PDA

View Full Version : 06 Impala SS

Shaft333
08-03-2005, 06:21 AM
http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_revamped_impala_set/index.htm

Here it comes!! Albeit FWD, it's a nice motor!
What surprises me is the price for the SS model.

duhtroll
08-03-2005, 07:12 AM
But even the SS will have that crappy "Displacement on Demand"

:rofl: :laugh:

And it's fugly. Looks like a standard econobox. AND it's FWD. AND it won't be faster than a MM with just programming, much less gears.

-A

blackf0rk
08-03-2005, 07:12 AM
All the guys at the NAIOA are totally dissappointed and disgusted with it's looks and FWD. They were all hoping for a RWD when they got wind of the V-8.

The only thing good about it is, as you mentioned, the price. $26K for an SS. That's the price for an LS last year :)

Rider90
08-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Over at the Impala SS Forums they are also disapointed with the new Impala SS. IMHO, GM should throw in the towel and just call it the new Lumina GT or something. This car is undeserving of such a name.

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f =8;t=015211

ROB502
08-03-2005, 07:24 AM
GM is just now getting it. Cadillac is finally going back to rear wheel drive because they are losing to Lincolin.

It will take Chevy longer to learn their mistake(wrong wheel drive).

I was a GM man for 25 years ASE tech working for a Pontiac-GMC dealer and when they went astray following Toyota's idea FWD. I left the fold and went to Ford per Mercury Grand Marquis and now Marauder looking for a replacement for the SS Impala and have never been happier.

Life sux being pulled around by your feet, front wheel drive. I love that punch in your back that you only get from, Right Wheel Drive.

Rear Wheel Drive is an AMERICAN thing.... :cool4:

Shaft333
08-03-2005, 07:29 AM
What makes you say it won't be faster?

And it's fugly. Looks like a standard econobox. AND it's FWD. AND it won't be faster than a MM with just programming, much less gears.

prchrman
08-03-2005, 07:41 AM
2006 ImpSS :puke:...94-96 ImpSS :rock: :rock:...how could they disgrace the 94-96 SS with that large ricer wanta be...it should run good and maybe faster than our MM stock but that does not complete the package alone...willie

merc
08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
It just gives us one more vehicle to post about when it comes to kills. Getting really tired of chewing on Chrysler vitamin C products these days. Need more GM's in my diet. :lol:

duhtroll
08-03-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm basing this on the given 0-60 time.

-A

What makes you say it won't be faster?

bigslim
08-03-2005, 09:10 AM
But even the SS will have that crappy "Displacement on Demand"

:rofl: :laugh:

-A
Out of the box it runs 14.1 in the 1/4. That is faster than most MM's with a chip and 410's.

ADE 1000
08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Cadillac is finally going back to rear wheel drive because they are losing to Lincolin.

Cadillac is losing to Lincoln? Since when? As far as I can tell, Lincoln barely exists.

MENINBLK
08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
With 303 HP and a LIGHTER vehicle to drag around
it SHOULD be faster than a Marauder, wouldn't you think ???
This is a stinking UNIBODY constructed GM rattle box with a small block V8.

GM Has disgraced the Impala name just like Chrysler disgraced the Charger name...

At least Ford KNOWS where most of its nameplates belong,
if they don't know anything else...

RF Overlord
08-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Ron Dershem, assistant vehicle chief engineer, says this SS is the fastest Impala ever built.

“We're sure this car will go 140 mph (225 km/h),” he says.

So? Why is top speed always so damned important in car reviews? Where the f--- can you drive 140 MPH?! I don't care if the fool car is capable of going 240 MPH...what benefit does this capability have in real life? (other than for a police car...)

/rant

Big House
08-03-2005, 09:42 AM
IMO , it is not about beating the next car...It is a front wheel drive V8, it looks like everything else, and did I mention it was front wheel drive. We drive one of the meanest looking hottest running beasts on the street. I think that counts a little more than a 1/4 mile time.

Big House

merc
08-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Out of the box it runs 14.1 in the 1/4. That is faster than most MM's with a chip and 410's.

I hope you are not getting those numbers from CAR and Driver Mag. :beer:

maraudernkc
08-03-2005, 10:01 AM
After looking at that Impala the value of our Marauder's just went up.

Shaft333
08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
The comments have been interesting so far. :D

I have had the opportunity to drive one.

