue or red (or even silver) one they're not so rare that prices are going up just yet. I found my Marauder and got a good deal on it the day after I started looking, and it was 4 miles from my house. :)

I got lucky there but at any given time in a 100 mile radius of me there is a decent Marauder for sale for a reasonable price. Again, so far only black and the occasional silver, so perhaps blue or red would fetch more.

mdmarauder
06-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Just as a ref. I sold my DTR 04 with 24k miles to a local Ford dealer for $21,100. I could have gotten a touch more probably but I need to sell ASAP. The car sold within four days. And this was me walking into the dealership and asking if they would like to buy my car outright.

Shora
07-13-2005, 05:07 AM
How much are you all paying for the Marauders? Is an 03 300A black with 14,500 miles a good deal at $20,000. From what I hear you guys are paying it seems like a fair deal at best.

Rkammer
07-13-2005, 05:23 AM
How much are you all paying for the Marauders? Is an 03 300A black with 14,500 miles a good deal at $20,000. From what I hear you guys are paying it seems like a fair deal at best.
From my perspective it's on the high side of fair. Similiar cars are selling in this range if they are in very clean condition with mileage as low as the one you're looking at. Good luck.