PDA

View Full Version : A car trivia question:

BillyGman
07-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Can you name the extremely FAST car that the following clue refers to?.....(I think you middle aged and older people will be more likely to understand this clue)......

"The _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _- _ _ _ _ -lands, had seen some strange things, but the strangest thing yet, was a jet without wings.....
once as a jet, it played in the stars, but now on the ground, it's the KING of all cars....."

and now here's part of what was stated about the man who drove her......

".......a daring young man, played a dangerous game....."

and now for some more clarity for this clue.......

".......both man and machine, had given fare warn, they set a new record, on that warm August morn......WAAAHAHAAAAAA....... WAHAHA...WAHAHAAAA"

If nobody gets it, then I have a more obvious clue that I can give, but I won't add it to the above unless it's neccessary, because I don't want to make this too easy. Can you name the car? To some of you, it might already be too easy.:)

grampaws
07-11-2005, 11:46 AM
American Eagle f-104a ..without wings...:cool:

Tallboy
07-11-2005, 11:48 AM
I love the Beach Boys!:)

Bluerauder
07-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Can you name the extremely FAST car that the following clue refers to?.....(I think you middle aged and older people will be more likely to understand this clue)......
How about the "Spirit of America" driven by Craig Breedlove on the Bonneville Salt Flats back in the 1960's ??? :D

Do I get rep points?? :rofl:

grampaws
07-11-2005, 12:05 PM
The spirit of America and Craig Breedlove..

set a land speed record in august 1963...
but vehicle classification was at issue..:cool:

BillyGman
07-11-2005, 12:31 PM
How about the "Spirit of America" driven by Craig Breedlove on the Bonneville Salt Flats back in the 1960's ??? :D

Do I get rep points?? :rofl:Actually you are the winner!!!(sorry, no prize though, other than the satisfaction of knowing that you were the first one to come up with the exact answer:) ). "Spirit of America" was the name of the car......as ths song implied....."Half airplaine, half auto, it's fame it would fly.....the SPIRIT OF AMERICA...the name on the side..." what class it ran I have no idea. That detail would be over my head. after all, I was merely two years old when that event occured(thanks for the details that I didn't even know about "Grandpaws";) ).

As you guys already know, the blank parts of the song were: "The Bonneville saltlands, had seen some strange things, but the strangest thing yet, was a jet without wings...." ...I LUV that song. Real graceful poetry about an extreme type of event in car sports. You'll never hear that in today's music.:banana2:

BillyGman
07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
okay, since this trivia question was just as much about music as it was about a superfast car, here's another music/car question......

Can you name the two model cars that were being raced against one another in the song with the following lyrics???.......

"...decline'n numbers at an even rate, at the count of one we both accelerate....."

and later on the song states... "...he's off with ram induction, but it's understood, I gotta fuel injected engine sittin' under my hood...tach it up, tach it up, buddy gonna shut you down"

I know, these questions are just too easy for us middle aged, and older guys..... right? I bet that most of the under 30 crowd would've been very challenged though. Or perhaps they wouldn't even give a rip. So to make this focus a bit more on the cars in question, I'll ask you to also come up with the exact year(s) that those cars were offered. :banana2:

Bluerauder
07-11-2005, 01:23 PM
okay, since this trivia question was just as much about music as it was about a superfast car, here's another music/car question......

Can you name the two model cars that were being raced against one another in the song with the following lyrics???.......

"...decline'n numbers at an even rate, at the count of one we both accelerate....."

and later on the song states... "...he's off with ram induction, but it's understood, I gotta fuel injected engine sittin' under my hood...tach it up, tach it up, buddy gonna shut you down"

I know, these questions are just too easy for us middle aged, and older guys..... right? I bet that most of the under 30 crowd would've been very challenged though. Or perhaps they wouldn't even give a rip. So to make this focus a bit more on the cars in question, I'll ask you to also come up with the exact year(s) that those cars were offered. :banana2:
Another Beach Boys goody ... have the CD in the #2 slot in my changer.

"Two cool sharks sittin' side-by-side" ... OK gotta run out and listen to the song again .... :rofl:

A Fuel-Injected Stingray (Corvette) and a 413 cid Super Stock Dodge. :D Show me the Points???

VERN
07-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Super Stock Dodge and a Stingray?

Oops - a couple of minutes too late....

fastblackmerc
07-11-2005, 01:27 PM

Fuel injected Stingray and a 413 (early Hemi)...... "Shutdown" by the Beach Boys

gilby04
07-11-2005, 03:02 PM

I know, these questions are just too easy for us middle aged, and older guys..... right? I bet that most of the under 30 crowd would've been very challenged though. Or perhaps they wouldn't even give a rip. So to make this focus a bit more on the cars in question, I'll ask you to also come up with the exact year(s) that those cars were offered.

