PDA

View Full Version : Most Stolen List: 2004 MM is #8

rayjay
07-19-2005, 03:16 AM
04 MM is #8 on the most often stolen list put out this morning. Limited production run was sighted as the reason. :(

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8620904/

modular46
07-19-2005, 03:58 AM
04 MM is #8 on the most often stolen list put out this morning. Limited production run was sighted as the reason. :(

You beat me to it. At that rate they'll all be stolen. Maybe it's only the green ones. :D

RoyLPita
07-19-2005, 04:59 AM
I've seen about 3 others that are stripped for sale.

SouLRioT
07-19-2005, 05:02 AM
good thing I have an '03......... :rolleyes:

Breadfan
07-19-2005, 05:11 AM
Reminds me, when my uncle found out about my MM he told me his neighbor has one (wonder if he's on the boards, Bethesda, MD???) and had the rims stolen off it one night. Came out in the morning to find the car on cinder blocks. :(

Shaft333
07-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Good thing I traded my Integra in for the Marauder... I'm at least one level safer. :D

ncmm
07-19-2005, 05:34 AM
I wonder if our insurance rates will rise now?????? :confused:

mcb26
07-19-2005, 06:41 AM
From an article on speedtv.com
(As for thieves' “need for speed”, Comstock said "There is a growing interest in street car racing and participants seem to gravitate toward the Acura Integra as their vehicle of choice. Other vehicles, including the Mercury Marauder and BMW M Roadster, while not as likely to be used in street car racing, have been manufactured with speed in mind." )
At least we were mentioned. :)
Complete article at
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/automotiveconsumer/automotive/18283/

MM03MOK
07-19-2005, 06:48 AM
:bunny: merged the two threads. Carry on!

jd319
07-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Reminds me, when my uncle found out about my MM he told me his neighbor has one (wonder if he's on the boards, Bethesda, MD???) and had the rims stolen off it one night. Came out in the morning to find the car on cinder blocks. :(

My wheels were stolen too a while back. I had my MM only about 7 months. Came home from work one night, there was my MM in the train station parking lot, sitting on :censor: cinder blocks. :mad:

ckadiddle
07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
)(&^&^^%^%*^&)(&*&*_&**&^%&^%^ I was hoping the punks would ignore Marauders.

mcb26
07-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Satrted into a restraunt the other night. Forgot my cigerrets, some guy was squated down next to the rear tire. Just as he touched the rim the patented Marauder ping hit. :eek: Scared the heck out of him. He fell over backwards,hit his head on the pavement. I gave him a little time to recover. When he looked back at it I set off the panic alarm. He took off running across the parking lot.
Don't think he'll bother anymore MM's :D

bigslim
07-19-2005, 08:08 AM
The list of 25:

1. 1999 Acura Integra
2. 2002 BMW M Roadster
3. 1998 Acura Integra
4. 1991 GMC V2500
5. 2002 Audi S4
6. 1996 Acura Integra
7. 1995 Acura Integra
8. 2004 Mercury Marauder
9. 1997 Acura Integra
10. 1992 Mercedes-Benz 600
11. 2001 Acura Integra
12. 1989 Chevrolet R25
13. 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood
14. 1994 Acura Integra
15. 1996 Lexus GS
16. 2000 Acura Integra
17. 1999 Mercedes-Benz CL
18. 1996 Lexus SC
19. 2004 Cadillac Escalade
20. 1996 BMW 750
21. 1998 Land Rover Range Rover
22. 1994 Audi Cabriolet
23. 2001 BMW M Roadster
24. 2003 Cadillac Escalade
25. 2000 Honda Civic

Fourth Horseman
07-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Judging by the number of people I see looking down at my wheels when I pull up to a stop light, I'd say that the thieves are noticing our wheels, too, sadly.

O's Fan Rich
07-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Judging by the number of people I see looking down at my wheels when I pull up to a stop light, I'd say that the thieves are noticing our wheels, too, sadly.

Yeah, it's amazing how they can stare at your rims and immediatley calculate how they'll fit on a 88 Honda accord.
Must be a gift........

MarauderMark
07-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Time for all us marauderers to carry a gun :shot: shoot first then answer questions later..:up:

pantheroc
07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
How many Marauders were stolen without an ignition key in the thief's hand? Anyone know?

Stock03
07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Are people defeating the PATS? Or just hooking up to a tow truck and heading down the road? Kinda hard to defend against that. My wife's Taurus has PATS and an alarm and hers got towed for a parking violation. No sweat as far as the tow truck guys are concerned.

Shaft333
07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
I wonder if they are only counting stolen vehicles or vehicles that had parts taken off from it... such as rims.

Anyone know?

Kelsey
07-19-2005, 10:37 AM
I think stealing rims off a car would be considered vandalizing - not stealing - an automobile.

SouLRioT
07-19-2005, 10:48 AM
For the department I work for, there is a separate signal for theft of auto parts. But I do agree that it would not/should not be listed with the stolen car report. I tried serching the AP site to see how they got their numbers for the report but was unable to find it. There is two ways they can come to this number, one is the total raw number of cars stolen, or the second beeing percentage of cars on the road to cars stolen. For many years the Honda Accord was the number 1 car stolen, but its also one of the top cars sold. While last year there was a reprot that the Saturn SL1 was the most stolen because of its percentage. Its all the way you look at the data.

2003 MIB
07-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I thought that too!!!:lol: :lol:

I'm no Matlock but I'd guess it's because the 03 cars weren't seperate models. In the sea of GMs, a Marauder theft wouldn't be statistically significant. That doesn't mean 03s aren't just as likely to be stolen- it simply means the data may not capture the complete picture.

HwyCruiser
07-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Now about pitching in to hire an armed parking lot guard at the Hampton Inn in Detroit...

RoyLPita
07-19-2005, 11:39 AM
At this rate, I'll be driving my MM "with the Club on"!!!!

(Quoted area of phrase stated by comedian Richard Jeni.)

ckadiddle
07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Undoubtedly they are stealing Marauders solely to get the wheels to put on those Acura Integras.
:lol:

GreekGod
07-19-2005, 02:42 PM
:nono: That's not right! :down: A gun should be a last resort. :shake: Choking with bare hands would be much more satisfying and less messy. :D Or maybe hang them by their ankles from the nearest lightpole. :party:
Time for all us marauderers to carry a gun :shot: shoot first then answer questions later..:up:

Joe Walsh
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm confused.....The article says that Integras are stolen by street racers because of "their powerful engines"..... :shake: :shake: :dunno: :dunno: :confused: :confused:

As compared to what???.....a lawnmower?

Hack Goby
07-19-2005, 02:58 PM
:D
Now about pitching in to hire an armed parking lot guard at the Hampton Inn in Detroit...
For one the Hampton Inn is NOT in Detroit.Its out in the burbs.But if your worryed than you can watch all of our cars while the rest have a good time. :D

Bluerauder
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm no Matlock but I'd guess it's because the 03 cars weren't seperate models. In the sea of GMs, a Marauder theft wouldn't be statistically significant. That doesn't mean 03s aren't just as likely to be stolen- it simply means the data may not capture the complete picture.
Now I feel alottttt better, Matlock. :rolleyes: So, I wonder how many of those cool 2003 Super Stock Special Edition GMs are on the list?? ;)

Cobra25
07-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Just wonderful, something else to worry about. Maybe they will notice mine is a 03 and leave it alone. Well it's about time to leave the Marauder in the garage and buy a 3rd car. In the begining no one wanted them , now we are # 8.

Blackened300a
07-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Satrted into a restraunt the other night. Forgot my cigerrets, some guy was squated down next to the rear tire. Just as he touched the rim the patented Marauder ping hit. :eek: Scared the heck out of him. He fell over backwards,hit his head on the pavement. I gave him a little time to recover. When he looked back at it I set off the panic alarm. He took off running across the parking lot.
Don't think he'll bother anymore MM's :D
Let me get this straight. You seen the guy next to your car trying to take a rim off of it. He got startled and fell back, hit his head, you then set off the panic and this guy takes off across the parking lot? OK, Same scene except its my MM, I come out and see some guy squatted next to my rear rim, just as he touched the rim, The Patented Marauder Ping Hit, Scared the :censor: out of him, he falls back and hits his head on the pavement. As hes laying there in a daze, I walk over and proceed to stomp his head into the pavement, then I press the trunk button on my key FOB and pull a hammer out of my toolbox, I then step on his wrist and proceed to smash his fingers to be sure he wont attempt to steal another item ever again! Im the most mellow easy going guy out there. However, I have serious rage towards thieves. I have had stuff stolen from me and I fear what I would do If I caught someone robbing me. I have only managed to catch one guy in the act of stealing my stereo out of my Sonoma almost 8yrs ago, I yelled out and ran downstairs, He took off running, I then got behind the wheel and tried to find this guy with the intention of running his ass over, He must have known this cause he stabbed my tire before he took off and before I could grab him. Now not only do I have my radio damaged and the dashboard broke with the screwdriver he tried to pry the radio out of the dashboard with, but I had to get a new tire. I know its not the right thing to do but neither is stealing. the Iraq rule of cutting off your hands if you are caught stealing isnt such a bad idea IMO

jgc61sr2002
07-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Was thinking the same. :D Ya right . They know the difference?

Blackened300a
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Was thinking the same. :D Ya right . They know the difference?
They know it has better paint and of course less miles!

Joe Walsh
07-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Let me get this straight. You seen the guy next to your car trying to take a rim off of it. He got startled and fell back, hit his head, you then set off the panic and this guy takes off across the parking lot? OK, Same scene except its my MM, I come out and see some guy squatted next to my rear rim, just as he touched the rim, The Patented Marauder Ping Hit, Scared the :censor: out of him, he falls back and hits his head on the pavement. As hes laying there in a daze, I walk over and proceed to stomp his head into the pavement, then I press the trunk button on my key FOB and pull a hammer out of my toolbox, I then step on his wrist and proceed to smash his fingers to be sure he wont attempt to steal another item ever again! Im the most mellow easy going guy out there. However, I have serious rage towards thieves. I have had stuff stolen from me and I fear what I would do If I caught someone robbing me. I have only managed to catch one guy in the act of stealing my stereo out of my Sonoma almost 8yrs ago, I yelled out and ran downstairs, He took off running, I then got behind the wheel and tried to find this guy with the intention of running his ass over, He must have known this cause he stabbed my tire before he took off and before I could grab him. Now not only do I have my radio damaged and the dashboard broke with the screwdriver he tried to pry the radio out of the dashboard with, but I had to get a new tire. I know its not the right thing to do but neither is stealing. the Iraq rule of cutting off your hands if you are caught stealing isnt such a bad idea IMO

I would have stood over him and asked if a tire iron would help..... :D ;)

teamrope
07-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I would have stood over him and asked if a tire iron would help..... :D ;)

Then WHACK him with it as soon as he said yes. :D

2003DOHC
07-19-2005, 05:14 PM
What I would like to know is how many Marauders were stolen to make #8 on the list? There were less than 4k produced!

MERCDADDY
07-19-2005, 05:14 PM
For one the Hampton Inn is NOT in Detroit.Its out in the burbs.But if your worryed than you can watch all of our cars while the rest have a good time. :D

I lived in the burbs, didn't stop the vandalism or the theft, so he's well within reason to be a little worried. Think the thives and vandals don't know the Woodward Cruise isn't the largest gathering of valuable cars ripe for the taking?

I'll save my unwelcome opinions (based on empirical and living experience) about the Detroit Metro for a more liberally moderated board (thanks for the advice Logan), but telling anyone they have nothing to worry about is a little misleading too.

Just be honest, an event like Woodward Weekend is a target rich environment for thieves and vandals regardless of where it would be held, and being in the Detroit Metro ups the ante a little. Just be careful and take care of each other, I do hope all of you have a great time. Woodward really is the greatest rolling car show on earth.

07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
What I would like to know is how many Marauders were stolen to make #8 on the list? There were less than 4k produced!

This most be the number stolen per thousand made. No way there has been that many, of the roughly 10,000 MM's made, stolen to make it on this list if the list was based on the total stolen.

Hack Goby
07-19-2005, 05:41 PM
I lived in the burbs, didn't stop the vandalism or the theft, so he's well within reason to be a little worried. Think the thives and vandals don't know the Woodward Cruise isn't the largest gathering of valuable cars ripe for the taking?

I'll save my unwelcome opinions (based on empirical and living experience) about the Detroit Metro for a more liberally moderated board (thanks for the advice Logan), but telling anyone they have nothing to worry about is a little misleading too.

