PDA

View Full Version : Amatuer Radio Operators

modular46
07-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Any hams in the group?

I just installed a Yaesu FT-8900 Quad Band Xcvr, control panel in the overhead console.

In case anyone's interested.

I'll show you at MVIII.

KB8TPX

blackf0rk
07-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't have my license, but I am a ham fan. Any pics of the install?

hitchhiker
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Just get the equipment and talk.

It is your first amendment right.

I can communicate on most frequencies.

Always listen awhile first.

Know and follow the rules and customs on
each band and avoid government channels.

Regards,

David

:D

modular46
07-27-2005, 03:50 AM

No pics yet, but I'll do some soon.

twolow
07-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Just get the equipment and talk.

It is your first amendment right.

I can communicate on most frequencies.

Always listen awhile first.

Know and follow the rules and customs on
each band and avoid government channels.

Regards,

David

I thought it was the HAM operators that were quick to turn someone in who didn't use their licensed call sign?

modular46
07-27-2005, 06:14 AM
I thought it was the HAM operators that were quick to turn someone in who didn't use their licensed call sign?

There are good citizens who will do just that should the situation arise. I don't think you'll find licensed operators giving out the previous advice. Some find it to be an entertaining experience tracking down pirates. Of course this thread may be headed in an unintended direction. I was simply was looking for discussion on communications, not so called first amendment politics. But you get what you get on a bulletin board, eh?

Mike Poore
07-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey Dave. I've run an HF kilowatt mobile in my last two Bronco's, but haven't figured where to put the antenna for the FT-100 in the MM. I may stick a 2M rig with Kulglas antenna for the trip to MMV lll. :)

PS. our bootlegigng frend has posted twice now, bragging about his activities, and I assure you, my neighbor Mr. Hollingsworth is aware. :mad2:

de: Mike, W3CAR and Barb, W3SVT

DEFYANT
07-27-2005, 08:45 AM
I plan on hooking up a "nicely performing" Cobra CB w/ (prolly) a K40 antenna. I want to get the Wilson but I have spent to gaddam much money on this car!

modular46
07-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I plan on hooking up a "nicely performing" Cobra CB w/ (prolly) a K40 antenna. I want to get the Wilson but I have spent to gaddam much money on this car!

I have a Wilson 1000, it was a lot cheaper than the quad band antenna!! I'm planning on a Cobra 75 (all on mic) and put both mics in the center console. It's too bad the antennas are so ugly.

twolow
07-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Oh how I remember the days...

The Cobra was always a good unit to modify with upper and lower channels, hi/lo power depending if a amp was being used, oh how I remember playing with them.

At my peak in CBing I had a RCI2950 modified with all the added freqs, desk mic that could pick up anything around such as my growling stomach or occassional fart, Antron 99 stuck in the top of a tree, and a amp that I have long since forgotten the name of. Those were the days when that was how us teenagers got ahold of each other around town before email and cell phones.

This was also around the same time period of the tube spitting incident :P

modular46
07-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey Dave. I've run an HF kilowatt mobile in my last two Bronco's, but haven't figured where to put the antenna for the FT-100 in the MM. I may stick a 2M rig with Kulglas antenna for the trip to MMV lll. :)

PS. our bootlegigng frend has posted twice now, bragging about his activities, and I assure you, my neighbor Mr. Hollingsworth is aware. :mad2:

de: Mike, W3CAR and Barb, W3SVT

FT-100 is a great radio (it's the antennas that ugly up the Marauder), 2M and associated antennas (kulglas is kool) are much easier installs.

Of course, I quite sure that the big black 4 door sedan with two trunk lip mounted whips has saved me a ticket or two!!

Merc-O-matic
07-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Running a Yaesu FT-8700 dual band...works great
also, FT2800M.

