PDA

View Full Version : Caprice LT1 Advice?

Mard
06-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Don't stone me.......I'm a Caprice/Impala LT1 fan and I know some of you are also. I'm looking at a ex-cop car (1995, 9C1 with an LT1) to possibly buy as a commuter to keep miles down on the MM. Anyway, today I walked around it and it looks straight with lots of surface scratches, it started right up and it the engine sounds good and is clean under the hood. The only negatives I quickly noticed is one of the exhaust pipes has rotted and broke off just behind the axle and rear spare is missing. Had a new alternator and fairly new after market chrome steel wheels with big fat Kuhmo's all around. The miles are getting up there at 150,000 and I'm not sure what the typical life span of an LT1 is:confused: .

It's located at a small dealership, maybe a dozen cars, and they received it on trade. They are asking $2400 which seems very reasonable/cheap. The feeling I got from the owner of the dealership was he didn't know much about it, besides it is a big car that goes fast. I'm thinking of taking it for a test drive tomorrow and was wondering if there any problem area with these cars I should look out for?

Thanks

Smokie
06-28-2005, 07:06 PM
I am sure you will get good responses here, my advise is pose your question here:http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi. They have a pretty good bunch over there also.

Bradley G
06-28-2005, 07:36 PM
If it runs and drives well.

After a long test drive, park it and let it idle for a few minutes on a clean bit of pavement.
Check trans, for brite red fluid. Shut it off, examine for leaks.If everything checks out OK,
Offer what ever less $, you think it may cost to repair any safety
issues, (If any).
Good luck!, tell us how you make out.
Bradley G

Mard
06-28-2005, 07:54 PM
I am sure you will get good responses here, my advise is pose your question here:http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi. They have a pretty good bunch over there also.
I went ahead a signed up on the Impala website to post my question. I let everyone know I'm a Marauder dude. Felt like I was standing in public with no pants on.

Eric91Z
06-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Those motors will run forever, but big things to watch are:

1) Optispark
2) Water pump
3) Tranny

Other than that, they are pretty rock solid cars and the optispark and water pump, while not cheap, are easy to replace. Easy cars to work on and lots of aftermarket support. You will find lots of good information over at the Impala Forums (I am a member there, too).

Bradley G
06-28-2005, 08:40 PM
While you were standing there, Did you wave your "Private Parts" at them?:D

Bradley G

I went ahead a signed up on the Impala website to post my question. I let everyone know I'm a Marauder dude. Felt like I was standing in public with no pants on.

MarauderMarc
06-28-2005, 08:55 PM
I think that you should get an old crown vic interceptor or better yet a mustang interceptor. Yes the chevys are ALRIGHT, but nothing beats a nice Ford. Just my opinion though....

01 Interceptor
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Since I am an avid fan of both autos...not to mention owning both a panther car and Impala SS. I will say that 150k is not something to worry about if the car is otherwise in good shape. I can come on down and meet you and take the car for a ride and let you know what my thoughts are on it. For the record my SS has 195k miles...on the second water pump (why? I dunno lol) and on the second opti, but I think maybe it'll need replacing in the next 10k. I also had the fuel pump replaced around 140k, good thing it failed in my driveway. They are great cars if in good condition. I can tell you that you WILL...not maybe, you WILL get far better fuel mileage than any panther car, if the engine is running in top shape. But if you want me to help you out with the decision...PM me and I'll be happy to do it.

wchain
06-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Cabbies LOVE Caprices. 300K out of a LT1 is not unusual.

OptiSparks are fun, but once you do it one time, it gets easier. I can do an opti in a couple of hours. Plugs and wires are a pain, but take your time, and everything should be good.

When I had my 95, I had replaced the opti, and after a 140+ mph run, it failed. I replaced it again and never had any issues afterwards. B Bodies are pretty easy to work on overall.

At 150K I would consider just rebuilding the front end (or at least just the Ball Joints and Idler/Pitman arms), Plugs, Wires, Water Pump, Opti, and Fuel Filter.

Is it a 9C1? If not, Add a trans cooler when you service the transmission. Also, watch those electric fans. I ended up ripping mine out and replacing with a Flex Lite Black Magic fan.

Good luck.
Heres the Dark Cherry Metallic One
http://images6.fotki.com/v101/photos/4/41821/154436/front-vi.jpg

And the Texas DPS 9C1
http://images1.fotki.com/v4/photos/4/41821/104988/9c1front-vi.jpg

Rider90
06-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Cabbies LOVE Caprices. 300K out of a LT1 is not unusual.