Just be honest, an event like Woodward Weekend is a target rich environment for thieves and vandals regardless of where it would be held, and being in the Detroit Metro ups the ante a little. Just be careful and take care of each other, I do hope all of you have a great time. Woodward really is the greatest rolling car show on earth.
Ah Casey,Always sturring the pot only a little nicer this time.But your sig says what you really think of the Motor City.Being No.8 on the most stolen list says that anywhere you are and not just Detroit that our cars are at a high risk for thieft.Plus where does my post say that Im telling everyone not to worry.That was just aimed at HWYCriuser.Have a nice day. :D

Big House
07-19-2005, 05:45 PM
OH HELL YEAH...THAT is the only was to go.:banana2:

:nono: That's not right! :down: A gun should be a last resort. :shake: Choking with bare hands would be much more satisfying and less messy. :D Or maybe hang them by their ankles from the nearest lightpole. :party:

MarauderMark
07-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Ah Casey,Always sturring the pot only a little nicer this time.But your sig says what you really think of the Motor City.Being No.8 on the most stolen list says that anywhere you are and not just Detroit that our cars are at a high risk for thieft.Plus where does my post say that Im telling everyone not to worry.That was just aimed at HWYCriuser.Have a nice day. :D

Hack you startin trouble again??:rofl: :D

merc
07-19-2005, 06:01 PM
I wonder how many Marauders are stolen in the car theft capital of Maryland.

http://www.auto-theft.info/Menes_bill.htm

The number of vehicles stolen in Prince George's has more than doubled since 1999, a period when vehicle theft declined or leveled off in every other major Maryland jurisdiction.

Fifty cars are stolen every day in the county, and with nearly 18,000 car thefts reported in 2003 -- the most recent year for which figures are available -- each household in the county stands a one in 17 chance of being a victim. :eek:

Cobra25
07-19-2005, 06:13 PM
What I would like to know is how many Marauders were stolen to make #8 on the list? There were less than 4k produced!Their was a post here some where that stated the Lincoln Mercury Produced a total of 11,054 Mercury Marauder's. 2 were Concept's from what I read so 11,052 were street drivable. The last one to roll off the line was a Silver one in June of 2004.

MI2QWK4U
07-19-2005, 06:16 PM

Some of us already do...I love that map pocket in the front of my seat below my knees! Just act like you wont give the jacker any trouble, offer him more money in your wallet, he will drop his guard, and bang...problem solved.

MI2QWK4U
07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
I think stealing rims off a car would be considered vandalizing - not stealing - an automobile.

Its a different type of classification for the crime...stolen rims are considered Larceny From Auto, LFA. Which is different from Unlawful Driving Away an Automobile, or UDAA.

Hack Goby
07-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Hack you startin trouble again??:rofl: :D
Nope, The Chicago-Detroit rumble over whos car guy is better got way out of control and I told myself not to get into such things agian.So I will TRY not to get another war going.The people comming to MVIII are in for a great time no matter what anyone posts or thinks.(Its usely by someone whos not comming)

MI2QWK4U
07-19-2005, 06:25 PM

No need for that, First of all...it isnt detroit! Its a good area and I will be calling Madison Heights PD and asking for a professional courtesy and get some additional passes for special attention to our cars at night.

Petrograde
07-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Time for all us marauderers to carry a gun shoot first then answer questions later..

Some of us already do...I love that map pocket in the front of my seat below my knees! Just act like you wont give the jacker any trouble, offer him more money in your wallet, he will drop his guard, and bang...problem solved.

GOD BLESS AMERICA! :flag:

MI2QWK4U
07-19-2005, 06:28 PM

I have a shotgun rack mounted in my Marauder Paul, I will give him my keys to stand watch!

Joe Walsh
07-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Its a different type of classification for the crime...stolen rims are considered Larceny From Auto, LFA. Which is different from Unlawful Driving Away an Automobile, or UDAA.

So you prefer the 'STPSCD' theft deterent method?...

'Shooting The Perp Stone Cold Dead' :gunfire:

MI2QWK4U
07-19-2005, 06:42 PM

More words of wisdom from an out of stater...I live here, and work here...in the burbs...heaven forbid i would actually know what I am talking about. And as I mentioned, I am taking additional steps for protection just to put peoples worries to rest (thanks in part to bull from people like yourself). I can tell your from Personal experience that there will be more officers on duty around that time than you could imagine. Every department along Woodward and surrounding Jurisdictions dont allow any officers days off the week around the Dream cruise to put the maximum number of officers on the road. They also pay other departments to have additional officers work from the other departments not directly affected by the WDC. I know because guys from my Department have done that in years past, and we are in a different County! Your opinions arent unwelcome, but untrue and not factual. I happen to know a little more behind the scenes info on Law Enforcement, both proactive and preventative in nature, as well as reactive. Is this fullproof? no...nothing is, the best we can do is pay attention and ask for extra attention for our lot... I for one am not worried.

MERCDADDY
07-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Stirring the pot? Not really. My rant that got censored a while back started out as a really poor attempt to be humorous while mixing in some truth, but it obviously caught the ire of more than a few here. My bad, shoot me, I learned. I can't take it back, wouldn't if I could. I wrote it, posted it, and own up to it. So instead of pretending it didn't happen, I leave that in my sig so everybody knows I'm the a-hole who doesn't like Detroit. So what, big deal, I'm over it. If you're not over it, I'm OK with that too. After all, you're just as entitled to your opinion as I am.

Now, all I was saying about HwyCruisers post and your reply was that weekend poses more than normal risk to MM's, (and all nice, valuable cars for that matter), due to the nature of the event and it's location. So just be aware if you hadn't considered it, and be honest about the risk with others who may be reading this, just my $.02. Have a nice evening.

Merc-O-matic
07-19-2005, 07:29 PM
It's nice to know the average "turd" knows the difference
between an '03 and a '04. Right! :rolleyes:
Maybe he wants the "heated seats".....and dual knock sensors!

Gotta Love It!

SergntMac
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
I wonder if they are only counting stolen vehicles or vehicles that had parts taken off from it... such as rims. Anyone know?
Yep. First, let me say that the name for this crime we're talking about changes from county to county, but what happens with the crime stats does not.

Stats. Gotta love them. You can use stats to prove (and disprove) anything. Take for instances how the homicide rate of any major city can be reduced 50 percent, by buying 50 percent more ambulances...Hehehe, It's true! Crime stats also multiply when you put more cops on the beat in one specific geographical area. Think about it? A local "citizen group" complains that crime is on the increase in their neighborhood because local cops are uncariing, or, "spend too much time in donut shops", and the Chief/District Commander responds with a police "full court press". Guess what the end result will be, go ahead, guess. More criminals are apprehended, thus more crime gets reported "stat-wise", and crime seems to go up. It's true, and it never fails.

