PDA

View Full Version : Funny, does anyone elses MM do this?

cbala
07-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Was sitting in traffic this AM, and was messing with the speed control buttons and the horn beeped.

Turns out when I press the the off/on button top/center on the dividing line the horn goes off..., anyone elses do this?

Scared the crap outta me the 1st time.

Bluerauder
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Turns out when I press the the off/on button top/center on the dividing line the horn goes off..., anyone elses do this?
Now why would anyone touch that particular spot ... except by accident once every 50,000 miles?? :rolleyes:

But it does it on mine, too !!! :D

Rider90
07-15-2005, 11:59 AM
I've never touched my car there before :eek:

STLR FN
07-15-2005, 12:02 PM
That's because our cars are like women: It takes awhile to find the exact G-spot and you my friend have found the cars G-spot.
I've never touched my car there before :eek:

Rider90
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
That's because our cars are like women: It takes awhile to find the exact G-spot and you my friend have found the cars G-spot.

This is true. You touched the right hidden spot, and she honked for you. :shake:

Fourth Horseman
07-15-2005, 12:14 PM
This thread is making me feel all funny.
:lol:

ridinclean
07-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Just tried it and yes that is the g-spot

Petrograde
07-15-2005, 02:40 PM
how weird,... mine did it too.

NAVCHAP
07-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Sure enough, just like in the old days, if you hit that lower left hand side of the wheel, you can sound the horn. Wouldn't have believed if I hadn't tried it. Maybe there's something in the minutiae of the owners manual about it, like the speed volume setting. -kjs-

Fourth Horseman
07-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I can hardly wait till 5:00 so I can go out to the parking garage and try to tickle my Marauder's sensitive spots!

jdando
07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
After reading this thread I had to try it on the drive home. She honked :D

jeremy (had to take a nap after the drive home)

teamrope
07-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow! an undocumented easter egg! Mine does it too. :)

CaptRoadking
07-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Wow! an undocumented easter egg! Mine does it too. :)
WOW! You guys have way too much free time, and that's a good thing! My 03 MM does the same thing and my wife's 00 Continental also does the same thing...Good work in the detective department.

wm1964
07-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Mine does the same thing!! Now lets find the extra 100 HP button!!! :D :D

Mike Poore
07-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Sure enough, just like in the old days, if you hit that lower left hand side of the wheel, you can sound the horn. Wouldn't have believed if I hadn't tried it. Maybe there's something in the minutiae of the owners manual about it, like the speed volume setting. -kjs-

But ....But....Keith...what about your vows? :eek:

I mean, is it all right for you to be doing that? ;)

Fourth Horseman
07-15-2005, 10:37 PM
I can hardly wait till 5:00 so I can go out to the parking garage and try to tickle my Marauder's sensitive spots!

Well I'll be a son of a gun. It works! Nice find, cbala. I don't get it, but nice find all the same.

ctrcbob
07-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Finally remembered to try it today. It works! Strange that it only works when you push the upper part of the pair of buttons, and not the center or bottom part.

Next time out with our Continental, (exact same Steering Wheel) I'm going to try it there also (if I remember).

This is like the thread about the AVC on our radios. Although our Continental has a different radio, the AVC works exactly like the MM.

Great things learned on this site. :beer:

MERCMAN
07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Tried it on my MM, yup, then tried it on '02 blackwood,, YUP!! Bizarre!!

423REED
07-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Was sitting in traffic this AM, and was messing with the speed control buttons and the horn beeped.

Scared the crap outta me the 1st time.cbala,
I read your post. I thought what tha... But when I tried it the other night, guess what? Mine did the very same thing. Do you think that it could have been designed to do that, or is it an engineering or manufacturing glitch? I've never had a car that did this before. But, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, really. I've noticed that with a Marauder, you find out something new about the car all the time!
Jim
______________________________ _
2004 MARAUDER 300A - DTR
----- BORN 04/19/05
----- REAR SPOILER ADDED
1994 TAURUS SHO - DK GREEN

Svashtar
07-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Well I'll be a son of a gun. It works! Nice find, cbala. I don't get it, but nice find all the same.
What he said! :beer:

Now, is it a bug or a feature? Guess it doesn't matter.

Wonder what other unknown goodies there are?

Thanks,

Norm

MarauderMarc
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
This thread is making me feel all funny.
:lol:......................... ....like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.........

ADE 1000
07-22-2005, 01:47 PM
I discovered mine did that about a month ago.

Very odd......

Kelsey
07-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but it does this because there is only 1 wire that goes to the steering wheel, and all your functions travel through each of its resistors into that 1 wire at different levels of electrical currents. Each button on your steering wheel sends a different amount of current. I'm guessing what happened is that combination of current you sent was the same as the one sent from the horn? Why it had to be lower center and not upper center is beyond me.

RoyLPita
07-22-2005, 04:07 PM
I recalled having to replace that part on a CV because the horn would not turn off. Go figure.

Dark_Knight7096
07-22-2005, 04:14 PM
I know it's kinda late to post this now, but yea i went outside and tried it and mine does it too.

RoyLPita
07-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I guess I'll have to buy a MM to find this out.

MENINBLK
07-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Mine does it too.

It could be documented in the Electrical Service Manual as a test point for Voltage.

The Turn Signal Return ring, also known as the Horn ring,
is usually a round plastic piece with several rings of brass that have carbon
brushes that contact them.
This allows the harness to travel up the steering column and remain fixed,
while the harnesses inside the steering wheel and horn pad can also remain fixed.
There are no wires in the area of the steering wheel that flex when the wheel is turned.

If you've ever noticed that when you put on the turn signal, and make a fairly sharp turn
in the same direction, the wheels will make a CLICKING sound as its being turned.
But when the wheel returns to the straight ahead position it knocks off the turn signal.

The parts that makes that work also carry the same brass rings
that the carbon brushes travel along as you turn the wheel back and forth.
This makes all the connections between the Wheel and the Column.

If the power ring were to break, the steering wheel would lose all functionality.
It may also not even light up, or the horn would not operate.
In this case, the technician may be intructed to press on this spot to verify
if voltage is present inside the steering wheel prior to disassembly.
This cold also indicate that there is no voltage present to fire the steering wheel mounted airbag as well.

But what do I know... I'm just guessing... :dunno:

ik04
08-13-2005, 08:37 PM
:confused: Weird... Mine does it and everones else's too.. :confused:

There is probably a secret window button/ignition key/dome light combination that will engage the ludicrous speed drive!

...Cool

Kevin

wchain
08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Just tried mine!
Works like a charm! :lol:

RCSignals
08-14-2005, 10:46 PM
I discovered mine did that about a month ago.

Very odd......

.............and you didn't say anything? :eek:

We know how cbala discovered it, how did you find it?