PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Parking

ctrcbob
07-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Why do so many drivers have trouble parallel parking? Living in a small tourist town, I often go downtown to the tourist district, talk with friends, drink coffee and watch the tourists try to parallel park. Four out of five can't do it in the first or the second try. Today I watched a lady back up over the curb. She pulled out and tried it a second (and a third and fourth) time. Always up over the curb. It took her five tries to get it right. :help:

One more thing. One thing that always gets me, is how people turn their steering wheel (and tires) while the car is standing still. :( This is the fast way to wear out outer tie rod ends. My wife used to do this, and since I told her to make sure the car the car is rolling if only slightly, she does what I told her.

Most drivers just don't understand that it is very hard on outer tie rod ends and also on front tires.

Bluerauder
07-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Why do so many drivers have trouble parallel parking?
Parallel parking is a lost art !! In fact, out in suburbia there are very few opportunities to even attempt it. Even the little town of Occoquan here recently converted all of their curb spaces to "head-in" parking and claimed that it increased the number of available spaces by about 15%. :rolleyes:

I learned how to parallel park on a 1962 Chevy Bel Air station wagon w/o power steering. Parallel parking was a mandatory part of the DMV driver's test at that time. Since I lived in the city back then, the skill came in very handy. :D

While my youngest son was growing up, he considered my ability to maneuver an E150 Conversion van around in those tight, quaint towns and park it at the curb as a major accomplishment worthy of recognition. So if you can't parallel park ... learn ... your kids will admire you for it !!! ;) Now he can do it, because he paid attention !!!

Joe Walsh
07-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Why do so many drivers have trouble parallel parking? Living in a small tourist town, I often go downtown to the tourist district, talk with friends, drink coffee and watch the tourists try to parallel park. Four out of five can't do it in the first or the second try. Today I watched a lady back up over the curb. She pulled out and tried it a second (and a third and fourth) time. Always up over the curb. It took her five tries to get it right. :help:

Reminds me of that old joke about why woman can't parallel park.... ;)