Cabbies used to love caprices ;) The reason why Cabbies are not requesting caprices as much as they did is for the customer reason. Many customers do not want to get in something considered "Old" like something from nine years ago. They'll get into a 98+ Crown Vic any day of the week because heck, it could be a 2004 or a 1998 - the customer doesn't know. Well most of them anyway. A newer car = better tips, they're smart.

wchain
06-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Cabbies used to love caprices ;) The reason why Cabbies are not requesting caprices as much as they did is for the customer reason. Many customers do not want to get in something considered "Old" like something from nine years ago. They'll get into a 98+ Crown Vic any day of the week because heck, it could be a 2004 or a 1998 - the customer doesn't know. Well most of them anyway. A newer car = better tips, they're smart.

http://www.olaviahokas.com/carpage/carsnorway/5.jpg

What about the older checker cabs that used to run around New York all the time?

I dont know, since you cant hail a cab in houston (have to call one in) but I dont think people in Cab heavy places (NY, DC etc) usually "look" for a Newer or more modern cab, but I could be wrong. They're just tyring to get from Point A to B. A Car service, may be difrerent, but cabs? Meh....

Rider90
06-30-2005, 08:09 AM
You make a good point, maybe its just time changing. I see many requests everyday for a new cab and I hear feedback from the drivers that drive the old ones. They said they don't get tipped as well as they did when they drove a Crown Vic (As they generally swap from cab to cab per the fleet manager)

I think it would be great if Checker was still in business, you ever seen one of those cars in person? built like a tank. The bumpers were THICK, and you can tell they were easily swappable.

People in the City: Mostly A to B
People in the Suburbs: They want a clean car and a nice ride

Good point Wes

ex00p71
06-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Checker Cab with a 502, that would be cool.:drive:

PJR
06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Those motors will run forever, but big things to watch are:

1) Optispark
2) Water pump
3) Tranny

Other than that, they are pretty rock solid cars and the optispark and water pump, while not cheap, are easy to replace. Easy cars to work on and lots of aftermarket support. You will find lots of good information over at the Impala Forums (I am a member there, too). Look at the weep hole on the water pump. Once the pump is starting to fail, the weep hole drains toward the optispark. The fuel pump is a big pain to change. It's in the gas tank. If the tank was kept above half, it helps the fuel pump last longer. (It keeps the pump cool) I never let my MM tank get below half.

wchain
06-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Look at the weep hole on the water pump. Once the pump is starting to fail, the weep hole drains toward the optispark. The fuel pump is a big pain to change. It's in the gas tank. If the tank was kept above half, it helps the fuel pump last longer. (It keeps the pump cool) I never let my MM tank get below half.

Oh come on Paul! B Body fuel pumps are FUN! :D I replaced mine, it was easier than a Panther IMO, but the tank is flat like a pancake, so its easy to swap!

jgc61sr2002
06-30-2005, 05:58 PM
http://www.olaviahokas.com/carpage/carsnorway/5.jpg

What about the older checker cabs that used to run around New York all the time?

I dont know, since you cant hail a cab in houston (have to call one in) but I dont think people in Cab heavy places (NY, DC etc) usually "look" for a Newer or more modern cab, but I could be wrong. They're just tyring to get from Point A to B. A Car service, may be difrerent, but cabs? Meh....

The Checker Cabs are history. :( They sure did have a lot of room, although the extended Crown Vics are about 4 inches longer than the standard GM or Crown Vic. :)

PJR
06-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Oh come on Paul! B Body fuel pumps are FUN! :D I replaced mine, it was easier than a Panther IMO, but the tank is flat like a pancake, so its easy to swap! An even easier fix is to bang on the gas tank in that area with a rubber mallet.
I've seen our fleet maintenance guys do it on several occasions!!:)

Rider90
06-30-2005, 09:16 PM
An even easier fix is to bang on the gas tank in that area with a rubber mallet.
I've seen our fleet maintenance guys do it on several occasions!!:)

Yup. I've never seen them actually use a rubber mallet, the method I've seen is sit on the ground, feet forward, and do a few kicks upward.

Mard
06-30-2005, 10:01 PM
You guys are great....thanks for the tips, but I have bad news. I never got a chance to see what it had. I went by the dealership yesterday around 6:15 and they had closed at 6:00. Went back earlier today earlier (3:00) at it was gone:eek: ...sold. I'm guessing someone got a pretty good car for the money. I did snap a picture of it Wednesday evening. Hopefully you open the attachment.

Bradley G
07-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Having sold cars for a fair bit, I can attest to, being ready to pull the trigger on a good, cheap, used car.

If you don't, often times, someone will beat you to it!
You will find something soon! ;)
Bradley G