PDA

View Full Version : The New Corvette Z06

Rider90
06-24-2005, 07:09 AM
Has anyone seen the pics or heard about it?

427 cubes, 7 liters, 500 horsepower, 0-60 in 3.7 (still in first gear), and some genuine carbon fiber panels to reduce the weight.

I'll be day dreaming today...

Shaft333
06-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Aluminum Framework.
The floor boards are actually balsa wood covered in a composite material (maybe CF - I forget) to save weight.

Likely to be the best high performance bargain ever.

Sully008
06-24-2005, 07:45 AM
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/2006_vette_zo6/06corvetteZO65.jpg

http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/2006_vette_zo6/06corvetteZO6eng.jpg

Linky (http://www.fastcoolcars.com/2006-ZO6-Corvette.htm)

metroplex
06-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Balsa wood has been used for awhile.

It's fancy overpriced plastic toy car.

twolow
06-24-2005, 08:54 AM
The floor boards are actually balsa wood covered in a composite material (maybe CF - I forget) to save weight.
In a wreck do you get splinters?

Rkammer
06-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I was at my local Chevy dealer several weeks ago and one of the salesmen who seems to know the Z06 said that the testing went so well that GM has bumped up the advertized HP from 500 to 505 and that is conservative. I think Chevy has refined the Corvette into a great sports car.:burnout:

modular46
06-24-2005, 11:23 AM
I was at my local Chevy dealer several weeks ago and one of the salesmen who seems to know the Z06 said that the testing went so well that GM has bumped up the advertized HP from 500 to 505 and that is conservative. I think Chevy has refined the Corvette into a great sports car.:burnout:

They used a new SAE formula which gave them the extra 5 Hp. It's all in the calculations.

Rkammer
06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
They used a new SAE formula which gave them the extra 5 Hp. It's all in the calculations.
Of course. Sounds like the old numbres game is alive and well at GM Just like back in the 60s.

mrjones
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Has anyone seen the pics or heard about it?

427 cubes, 7 liters, 500 horsepower, 0-60 in 3.7 (still in first gear), and some genuine carbon fiber panels to reduce the weight.

I'll be day dreaming today...

If you buy one, don't forget to check the box when you're ordering it for option code R8C, Corvette Museum Delivery. Waaaay cool. You go to Bowling Green to pick it up at the National Corvette Museum, which is right across the street from the factory. After being taken on a tour of the factory, you get to the delivery area, and bam! there's your car in the museum. Plus, you can schedule your visit to be there a few days ahead of time and follow your car through the factory and watch it being built. Certainly worth the $490 for the option.

Mike Poore
06-24-2005, 03:15 PM
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/2006_vette_zo6/06corvetteZO65.jpg

Linky (http://www.fastcoolcars.com/2006-ZO6-Corvette.htm)
:eek: OMG! What a great looking car. Now I have two on my list. That and the Shelby GT 500 Mustang. I need more garage space, 'cause there's two more Mustangs coming out of storage, once the Mach 1 moves to Ohio. :shake:

Rkammer
06-24-2005, 03:15 PM
If you buy one, don't forget to check the box when you're ordering it for option code R8C, Corvette Museum Delivery. Waaaay cool. You go to Bowling Green to pick it up at the National Corvette Museum, which is right across the street from the factory. After being taken on a tour of the factory, you get to the delivery area, and bam! there's your car in the museum. Plus, you can schedule your visit to be there a few days ahead of time and follow your car through the factory and watch it being built. Certainly worth the $490 for the option.I was in Bowling Green last month for the Buick Musclecar Nationals and we went through the Corvette plant one day. We saw a couple picking up their new Vette out front after going through the factory tour. We followed them out of the parking lot and onto I64. I was in my WE4 Turbo T and a friend was in his Grand National. As he was getting on the on-ramp he gunned the Vette and we both ran by him, one on each side. Got a kick out of that. I can imagine him wondering how two old Buicks could get by his new Vette that easy. :banana2:

Shaft333
06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
I suspect that a Vette owner enthusiastic enough to pick it up at Bowling Green is knowledgeable of the legendary turbo Buicks. http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

ADE 1000
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
It's fancy overpriced plastic toy car.

:rolleyes: Yeah, sure it is.

One of these will definetly be in my garage to keep my other Z06 company once initial hoopla dies down.

BillyGman
06-25-2005, 01:26 AM

Likely to be the best high performance bargain ever.Well I dunno if I'd call that a "bargain" with a $70K price tag attached. Anyway, I like the engine, but that body style just doesn't do anything for me. It kinda looks like it has a bubble in the middle of it where George Jetson would be sitting. Kinda like a spaceship on wheels if you ask me. But I like the shift to more cubes under the hood. For $30K less, I think the GT500 will be much more of a "bargain" though.And one with a nicer looking body style too. Just my opinion.

Mike Poore
06-25-2005, 04:20 AM
[QUOTE=BillyGman] dunno if I'd call that a "bargain" with a $70K price tag Kinda like a spaceship on wheels
For $30K less, I think the GT500 will be much more of a "bargain" though.QUOTE]

Space ship on wheels? More like a rocket, you mean... and the $30K you save by buying the GT 500? That's my idea, exactly... Buy the GT 500, and put the $30k savings toward the Corvette ....just simple Econ. 101.:dunno:

ADE 1000
06-25-2005, 04:51 AM
For $30K less, I think the GT500 will be much more of a "bargain" though.And one with a nicer looking body style too. Just my opinion.

In terms of straightline speed, perhaps. I have no doubt that the Z06 will be faster than the GT500 in stock form, however we all can imagine how well the GT500 will respond to mods.

In any case, the Z06 is another league. Nothing under $100K can really compare. No matter how much horsepower you add to the GT500, it will not come close to matching the overall package the Z06 is.

The GT500 could not run with an old Z06 at the racetrack, let alone the new one.

texascorvette
06-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Pretty hard to remove the top of a Z06.

BillyGman
06-26-2005, 08:39 AM
The GT500 could not run with an old Z06 at the racetrack, let alone the new one.If you mean on a race track with turns, then your point is well taken, but if you mean that thje GT500 will not keep up with the old Z06 at the drag strip, then you're wrong about that. my Marauder will keep up with a stock Z06 at the drag strip, and I believe the GT500 will be in te high 11's with nothing more than drag radials.

But I still feel like puking when I see the Vette body style. it has that typical door wedge shape to it that most of the new cars have these days. It looks like Godzilla kicked it inderneath a door, and a tractor trailer truck hit it from behind. But yes, I'm sure it will out handle many other street cars when it comes out. I think that engine is fantastic, just as I think the GTO engine is too. It's just unfortunate that GM continues to waste good engines on ugly body styles :puke:

ADE 1000
06-26-2005, 10:39 AM
If you mean on a race track with turns, then your point is well taken, but if you mean that thje GT500 will not keep up with the old Z06 at the drag strip, then you're wrong about that. my Marauder will keep up with a stock Z06 at the drag strip, and I believe the GT500 will be in te high 11's with nothing more than drag radials.

Yes, a racetrack with turns is exactly what I meant. And that is exactly what a Z06 (new or old) was designed for. The fact that they do pretty well at the drag strip is simply a desirable side effect.

SergntMac
06-26-2005, 10:49 AM
So, how do you top a Z06?

You tep on the brake, tupid...

Mike Poore
06-26-2005, 10:53 AM
So, how do you top a Z06? You tep on the brake, tupid...
Tanks, :laugh: