PDA

View Full Version : Price check: 2005 CV LX Sport

Fourth Horseman
07-02-2005, 07:52 PM
So I test drove a 2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport today with only 918 miles on the clock. I wasn't really considering a purchase, but I haggled with the salesman and got them down to $19,000 flat for it. It was a real pretty dark metalic grey color, leather interior (light flint, I think?), six disc changer, t/c, some other little features. It did not have all the options, but it was very clean and looked good.

My question is on the price. Doesn't $19k seem low for a car like that? I wanted to take her home and stable her next to the Marauder, but I just can't afford a second car right now.

the_pack_rat
07-02-2005, 08:01 PM
I love that dark met grey ..... I would have liked to see that color as an option on our MM's.

I'm assuming this one is used ?.

$31K + new they list out as.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/crownvictoria/

MENINBLK
07-02-2005, 08:49 PM
With 918 miles it sounds like a promo.
This means either a Sales or Service Manager drove it.
Lots of times promos have rebates, markdowns, and promotional offers, attached to them.
It doesn't hurt to ask why you are getting such a great deal.
They will be more than happy to explain it to you if it will boost your confidence in your purchase.

Fourth Horseman
07-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Yes, it was used and I also forgot to mention that it still had the clear plastic sticker protector things over the radio display and the climate control display. You know the ones that are there to prevent stratching during assembly/shipping? They said "For removal by dealer" or something like that.

I'll bet you're right, MENINBLK, it was probably a promo. I never thought of that. Thanks for the feedback.

the_pack_rat: yup, that's the car. $31k new is why I was so surprised to see one with under 1,000 miles going for $19k. Wish I could afford her. :cry:

Rider90
07-02-2005, 11:16 PM
31k new = 0 miles
19k used = less than 1k miles

Thats a $12,000 drop in under 1,000 miles of driving. I hope those were good miles :eek:

RoyLPita
07-03-2005, 02:57 AM
send me the VIN. I'll run an OASIS report.

martyo
07-03-2005, 06:34 AM
I wanted to take her home and stable her next to the Marauder, but I just can't afford a second car right now.

Just out of curiosity, why did you test drive a vehicle that you knew you wouldn't be purchasing?

ctrcbob
07-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Ditto to what Martyo said. Also, why did you dicker on the price if you don't want (or can't afford) two cars?

martyo
07-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Also, why did you dicker on the price if you don't want (or can't afford) two cars?

That was going to be my follow up question. :confused:

Smokie
07-03-2005, 07:04 AM
I went to the Ford site were they list the price of the C/V Sport about $31,000. Seems to me that the MM, was not such a bad deal after all. considering that not many folks paid the $35,500 sticker price.

One minor unrelated rant, when you go to Performance section, Fords does not mention any performance specs.
When you go to Lexus, you get 0-60 and top track speed. For the sports sedans.

MENINBLK
07-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I went to the Ford site were they list the price of the C/V Sport about $31,000. Seems to me that the MM, was not such a bad deal after all. considering that not many folks paid the $35,500 sticker price.

One minor unrelated rant, when you go to Performance section, Fords does not mention any performance specs.
When you go to Lexus, you get 0-60 and top track speed. For the sports sedans.

That is Lexus' way of justifying all the money you spend for a modified Camry...

RoyLPita
07-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Just out of curiosity, why did you test drive a vehicle that you knew you wouldn't be purchasing?

Test driving vehicles can actually be considered a "hobby". I used to alot when I was looking for a 5.0 Mustang.

MarauderMarc
07-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Nothing wrong with test driving even when you are not serious...I used to do that alot, and still do every once in a while to check out the new cars, test them out, and such. So yes, to some of us, it can be a hobby. The good thing about it is that I always leave thankful I have a Marauder! Too bad you couldnt score that CV...that is an excellent price......Marc

martyo
07-03-2005, 02:28 PM
You know I like you guys (well, most of you anyway), but car salesmen get bashed and then their are folks who consider it a "hobby" to go on test drives with no intention of buying? What gives? You are wasting someone's time (the sales person's). Does that count for anything?