First year for the 413 Hemi was '61...I think.
Last year for the 413 Hemi was '63...for sure.
The 426 Hemi was introduced in '64.
Had one in a new '64 Plymouth Fury...fun memories.

Can't offer any input on the F/I Corvettes.

Bluerauder
07-11-2005, 03:37 PM
1962 Dodge Ramcharger/Polara 413 cid
1963 Corvette Stingray FI 327 cid

BillyGman
07-12-2005, 12:26 AM
You guys are pretty good at this stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in addition to the Dodge Polara that Bluerauder has refered to, Dodge also had a car called the "550" and one called the "880" (see pics below) which undoubtedly also were available with the 413 CID engines.

However, although the following doesn't have anything to do with the song lyrics, I think that the Dodge version of the 413 engine was only offered with one four barrel carburetor, and their 426 "Wedge" motor was their top dog being offered with the dual quad carbs pushing 425 HP (at the crank). There was a slightly more potent version of the 413 engine offered by Chrysler which had 30 more HP in their model "300" car than the Dodge 413 version did, since the Chrsler version was available with dual quad carbs, and produced 390 HP ( which was the reason it was called the "Firepower 390" engine) and 485 FT/LBS of torque (at the crank). That engine had a rather unique intake manifold that swept far to the left for one carb, and far to the right for the other (see pic below).

So amongst 413 engine equipped cars, the Chrysler "300" must have been the one to beat although it might not have looked as sporty as the Dodge "550" did. If you look at the thumbnail pic below of the Chrysler "300" car and remember the movie "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World", you'll recall that in that movie "Captain Cullpepper" played by Spencer Tracey drove a black 1964 Chrysler "300" for the Santa Rosita police department. So the PD's must have had the Chysler "300's" back then, and were undoubtedly equipped with the "Firepower 390" 413 CID engines since they were Chrysler's top dog (the 425 HP 426 "Wedge" engine only being offered by Dodge and Plymouth at the time). But I digress :D ....

The mechanical fuel injected Vette 327 engines where offered for two or three years, the last year being 1965, and produced 375 HP. I LUV hearing and sharing old muscle car trivia and engine specs.:banana2: And although I'm really not into car shows, one show I'd like to find some day is one that showcases 60's cop cars, because in the muscle car days, the cop cars were often the ones that were the some of the fastest cars from the factory. :)

Thanks for your replies guys. ;)

Mike Poore
07-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Fuel injected Stingray and a 413 (early Hemi)...... "Shutdown" by the Beach Boys
You sure 'bout that? I was thinking Jan & Dean. :D

rocknrod
07-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Probably not the correct lyrics but:
"Tack it up, tack it up, buddy gonna shut you down
It happened on the strip where the road is wide

Two cool shorts standing side-by-side (Ya)

My fuel-injected stingray and a 413

We're revin' up our engines and it sounds real mean

Tack it up, tack it up, buddy gonna shut you down

Declining numbers at an even rate

At the count of one we both accelerate

My Stingray is light, the slicks are starting to spin

But the 413's really diggin' in

Gotta be cool now, power shift here we go

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P style=
Super stock Dodge is winding out in low but

My fuel-injected Stingray's really starting to go

To get the traction I'm riding my clutch

My pressure plate's burnin' , that machines too much

<o:p></o:p>

Pedal's to the floor, here his dual quads ring

And now the 413's lead is starting to shrink

He got a cram induction, but it's understood

I got a fuel-injected engine sittin' under my hood

Shut it off, shut it off, buddy now I shut you down"

I LOVE that song !

2003 MIB
07-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Pedal's to the floor, hear his TWO quads DRINK

And now the 413's lead is starting to shrink

He got a RAM induction, but it's understood

I got a fuel-injected engine sittin' under my hood

Very, very close...:coolman:

fastblackmerc
07-12-2005, 08:20 AM
You sure 'bout that? I was thinking Jan & Dean. :D
Pretty sure..... Jan & Dean did collaborate on a lot of Beach Boys songs and vise versa..... sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.... Shutdown was on 2 Beach Boys albums, Shutdown vol. 1 & 2, vol. 1 contained Shutdown, vol. 2 contained Shutdown, Part II.

gpfarrell
07-12-2005, 09:50 AM
I think lots of those old songs had different variations depending on who was singing them that day...