Here in Chicago, the Central Auto Theft group (CAT) counts auto related crimes and it's under my command. My team works 24/7, counting stolen (and recovered) automobiles, and entering stolen auto (and deleting when recovered) from Illinois and national law enforcement computer systems.

CAT also logs "index" crimes for the FBI "Uniform Crime Reporting" national stats. These FBI mandated stats are released to the public monthly, and again, stats can produce a lot of misinformation.

According to the rules established by the FBI, an Auto Theft is an index crime all by itself. Auto Theft occurs when the whole car is stolen. When just parts are taken from a car, but the rest of the car remains, it's classified as another "index" crime, simple Theft (under 300 dollars value and Theft/Over). If the automobile is taken from inside a structure, like a garage, it's recorded as a Burglary. When the automobile is taken when the owner/driver is present, it's recorded as a Robbery. When the owner/driver is inside the car when the demand is made, it's a Vehicle Hijacking, and when a gun is used make the demand fearful, it's Aggravated Vehicle Hijacking.

Confused? Me too! But, when someone stealing just the wheels (or other components) from the automobile, it's just Theft (under/over). Take the whole car, but leave the VIN tag, it's still just Theft, because what was stolen is not an automobile without a VIN tag. BTW, a shoplifter stealing a bottle of asprin is also just a Theft (under) and it's counted (scored) the same as wheels from a Marauder. So, if you want to beat someone to near death for shoplifting asprin, grab a tire iron, I'm sure he'll need the asprin.

Moreover, it's more work for the CAT team when a private tow company tows a car for illegal parking on private property, or, it gets repossessed. When owners beat the tow driver/repo dude to the telephone, it's an Auto Theft stat. Even when it's located, and intact just a few minutes later, the owner's report of a stolen car stays on books as an Auto Theft stat. Therefore, if a tow company/repo dude hooks five automobiles in one zip code, but doesn't report them to my CAT team before the owners make police reports, the Auto Theft "index" for that zip code goes up by 5, even though the car wasn't really stolen. Stats. Gotta love them.

It's also true that only the '04s are counted in this report, by virtue of their "M79" VIN designation. '03s are "M75", and are counted as Gran Marquis. How misleading is that?

I can't say for sure, but it looks like this report was built around "number of vehicles stolen per capita, where "capita = number sold". If so, yes, we could rank #8 in this stat perversion. Happy Motoring, y'all. Insurance rates for '04 owners are sure to gain some attention from insurance companies, if nothing more than their excuse to raise rates.

The Chicago-Detroit rumble over whos car guy is better got way out of control and I told myself not to get into such things agian.Yeah maybe. Still, you (and BigSlim), took some uncharacteristic swings yourselves. Said some things I never expected to hear from you two. General "rule of thumb" on that crap is, if you don't want to be a suspect standing a line-up, don't be seen hanging out at the crime scene.

HwyCruiser
07-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Little touchy Hack? No doubt about it, we are officially a target by people that don't quite care how nice the burbs are. Usually the quieter the better. None the less, no foul meant to anyone associated with MVIII... its those that aren't that worry me. Anyway, let me make this up to you when I see you in the burbs. :beer:

No need for that, First of all...it isnt detroit! Its a good area and I will be calling Madison Heights PD and asking for a professional courtesy and get some additional passes for special attention to our cars at night.

Thanks Dave. I rest assured. I know you probably feel that this is under your watch.

I have a shotgun rack mounted in my Marauder Paul, I will give him my keys to stand watch!

Cool! I'll probably only need the blunt end anyway. :D

I'm going stag this year, so I'll be out in the parking lot with the rest of the night shift. I rested well in Indy knowing we had our own informal watch on tour.

DEFYANT
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I wonder how many searchs there are reguarding security systems now.

DEFYANT
07-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Mac,
How does Unauthorized Use fit in over there? Do you count that as a theft?

MERCDADDY
07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
More words of wisdom from an out of stater...I live here, and work here...in the burbs...heaven forbid i would actually know what I am talking about. And as I mentioned, I am taking additional steps for protection just to put peoples worries to rest (thanks in part to bull from people like yourself). I can tell your from Personal experience that there will be more officers on duty around that time than you could imagine. Every department along Woodward and surrounding Jurisdictions dont allow any officers days off the week around the Dream cruise to put the maximum number of officers on the road. They also pay other departments to have additional officers work from the other departments not directly affected by the WDC. I know because guys from my Department have done that in years past, and we are in a different County! Your opinions arent unwelcome, but untrue and not factual. I happen to know a little more behind the scenes info on Law Enforcement, both proactive and preventative in nature, as well as reactive. Is this fullproof? no...nothing is, the best we can do is pay attention and ask for extra attention for our lot... I for one am not worried.
You're right, I'm an out of stater....I left the Metro for a reason. Heaven forbid I have an fact-based opinion, based on having lived in the Metro, that might actually be of value to others.

I'm also very encouraged to read that every available law enforcement officer will be on duty all weekend to protect all the good upstanding citizens from......nothing?

I don't want to discourage people from going to the cruise or MVIII. All I am saying is it's really not right to lead people to believe there is nothing to be concerned about. It ain't Disneyland up there. Just be honest, be smart, and be careful. And have a great time.

gray bear
07-19-2005, 08:44 PM
The only car on the list that is worth a crap IMHO is the MM. I could think of alot of cars I'd rather have than them. But it is a shame we live in times of thieving bastages, iceholes, and corksuckers.
I say line up all the car jackers and :uzi:

1stMerc
07-19-2005, 09:15 PM
I say hang um by the fingers that offend thee.

BlackHole
07-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Are people defeating the PATS? Or just hooking up to a tow truck and heading down the road? Kinda hard to defend against that. My wife's Taurus has PATS and an alarm and hers got towed for a parking violation. No sweat as far as the tow truck guys are concerned.

With a laptop and a program you can start up the vehicle and drive it normally. This happen with a guy over on SVT Performance.com with his 2000 Lightning. the theifs broke in plugged the laptop to the ECU and started the truck right up. And drove it out of a secured parking deck.

Mad1
07-19-2005, 09:26 PM
With all this spouting about this list, I went to the press release they sent out.

Here's the whole thing, but I'll highlight the salient points.