N3LOL :P

ctrcbob
07-27-2005, 10:19 AM
I guess most HAM's either don't want, or are not able to chase ditties anymore! :P Yes, I have a HAM friend who still chases ditties, and he is good, fast and used a bug. He is better with that bug than I ever was with a bug, but I can still put out the groups pritty good with a hand key. :burnout:

(from a former "Professional Operator" ;) )

Marauder
07-27-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm KB2S**

I'd rather not post my full call sign because it is too easy for people to get your info. Glad to PM it to you. :)

I use an Alinco DJ-580 Dual Band HT and a Motorola GM-300 for the car on 70cm.

Mike Poore
07-27-2005, 11:25 AM
FT-100 is a great radio (it's the antennas that ugly up the Marauder), 2M and associated antennas (kulglas is kool) are much easier installs.

Of course, I quite sure that the big black 4 door sedan with two trunk lip mounted whips has saved me a ticket or two!!You should have seen the 11ft Webster Bandspanner on my Bronco.:eek:

I ran a Kenwood TS690S and a Metron HF amp that drew 85 amps on 80 - 6M. We were very popular with the county hunters while traveling Northcentral PA, and on the YL SSB system, working as an OM/YL team.

Merc-O-matic
07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm KB2S**

I'd rather not post my full call sign because it is too easy for people to get your info. Glad to PM it to you. :)

I use an Alinco DJ-580 Dual Band HT and a Motorola GM-300 for the car on

70cm.

Hope you give your full call sign when you are on the air.

Gotta Love It!

AL N3LOL

modular46
07-27-2005, 01:19 PM
I just noticed I spelled amateur incorrectly. I should have just used ham. :D

Marauderjack
07-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Just run your transmatch to a wire connected to your MM frame and LOAD the car as a long wire to keep from defacing it with ugly low band antennas!!!! :beer: :banana:

I used to run LB in the car.....PITA.....2M....easier but computers and cell phones have taken all of that away from me!! :bows:

Marauderjack.....WA4QVS :)

Mike Poore
07-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I guess most HAM's either don't want, or are not able to chase ditties anymore! :P Yes, I have a HAM friend who still chases ditties, and he is good, fast and used a bug. He is better with that bug than I ever was with a bug, but I can still put out the groups pritty good with a hand key. :burnout:

(from a former "Professional Operator" ;) )If it was you chasing the dit"s, Bob, it was me at the daa's. da di da ... ;)

Mattsmerc
07-27-2005, 02:46 PM
now I have a couple of things for sale. D104 mics, freq counter, swr meter with power output. Any intrest? send me a PM.

Mattsmerc
07-28-2005, 04:34 PM
now I have a couple of things for sale. D104 mics, freq counter, swr meter with power output. Any intrest? send me a PM.any takers????:confused:

SergntMac
07-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Modern cell phone killed radio. Sad, but true.

KAE4549

Glenn
07-28-2005, 07:01 PM
KB8TPX:

More Hams on MM.net then I thought. I have been licensed for over 40 years.

Glenn, K3ZOT

modular46
07-28-2005, 07:08 PM
KB8TPX:

More Hams on MM.net then I thought. I have been licensed for over 40 years.

Glenn, K3ZOT

I'm surprised, too!

captJ696
07-28-2005, 08:04 PM
.........KLV5780 :rolleyes:

frdrckmarauder
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Any hams in the group?

I just installed a Yaesu FT-8900 Quad Band Xcvr, control panel in the overhead console.

In case anyone's interested.

I'll show you at MVIII.

KB8TPXYes, Glenn, N3NDG, Frederick, MD

Sactown
07-29-2005, 04:02 AM
I'm KB2S**

Ditto that! I'm KF6***

Rarely used VX-5R HT for local chat on repeater towers.

Mike Poore
07-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Yes, Glenn, N3NDG, Frederick, MD
Glen, are you going to Detroit? I don't think I've run into you on the Frederick repeater, at least don't remember the call. I'm a pal of Bernie's W3CAO..

DE: W3CAR :)

Mike Poore
07-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Modern cell phone killed radio. Sad, but true.