Smokie
07-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Time has incredible value, right Marty ???.:D

jgc61sr2002
07-03-2005, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Fourth Horseman]Yes, it was used and I also forgot to mention that it still had the clear plastic sticker protector things over the radio display and the climate control display. You know the ones that are there to prevent stratching during assembly/shipping? They said "For removal by dealer" or something like that.

You are supposed to remove them? :laugh: :laugh:

duhtroll
07-03-2005, 04:51 PM
It's a TEST drive.

test-drive (tstdrv)
tr.v. test-·drove, (-drv) test-·driv·en, (-drvn) test-·driv·ing, test-·drives

To drive (a motor vehicle) to evaluate performance and condition.

test drive n.

Geez.

How are you going to know what car you want to buy in the future unless you test drive several?

Does that mean you never drive a car that you don't think is for you, just in case you might like it?

I wonder how many MM owners would not have purchased their cars if they had followed that rule. I wouldn't have.

If you don't drive the car, you are either evaluating it solely by looks or listening to what magazines say about the car for your opinions. and we all know how unbiased THEY can be. :shake:

The purpose of a test drive for the *dealer* is to get your ass in the seat and your body into the building so that even if you don't buy a car now, if you are treated right you might come back and buy one later.

Any dealer that doesn't treat their test drivers well doesn't do very good business, and then wonders why.

It's not like he said he took it out to deliberately beat on it or anything. He saw a price, drove the car, and considered it.

Do you buy everything *you* drive?

-A

MarauderMarc
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
You know, I was just on a test drive when I bought my Marauder.....You never know what you might find.....How else are we supposed to drive a car that we are interested in??? If I like the new GT 500, how else am I ever going to drive one??? Enterprise Rent-a-car doesnt carry them. Show me the alternative and I will stop...until then I was driving by the LM dealership and I saw this nice.......

Ricka11
07-03-2005, 06:36 PM
duhtroll:

I resemble that opinion, nyuk,nyuk,nyuk.

Really, how many of us have spent all day, or weeks with a realtor and not buy a house. Or went to Sears and spent several hours with the salesman deciding on which washer and dryer to buy, only to go over to BestBuy and buy it from them..... Why hell, just a couple of weeks ago I was in the Ford dealership getting an oil change and tire rotation for my wife's Escape. I was just walking around the showroom and admiring a red Ford Five Hundred. It took me over 20 minutes to convince the salesman who approached me that, "I Did Not Want To Go Out For A Test Drive." As soon as he walked away, within a few minutes another salesman approached me and you know the rest of the story. This is the nature of the beast!

Fourth Horseman
07-03-2005, 09:14 PM

I've never driven a Crown Vic sport before, and wanted to see how it performed. After I warmed the engine up on the test drive I did a WOT launch from a standing stop to see how it pulled. Overall it was a nice car, but it certainly didn't have the punch of a Marauder. The suspension was softer too. When it comes time for a second car I think I'll consider a CV Sport. It'd make a good daily driver.

Fourth Horseman
07-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Ditto to what Martyo said. Also, why did you dicker on the price if you don't want (or can't afford) two cars?

To see what they were willing to let it go for, obviously. What's the big mystery there? If they would have come down far enough I might have pulled the trigger. I was tempted as it was, but decided to wait.

Fourth Horseman
07-03-2005, 09:19 PM
You know I like you guys (well, most of you anyway), but car salesmen get bashed and then their are folks who consider it a "hobby" to go on test drives with no intention of buying? What gives? You are wasting someone's time (the sales person's). Does that count for anything?

Hold on there, chief. I told the salesman up front that I didn't think I was ready to buy. He suggested a test drive and that we run the numbers any way. So if his time was wasted it was his own fault. Further, who's to say that I won't be back there to buy a second car in a year or 18 months when I'm ready. If I didn't ask, I wouldn't have known if I could afford it or not, would I?

Or are you just trying to stir the pot here and start something? If so, please find another mark. Thanks.