PDA

View Full Version : Help with my wifes car...

blackf0rk
07-19-2005, 06:52 PM
My wife has a '99 Cavalier. She was driving to work and the battery light was going on and off, intermitantly, and sometimes flickering. The following day I went to go get a battery and the car died. Fortunately I was able to pull it into a service station where they replaced my battery and told me my alternator wasn't charging right and that it needed to be replaced too. The following day I replaced the alternator.

About 2 days go by, and now the battery light starts flashing and going on intermitantly again. And now it's on for good. Does anyone know what this could be?

BK_GrandMarquis
07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
My wife has a '99 Cavalier. She was driving to work and the battery light was going on and off, intermitantly, and sometimes flickering. The following day I went to go get a battery and the car died. Fortunately I was able to pull it into a service station where they replaced my battery and told me my alternator wasn't charging right and that it needed to be replaced too. The following day I replaced the alternator.

About 2 days go by, and now the battery light starts flashing and going on intermitantly again. And now it's on for good. Does anyone know what this could be?
I had an 1986 Sunbird and a 1993 Cavalier. The alternators were known to go bad often. The only other thing I can think of is the belt for the alternator. If the 1999 is similar to the earlier models, it didn't have a self adjusting tensioner like our Panthers. Check the belt tension to see if it's taut enough.

grampaws
07-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Altenator..is it warranteed??...check loose or corroded connections..
GM did have a series of altenators that where known to have
weak rectifier diodes that burnout under load...in mid/late 1990's models
Yours should have a spring loaded tensioner/if it is weak belt squeal will
be annoying...Low or rough idle could cause this to happen at a stop..
then a tune-up might be req..

gpfarrell
07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Does that car have a separate voltage regulator or is it built into the alternator?

A whacky voltage regulator will throw everything off.

grampaws
07-19-2005, 07:31 PM
It will be built into the Alt..Altenator would be most likely fault...

Use volt meter at the battery terminals
turn on lights,heater fan and wipers ..
engine running voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.8 volts
if it drops below 14v the light should come on..
replace alt if below 13.8 volts
a good battery should show 12.8 to 13.2 v

Does that car have a separate voltage regulator or is it built into the alternator?

A whacky voltage regulator will throw everything off.

blackf0rk
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
It will be built into the Alt..Altenator would be most likely fault...

Use volt meter at the battery terminals
turn on lights,heater fan and wipers ..
engine running voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.8 volts
if it drops below 14v the light should come on..
replace alt if below 13.8 volts
a good battery should show 12.8 to 13.2 vI have already replaced the alternator. I do not have a voltage meter that will test that low of a voltage. I replaced the belt along with the alternator, and the tension was very taut; although how am I to know what it is suppose to be like...

And yes, the voltage regulator is built into the alternator - which I replaced.

By the way, I replaced the battery and the alternator.

and the alternator too

SideshowBob
07-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Could be you just got another bad alternator. I once went through 3 reman alternators before I got one that worked.

blackf0rk
07-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Sounds like fun! :)

duhtroll
07-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Try replacing the battery.

Or maybe the alternator.

It could be the alternator, however.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself) :D

-A

blackf0rk
07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
All joking aside, this isn't funny because everyday that this car is like this my wife is driving MY Marauder to where she works - a supermarket, with shopping carts, and parking lots, and people with other cars - NOOOOOO

I gotta get this heap fixed before the door ding fary's arrive on my car door.

Although today I drove her to work, so she's (My car) is safe for today at least. :bows:

RoyLPita
07-20-2005, 09:09 AM
I would find out if the place that you bought the alternator from has a voltage meter handy.

MarauderMark
07-20-2005, 11:29 AM
:laugh:

this isn't funny because everyday that this car is like this my wife is driving MY Marauder

Try replacing the battery.did you replace yours?

Could be you just got another bad alternator. I once went through 3 reman alternators before I got one that worked.i've had this happen as well..

Or check the alt plug make sure the wires aren't loose in the connector or somewhere else down the line..

texascorvette
07-21-2005, 07:09 PM
she must have had that when you married her. there are no Marauder owners who would buy one of those pieces of guano without a gun being held against their heads.
All joking aside, this isn't funny because everyday that this car is like this my wife is driving MY Marauder to where she works - a supermarket, with shopping carts, and parking lots, and people with other cars - NOOOOOO

I gotta get this heap fixed before the door ding fary's arrive on my car door.

Although today I drove her to work, so she's (My car) is safe for today at least. :bows:

blackf0rk
07-24-2005, 07:51 PM
she must have had that when you married her. there are no Marauder owners who would buy one of those pieces of guano without a gun being held against their heads.
Yea, I didn't buy it. It was her father's. Then he passed and she kept it for hers. It's been a great running car tho. This is the first work we've had to do to it. :o

TX Harley Guy
07-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Like the others said, im thinking the new one is bad.
If its reman from Autozone, Oreillys or another chain you can depend on it. Oreillys does have a line of new alternators that are pretty good though.

67435animal
07-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Yea, I didn't buy it. It was her father's. Then he passed and she kept it for hers. It's been a great running car tho. This is the first work we've had to do to it. :o

How are the battery cables? Did you clean them and make sure that they are snug? Is the negative cable grounded snugly and clean? This is a basic and easy fix.

Otherwise, given what you have done, I would say the new alternator is bad.

Bob

David Morton
07-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Summertime heat kills these alternators in those tight engine bays. You had a new battery at the same time so overworking the internal regulator can't be the cause. Trust me, it's the heat. If one of the diodes burns up, you need a new alternator.

When I worked for Buick I replaced hundereds. The Delco alternators did well, only a few comebacks, but the rumors were that the aftermarket alternators wouldn't last the day so I'd take it back and get them to fix it.

Best of luck. Be reading you.

grampaws
07-25-2005, 05:28 PM
It is common to get faulty Reman altenators....

Could be you just got another bad alternator. I once went through 3 reman alternators before I got one that worked.