KAE4549
Perhaps, Mac, but I think the internet had a lot to do with it as well; but only the VHF/UHF repeaters seem unused. There's still a ton of activity on HF; with the nets going strong on 40 & 80M; but we're in the bottom of the cycle, and the last peak was a stinker anyway. We see some good openings on 10 & 15M once in a while, with some cool openings on 6M. I'm in the middle of putting the 70ft crank-up with 5 element Mosely 20M monobander back in the air, getting ready for the next cycle. Also took down the Mosely 54M/40M kit, for repairs. It was on 50ft of 25G. :woohoo:

modular46
07-29-2005, 01:54 PM
I would think cell phones would have had more to do with less CB usage. When I broached this subject before, for the Hot Rod Power Tour, most said, "my cell will do". Of 4000 cars last year, ther were only about 10 with CBs, but I'm sure most had cellular radios.

What a cell won't do, is allow monitoring of all the radio trafffic, only what's on the other end of the call.

I think the internet and cell phones and the new generations has more to do with waning interest in ham radio.

Why go to the trouble of obtaining a license, when all one needs do is jump on the internet?

This is sounding way too much like www.hamsexy.com :lol:

hitchhiker
07-29-2005, 04:25 PM
I would think cell phones would have had more to do with less CB usage. When I broached this subject before, for the Hot Rod Power Tour, most said, "my cell will do". Of 4000 cars last year, ther were only about 10 with CBs, but I'm sure most had cellular radios.

What a cell won't do, is allow monitoring of all the radio trafffic, only what's on the other end of the call.

I think the internet and cell phones and the new generations has more to do with waning interest in ham radio.

Why go to the trouble of obtaining a license, when all one needs do is jump on the internet?

This is sounding way too much like www.hamsexy.com (http://www.hamsexy.com/) :lol:I think the closed and restrictive nature of HAM radio has led to its demise.

I have talked all over the world on different bands
observing proper procedure and courtesy unless provoked.

If the HAMS out there insist on a call sign, I make one up.

I use one with five or six characters since only the very old or
very high classes of operators have four character call signs
anyway. Is is also a matter of respect for Hiram Percy Maxim (W1AW)
and others who gave our radio hobby a great beginning.

I have read the ARRL antenna and radio books cover to cover
several times and know the technology, procedures, and
conditions effecting transmission and reception.

There is a movement to open up all Operator classes to anyone
with the knowlege to operate a radio rig. This is great!

Radio is first amendment protected free speech.

The smug self-rightous personalities
of some HAMS are a definate turn-off.

Then it's time to go down on 11 meters (CB) and spray
them with bleed-over from six fat purple glowing tubes!

Numbers at ya from Earth Station Hitchhiker!

N40GL
07-31-2005, 06:52 PM
I've got a Kenwood TMD-700A in the car, with the control head mounted in the overhead console, and two speakers on the rear deck. The GPS unit driving it is the Trimble SVee-Eight, with the antenna under the CHMSL. All connected to an Antenex Dual-Band 2m/73cm trunk-lid mounted antenna.

I just added a Uniden Bearcat BC-796D to the pile, with a remote control head from Scannermaster. The control head is mounted left of the climate control on a Pro-Fit mount, driven by a Radiall-Larsen Kul-Glas antenna tuned to 800 MHz (full wave). I got the space on the Pro-Fit mount back when I migrated to a Bluetooth car kit, which connects to my cell phone wirelessly.

The 'radio drawer' in the trunk is a Havis-Shield radio tray that is about 1/3 the width of the trunk space, and fits in next to the full-size spare (and under the subwoofer) using all existing holes (except one that I had to drill). Also mounted on the tray is a Rigrunner fuse box for power distribution, and Antenex isolator to keep the ignition noise down.

All available for viewing at MVIII. Thank god for radios that I can program with my laptop!!

73s de N4OGL

LCSO34
07-31-2005, 09:01 PM
When we cross the pond we use HF to contact Ham ops to get a phone patch back to command post. I even called my wife while over Ireland to let her know I was so many hours away. The last trip I took we had a sat phone and didn't have to use HF for phone patch.