Remember the Springstein song "Racing in the Street"?

Here's a lyric...

"I got a 69 Chevy with a 396, fuelie heads & a hurst on the floor.
She's waiting for me out in the parking lot of the 7-11 store."

Ever notice what's wrong with that?

Bluerauder
07-12-2005, 10:16 AM
I think lots of those old songs had different variations depending on who was singing them that day...

Remember the Springstein song "Racing in the Street"?

Here's a lyric...

"I got a 69 Chevy with a 396, fuelie heads & a hurst on the floor.
She's waiting for me out in the parking lot of the 7-11 store."

Ever notice what's wrong with that?
I suspect that it is because "fuelie heads" were for the small block Chevys and not the 396. :D

Either that or 7-11 wasn't invented until 1970 !!! :rofl:

BillyGman
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Bluerauder]I suspect that it is because "fuelie heads" were for the small block Chevys and not the 396. :D

[QUOTE] Yes, right you are. There wasn't any 396 "fulie" heads since big block Chevy's never came with fuel injection. Only the small block Vettes did. I never was a Springstein fan, but regardless of that, I can't get into a car song (if that's what you want to call that one) that doesn't even have the simple specs right. :rolleyes: I mean it's one thing if you happen to be talking cars with somebody, and you make a mistake, and get some facts wrong, and your fellow enthusiasts have to correct you, but if you're going to write a book or even a song about muscle cars, or how people drive them, then you should atleast make sure you get the facts straight if you expect to reach your target audience. (okay, RANT off).......

gpfarrell
07-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Kudos to both of you... I guess that was never a real popular song so the error appears to have gone unnoticed... but it sure does ruin the tune.

Wanna switch gears to movies?

What kind of car was totaled at the end of Vanishing Point?

Bluerauder
07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
What kind of car was totaled at the end of Vanishing Point?
Dodge Challenger. A 1970 or 71, I think.

Saw (parts of) that movie at the drive-in in the back seat of a Dodge Charger. :rofl:

gpfarrell
07-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Dodge Challenger. A 1970 or 71, I think.

"Possibly supercharged" as they said in the movie?

No, its a bit harder than that.

The question wasn't "What kind of car did they use in 99.9% of the movie?"...

I want to know what was crashed in the end... If you don't know, you'll need slow-motion on your VCR to figure it out.

Bluerauder
07-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I want to know what was crashed in the end... If you don't know, you'll need slow-motion on your VCR to figure it out.
OK then GP, I'll take U.S. History for $200.00 !!! :rofl:

gpfarrell
07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
OK then GP, I'll take U.S. History for $200.00 !!! :rofl:

Can I fax you the $200? I've only got car trivia!

Bluerauder
07-12-2005, 11:59 AM
More Vanishing Point trivia ....

Trivia: A deal was struck between 20th Century Fox and the Chrysler Corporation for the loan of several brand-new 1970 Dodge Challengers for a film (the first year for the Dodge Challenger). Director Richard C. Sarafian was approached with the question, "Can you do a movie with these cars?" which he said he could. A script was commissioned, and the result was this movie. Five cars were loaned, four were damaged beyond repair, and the fifth was stolen by a prostitute, but recovered by state police a short time later.

Goofs: Audio/visual unsynchronized: The sounds of the 1970 Dodge Challenger in certain scenes are actually from the 1968 Mustang in Bullitt (1968).

gpfarrell
07-12-2005, 12:09 PM
More Vanishing Point trivia ....

Keep looking... you might be getting warmer....

Mike Poore
07-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Pretty sure..... Jan & Dean did collaborate on a lot of Beach Boys songs and vise versa..... sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.... Shutdown was on 2 Beach Boys albums, Shutdown vol. 1 & 2, vol. 1 contained Shutdown, vol. 2 contained Shutdown, Part II.
Yep, you guys ar right. I went back and looked up Jan & Dean discography, which is what I should have done, in the first place.
color me :bricks:

Bluerauder
07-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Keep looking... you might be getting warmer....
OK, I found it .... :whew:

A derelict 1967 Camaro was purchased and stripped of engine and transmission. A tow-rig setup that Loftin had used successfully in the past was employed.

"With the motor and transmission out, we were prepared for the car to go end over end, but it stuck into the bulldozers, which was a better effect.

"We towed the Camaro with the fifth car, the 383 automatic. I used that one because if you miss a gear and your line goes slack you lose the car. I'd rather use an automatic than risk a chance of losing the car. That 383 was a good running car. In fact, it would probably run just as fast as that 440."

