PDA

View Full Version : New product for hard to start engines

MERCMAN
07-23-2005, 05:59 AM
How many times have you said the exact same thing ??

SergntMac
07-23-2005, 07:18 AM
My ex used to say that a lot...

Joe Walsh
07-23-2005, 07:32 AM

LOL.... :rofl: .....so true!

What's else do they market ....'MO FO' bird crap remover?

Bluerauder
07-23-2005, 07:44 AM
What's else do they market ....'MO FO' bird crap remover?
I generally use "Sumsa Biches" for the bird crap that seems to be extra prolific this year. :rofl:

Rider90
07-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Far too many times :cool: Is that just a carb cleaner?

Joe Walsh
07-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Far too many times :cool: Is that just a carb cleaner?

Nope, It's ETHER spray. That stuff will light off with the slightest spark and burns fast! It probably has an octane rating of '50'.

When we were kids, My brother and I discovered that if you shot starting fluid (ether) into the air filter of our dad's riding mower it would go ballistic and run like a banshee! Kinda like a poor man's....errr, KID'S NITROUS! :D
Little did we know the potential engine damage we could have inflicted on the poor mower.

David Morton
07-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Nope, It's ETHER spray. That stuff will light off with the slightest spark and burns fast! It probably has an octane rating of '50'.

When we were kids, My brother and I discovered that if you shot starting fluid (ether) into the air filter of our dad's riding mower it would go ballistic and run like a banshee! Kinda like a poor man's....errr, KID'S NITROUS! :D
Little did we know the potential engine damage we could have inflicted on the poor mower.Joe's close, very low octane for ether.

Let me offer this small piece of advice...

NEVER USE ETHER IN A HIGH COMPRESSION GASOLINE ENGINE!

I'm as serious as a heart attack guys, use ether on our engine and you might as well play russian roulette with it. Cracked pistons and bent rods could result, and will if used too often, just a matter of time.

wsmylie
07-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Heh heh heh...nyuk-nyuk; great story Joe!!.. My crazy buddies and I did the same thing back in the early sixties with the ether spray product "Hot Start" on our homemade go-cart with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Turned that contraption into a real screaming terror. The stuff made the exhaust gas from the old one lunger smell kinda wierd though.....remember??? We finally caused it's demise by bending the piston rod as I recall. Any of you guys ever light-up a whole book of matches at once, stand back and fire the ether spray across the top of the flame???:eek: Man kids are nuts.

Little did we know the potential engine damage we could have inflicted on the poor mower.

Rider90
07-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Heh heh heh...nyuk-nyuk; great story Joe!!.. My crazy buddies and I did the same thing back in the early sixties with the ether spray product "Hot Start" on our homemade go-cart with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Turned that contraption into a real sceaming terror. The stuff made the exhaust gas from the old one lunger smell kinda wierd though.....remember??? We finally caused it's demise by bending the piston rod as I recall. Any of you guys ever light-up a whole book of matches at once, stand back and fire the ether spray across the top of the flame???:eek: Man kids are nuts.
lol...those briggs hold up!

We took a 5HP briggs and stratton, one that we found in the forest after sitting for "X" amount of years without any oil and threw it on our go-kart. I was maybe 11 years old at the time, and my brother was 13. We added oil, filled half the tank with 92 octane and the other have with "NITRO" which is fuel used in R/C cars with real engines (Not electric motors) we then took a motorcycle battery, an extra coil pack from a 1919 Model T, and some spark plug we had lying around. Found a small pipe around our shop, mounted the plug to the end of it and got the battery and coil mounted to the frame of the go-kart with duct tape, lots of duct tape. Forced the pipe to be the exact thread of the muffler inlet (Or maybe forced the inlet to be the thread of the pipe) which was one hell of a job.

In the end, dad comes home and sees his two kids swapping rides in the go kart, wearing a helmet, but going wide-open with flames shooting out the back about one foot long. Those were the days....

hitchhiker
07-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Do you smoke it, snort it, sniff it, drink it, or have it over ice-cream?

:D

Joe Walsh
07-24-2005, 08:27 AM
lol...those briggs hold up!

We took a 5HP briggs and stratton, one that we found in the forest after sitting for "X" amount of years without any oil and threw it on our go-kart. I was maybe 11 years old at the time, and my brother was 13. We added oil, filled half the tank with 92 octane and the other have with "NITRO" which is fuel used in R/C cars with real engines (Not electric motors) we then took a motorcycle battery, an extra coil pack from a 1919 Model T, and some spark plug we had lying around. Found a small pipe around our shop, mounted the plug to the end of it and got the battery and coil mounted to the frame of the go-kart with duct tape, lots of duct tape. Forced the pipe to be the exact thread of the muffler inlet (Or maybe forced the inlet to be the thread of the pipe) which was one hell of a job.

In the end, dad comes home and sees his two kids swapping rides in the go kart, wearing a helmet, but going wide-open with flames shooting out the back about one foot long. Those were the days....

LOL.....That sounds like it was a heck of a "Monster Garage" Go Kart!! :up:

Not to hijack this thread, but after we got bored of the 'ether injected' riding mower, my brother bought a used go kart and after a few months decided to take out it's Brigg's & Stratton and bolted in a used Honda CB360 twin cylinder motorcycle engine WITH the motorcycle's 5 speed tranny!!
It was a little go kart with straight axles and the much modified shifter handle mounted on the right hand side frame rail....1 forward, 4 back, if I remember the gear shifter.
OMG! could that thing run like a bat out of h*ll!!!! :burn:
He raced a neighborhood friend who had a 1984 Mustang 5.0 and wasted him!
(this was on a straight back street, LATE at night)
That go kart was wicked fast for about 5 minutes, then it would start to overheat because it was air cooled and it was mounted behind the driver/seat....hence the CB360 got very little clean air flow.

Ahhhh, the good old days of irresponsible youth!