PDA

View Full Version : Drove an Audi A3

gpfarrell
07-19-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure why you're reading this... I thought driving the car would be boring so reading about would have to be dull too!

But... I was wrong. I had the car as loaner to use during the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and probably put a hundred miles or so on it.

It had the 2.0 turbo with a 6-speed... pretty fun combo, especially in a mini-wagon... ahem, 5-door hatchback. Incredible room inside, with lots of cargo space behind the rear seats, and still more after easily folding them.

Road & Track says the little rascal will do the 1/4 mile in 14.9... I didn't try that, but the new fuelie/turbo set-up in the car feels great. It had none of the lag that I noticed in an Audi TT a few years ago, just a gentle... then forceful... wooooosh.

At 70 mph the car had incredible reserve power in any of the top 3 gears. Nice shifter too... almost comparable to the shorty shifter I put in our BMW.

The car handled well and had a golf-cart like turning circle, plus great visibility all the way around.

The car I had seemed to be a base model... no sunroof or leather... but it was still nicely equipped and even had dual-zone climate control. The A/C was awesome in 90 degree heat/ 90% humidity.

The quality of the materials was first rate... it might be the least expensive Audi but didn't feel the least bit cheap.

I'm not sure they're offering Quattro on these... it had traction control though.

All-in-all, a very well finished little car. Also, I was very surprised at how much attention the car got at our event. Amidst 1500+ showcars lots of folks stopped to see the little Audi.

Btw, I offer this for those interested or curious... I like sampling different wheels (independent of actually liking the wheels I'm sampling) and thought others here might enjoy the peak. I doubt any of us care if you think its ugly or feel foreign cars will destroy life as we know it.

Cheers,
Greg