PDA

View Full Version : Tire Problem

njmarauder
07-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I know this has been discussed on here recently, but is there a concensus as to the best solution to the rear tire problem?

I'm told nothing for at least 6 months as per my local tire shop. And even then its not definite they will make them again.

The KDW2 solution doesn't work becuase I'm in Jersey and need all-season.

Please help! I'm down to the safety marks in the back and I have steel showing through the front thanks to our factory alignment specs.

:mad2:

rocknrod
07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Check with the Tire Rack, call em on the phone, vice the internet ordering process. 888-541-1777 (USA) or 574-287-2345
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp?keyword=Homepage&GCID=C13674x017&

njmarauder
07-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Check with the Tire Rack, call em on the phone, vice the internet ordering process. 888-541-1777 (USA) or 574-287-2345
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp?keyword=Homepage&GCID=C13674x017&
NG, but thanks.

fastblackmerc
07-07-2005, 01:59 PM
NG, but thanks.
Check eBay. Item# 7984233768

SergntMac
07-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Shop for something in 255/55/18, they will fit fine.

fastblackmerc
07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Shop for something in 255/55/18, they will fit fine.
Lotsa of 255/55/18's on eBay.

jgc61sr2002
07-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Tire Rack has the rear tires on back order, available date unknown. :(

Rkammer
07-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Tire Rack has the rear tires on back order, available date unknown. :(
Tire Kingdom here in Orlando has them in stock and told me that they can get as many as one would want. I almost bought two until I came upon a better deal on ebay. ($395 for 4).

bigslim
07-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Bel Tire here has the KDW2's here in stock. They ordered a set for me but I changed my mine and will be getting the Nittos and wider wheels.

Johnman
07-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I've decided to go with the KDW2's, as I don't need snow capability down here in TX. I'm going with 255/55/18 rears and 245/45/18 fronts. These tires should be stickier and give the car even more of a "rake". For the stock tires, eBay seems the only option now.

Rkammer
07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I've decided to go with the KDW2's, as I don't need snow capability down here in TX. I'm going with 255/55/18 rears and 245/45/18 fronts. These tires should be stickier and give the car even more of a "rake". For the stock tires, eBay seems the only option now.
I must interject here (for the sake of accuracy) that the OEM BFGs are not out of stock nationally. Tire Rack seems to be the only source that is having trouble getting them as I just, within the past 30 minutes, called Tire Kingdon and Action Gator Tires here in Orlando and they each called their distributors and confirmed that these tires, both fronts and rears, are available now. Tire Kingdon said their source had 16 of them in stock for immediate delivery. Don't know what the problem with Tire Rack is. I, for one, would like to run the OEM tires as long as possible now that we have the proper front end specs to help them last. My fronts just turned 20,000 and have 5/32 left. My rears have 3/32 left in the middle and 5/32 on the outsides. That's good enough for me. :coolman:

valleyman
07-08-2005, 10:28 PM
My experience is the same as Rkammer's. Both Tire Rack and Discounttire Direct have the rear tires on back order on their websites, but two days ago one independent tire store here in Fresno had a few in stock and two chain stores, Big O and America's Tire, had them in their southern California warehouses. I took one day delivery on one tire (I'm gonna burn up my OEM spare and then change over to the KDW2) from America's Tire and it was $16 more than Tire Rack and I didn't have to pay for shipping (but I did have to pay Calif. tax). So they are out there at least on the West Coast.

njmarauder
07-11-2005, 09:26 AM
My experience is the same as Rkammer's. Both Tire Rack and Discounttire Direct have the rear tires on back order on their websites, but two days ago one independent tire store here in Fresno had a few in stock and two chain stores, Big O and America's Tire, had them in their southern California warehouses. I took one day delivery on one tire (I'm gonna burn up my OEM spare and then change over to the KDW2) from America's Tire and it was $16 more than Tire Rack and I didn't have to pay for shipping (but I did have to pay Calif. tax). So they are out there at least on the West Coast.

All taken care of, long story. The local tire dealer would not put any different size tires on the rear. Said they would be liable if anything should happen, and also it would affect abs system. They confirmed through Michelin, these tires are on national back order. I left there with new fronts and the recommendation to call BJ's Costco locally to try to find a location that had the rears in stock. Ended up calling a local Mercury dealer, and after being on hold for 15 minutes was told they had 2 in stock. Ran down there picked them up for $100 cash each. After sale I said what's up with the price, he said we've had these here 2 years and your the first person to even ask about them, so we juct want to get rid of them. Went back to local tire store and had them installed the next day.

AzMarauder
07-16-2005, 02:24 PM
All taken care of, long story. The local tire dealer would not put any different size tires on the rear. Said they would be liable if anything should happen, and also it would affect abs system. They confirmed through Michelin, these tires are on national back order. I left there with new fronts and the recommendation to call BJ's Costco locally to try to find a location that had the rears in stock. Ended up calling a local Mercury dealer, and after being on hold for 15 minutes was told they had 2 in stock. Ran down there picked them up for $100 cash each. After sale I said what's up with the price, he said we've had these here 2 years and your the first person to even ask about them, so we juct want to get rid of them. Went back to local tire store and had them installed the next day.
Well that does bring up a good question... does it affect the ABS to change to different size (height) tires on these cars? (since the fronts and rears aren't the same height)