PDA

View Full Version : Drove a Ford GT

gpfarrell
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Okay, honestly... I moved a Ford GT.

First a hundred feet or so from the parking lot to a grassy area in front of the country club. I can report that with the help of some 2X10s the car is quite adept at scaling a curb.

Later, I drove it around the parking lot just a bit... not a real big deal, but closer than I ever dreamed of getting to one of these, so here's what I saw if you're interested....

The key fob seemed identicle to the Maruader's... at least they've got that much in common.

Sliding in over the wide sill was worth the effort. The interior is way cool. I was real busy the first time I got behind the wheel but just had to pause and admire everything. The seats are awesome. The shifter feels so tough. The switchgear is retro without being out-dated.
Big time lust for this one, no disappointments in sight.

Backing it up over the curb (with lots of extra eyes watching the exhaust or front spoiler didn't grab anything) should have been tedious, but the clutch take-up was superb. Easy low speed steering... if only I could have tried it at high speeds!

Outside of limited visibility to the rear (all those horses in the way), the car felt tame in close quarters.

Moving it later I couldn't resist the urge to chase it once around the parking lot.

Anything more than breathing on the throttle induced powerful acceleration; I have no idea where you could turn this thing loose.

I wanted to jump on it, but respect for high horsepower, dollar signs, and limited run-off space governed my need for speed.

I settled on taking it to the far end of the parking lot in 2nd gear, making a big sweeping turn, catching 1st, making sure the wheels were pointed straight ahead, and giving it a good kick.

I was scared to floor it. Those confines were no place to learn all about that car, but the peep-show I had was still awesome.

Kicking the throttle half... maybe three-quarters provided an intense rush of thrust. The supercharger started whistling, and the front of the car jumped just enough to let me know it was wide awake.

In less than 3 seconds I was off the throttle and back on the brakes. As I slowed to a stop I thought about trying it agian, but decided the smartest thing I could do was back it into a parking space and lock it up.

Incredible... I can't imagine what the other 4 gears must be like!

Cheers,
Greg

MENINBLK
07-19-2005, 08:21 PM
I heard that you can top out at 93 MPH in 2nd gear...

gpfarrell
07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I heard that you can top out at 93 MPH in 2nd gear...

So it's got two things in common with a Marauder :) ?

LVMarauder
07-20-2005, 12:30 AM
So it's got two things in common with a Marauder :) ?

ha, except after that we have 2 gears left and they have 4. Really wish there was a 5 speed or manual in the marauders........

David Morton
07-20-2005, 12:52 AM
ha, except after that we have 2 gears left and they have 4. Really wish there was a 5 speed or manual in the marauders........I'm sure either of those could be arranged.

But why? It really wouldn't be a Marauder with a manual tranny for me. Part of what makes the car unique is that it's like a Lincoln in creature comforts but is really a beast in diguise 'cause it's got a Mach 1 engine under the hood.

If I want to punch gears, I'll buy a new green Mustang. (and wear a turtle-neck and shoulder holster under my tweed jacket and get a girlfriend that drives a Kharmann Ghia) :D

ctrcbob
07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Greg,

If you really like that car, I think you should buy one. The following dealer in Batavia NY has a RED 2005 priced at "only" $259,000. www.mikeognibeneford.com (http://www.mikeognibeneford.com) Good luck :coolman: