PDA

View Full Version : Ford Five Hundred - FreeStyle Info?

ctrcbob
07-23-2005, 10:06 AM
A while back, someone on this site said that they purchased a Ford FiveHundred (for the wife?? :rolleyes: ) and I'd like some information as my Sister wants to buy one.

To anyone that has one; any problems? Which transmission do you have? My sister wants the 2 wheel drive, not the 4 wheel drive.

To Roy, or any other Techs out there; Because this car is offered with either the 6 speed automatic or the CVT, I'd like to know if either of these transmissions have problems. Which way should she go when looking at a transmission for this car?

BTW, this is Ford Five-Hundred or Freestyle (not Freestar).

Thanks in advance.

huot5
07-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I may have written it here. I leased a Freestyle for the wife ( and kids) ; it's loaded. AWD with the CVT. DVD for the kids; 3 rows but with the 2nd row and center console. it feels alot like a 2000 Passat the wife drove before. I think the 500 will prolly feel the same interiorwise.lease or finance, get the price down to invoice or better. Never pay retail.

good luck

ctrcbob
07-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Huot5,

Well I got a call from my sister and brother-in-law tonight. She went and did it. Got a FreeStyle SEL AWD. I told her that I thought she was looking for a FWD, and she said "Well, it was there and they knocked a lot of money off the price".
When she told me what she purchased, I told her what you said about your rental. :)

Thanks again,

huot5
07-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Always glad to help. *********s and opinions, evrybody's got them.:)

MENINBLK
07-23-2005, 11:39 PM
My wife is now driving a leased Focus ZTW fully loaded.
Her next car is going to be a FreeStyle Limited AWD, when the lease ends
in Feb 2006, but we are waiting for the 2006 models to come out.
There isn't anythign wrong with the 2005 models that I know of,
but there is a promise of a 3.5L Duratec V6, that is supposed
to be a little more healthier than the 3.0L currently available.

And I'm glad she chose the FreeStyle. I test drove a FreeStyle Limited AWD.
It came with the 3.0L Duratec V6 and the CVT AWD system used in the Volvo S80.
To my surprise it wasn't a bad ride at all.
It came with 18" wheels and Pirellis all around.
The only thing I noticed, is that the CVT doesn't like full throttle starts.
It will downshift very quickly,and wind out the engine pretty quickly as well.
It works best with a spirited start, not more than 1/2 pedal.
It will grab whatever torque is available and hold on to it tightly.
The only REAL shift you feel is when the Torque converter locks up.
Otherwise, the FreeStyle is a very nice riding vehicle, being a Station Wagon/SUV hybrid.
We like the idea that all of the seats, including the front passenger,
will fold down FLAT.

Now the 500 is built on the same Platform/Chassis, and the 2WD/FWD has the 6 speed automatic
while the AWD has the same system as the FreeStyle does.
But from what I've read, the 500 is a dog compared to the FreeStyle.
I didn't take the opportunity to test a 500 but my salesperson confirmed for me
that between both vehicles, the 500 was heavier than the FreeStyle but he didn't tell me by how much.
Knowing that it was heavier was all I needed to know.

Oh !!!
Tell her that there is an accessory for ANY BLUETOOTH ENABLED CELLULAR PHONES.
It doesn't matter which carrier the phone is used for, it just has to have BLUETOOTH.
Once the accessory is installed, you can link it to your cellular phone
and every time you get into the car and start it, it will automatically link to the phone
and allow you to answer the phone with a touch of a button, and use the radio to talk handsfree.
The phone can STAY in her pocketbook!! It's the coolest thing going for the car.
It may also be a dealer only installed accessory.

Eric91Z
07-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I have posted on her about getting the wife the Ford Five Hundred back in March. Still happy with the car and have just under 5000 miles on it. So far has been everything we wanted except for the part of the passenger side rear door came off (will be replaced under warranty, but of course had to be ordered) and a couple of likee creaks/rattles in the interior. Then again, we also have the SE which is the base model. Those items, and the lack of power, are the only complaints.

Oh, wait, one more thing. The 6 speed auto has some funky shift characteristics that we will have looked and possibly have the PCM reporgrammed under a TSB that is out. Those that have had the reporgram done do state that the car seems to not only shift better, but run faster as well.

Again, good website on the 500, Montego, FreeStyle, and probably Fushion when they come out:

www.myford500.com

I do wish our car had the upcoming 3.5L, especially since Jerry is working with Ford on a SC!!! (Then again, the wife just wants to drive this car for now and get back in to a SUV again...)