BillyGman
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
I like movie car trivia also. Although I'm usually a bit more into engine specs. But although I've seen most of Vanishing point, I couldn't stay with it. That, and "Gone in 60 seconds" just didn't do anything for me. I've heard everybody rave about those two movies, but I was kinda bored with both of them. I thought that "Bullitt" was much better. In fact, I think that even the car chase scenes in the comedy movies "Freebie & the Bean", and "Smokey & the Bandit" were more entertaining than "Vanishing Point" and "Gone in 60 Seconds" were, although the cars in them weren't anything special. But it was the chase scene action that I thought was better. I also thought that even the chase scene action in the first "Terminator" movie was better than in "Gone in 60 Seconds" was even though the cars used on "T-1" were also nothing special.:burnout:

rocknrod
07-12-2005, 01:47 PM
.... But although I've seen most of Vanishing point, I couldn't stay with it. That, and "Gone in 60 seconds" just didn't do anything for me. ....:burnout:What he said, yep.

fastblackmerc
07-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Yep, you guys ar right. I went back and looked up Jan & Dean discography, which is what I should have done, in the first place.
color me :bricks:
No problem.... not like it's important or anything!!!

cyclone03
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Sorry guys gota brag...

My dad is good freinds with Craig and helped him build Sprit 1 or SS1,the 3 wheeled car,before the verticle fin was added.
My dad even helped Craig cut the hole in the back of his parents garage so the car could fit during construction.

My Mom still claims after all these years that Craig still owes her for about 100lbs of fried chicken because thats all they seemed to eat while working on that thing.

After the first trip to the salt and my parents married dad had to get a real job so he wasn't involved,or present when the "6 Mile skid marks" were laid down.

Mike Poore
07-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Sorry guys gota brag...

My dad is good freinds with Craig and helped him build Sprit 1 or SS1,the 3 wheeled car,before the verticle fin was added.
My dad even helped Craig cut the hole in the back of his parents garage so the car could fit during construction.

My Mom still claims after all these years that Craig still owes her for about 100lbs of fried chicken because thats all they seemed to eat while working on that thing.

After the first trip to the salt and my parents married dad had to get a real job so he wasn't involved,or present when the "6 Mile skid marks" were laid down.

THAT'S way cool! :)

BillyGman
07-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry guys gota brag...

After the first trip to the salt and my parents married dad had to get a real job so he wasn't involved,or present when the "6 Mile skid marks" were laid down.I lost you when you said that your dad couldn't be present during Mr. Breedlove's run. What exactly did you mean by that? And BTW, do you know the exact speed that he hit back then to break the record, and if his record has been broken since? I don't know a lot of the details. I thought that his record was a hair over 600 MPH, but someone I work with was telling me that he saw a TV program about it that stated that he broke the sound barrier, and that's in the upper 600's or 700's depending uipon altitude or elevation above sea level.

Bluerauder
07-12-2005, 04:58 PM
And BTW, do you know the exact speed that he hit back then to break the record, and if his record has been broken since?
Here's the specs on Land Speed Records. Breedlove's best run was 600.601 mph on 15 November 1965. It has been topped 3 times since then. Current record is 766.609 on 15 October 1997.

The chart here >>>> Land Speed Record Chart (http://phyvax.ir.miami.edu:8001/curtright/lsr_history.html) shows Breedlove's runs in Gray. The chart shows the succesion of speed since the 1800's.

BTW, I saw the "Blue Flame" in a car museum near Hockenheim, Germany in 1987.

BillyGman
07-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Okay, I just did a search and found out. here's a quote from a website i found about Mr. Breedlove.....

It's not a new project for Breedlove. He set his last speed record of 600.6 mph at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, 34 years ago. Now, at age 62 and with a newly modified and rebuilt Spirit of America, he's fixing to head out to Black Rock and claim the title once again. The number to beat: 771 miles per hour.

Here's the link to that site....

http://www.bluebird-electric.net/spirit_of_america.htm

BillyGman
07-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Here's the specs on Land Speed Records. Breedlove's best run was 600.601 mph on 15 November 1965. It has been topped 3 times since then. Current record is 766.609 on 15 October 1997.

The chart here >>>> Land Sped Record Chart (http://phyvax.ir.miami.edu:8001/curtright/lsr_history.html) shows Breedlove's runs in Gray. The chart shows the succesion of speed since the 1800's.

BTW, I saw the "Blue Flame" in a car museum near Hockenheim, Germany in 1987.Thanks for the link to that chart. I went to the bottom of it and laughed.....

