PDA

View Full Version : Higher horsepower cars in fewer accidents!

chasrein01
07-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Just saw a blip about this story in Mustang Monthly and had to look it up. Seems Progressive Insurance Group did the study.

http://pressroom.progressive.com/releases/Hi_Horsepower_05.asp

Just means that I have to add to the horsepower now!:D

MERCMAN
07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Interesting!! However, as usual, one can prove ANYTHING with statistics. I believe the higher cost involved with cars over 300 HP involved in accidents would be due to the fact that they are more expensive to begin with, ERGO, more expensive to repair when involved in an accident. :up:

rocknrod
07-07-2005, 12:00 PM
And "kids" aint buyin em. Hence. .. . . . . .

chasrein01
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
And "kids" aint buyin em. Hence. .. . . . . .

But they are able to buy the older Mustangs, Camaros, and other cars that do have over 200 hp. And I do agree that when the cars are in an accident, the costs are more...only because the driver thought they could outdrive their car and the other idiot and often forget where the brake is!

jgc61sr2002
07-07-2005, 04:08 PM
The insurance companies should lower the rates accordinly. :D :rofl:

Bluerauder
07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Just saw a blip about this story in Mustang Monthly and had to look it up. Seems Progressive Insurance Group did the study.

The findings also hold true in sub-groups of the study vehicles. That is, the higher the horsepower, the less frequent the accident.

Well these findings don't surprise me at all :rolleyes: ... and it fits very nicely into my theory that on average, the folks that own and operate performance vehicles are better drivers overall. :up: They are more confident and more aware of the cars performance, its capabilities and its limitations.

Joe Walsh
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Interesting!! However, as usual, one can prove ANYTHING with statistics. I believe the higher cost involved with cars over 300 HP involved in accidents would be due to the fact that they are more expensive to begin with, ERGO, more expensive to repair when involved in an accident. :up:

Exactly! Higher HP = Higher price and Higher cost to repair....

BTW....are they talking about RWHP or FWHP??? (FlyWheel HP) :D ;)