Slim, Have you seen some of these at the strip? I understand that there have a been a few sightings of these over the past couple years, albeit disguised a tad. One of my Detroit friends described it as a "some GM executive driving an 03 Impala with a Northstar stuffed into it."

prchrman
08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Some of the Impala guys have been waiting on something to come out to update too and no use up their 94-96SS...most say they are still waiting...GTO and now 2006SS Imp!...GM is not on board with what gets an enthusists heart beating a little faster...I notice when people see something they like they sit or stand up straight and heads turn to allow their eyes to follow the object of their liking, to the point of having a accident...like when they see my MM...no one I mean no one is going to make any kind of a move to take a second look at that over sized Mazyota...a regular 2005ish Imp makes a nice comfortable A to B vehicle but in no stretch of the imagination with stripes, wheels, badges, bells or whistles will it every have an even a hint of anything but a grocery getting mini van replacement...willie

Blackened300a
08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
I seen the New Impala SS at the Car Show in April. Its a larger version of the Chevy Cobalt, Even the Tail lights look alike! The 5.3 is a great engine and Im guessing that they can get more of the power to the wheels with FWD. I think they dropped the ball when it comes to the design! Either That or Chevy has it in for the 94-96 Impala SS owners!

Fourth Horseman
08-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I want to test drive one just to see. The looks don't kill it for me, though it is pretty plain. It's the FWD that I don't like. :down: Still, if the test drive goes better than I expect I might consider one for a second car. I just need to see it in person and drive it first. On a positive note the interior looks nice.

CBT
08-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Nice Camry. I mean Impala.

duhtroll
08-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Which is exactly what I meant. Magazine times have been proven, time and again, to be pure bull honkus.

-A

I hope you are not getting those numbers from CAR and Driver Mag. :beer:

MENINBLK
08-03-2005, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=RF Overlord ...what benefit does this capability have in real life? (other than for a police car...) [/QUOTE]

This has no benefit as a police car either...
After you weigh down the vehicle with all of the equipment and gear that a Police Officer has to carry,
the vehicle will not do any speed anywhere near what the manufacturer claims.

Many LEOs here in Westchester County complain when their Expeditions
won't go over 80mph when fully loaded with gear !!!

jgc61sr2002
08-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Cadillac is losing to Lincoln? Since when? As far as I can tell, Lincoln barely exists.

You should come to NYC . 75 percent of all livery cabs are Lincoln Town Cars.

ctrcbob
08-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I just don't understand so many of you guys (not all) that knock FWD cars. I've had both FWD and RWD. No problems. The only thing I don't like about the new Impala SS is that it has a Pushrod Engine, (at least when they say it has a "Small Block V8", I think that it is a Pushrod Engine). I love DOHC engines because they love to spin high RPM's. All cars are a trade of things you like and things you don't like. I love the MM DOHC engine, but I hate the Live Rear Axle. Even my RWD 94 T-Bird had IRS. My MM is the first car I've had in over 20 years with a Live Rear Axle. My 02 Continental (FWD, InTech V8 which is only 26 HP less than my MM) is no slouch. I can set the suspension for Plush/Normal/Firm and with it on Firm, I can get from Point-A to Point-B just as fast as my MM.
The first FWD that I ever drove was an "Auto-Union" (later purchased by VW and renamed AUDI). It was a blast to drive. (I.E., a drivers car). As I was told back then, with a FWD, no matter which way the front wheels are pointed, they are pulling forward.

Your (our) RWD MM is not the best thing since sliced bread. Reminds me of a friend of mine who has an 04 Cobra (SVT), who always has to have the fastest thing going. Whenever he trades from one fast car (97 Mustang GT, 99 Cobra SVT, 03 Cobra SVT just since I've known him) to another, he always talks about how great his latest car is, and always tells me all the bad things about the car he just sold/traded. As soon as Ford brings out their new Cobra, I know he will tell me all the bad things about his 04.

Back to subject. Some people love FWD, some love RWD, but you don't have to knock the other. I like both. :beer:

Vortex
08-03-2005, 03:37 PM
I feel sorry for all the Chevy fans out there, this is yet another ill-handling FWD. I dont care how fast it is in the 1/4, try stepping on the gas to accelerate out of a turn and watch the steering wheel spin in your hands as the car heads for the trees. I know because I drive an 05 Impala (Police) car and for routine driving its just fine but I would not like to be chasing too many folks in it. I always thought that was the best thing about the MM was the high speed handling for a large car.

