PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new vehicle

klmore
06-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Before the flames start I am usually an American car guy and I'm really considering the GT500 when it comes out, but that is still a long time away and I really want a convertible. The Marauder will be retained as my daily driver.

Anyway, I was in the Porsche dealership yesterday and took a look at the new Boxster S and man is it nice. I like the new Cayman S that will be coming out soon, but this will be an extra car and I think I should get a convertible. I'm not much on imports, but that was one of the nicest cars I've seen in a while. In my opinion it is much better looking than the old Boxster.

Here is a picture. The one I was looking at was a blue/gray.

I want honest opinions. :)

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/04/boxsters05.jpg

Rider90
06-24-2005, 08:07 AM
What kind of power does it have? specs?

I sat in a Porsche about a year ago, I'm 6'2 @ 300lbs...man, I didn't fit at all. It felt just like I was 13 again sitting in a friend's Mazda Miata.

wchain
06-24-2005, 08:07 AM
If i was going to go European, convertible, in the price range you're looking at, I'd go SLK55.... :burnout:

Shaft333
06-24-2005, 08:13 AM
It's been awhile since I've checked out roadsters (and only as an amusement not for actually owning - Too tall)...
Be sure to check out some of the Boxsters competition. Back then the Honda S2000 was a better performing vehicle, without as much cost just it's not as much of a... um... well it doesn't say Porsche on the back.

Otherwise, I'd say I still appreciate seeing Porsches. Get one and drive it hard. (Except those damm SUV's... Those are a travesty.)

dwasson
06-24-2005, 08:23 AM
I like a closed car more than a roadster. But then I live in Michigan. If I was in the south I could rethink that. Get the Porshe. You'll have some good memories that your 401 K can't give you.

klmore
06-24-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm just considering it at this point. I'm not one to make quick decisions on car purchases, or any major purchases for that matter. It would be 6-12 months before I bought one if I made the decision today. I find that the members here make an excellent sounding board for ideas and opinions. Other than superchargers threads, I feel I can gain perspective on things I haven't considered.

Back to the specs.

Mid-engine, 3.2 liters, 6 cylinders
Torque 236 lb-ft @ 4,700 rpm
280 hp (SAE) @ 6,200 rpm

0-60 mph: 5.2 sec
Top Track Speed: 167 mph

I'm 5'11" so I don't think I would be that uncomfortable in it. My wife is 6'0" so I may have her sit in it. I would be willing to bet she would drive it more than I would anyway.

Tallboy
06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I do some freelance work for Porsche, and have spent more than a few hours behind the wheel of the cars you are considering.

The 05 Boxster is light years ahead of the old one in every measurable category. Interior quality, ride, handling, etc. are all vastly improved. My favorite thing about the new Boxster is the engine. The power is more than adequate, the sound of the exhaust is perfect, and I love the growl of the air intake and the feeling of the engine "pushing you in the back". I have taken numerous laps around Sebring in this car, as well as burning a couple tanks of fuel in daily driving, and could not find a weak spot. I am 6'5", 220 lbs. and fit quite comfortably in this car.

But, for the same money, you are in used Carrera territory. I have spent many hours behind the wheel of a 2000 C4, a 2004 C4S, and a 2003 Turbo Carrera. These are wonderful, very fast, and easily modified cars. If you want road course capability, and enought power to hang out at any dragstrip, these cars are well worth looking at. Check local availabilty on a 2004 C4 before deciding. They're quite a thrill.

Lastly. when you find a car you want, get the price and drop me a line. I'll run it through my local channels here to make sure you're getting a good deal, if you'd like. Also, if you find yourself in the position of having to buy a big-ticket "dealer-only" item, I can work wonders in that arena, also.

I hope this helps.:cool:

gpfarrell
06-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Well, I've spent lots of time comparing our Mustang to our Porsche, but seeing as they are 20+ years old I'm not sure how helpful that would be. I haven't sampled the new Boxster yet but I've spent some time in the previous generation... here's what I got:

The Porsche is all about precision. Stats really don't capture the feeling. Our 1983 911 only has 185 horsepower, but the mix of acceleration, handling, & braking is thrilling. That old car will play as long and hard as you want, and turns heads like Paris selling hamburgers.

Our Mustang is instant gratification. Stand on the Porsche and a symphony of acceleration starts. Stand on the Mustang and the posi squirts it all over the road. Ours isn't a one-trick pony; it's got Lincoln brakes up front and discs in the back as well as Eibach springs. It can stop and it can turn, but it's favorite event is still the straight-ahead C5 stomp.

I think the current models of both are true to those traditions. They'll do everything better than the old stuff, and while I'm sure the GT500 will stick to the road I can't imagine it will have the finesse of the P-car.

