PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

LimoMerc
07-20-2005, 11:28 PM
I dropped of my last passenger tonight and turned off the AC then put the windows down as I headed back to the shop to pick up my MM and go home. I was driving a 02 L series TownCar and after I put the windows down I thought what a nice night and I'll save the boss some money by not running the AC. The tought that ran through my mind next was this, modern cars are very aerodynamic and having the windows down creates a fare amount of drag, therefore am I actually going to get better gas milage or was that just what use to happen. I'm not worried about gas milage, thats not the point here, ok? I would just like to hear your thoughts:beer:

Rider90
07-21-2005, 01:54 AM
This was a subject on Myth Busters. They took two identical Ford Explorers, two identical amounts of fuel, and IIRC two drivers weighing the same, and did as many laps around a race track as they could before it ran out of fuel. The one with the A/C off and windows down completed around 15 more laps than the truck with A/C on.

BK_GrandMarquis
07-21-2005, 06:36 AM
This was a subject on Myth Busters. They took two identical Ford Explorers, two identical amounts of fuel, and IIRC two drivers weighing the same, and did as many laps around a race track as they could before it ran out of fuel. The one with the A/C off and windows down completed around 15 more laps than the truck with A/C on.
I saw this episode too. They are not extremely scientific. They siphoned out the fuel and thought they got out everything, then filled them up with equal amounts of fuel. They both used cruise control. The part about emptying the gas tank is what gets me. If they were off by the slightest bit, it could have given Adam's car that much over Jamie's. They should have removed the tanks completely and made sure they were empty.

It makes sense that the A/C makes the engine work harder but not sure if it's that much a difference over the amount of drag four open windows would create.

grampaws
07-21-2005, 07:42 AM
It should be better with he AC on...but another note if you'v ever

been around some of the older truck drivers alot of them seem to have
hearing problems in their left ears..the pounding of the wind on their
Ears has caused permanent hearing loss..just a note..:rolleyes:

jgc61sr2002
07-21-2005, 07:59 AM
IMO there is less drag with the windows closed especially at highway speeds.
The difference in gas mileage is nominal with the AC on as compared to it off with the windows open. I know that my AC will be on . :D