PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know anything about marine props

Skiordie53
07-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Well messed up tonight, hit some shallows in the cove water skiing. anyone know anythign about marine proppelors i need to replace the prop now, 86 sea ray 23' cuddy 5.0L Mercrusier 4bbl with Alpha 1 Drive. please give me some advice, need to do this as cheap as possible now im digging into the marauder tunning fund.

Murader03
07-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Been a long time since I had my SeaRay.....Hum those were the times!

Anyway, if it's only the prop, it shouldn't be that expensive. It appears that you use the boat for mostly skiing, so I'd shoot for a pitch that would allow you more power from the start. You'll loose some speed on the top end, but will put the boat on plane quicker and pull the skier up faster.

Back when I had my 18' I/O 302, I changed from a high pitch prop to a lower pitch cause it took to long to pull my big arse outta the water. With another couple in the boat, it was a lot easier pulling up two skiers too. The boat would only run about 40-45 wide open, but for me that was too fast for skiing anyway.

martyo
07-26-2005, 04:16 AM
Unless you were experiencing speed or acceleration related issues, stick with what was recommended by teh factory. Also, if you have a habit of running into stuff, stay with an aluminum wheel (as compared to a stainless wheel -- which I prefer, but which are more expensive and tend to be unforgiving) as they will get beat up for sure, but are sacrficied to save teh lower drive components.

Try this place for good prices (they may have some refurbished units):http://www.boat-props.com/finder.cgi

Oh, and do not run with a dinged prop, you will eat up that Alpha I for sure!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Skiordie53
07-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Thank g-d it's not a habit of running into stuff, more liek stupidity of skiing on the outgoing tide. Thanks so far for your help guys. can a prop be changed in the water, if i pull upto the beach ro soemthin or am i lookin at a short haul bill too?

martyo
07-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Thank g-d it's not a habit of running into stuff, more like stupidity of skiing on the outgoing tide. Thanks so far for your help guys. can a prop be changed in the water, if i pull upto the beach ro soemthin or am i lookin at a short haul bill too?

Kick the drive to the full up/tilt position, get yourself a floating prop wrench and have at it. Have some marine grade grease handy when you do the swap.

Skiordie53
07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Good news went down to my marine mechanics today, and he said he has a bunch of merc probs comming in tommorow and to swing the boat by he will change it while i wait he will match up the current one to the same and he wont charge me install while i wait. Guess they owe me one for keeping the boat for 6 weeks on soem warrenty work. said he will charge me about $130.00 for a genuine mercruiser prop does this soudn right?

martyo
07-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Said he will charge me about $130.00 for a genuine mercruiser prop does this soudn right?

That will be for an aluminum wheel, but that is the right price.

Skiordie53
07-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah any real advantages or disadvantages besides longitivity between an SS prop and an alum wheel

martyo
07-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah any real advantages or disadvantages besides longitivity between an SS prop and an alum wheel

Stainless wheels weigh more and can take a bit longer to spool up, so some folks drop an inch or so of pitch when going from aluminum to stainless. On the other hand stainless wheels will flex a lot less and will bite harder when coming out of the hole or if you launch hard (such as in water skiing). For the same reason a stainless wheel will give you better top end because they get the power transmitted better due to less blade flex/flattening.

The problem with stainless wheels is that they are harder on drive components when you hit something.

Got it?

Oh yeah, I love Sea Rays!

Skiordie53
07-26-2005, 07:38 PM
yeah my old celebrity had a ss prop on it but had an omc drive on it. this boat came witht he alum wheel. think im gonna stick with alum for now though give me more money to spend on the Marauder.

The Sea Ray is my Water Crusier, The Marauder is my Land Yacht. Love having 2 boats. just wish the sea ray was closer in age to the marauder although from what i hear these odler ones are real tough.

martyo
07-26-2005, 07:44 PM
From what i hear these odler ones are real tough.

Those boats rock (in a good sort of way)!

Butch
07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Here is what I use on my boats:
http://www.piranha.com/

It is a composite prop, that you can replace the individual blades on if you damage one. The replacement blades only cost about $10-$15 each, so it is a lot cheaper than a whole new prop, plus they have guarantee on the hub against breakage.

This isn't a sales pitch....Just telling you what I use. I have a pontoon boat that we take in shallow water a lot. It's nice to know that I can replace the blade if I need to. I also have a ski boat, and it works great for pulling someone up.