PDA

View Full Version : Mild Concern

scareme
06-30-2005, 11:17 AM
For the first time since putting the new BFG's on my MM, I tried to do a power brake burn out. With the old tires I was able to smoke'em no problem. When I tried today I barely got any spin at all. I was able to burn the old style BFG's even when they were brand new. Just windering if these tires have that much grip or if I lost power somewhere??? Got 4.30's, tuner, cold air. Any comments appreciated, hoping it's a case of good tires.

fastblackmerc
06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
For the first time since putting the new BFG's on my MM, I tried to do a power brake burn out. With the old tires I was able to smoke'em no problem. When I tried today I barely got any spin at all. I was able to burn the old style BFG's even when they were brand new. Just windering if these tires have that much grip or if I lost power somewhere??? Got 4.30's, tuner, cold air. Any comments appreciated, hoping it's a case of good tires.
Sounds like good tires.

Shaft333
06-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Higher temps causing the tires to be even stickier?

BillyGman
06-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm very surprised to hear that. Uhmm, you did put the go pedal to the floor, right? If your car has traction control, are you sure that you shut it off first?

scareme
07-01-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm very surprised to hear that. Uhmm, you did put the go pedal to the floor, right? If your car has traction control, are you sure that you shut it off first?

That's why I am concerned, no traction control as it's a 2003, and I never had a problem even when the car was bone stock, it's like I lost what little bottom end I had in the past. I went through two sets of tires in the first 15,000 miles by being stupid and having fun. The new tires spin but its like I'm pushing the gas half throttle. I must ad i noticed my gas mileage has been horrible as of late compared to the past.

Rider90
07-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Sounds like good tires.

Ditto. I had POS Goodyears on my Crown Vic that would spin and spin all day long, felt like I had 400 HP until I finally got traction :D It's a very nice tire.

scareme
07-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Ditto. I had POS Goodyears on my Crown Vic that would spin and spin all day long, felt like I had 400 HP until I finally got traction :D It's a very nice tire.

Sounds good in my book, I'm hoping that is the case.

MENINBLK
07-01-2005, 08:39 AM
That's why I am concerned, no traction control as it's a 2003, and I never had a problem even when the car was bone stock, it's like I lost what little bottom end I had in the past. I went through two sets of tires in the first 15,000 miles by being stupid and having fun. The new tires spin but its like I'm pushing the gas half throttle. I must ad I noticed my gas mileage has been horrible as of late compared to the past.

I'm going to get shot for this cause I am always bringing this up... :uzi:

Have you serviced your transmission lately ?
If you are going to play hard, you'll have to service your vehicle
much more frequently than someone who casually drives one.
Burnouts, and a lot of WOT takeoffs puts a lot of stress
on the engine and transmission.
This in turn will accelerate the degradation of the oils in each.

FORD recommends servicing the transmission every 30,000 miles
but if you listen to them, your tranny will fail when you are out
of the warranty, and it will take a huge amount of money
out of your pocket.

I've always recommended that under normal service,
that you change your transmission oil every 15k - 18k miles,
regardless of your vehicle.
Oils have a life of their own, and they are for the lifetime of the vehicle,
and FORD's definition of your vehicles lifetime is 3 years or 36,000 miles.
Afte that, they don't want to know anything about your vehicle...

So when you are playing hard, you may want to step up your
maintenance schedule a bit so that you will always have fresh oils
in your vehicle.
It will only help to maintain the performance you desire, and extend
the life of the vehicle you are currently enjoying.

I would suggest that you try and get your transmission serviced
and flushed by your dealer, so you know it has close to a 100%
transmission oil change.
This should help to improve things.
If, by any chance, things don't improve return to your dealer
and tell him about your performance concerns,
and they can do some basic pressure testing on your transmission
to make sure you aren't loosing any internal pressure.

As far as your MPG goes, that a side effect of driving the Marauder hard.
Our Marauder's computer 'learns' how you drive and suits itself for it.
You can program the computer with a tune, and it may help restore some MPG
and even give you a little edge on some more HP.
But to help the Marauder relearn your driving, you'll need to disconnect the battery,
and leave it disconencted for at least 30 minutes so that the computer
can reset the memory mapping of everything it has learned.
Then when you reconnect the battery, the Marauder should drive like the day
you first took it out of the showroom, and then re-adjust to your driving habits.

scareme
07-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input. I have changed it twice in 48,000 and am going to give the third in a week or so, as for the gas mileage, I have noticed the decline, but have been very easy on it as of late. I got most of the hard driving out of my system early. I still occasionally drive it hard but since I noticed this I've been driving like a granny.

BillyGman
07-02-2005, 01:42 AM
Sounds to me like you just need to give it more gas when you do that because of the better tires you have now.

Breadfan
07-02-2005, 08:59 AM
That's why I am concerned, no traction control as it's a 2003, and I never had a problem even when the car was bone stock, it's like I lost what little bottom end I had in the past. I went through two sets of tires in the first 15,000 miles by being stupid and having fun. The new tires spin but its like I'm pushing the gas half throttle. I must ad i noticed my gas mileage has been horrible as of late compared to the past.
Um, I have a 2003 and Traction Control. You don't? I thought it was standard on all cars.

Todd
07-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Um, I have a 2003 and Traction Control. You don't? I thought it was standard on all cars.
I think it was late 2003's that got it. Mine was built in May of 2003 and has it. Maybe his was earlier???? :dunno:

Logan
07-02-2005, 09:30 AM
300A models produced from May through September of 2002 didn't have traction control. A small number of transition 300B's in the September time frame didn't either.

Past September 2002, all marauder's were equipped with traction control.

RoyLPita
07-02-2005, 10:03 AM
300A models produced from May through September of 2002 didn't have traction control. A small number of transition 300B's in the September time frame didn't either.

Past September 2002, all marauder's were equipped with traction control.

I thought 300Bs started after 11/15/02.

BillyGman
07-02-2005, 03:20 PM

Past September 2002, all marauder's were equipped with traction control......my Marauder says 10/02 on the door jam, and it doesn't have traction control either.;)

SergntMac
07-02-2005, 03:57 PM
You own better tires now, period. And, sticker tires too.

Sticker tires mean you leave faster, and with less noise, and less smoke.

Sticker tires also mean they will wear out sooner. You will be faster, but you will replace sooner too. This has always been an element in the equasion. If you want to go fast, buy sticker tires. But, be ready to buy again sooner too.

If you want to show, do burnouts, squeal to no end on the street and beg everyone's attention to your hard driving MM, you can pick a tire that can do that really neat, and much cheaper than real race tires. But, you're not going to do both at the same time.

scareme
07-04-2005, 10:10 AM
You own better tires now, period. And, sticker tires too.

Sticker tires mean you leave faster, and with less noise, and less smoke.

Sticker tires also mean they will wear out sooner. You will be faster, but you will replace sooner too. This has always been an element in the equasion. If you want to go fast, buy sticker tires. But, be ready to buy again sooner too.

If you want to show, do burnouts, squeal to no end on the street and beg everyone's attention to your hard driving MM, you can pick a tire that can do that really neat, and much cheaper than real race tires. But, you're not going to do both at the same time.

That's all I was hoping for. I could care less about the burnouts, it just made me nervous. I would now obviously have to say these are excellent tires! Thanks all for the input.