Mad1
Jeremy

--------------------

1999 Acura Integra Tops Most Stolen Vehicle List

2004 Most Stolen Vehicle List Points to Thieves’ Needs for Speed

CHICAGO, July 19, 2005 – According to CCC Information Services Inc.’s 2004 most stolen vehicle report, one of every 200 registered 1999 Acura Integra’s was stolen last year, making it 2004’s most stolen vehicle. The 2002 BMW M Roadster and the 1998 Acura Integra ranked as the second and third most stolen vehicles respectively.

A technology provider to the automotive claims and collision repair industry, CCC processes more than 1 million automotive claims-related transactions each day, resulting in an extensive database of vehicle information. The company identifies the most-stolen vehicles by analyzing total loss claims it receives from more than 350 property and casualty insurers in North America. CCC then compares its stolen-vehicle data against vehicle registration volume information provided by R. L. Polk & Co. to determine the rate of theft as a percentage of registered vehicles. The vehicle with the highest theft percentage is deemed the year’s most stolen vehicle.

As conjectured ... the stats are overinflated by the low production run.

“We cannot determine with absolute certainty the reason why thieves steal some vehicles over others, but we see trends in the data that provide interesting insight,” said Carole Comstock, CCC’s vice president of marketing and product management. “For instance, our data suggests some cars are stolen for the value of their parts, which may explain why we often see a ‘clustering’ effect with same make and model vehicles from sequential model years. The data also points to a high proportion of stolen cars that are built for speed such as the BMW M Roadster, Audi S4 and Mercury Marauder, which all appear on the top 25 most stolen vehicles list in 2004.”

‘Clustering’ most frequently occurs with upper midsize cars, such as the Acura Integra and Honda Accord. The 2004 most stolen vehicle list provides an example of this phenomenon. Acura Integras with consecutive model years (1994-2001) account for eight of the top 25 spots. “Some manufacturers retain the same part-type from model year to model year, so a part from a 1995 model may fit a car manufactured three years later,” added Comstock.

As for thieves’ ‘need for speed’, said Comstock, “There is a growing interest in street car racing and participants seem to gravitate toward the Acura Integra as their vehicle of choice. Other vehicles, including the Mercury Marauder and BMW M Roadster, while not likely to be used in street car racing, have been manufactured with speed in mind.”

Other trends observed in 2004 demonstrate the correlation between consumer preferences and increasing gas prices with vehicle thefts. The growing number of thefts of the Fullsize Utility vehicle segment, including the Cadillac Escalade and Land Rover, is consistent with the rise in popularity of these vehicles. Additionally, The Heavy Duty Station Wagon vehicle segment, which includes those vehicles known for their gas guzzling, has dropped off of the top 10 most stolen vehicle segments list, and the more efficiently fueled Basic Economy vehicle segment has moved up that list.

This is particularly funny. Heavy duty station wagons aren't popular with thieves ... or consumers either. What a surprise.

Information on Make, Age and Segment of vehicle
· Vehicles made in 1997 were the most susceptible to theft, followed by model years 1996, 1999, 1995 and 1998.
· The high number of stolen Integras made Acura the most stolen make of 2004, followed by Hummer, Land Rover, Daewoo and Honda.
· The top three vehicle segments with the highest rate of theft for 2004 were the Fullsize Utility (e.g., Cadillac Escalade), Upper Midsize (e.g. Acura Integra) and the Prestige Luxury (e.g. Bentley Continental and Mercedes Benz).

The most stolen vehicle report is based on total losses identified as stolen and not recovered. CCC does not include temporary auto-related thefts such as “joy-rides” or the theft of car items such as stereos.
Vehicles from model year 2005 were not included on this report.

About CCC
CCC Information Services Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of CCC Information Services Group (NASDAQ: CCCG), headquartered in Chicago, IL, is a leading supplier of advanced software, communications systems, Internet and wireless-enabled technology solutions to the automotive claims and collision repair industries. Its technology-based products and services optimize efficiency throughout the entire claims management supply chain and facilitate communication among approximately 21,000 collision repair facilities, 350 insurance companies, and a range of industry participants. For more information about CCC Information Services Inc., visit our Web site at www.cccis.com; or contact Michelle Hellyar of CCC Information Services at 312-229-2830 or John Harris of CCC Information Services at 312-229-2693.

Here's the numbers to call and register your displeasure about being lumped into this ridiculous PR exercise ... and maybe we should threaten to sick our "lawyers" on 'em when our insurance rates go up unnecessarily.

Breadfan
07-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Don't think he'll bother anymore MM's :D That's why I now protect my rims with a "don't steal my rims" stick...

http://www.defensedevices.com/aspbaton16inch.html

BTW, I did just get one from a guy at work, picked it up for me at a gun show, is it legal to keep in the car?? It's just a stick...ugh, sorry not trying to threadcrap...

edit: dang, don't think I can... :(

stevengerard
07-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Don't think I wasn't worried about being in "Detroit" with my special car. I looked out in the parking lot from my window and saw 40 - 50 cars of which 35 - 40 were more unique or "better" in my opinion then mine - including a whole row of mid year vettes. Never say never but overall every person is there for the same reason and everyone seemed to be looking out for each others cars.

bigslim
07-19-2005, 10:50 PM
You're right, I'm an out of stater....I left the Metro for a reason. Heaven forbid I have an fact-based opinion, based on having lived in the Metro, that might actually be of value to others.

I'm also very encouraged to read that every available law enforcement officer will be on duty all weekend to protect all the good upstanding citizens from......nothing?

I don't want to discourage people from going to the cruise or MVIII. All I am saying is it's really not right to lead people to believe there is nothing to be concerned about. It ain't Disneyland up there. Just be honest, be smart, and be careful. And have a great time.
Why don't you just put yourself in a box and mail it to some far away place. Heaven forbid you go to any major metropolis. Crime is everywhere. "GET OVER IT". It really bothers me how people put down Detroit. Yes it has crime. Yes you have to be aware of your surroundings. But it is no different than any other major city. The city also gets a bad rap in the presses. Did anyone read about how well the city hosted the "The All Star Game". Not one major upset happened during that week. The press has a field day on Detroit. So guess you believe what you want to believe. Glad to see you are gone from here. If you don't like it here "MERCDADDY" stay away.

bigslim
07-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Yep. First, let me say that the name for this crime we're talking about changes from county to county, but what happens with the crime stats does not.

Stats. Gotta love them. You can use stats to prove (and disprove) anything. Take for instances how the homicide rate of any major city can be reduced 50 percent, by buying 50 percent more ambulances...Hehehe, It's true! Crime stats also multiply when you put more cops on the beat in one specific geographical area. Think about it? A local "citizen group" complains that crime is on the increase in their neighborhood because local cops are uncariing, or, "spend too much time in donut shops", and the Chief/District Commander responds with a police "full court press". Guess what the end result will be, go ahead, guess. More criminals are apprehended, thus more crime gets reported "stat-wise", and crime seems to go up. It's true, and it never fails.

