PDA

View Full Version : mold and tree debris on myImpala front to rear

Geo
07-28-2005, 02:51 PM
My SS was parked for the most part outside (and not under any trees) for quite a few months and yet still tree crap got on it. The tree crap doesn't bother me as much as the fact that there is mold and debris along the trim, under the wing edges, under the wheel well mouldings, under the trunk area inside and the cowl has a whole lot of dead bugs in it.

As I can't simply wash the car now, I figured I would need the attention of a detail shop. I went to the shop I am familiar with and my friend their said to simply take it to the touchless wash world (no not through the car wash) and use the Power Washers there and blast the stuff off from those hard to reach spots. He said for the cowl to open the hood and aim the power blaster UP as opposed to down so the dead bugs go out of the car instead of in. I heard that it can be hard to get rid of the spores like from the door mouldings for example.

Unfortunately the power washing didn't work. It worked to lift off some loose stuff but the debris is still stuck all over such places as rubber moldings, window moldings, taillight bezel areas, grille top, wheel well edges in the body of car, wing edges, etc

I need a fine intrument like a small round toothbrush to go at it each mm of the way while I soak in soap.

Any ideas?

MENINBLK
07-28-2005, 10:48 PM
You can get rid of mold with a weakened solution of vinegar and water.
Try 1:1 first in a hidden area to make sure it doesn't turn colors.
If it does, then try making it weaker until it works without damaging your finish.

For the tree sap stuck all over, use hot water and terry cloth towels.
The fine brush you are using will be best for hard to reach areas.
Tree Sap is sugar based, so once it has dried it will take some time
to melt it away.

Marauderjack
07-29-2005, 03:19 AM
Tree sap removal.....especially pine sap.....rubbing alcohol!!! :beer: It even removes old crispy rosin PRONTO with very little rubbing!! :banana2: :bows:

Afterwards...a bit of wax and GOOD AS NEW!! :D

Marauderjack :pimp:

blackf0rk
07-29-2005, 06:50 AM
I've been detailing cars for quite a long time. My neighbor has been a professional head detailer and we've been working together on custom detailing so what I'm about to tell you has some merit to it.

First off - NEVER ever use a terry cloth towel on your car. It will create more swirl marks in your finish than you can shake a stick at.

Second, to remove tree sap and other stuck on goodies: Wash the car thuroughly. Remove any large stuck on prticles with a sponge. A sponge with a bug net on it works great. Then USE CLAY. Apply clay lube liberally to 1' x 1' section and work the clay over the surface until it feels smooth. You will see the visible contaminents come off. Some take elboew grease and more passes - they will come off.

Wax all clayed areas.

Note: Usually when you buy clay it comes in a kit with clay lube. Using this lube is great, but if you run out you can also use any 'quick detailer' since they're the same, or soapy water.

ckadiddle
07-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Amusing Sidenote:
I once used Comet cleanser to remove heavy mildew, grime and tree droppings from a 1973 Gremlin. Worked great! Course, I wasn't worried much about the finish. It was purple, black and primer gray depending on which body panel you were looking at. And it had one orange wheel. :)

hdirish50
07-29-2005, 08:27 AM
A wet-nap, or an alcohol pad, like the ones you get at the restaurants should do the trick. I had some tree sap on my MM and a buddy, who is a detailer, used one to remove it from my car. The only problem is that it will also remove any wax that is on the car. Good luck

MarauderMarc
07-29-2005, 08:56 AM
First off - NEVER ever use a terry cloth towel on your car. It will create more swirl marks in your finish than you can shake a stick at.

So what do I use??? The labels and instructions all say to use them. Do I use a chamois??? I have something called "the absorber" which is like a synthetic chamois. Whats the best way to get rid of swirl marks???