CRUZTAKER
08-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Ron Dershem, assistant vehicle chief engineer, says this SS is the fastest Impala ever built.

“We're sure this car will go 140 mph (225 km/h),” he says.

So? Why is top speed always so damned important in car reviews? I hear ya!!!!

Mine does 142 in 3rd gear with a 4:10 gear. Ewwww....I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even RENT that car....I'm surprised I attached it's thumbnail.

Big House
08-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Two words:

TORQUE STEER !!!

Petrograde
08-03-2005, 04:52 PM
a RWD V8 Impala?... Is nothing sacred?

ADE 1000
08-03-2005, 05:24 PM
You should come to NYC . 75 percent of all livery cabs are Lincoln Town Cars.

Exactly. And that is not necessarily a good thing. I find this rather depressing as I have always been a Lincoln fan. They really need some new product, aside from a glorified pick up.

As for the FWD vs RWD thing, there is no contest. I can't think of one performance benefit. I have owned and driven several powerful front wheel drive cars over the years from turbo Saabs/Volvos to Continentals to the older gen Northstar Cadillacs. In all cases, torque steer spoiled what was otherwise a good car. The only FWD car that had this under control was my '97 V-8 SHO, but it had very little torque to begin with.

Despite my hatred for the feel of FWD cars, decent drag strip performance can still be had. There was a stock Grand Prix GXP (same 5.3L as new Impala) at the track this past weekend that was running mid 14s in 90+ degree heat. A well modded GTP that ran 12s and a 2000 Bonneville SSEi that ran an amazing 11.6. The Bonneville must have had a fairly large nuclear reactor under the hood.

BillyGman
08-03-2005, 11:00 PM
The 5.3 is a great engine and Im guessing that they can get more of the power to the wheels with FWD. Guess again my friend.........have you ever raced anyone with a wrong-wheel-drive car which had atleast some halfway decent low-end torque? The weight transfer to the back of the car lifts the weight off of the front wheels, and results in wheelspin all over the place. Now that my S/Ced Marauder is getting to be very well known around the area where I live, I've had a number of ricers say they want to race me, but one thing that all of them always say....."...but I don't want to race you from a dead stop. I want to race you from a 40 MPH roll" :rolleyes: And that's because when they invest all of their money in these warmed over 2,800 LB economy cars to get them to pump out over 300 HP, they cannot hook-up off the line.

FWD is for driving in the snow just like ricer mobiles are economy cars. Neither one is for hi-perf muscle, nor for drag racing.

Blackened300a
08-04-2005, 03:41 AM
When I said Power to the Front Wheels, I didn't Mean Traction, I meant there is less Driveline from the Flywheel to the Wheels

BillyGman
08-04-2005, 06:16 AM
When I said Power to the Front Wheels, I didn't Mean Traction, I meant there is less Driveline from the Flywheel to the WheelsHmmm, okay, I see what you mean. Either way though, the power would still be lost coming off the line with wheelspin.;)

Shaft333
08-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Hmmm, okay, I see what you mean. Either way though, the power would still be lost coming off the line with wheelspin.;)
And spinning the tires it does with great ease. :D

Breadfan
08-04-2005, 08:35 AM
A few comments as to why I feel this is a bad idea being a FWD car...

1.) Can GM actually produce a transaxle that can withstand the torque of a pushrod V8? Even if they can, how mcuh can it take once people start doing all the small block add-ons? I forsee major transmission trouble especially on the modded cars.

2.) Will they be putting an LSD in their transaxle diff?

3.) With a V8 shoved under that hood and a beefy transaxle there will not be room to properly engineer the halfshafts. That means they'll probably be different lengths which = major torque steer.

GM has proven they refuse to learn. They tried the FWD platforms in the 90's. Ruined Cadillac in the process. Now Caddy is coming back thanks to RWD/AWD platforms. Also look at today's market, there is a big rush back to RWD performance sedans. Chrysler has 3, 300C, Magnum and the Charger. Ford, well, Ford...atleast they still have the Crown Vic I guess.

GM had a chance to make the new Impala something to compete with Chryslers new lineup. The Malibu can fight the Camry/Accord. (Well ok it can try...atleast that's a Saab underneath.)

I try to like GM but stuff like this makes me wonder who's holding the wheel...