Here in Chicago, the Central Auto Theft group (CAT) counts auto related crimes and it's under my command. My team works 24/7, counting stolen (and recovered) automobiles, and entering stolen auto (and deleting when recovered) from Illinois and national law enforcement computer systems.

CAT also logs "index" crimes for the FBI "Uniform Crime Reporting" national stats. These FBI mandated stats are released to the public monthly, and again, stats can produce a lot of misinformation.

According to the rules established by the FBI, an Auto Theft is an index crime all by itself. Auto Theft occurs when the whole car is stolen. When just parts are taken from a car, but the rest of the car remains, it's classified as another "index" crime, simple Theft (under 300 dollars value and Theft/Over). If the automobile is taken from inside a structure, like a garage, it's recorded as a Burglary. When the automobile is taken when the owner/driver is present, it's recorded as a Robbery. When the owner/driver is inside the car when the demand is made, it's a Vehicle Hijacking, and when a gun is used make the demand fearful, it's Aggravated Vehicle Hijacking.

Confused? Me too! But, when someone stealing just the wheels (or other components) from the automobile, it's just Theft (under/over). Take the whole car, but leave the VIN tag, it's still just Theft, because what was stolen is not an automobile without a VIN tag. BTW, a shoplifter stealing a bottle of asprin is also just a Theft (under) and it's counted (scored) the same as wheels from a Marauder. So, if you want to beat someone to near death for shoplifting asprin, grab a tire iron, I'm sure he'll need the asprin.

Moreover, it's more work for the CAT team when a private tow company tows a car for illegal parking on private property, or, it gets repossessed. When owners beat the tow driver/repo dude to the telephone, it's an Auto Theft stat. Even when it's located, and intact just a few minutes later, the owner's report of a stolen car stays on books as an Auto Theft stat. Therefore, if a tow company/repo dude hooks five automobiles in one zip code, but doesn't report them to my CAT team before the owners make police reports, the Auto Theft "index" for that zip code goes up by 5, even though the car wasn't really stolen. Stats. Gotta love them.

It's also true that only the '04s are counted in this report, by virtue of their "M79" VIN designation. '03s are "M75", and are counted as Gran Marquis. How misleading is that?

I can't say for sure, but it looks like this report was built around "number of vehicles stolen per capita, where "capita = number sold". If so, yes, we could rank #8 in this stat perversion. Happy Motoring, y'all. Insurance rates for '04 owners are sure to gain some attention from insurance companies, if nothing more than their excuse to raise rates.
Yeah maybe. Still, you (and BigSlim), took some uncharacteristic swings yourselves. Said some things I never expected to hear from you two. General "rule of thumb" on that crap is, if you don't want to be a suspect standing a line-up, don't be seen hanging out at the crime scene.
Yes I took some swings. I have been quite on that whole "mine is better than yours" thing. I got into it because I am sick of tired of the same old arguing over nothing. I try to be diplomatic but sometimes I can't hold back. There are a few things that bother me.
One, don't talk about my city or the surrounding areas. Leave that to us.

Second, I get tired of hearing the same old crap over and over and over. Let lying dogs lie.

Third, never harm me, my family or my friends. BTW, that goes for my car too.

I came out swinging at you because you took some swings at some guys that have become very good friends with me. Very reputable people they are. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I just look out for my friends. Hope when we see each other again we can put this behind us and enjoy the day.

STLR FN
07-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Slim,
Your city STINKS :D

David Morton
07-20-2005, 12:39 AM
My serenity goes up when I spend less time reading the news.

Less news = More serenity

MERCMAN
07-20-2005, 06:20 AM
OK, I give up,, just what is "the patented Marauder ping"?

04MEMA
07-20-2005, 06:34 AM
The article I read says that the most stolen car is the 1999 Integra. It said that 1 in 200 are stolen. If we apply this number to 2004 Marauders of which approximately 3,200 were made we come up with - let's see 5 in 1000 and 3.2 times 5 = 16. So if 17 2004 Marauders were stolen it would make the top of the list. Correct me if I'm wrong here (it's certainly happened before).

Yep, I think we should all lock up our cars in the garage and never drive them again :D

Jeff

ckadiddle
07-20-2005, 07:07 AM
OK, I give up,, just what is "the patented Marauder ping"?
It's that sound the exhaust system makes when cooling after gettting fully heated up. Very loud "ping" sound. I noticed some minor tinging and pinging every day, but didn't hear the official LOUD ping until this past week when we took out first little road trip. Ran at highway speed for over an hour, then stopped at Cracker Barrell for brunch. It was a loud ping like someone tapped the exhaust pipe with a ballpeen hammer.

Hack Goby
07-20-2005, 07:11 AM
It was a loud ping like someone tapped the exhaust pipe with a ballpeen hammer.
Yep,That would be it. :D

MarauderMark
07-20-2005, 07:46 AM

You cannot ask for any better protection than this..Rest assured that there would be no MM attacks or otherwise while the sheriffs (MI2QWK4U , Bigslim , Hack Goby) are in town our cars are safe..Also if someone where to try something i am so sure it would be the last thing they ever did Cause if one of us are in trouble i am sure the hotel would empty out pretty fast to be there as i am sure most of you agree too...THANK YOU MOTOR CITY CREW!!!!!
REMEMBER YOUR IN GOOD HANDS SO HAVE A GREAT TIME...:2thumbs:
i surely wished i was going.. :(

SergntMac
07-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Mac,
How does Unauthorized Use fit in over there? Do you count that as a theft? Under the criminal code, it's Criminal Trespass to Vehicle. Under the Motor Vehicle code, it's Tampering with a Motor Vehicle. Both are Class A misdemeanors, penalty included up to 1 year incarceration, or, 1K dollar fine. Never seen anyone behind bars, but I have seen restitution ordered.

Interesting legal sidebar to both crimes, is that neither requires establishing proof of a customary mental state, i.e. "intent". All that is required for conviction, is that the accused was either inside the automobile, or, touched it in some manner leading/would lead to the removal of any component therein. I recall a gentleman who paid a 500 dollar fine for leaving the dealership with a set of keys in in his pocket after a test drive.

