PDA

View Full Version : Scotty "beamed up" RIP

MERCMAN
07-20-2005, 10:38 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/ap_on_en_tv/obit_doohan

Another one passes

duhtroll
07-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Saw that. You'd think they could have found a better picture for him than one immediately prior to his death. (The article I read on CNN had a really bad photo with it)

Really nice guy in person, too.

-A

MarauderMark
07-20-2005, 10:47 AM
R.I.P. James (Scotty) Doohan

Sully008
07-20-2005, 10:49 AM
"Is the word given, Admiral?"

"The word is given. Warp speed."

RIP, Scotty.

2003 MIB
07-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Not a big fan of the series but one must respect the impact Scotty had on our culture. I think it would be hard to find anyone who's never done a bad Scotty impersonation or at least uttered "Beam me up Scotty". Sad News.

Bluerauder
07-20-2005, 10:56 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/ap_on_en_tv/obit_doohan

Another one passes
Not bad longevity after all considering 61 years earlier, he took 6 machinegun bullets on the D-Day assault on Juno Beach including one in the chest that was stopped by a cigarette lighter. :D

jdando
07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Not bad longevity after all considering 61 years earlier, he took 6 machinegun bullets on the D-Day assault on Juno Beach including one in the chest that was stopped by a cigarette lighter. :D
"In 1974 he married Wende Braunberger, and their children were Eric, Thomas and Sarah, who was born in 2000, when Doohan was 80."

Looks like he had a long and full life. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. I can not imagine having a child at age 80, having one at 40 is enough work for me!

RIP, he seemed like a good man, played a great character on TV and movies.

jeremy

Breadfan
07-20-2005, 12:01 PM
That's some sad news, but considering the shape he was in atleast he'll be at rest. He was confined to a wheel chair and battling a few debilitating and terminal diseases.

Not to open a can of worms but when he made his final public appearance last year it saddened me to see him with a late-20's y/o wife and 4 year old daughter. The wife...kudos to him, ya know, but I feel bad for the 4 y/o where the last memories of her father will be him in bad shape in a wheel chair and then passed by age 5. That's kind of sad.

RF Overlord
07-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Montgomery Scott: the greatest engineer in the universe... :depress:

Ach, we'll miss ye, laddie...

Donny Carlson
07-20-2005, 04:49 PM
He's dead, Jim.

MENINBLK
07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Scotty has now boldy gone where no man has gone before.

RIP James (Scotty) Doohan

You will surely be missed here on Earth.

Petrograde
07-20-2005, 05:45 PM
man,.. what a bummer. :depress:

rayjay
07-20-2005, 06:51 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Scott

merc
07-20-2005, 07:49 PM
I know I am getting old. All my childhood T.V hero’s are passing on. Star Trek was one of my all time favorite Si Fi shows. It modeled my dreams and gave me the inspiration to go were no man has gone before.

How long to re-fit?" -- Kirk, "Eight weeks. But you don't have eight weeks, so I'll do it for you in two." -- Scotty, "Do you always multiply your repair estimates by a factor of four?" -- Kirk, "How else to maintain my reputation as a miracle worker?" -- Scotty, "Your reputation is safe with me."

I have be using Montgomery Scott's factor of four method for years. :beer:

DEFYANT
07-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Here's to ya, Lad!

Bluerauder
07-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Scotty has now boldy gone where no man has gone before.

RIP James (Scotty) Doohan

You will surely be missed here on Earth.
Just heard today that Scotty's remains will be put into orbit later this year just like what was done for Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry.

"LOS ANGELES - He made his name in Hollywood beaming his colleagues back to the safety of the Enterprise on "Star Trek." Now, actor James Doohan's family is hoping to beam him up to the "final frontier" that Doohan's character "Scotty" loved so dearly.

The actor, who died Wednesday at age 85, had told relatives he wanted his ashes blasted into outer space, as was done for "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry.

"He'll be there with his buddy, which is wonderful," said Doohan's agent and longtime friend, Steve Stevens.

Doohan died at his home in Redmond, Wash., with his wife of 31 years, Wende, at his side. He had retired from public events last year, not long after announcing he had Alzheimer's disease.

Houston-based Space Services Inc., which specializes in space memorials, plans to send a few grams of Doohan's ashes aboard a rocket later this year. The remains, which will be sealed in an aluminum capsule, will eventually burn up when they re-enter Earth's atmosphere.

It should be a fitting finale for an actor who, as the Starship Enterprise's frazzled chief engineer saved the Enterprise almost every week from blowing up, burning up or being overrun by renegade aliens when the warp drive, the phasers, the shields, the power cells or some other futuristic collection of doohickies failed."

hitchhiker
07-21-2005, 07:12 AM
RIP Scotty.

Hailing Frequencies Closed.

:beer:

Canadasvt
07-21-2005, 07:30 AM
She canna take much more Captain!

:nworthy: Ah, what a fine Canadian Mr.Doohan was :canada:. First Bones and how Scotty. Who's next?

:bagpipe3:

jgc61sr2002
07-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Scotty - RIP

DefyantExWife
07-21-2005, 06:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/snexus/4451.gif

Dr Caleb
07-21-2005, 06:41 PM
May your dilithium crystals be fully charged, your matter/anti-matter reaction balanced, your wee bairns well cared for, and I wish you a safe transport to your final shore leave.

I hope someone will play the pipes for him, as Scottie did for Mr. Spock.