PDA

View Full Version : Ford Matches GM, Chrysler With Employee-Discount Plan

SouLRioT
07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=aqwU66oa1plE&refer=home

July 5 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., the second-biggest U.S. automaker, will match General Motors Corp. and DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler in offering an incentive through Aug. 1 that gives all buyers the same discount as employees, a spokesman said.

The program, called the ``Ford Family Plan,'' will begin tomorrow and apply to 2005 models, spokesman David Reuter said in an interview. Earlier today, GM said that its program, which contributed to a 47 percent increase in June U.S. sales, will be extended to August 1. Chrysler, which like Ford didn't match GM's program in June, begins its offer tomorrow.

``GM is forcing the others to roll it out, and it just stresses the competitive pressures that have been brought to bear in the market,'' said Wil Stith, a portfolio manager at MTB Investment Advisors in Baltimore, who helps manage about $2 billion in fixed-income assets including Ford and GM debt. ``The gains could be fleeting, but it was a good ploy from GM.''

GM and Ford, the two biggest U.S. automakers, have tried several new programs this year to reverse market share losses to competitors such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Nissan Motor Co. Ford has lost U.S. market share for 28 straight months, and declining sales prompted Ford to twice lower its earnings forecast this year, most recently on June 21. Ford's first quarter profit fell 38 percent.

The company now expects full-year profit, excluding some one- time costs, of $1 to $1.25 a share compared with an original forecast of $1.75 to $1.95 in January. Ford doesn't make forecasts for net income. On May 5, Standard & Poor's cut its ratings on Ford debt to junk status, BB+.

Mustangs Not Included

Under the Ford offer, customers will be offered reduced prices and cash rebates. For example, the XLT version of the Ford Escape sport-utility vehicle will have a discounted price of $23,335 compared with the normal $26,070, Reuter said. Customers will be offered an additional $2,000 off, putting their final cost at $21,335, he said.

Dealers are being notified today of the plan's details, and the first advertisements will go out tomorrow, Reuter said. The program doesn't apply to Ford Mustang and GT cars and the hybrid Escape sport-utility vehicle, he said.

GM's June employee discount offer helped lift U.S. industry sales for the month to an annual rate of about 17.5 million cars and trucks, from 15.4 million in June 2004 and 16.7 million in May, according to AutoData Corp. of Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Ford's sales in June rose 0.7 percent. Its U.S. market share fell to 17.2 percent from 19.8 percent a year earlier.

GM shares rose 18 cents to $34.91 at 2:57 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have fallen 13 percent this year. Ford rose 9 cents to $10.40.

Macon Marauder
07-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Hmmm - Mustang not included. Just like with Chevrolet: Corvette not included. The bastages...

Bluerauder
07-05-2005, 01:35 PM
July 5 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., the second-biggest U.S. automaker, will match General Motors Corp. and DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler in offering an incentive through Aug. 1 that gives all buyers the same discount as employees, a spokesman said.

The program, called the ``Ford Family Plan,'' will begin tomorrow and apply to 2005 models, spokesman David Reuter said in an interview.

Mustangs Not Included

Mustangs not included. :rolleyes:

How about the Ford GT ??? :rofl: Wonder what that goes for with an employee discount? :rofl:

MENINBLK
07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
There is one big problem with this...

Ford doesn't have an equivalent Employee Purchase plan like GM does.
The A/Z Plan is the bottom line and it doesn't get any lower than that
on new vehicles without rebates or incentives...

Mike Poore
07-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I like the GM ad's; especially the girl who hates teamwork, and giggles about biting someone at a team meeting. .... Very clever.:rolleyes:

Bradley G
07-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't know that to be true?

Explain how they are different?
Bradley G

There is one big problem with this...

Ford doesn't have an equivalent Employee Purchase plan like GM does.
The A/Z Plan is the bottom line and it doesn't get any lower than that
on new vehicles without rebates or incentives...

MENINBLK
07-05-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't know that to be true?

Explain how they are different?
Bradley G

I'm going to check with my salesperson tomorrow and find out
what the new pricing is now.
The procing also only covers 2005 vehicles, not 2006, which are starting to arrive now.

I was there last week, looking at a 2005 Freestyle Limited.
He pulled out a couple of invoices and was showing me invoice prices
and the various plan prices.
He noted the A/Z price was used on several 'Loyalty' plans
and it was the price used for employees as well.
But he went on to say that GM had a better employee purchase than all of the manufacturers
and that the emplyee purchase price came directly from GM when an employee ordered a vehicle.
It was never noted on any documents or dealer invoices.