I've spent several weeks driving a base Boxster that the Vintage Grand Prix was using as a pace car. Since it wasn't a 911 or even an "S" I really wasn't expecting much... but the more I drove that car the more it won me over.

The handling was just amazing. I couldn't/wouldn't drive it fast enough on the road to even approach its cornering limits. I could put it anywhere in any corner, threading whatever needle I chose.

As a toy car, I like all the (ahem) character of our old 911 more. Having a back seat is handy for briefcases, bags, etc. And the new ones depreciate.

But you've got a can't lose decision here... just pick your flavor!

Tallboy
06-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Well, I've spent lots of time comparing our Mustang to our Porsche, but seeing as they are 20+ years old I'm not sure how helpful that would be. I haven't sampled the new Boxster yet but I've spent some time in the previous generation... here's what I got:

The Porsche is all about precision. Stats really don't capture the feeling. Our 1983 911 only has 185 horsepower, but the mix of acceleration, handling, & braking is thrilling. That old car will play as long and hard as you want, and turns heads like Paris selling hamburgers.

Our Mustang is instant gratification. Stand on the Porsche and a symphony of acceleration starts. Stand on the Mustang and the posi squirts it all over the road. Ours isn't a one-trick pony; it's got Lincoln brakes up front and discs in the back as well as Eibach springs. It can stop and it can turn, but it's favorite event is still the straight-ahead C5 stomp.

I think the current models of both are true to those traditions. They'll do everything better than the old stuff, and while I'm sure the GT500 will stick to the road I can't imagine it will have the finesse of the P-car.

I've spent several weeks driving a base Boxster that the Vintage Grand Prix was using as a pace car. Since it wasn't a 911 or even an "S" I really wasn't expecting much... but the more I drove that car the more it won me over.

The handling was just amazing. I couldn't/wouldn't drive it fast enough on the road to even approach its cornering limits. I could put it anywhere in any corner, threading whatever needle I chose.

As a toy car, I like all the (ahem) character of our old 911 more. Having a back seat is handy for briefcases, bags, etc. And the new ones depreciate.

But you've got a can't lose decision here... just pick your flavor!I envy the man who has both the Porsche and the Mustang. My 1983 Mustang Convertible is a nice "old school" toy. 302 punched .030, Headers, Hurst Competition Plus, etc. I've had it for over 20 yrs and just can't seem to get rid of it.

You're absolutely right-the numbers just don't tell the story on a Porsche. Since I already have a Mustang, a Porsche would be a welcome addition to the stable. However, put a 05 Boxster S and a GT500 in front of me and tell me I can have only one set of keys, and I think I'd have to toss a coin...:)

ckadiddle
06-24-2005, 12:23 PM
It's cute. It's red. It's a convertible. Don't let my wife see it. :)

gpfarrell
06-24-2005, 08:51 PM
I envy the man who has both the Porsche and the Mustang. )

Ahh... the grass is always greener... I envy your Trilogy!

QWK SVT
06-25-2005, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't throw the SLK32 AMG, either (I think they stopped making them, this year). Last time I was at the track, I talked a lot to a guy there with his... Nice looking, great handling a enough motivation under the hood to keep you smiling. He was running consistent 13.0's - 13.1's.

Supercharged and intercooled 3.2L V6 sohc, three valves per cylinder
Horsepower: 349 @ 6100 rpm
Torque: 332 @ 4400 rpm
Curb weight: 3,200 lb
0-60: 4.7 sec
Top speed: 155mph (electronically limited)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Mercedes-Benz/100003451/007244-E.jpg

Joe Walsh
06-25-2005, 07:49 AM
My only concern would be the Boxster's power...
the earlier ones were pretty feeble (for a Porsche) but from the other posts I gather that Porsche has remedied the 'pony quotiant'.

Boxster 'S' as a spare car :hmmm: ....I like the decisions you are faced with!

67435animal
06-25-2005, 07:57 AM
My only concern would be the Boxster's power...
the earlier ones were pretty feeble (for a Porsche) but from the other posts I gather that Porsche has remedied the 'pony quotiant'.

Boxster 'S' as a spare car :hmmm: ....I like the decisions you are faced with!

I'd buy the GT500. Better value unless you have Porsche $$$ to spend. Porsche makes a nice car that a guy like me would enjoy for a weekend. A GT500 would have a home in my garage (if I had room).

klmore
06-27-2005, 07:24 AM
I'd buy the GT500. Better value unless you have Porsche $$$ to spend. Porsche makes a nice car that a guy like me would enjoy for a weekend. A GT500 would have a home in my garage (if I had room).
Thanks for all the great info guys!

I'm really leaning toward the GT500, but I'm trying to weigh in the wife factor. I think she would never drive the GT500 unless it was a convertible and if I'm going to spend the money I would like it if both drivers in the family enjoyed it. I may wait to see if the GT500 is even produced in a drop top until I make my decision. :)