December 18,1898 in France the landspeed record was set at 39.245 MPH!! LOL!!:banana2: You can go faster than that on a horse!!! :baaa: ...well, i guess thay had to start somewhere.

gpfarrell
07-12-2005, 07:47 PM
OK, I found it .... :whew:

A derelict 1967 Camaro

Bull's eye! Did you get anything done at work today?

gpfarrell
07-12-2005, 07:52 PM
I like movie car trivia also. Although I'm usually a bit more into engine specs. But although I've seen most of Vanishing point, I couldn't stay with it. That, and "Gone in 60 seconds" just didn't do anything for me. I've heard everybody rave about those two movies, but I was kinda bored with both of them. I thought that "Bullitt" was much better. In fact, I think that even the car chase scenes in the comedy movies "Freebie & the Bean", and "Smokey & the Bandit" were more entertaining than "Vanishing Point" and "Gone in 60 Seconds" were, although the cars in them weren't anything special. But it was the chase scene action that I thought was better. I also thought that even the chase scene action in the first "Terminator" movie was better than in "Gone in 60 Seconds" was even though the cars used on "T-1" were also nothing special.:burnout:

Vanishing point didn't make much sense... lots of so-so symbolism with key points edited out... but the car was cool, and I liked watching all the late 60's police cars too.

Are you referring to the Nicholas Cage "Gone in 60 Seconds" or the original one? I think the original one might be one of the best of all times... the new one ain't much more interesting than a new T-bird.

I haven't seen Freebie so I'll have to check it out... thanks!

texascorvette
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
the 413 was actually around for a couple more years. the 426 had too much power to weight ratio, so the NASCAR guys had to run the 413. that's back in the days when mopar was kicking everyone's tush.
First year for the 413 Hemi was '61...I think.
Last year for the 413 Hemi was '63...for sure.
The 426 Hemi was introduced in '64.
Had one in a new '64 Plymouth Fury...fun memories.

Can't offer any input on the F/I Corvettes.

BillyGman
07-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Are you referring to the Nicholas Cage "Gone in 60 Seconds" or the original one? I think the original one might be one of the best of all times... the new one ain't much more interesting than a new T-bird.

I haven't seen Freebie so I'll have to check it out... thanks! I was refering to the original "Gone in 60 seconds" because I never saw the remake. I just didn't see anything great about it. Different tastes I guess. "The Seven-ups" had one decent car chase scene too, but I wouldn't say it was one of the greatest. Worth watching though IMO.

cyclone03
07-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I lost you when you said that your dad couldn't be present during Mr. Breedlove's run. What exactly did you mean by that? And BTW, do you know the exact speed that he hit back then to break the record, and if his record has been broken since? I don't know a lot of the details. I thought that his record was a hair over 600 MPH, but someone I work with was telling me that he saw a TV program about it that stated that he broke the sound barrier, and that's in the upper 600's or 700's depending uipon altitude or elevation above sea level.

My dad made the first trip to the salt with Graig in 1962 working on the car before the verticle fin was added to aid stability.No record was set that year.

My dad learned he was to become a father that year (me) and married my mom and got a "real" job.
My mother went to high school with Craigs first wife Lee. Dad knew Craig because they were So.Cal hotrodders and friends in school.

From 1962-1967/68 the land speed record changed from about 390something to 600+ MPH.The record was set and lost about 7 or 8 times.

From time to time Mom tells me,guess who I talked to.... thye talk about once a year or so.

BillyGman
07-13-2005, 10:27 AM
My dad made the first trip to the salt with Graig in 1962 working on the car before the verticle fin was added to aid stability.No record was set that year.

My dad learned he was to become a father that year (me) and married my mom and got a "real" job.
My mother went to high school with Craigs first wife Lee. Dad knew Craig because they were So.Cal hotrodders and friends in school.

From 1962-1967/68 the land speed record changed from about 390something to 600+ MPH.The record was set and lost about 7 or 8 times.

From time to time Mom tells me,guess who I talked to.... thye talk about once a year or so.Hmmmm, that's something........... small world.

2003 MIB
07-13-2005, 11:26 AM
I was refering to the original "Gone in 60 seconds" because I never saw the remake. I just didn't see anything great about it. Different tastes I guess. "The Seven-ups" had one decent car chase scene too, but I wouldn't say it was one of the greatest. Worth watching though IMO.
"Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" is my favorite car chase movie- hands down. No DVD yet. :mad: :mad:

I liked the first "GI60S" because of the low budget independant nature of the film- it's the "Billy Jack" of car movies.

STLThunder
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
My vote for best car chase..........."Bullitt" of course.