With all this spouting about this list, I went to the press release they sent out. Thanks, Mad, it does look like more stat perversion. That's what we manfacture in America now, information, and we have to start somewhere I suppose.

twolow
07-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Yep,That would be it. :D
I heard it the other day for the first time. I had gotten out and was messing around in the trunk. I jumped I was so startled.

Between the pipes 'gargling' when they get wet and this ping when they are hot my car doesn't know how to be quiet.

hdirish50
07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Wow, we made it to the list. How many are lime green

Mad1
07-20-2005, 09:38 AM
My serenity goes up when I spend less time reading the news.

Less news = More serenity

I believe that is the old saw ... Ignorance is bliss.

Mad1
Jeremy

Bluerauder
07-20-2005, 11:13 AM
i surely wished i was going.. :(
Any chance that this may change ??? :dunno: Sorry to hear that you won't be there at MV III. :(

Mike Poore
07-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Dave. It's comforting to know that our hosts are doing everything possible to make our Dream Cruise experience the best it can be. Your efforts on our behalf are appreicated, and I thank you. :high5:

I owe Hack the first beer, but you're next, and as events unfold and those who are working hard to make this the best event ever, become known to us, the list of guys I owe the first beer, is gonna grow, I'm sure. :beer:

BTW, I have no worries about my '04 Silver Birch, 'cause I'm gonna park next to Charlie's Bluerauder. I mean, who's car they gonna steal, right? :rofl:

JimmyXR7
07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
My local paper, the SJ Mercury, listed the 10 most stolen vehicles in America. The Mercury Marauder was number 8 on the list.
WOW!
I need to add more than wheel locks!
What do you guys (and gals) recommend?
Jim

BruteForce
07-20-2005, 07:29 PM
My local paper, the SJ Mercury, listed the 10 most stolen vehicles in America. The Mercury Marauder was number 8 on the list.
WOW!
I need to add more than wheel locks!
What do you guys (and gals) recommend?
Jim

Locked garage and a Yugo. :o

Bluerauder
07-20-2005, 07:48 PM
WOW!
Glad to see that you are on top of this situation, Jim. :rolleyes:

BTW, I have no worries about my '04 Silver Birch, 'cause I'm gonna park next to Charlie's Bluerauder. I mean, who's car they gonna steal, right?
:eek: Not funny, Mike !!!
:nono:
:shake:
:awe:
:razz:
:bop:
:corner:

MM03MOK
07-20-2005, 08:31 PM

:corner: Jim started a third thread on this so I merged his thread into this. :bunny2:

Mike Poore
07-21-2005, 09:51 AM

:eek: Not funny, Mike !!!
:nono:
:shake:
:awe:
:razz:
:bop:
:corner:
Hey Charlie, you forgot to give me the much deserved :neener:

Actually, my plan is to park next to Bluerauder, the car, and sleep in silver birch with my trusty 'ol 870, protecting our treasures.

Um, you giving any more thought to making Snow Shoe part of the plan? We hope to go up the previous Friday and get in a few ATV rides. Any chance you guys can come up a day or two early? The Snow Shoe Rails to Trails is worth the effort, and I have two machines. :D

MadMarauder
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
I saw a news show mentioning the most stolen vehicles, and no one knew what the hell a Mercury Marauder was. The first anchor pronounced it the Mercury Maraudo, then he corrected himself with Marader. The female anchor then chimed in with Mauder. I can understand that no one knows what this vehicle is, but damn, they cant read either.

Bluerauder
07-21-2005, 03:12 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I saw a news show mentioning the most stolen vehicles, and no one knew what the hell a Mercury Marauder was. The first anchor pronounced it the Mercury Maraudo, then he corrected himself with Marader. The female anchor then chimed in with Mauder. I can understand that no one knows what this vehicle is, but damn, they can't read either. :lol:
Just "Talking Heads" is all they are !!!!! :rofl:

MERCDADDY
07-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Why don't you just put yourself in a box and mail it to some far away place. Heaven forbid you go to any major metropolis. Crime is everywhere. "GET OVER IT". It really bothers me how people put down Detroit. Yes it has crime. Yes you have to be aware of your surroundings. But it is no different than any other major city. The city also gets a bad rap in the presses. Did anyone read about how well the city hosted the "The All Star Game". Not one major upset happened during that week. The press has a field day on Detroit. So guess you believe what you want to believe. Glad to see you are gone from here. If you don't like it here "MERCDADDY" stay away.

:bows:

And here I thought De Nile was just a big river....

GreekGod
07-22-2005, 04:40 AM
I saw on a teevee show Detroit had a "Robocop" that cleaned up on all the crime. It WAS a while ago 'cause he was drivin' a new car called a "Taurus".
Slim,
Your city STINKS :D

Shaft333
07-22-2005, 05:19 AM
:bows:

And here I thought De Nile was just a big river....
I missed Slim's rant... I laughed heartily. And thought of Kentucky Fried Movie. Laughed some more.

"Take them to Detroit!"
"Noooooo! Not Detroit!!!!!"

That movie cracks me up.

Lou
07-22-2005, 08:36 AM
This just out, a list of the most often stolen cars.:down:

Not a list we want to be on!!

Most Stolen Vehicles of 2004

1999 Acura Integra
2002 BMW M Roadster
1998 Acura Integra
1991 GMC V2500
2002 Audi S4
1996 Acura Integra
1995 Acura Integra
2004 Mercury Marauder
1997 Acura Integra
1992 Mercedes-Benz 600

SergntMac
07-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Old news, but thanks anyway.

twolow
07-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Heh, this topic was discussed till its dead a few threads down. Your a week late on the news :P

dwasson
07-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I think that there is an echo here ....

MERCMAN
07-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I think that there is an echo here ....

Must not be a duck that posted it then :rofl:

(note,,a duck's quack will not echo!!)

twolow
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Must not be a duck that posted it then :rofl:

(note,,a duck's quack will not echo!!)
I thought myth busters said it did echo but the tone of the quack makes if almost impossible to hear?? That episode was so long ago I have forgotten all the key points :)

rocknrod
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Dem-it.....

Left my MM in the driveway with the cover on it when I departed for Illinois in June. I have faith all will be well though :)

2003 MIB
07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Dem-it.....

Left my MM in the driveway with the cover on it when I departed for Illinois in June. I have faith all will be well though :)
Do you need us to go check on her?

twolow
07-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Dem-it.....

Your car will probably still be there...the wheels however will probably be on ebay :)

Mike Poore
07-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Your car will probably still be there...the wheels however will probably be on ebay :)
OMG! Here we go with buttermilk in the keyboard again! :eek:

And I thought all I had to do was be careful when opening Dan's posts.:rofl:

JimmyXR7
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Lou]This just out, a list of the most often stolen cars.:down:

Not a list we want to be on!![QUOTE=Lou]

The big news story here is that Cadillac is a high demand car because it is on the list too!

But I see Cadillac at #18 and Mercury Marauder at #8!

I would rather have my Marauder.

The news media does not even know what a Marauder is!

Jim

MENINBLK
07-22-2005, 04:51 PM
The news media does not even know what a Marauder is!

Jim

Donald Trump to the News Editor....

You don't know what a 2004 Marauder is ???

YOU'RE FIRED !

Vortex
07-23-2005, 02:37 AM
see link
http://speedtv.com/articles/automotiveconsumer/automotive/18283/

SergntMac
07-23-2005, 02:45 AM
OMG!

You're kidding, right?

Number eight?

Oh my...

Bluerauder
07-23-2005, 04:45 AM
OMG!

You're kidding, right?

Number eight?

Oh my...
No, it's true !! I heard this somewhere before too. :rolleyes:

SergntMac
07-23-2005, 06:08 AM
No, it's true !! I heard this somewhere before too. :rolleyes: Well why in Hell didn't someone post something about this! Y'all asleep, or, something?

jdando
07-23-2005, 06:14 AM
Well why in Hell didn't someone post something about this! Y'all asleep, or, something?
Is this the Ground Hog Day thread? :help:

jeremy

MM03MOK
07-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Is this the Ground Hog Day thread? :help:

jeremyThat's the why I feel about it. Every morning there's another one. This makes 4 additional threads. :rolleyes: :P :rolleyes: :P

duhtroll
07-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I know. On a related note, I heard the 2004 MM was on a list of "most stolen cars" or something.

Can't seem to find the link right now, but I'm sure someone will start a thread about it soon.

-A

That's the why I feel about it. Every morning there's another one. This makes 4 additional threads. :rolleyes: :P :rolleyes: :P

SergntMac
07-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Got a call from my insurance dude, says the Marauder is the 8th most popular stolen car. Y'all hear anything on this?

DEFYANT
07-23-2005, 08:00 AM
there is a recent thread on this out there already.

danbike
07-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Go look for "Most Stolen List".

Your agent is correct. Lot's of people must like those wheels!!!!!

BruteForce
07-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Got a call from my insurance dude, says the Marauder is the 8th most popular stolen car. Y'all hear anything on this?

Do tell... ;)

twolow
07-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Mac is usually on top of things here....he must be joshing us :P

Maybe I should start a thread asking why my clock is in my radio and isn't in the middle of the dash like another MM I saw :rolleyes:

DEFYANT
07-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Mac is usually on top of things here....he must be joshing us :P
I was just thinkin the same thing.....:shake:

MM03MOK
07-23-2005, 08:23 AM

MM03MOK
07-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Mac is usually on top of things here....Oh, he's on top of things, alright!

SergntMac
07-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Oh, he's on top of things, alright! wha.......................

Petrograde
07-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Don't worry all...

Only lime green Marauders are at risk. :P

Smokie
07-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Got a call from my insurance dude, says the Marauder is the 8th most popular stolen car. Y'all hear anything on this?Good thing I have Grand Marquis...:rolleyes:

the_pack_rat
07-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Good thing I have Grand Marquis...:rolleyes: I know what ya' mean.

I can remember a few years back when the Firestone tire - Ford Explorer stuff hit the fan ...

I was so relieved that I owned a Mountaineer ....

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Marauder386
07-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Glad i owned a Mercury Bobcat instead of a Ford Pinto ... remember that debacle ? :baaa:

:coolman:

RCSignals
08-06-2005, 11:16 PM
OK, since there is a new thread on all this, and it's locked, I'll go ahead and bump this one. It's OK, you don't have to thank me.

Mac, tell us about the usefulness of "window etching", which as you know can be in the form of the VIN, or a 'special' theft Insurance policy number.

I know a few Insurance companies give a discount for VIN etching, even though all cars have a VIN tag and the VIN also in about 18 other places.

MM03MOK
08-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks Duncan.

jgc61sr2002
08-07-2005, 10:38 AM
OK, since there is a new thread on all this, and it's locked, I'll go ahead and bump this one. It's OK, you don't have to thank me.

Mac, tell us about the usefulness of "window etching", which as you know can be in the form of the VIN, or a 'special' theft Insurance policy number.

I know a few Insurance companies give a discount for VIN etching, even though all cars have a VIN tag and the VIN also in about 18 other places.

Most insurance companies will give a discount for VIN etching.
The more ways to ID your vehicle the better chance of recovery if stolen.

The NYPD will do this as a community service at no charge and will issue a letter of documentation for your ins co.

RCSignals
08-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Most insurance companies will give a discount for VIN etching.
The more ways to ID your vehicle the better chance of recovery if stolen.

The NYPD will do this as a community service at no charge and will issue a letter of documentation for your ins co.

I can see the idea behind VIN etching, I don't think it'd stop a thief but might deter some, and an insurance discount is always good.

Does anyone see any value to the 'theft insurance' etching, which is just a policy number? To me it seems more like another borderline insurance scam.

duhtroll
08-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey, did you hear the MM is like #8 on the most stolen cars list or something?

-A

RCSignals
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
how'd i miss that? No. 8 you say? Not so popular then....

Now, what about window etching ? :)

jgc61sr2002
08-08-2005, 04:49 PM
I can see the idea behind VIN etching, I don't think it'd stop a thief but might deter some, and an insurance discount is always good.

Does anyone see any value to the 'theft insurance' etching, which is just a policy number? To me it seems more like another borderline insurance scam.

The parts are harder to sell ( Usless) if they can be identified. Every little bit helps.

03SILVERSTREAK
08-08-2005, 10:59 PM

Limited-production vehicles like the Mercury Marauder — which was made for only two years — also are targets.Time to install the secondary cut off...:shake:
/ (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8620904/)

RCSignals
08-09-2005, 12:52 AM
The parts are harder to sell ( Usless) if they can be identified. Every little bit helps.

I suppose yes, but how often, when a car is stolen to part out, is glass resold?

With the insurance policy number etch, which is usually only applied to new vehicles by dealers, it's really a useless number unless one has paid for the 'policy'. So in that case, it's not much good for anything but destroying the value of the glass. I think that kind of number etching (non-VIN) also detracts from the value of the vehicle.