Joe Walsh
08-04-2005, 04:34 PM
It just gives us one more vehicle to post about when it comes to kills. Getting really tired of chewing on Chrysler vitamin C products these days. Need more GM's in my diet. :lol:

LOL!!! :rofl:

I didn't know that there was a Vitamin 'SS'....?!

P.S. WTF!!! Is that a BIG Honda Accord???? :puke: :puke: :puke:
That *****box makes the GTO look exciting!

Ezbok58a
08-04-2005, 08:16 PM
The new Impala is fugly,
While it has power, it can't distribute it.

And whats with this sacralige of names BS!??!

"Charger should be a 2 door" I keep hearing.

If you say the new Charger should not be called a charger because it has 4 doors, and you drive a Marauder....

You are a hypocrite.

Marauder was a large 2 door car
Impala was a Large 2 door car
Charger was a LARGE 2 door car.

All these cars were luxury cars with power to back it up.
A Large 2 door today would not work as well as a 4 door version.

The Only company making Fairly large 2 doors successfully is Mercedes and they are being out sold by the 4 door counter-parts

You want Name Sacralige! You are driving one! A Stock Marauder ain't a big power house. Hell what does it run stock 15.3! I run a 15.7 on the same platform for less money, only without a 32v premium gas V8.

Ok I'm done
rant off:)

BillyGman
08-05-2005, 12:11 AM
If you say the new Charger should not be called a charger because it has 4 doors, and you drive a Marauder....

You are a hypocrite.

Woe, woe.......down boy down........

take a deep breath, and relax......I mean "hypoctrite" is a rather strong word to use, don't you think? But hey, I never thought a stock Marauder is a Lightning bolt either. Which is why I've modified mine. And when it comes to hi-perf modifications, that's when the Crown Vic and the Marauder are worlds apart, because our 32V engines respond considerably better to modifications than your 16v engine does.

RCSignals
08-05-2005, 01:09 AM
And spinning the tires it does with great ease. :D

whoopee :banana2:

So did my 1976 honda civic :banana:

RCSignals
08-05-2005, 01:13 AM
You want Name Sacralige! You are driving one! A Stock Marauder ain't a big power house. Hell what does it run stock 15.3! I run a 15.7 on the same platform for less money, only without a 32v premium gas V8.

Oh another proud Crown Vic owner

:shake:

the_pack_rat
08-05-2005, 01:14 AM
To think there was a time a FWD car wasn't thought of as such a bad thing.

DISCLAIMER :

This shall NOT be construed as a defense of GM's FWD Impala in any shape or form.

RCSignals
08-05-2005, 01:15 AM
The Only company making Fairly large 2 doors successfully is Mercedes and they are being out sold by the 4 door counter-parts

Who builds the Charger?

duhtroll
08-05-2005, 05:33 AM
I see what you're getting at RC, but I thought they were called "Daimler Benz" now.

:laugh:

-A

Shaft333
08-05-2005, 05:45 AM
A few comments as to why I feel this is a bad idea being a FWD car...

1.) Can GM actually produce a transaxle that can withstand the torque of a pushrod V8?

2.) Will they be putting an LSD in their transaxle diff?

3.) That means they'll probably be different lengths which = major torque steer.

GM has proven they refuse to learn. They tried the FWD platforms in the 90's. Ruined Cadillac in the process. Now Caddy is coming back thanks to RWD/AWD platforms. Also look at today's market, there is a big rush back to RWD performance sedans. Chrysler has 3, 300C, Magnum and the Charger. Ford, well, Ford...atleast they still have the Crown Vic I guess.

GM had a chance to make the new Impala something to compete with Chryslers new lineup. The Malibu can fight the Camry/Accord. (Well ok it can try...atleast that's a Saab underneath.)

I try to like GM but stuff like this makes me wonder who's holding the wheel...
1. I've felt that trannies and motors are the things that GM does right. It's their bodies (bland) and interiors that have always come short. Time will tell how this platform holds out. The configuration is nothing new for GM. They've done it with 500's (albeit mounted longitudedly).

2. Yeah. This is not a one wheel wonder. Which, honestly, I don't think it could be done any other way.

3. My time behind the wheel was short and I was just trying to see if it'd out accelerate my Marauder.

--. This is so true, RWD is coming back. And more AWD being offered as well. I think GM made a big mistake dropping the new RWD platform. I'm not sure if it was all FWD that killed Caddy... as much as it was old-man stigma, builds/styling/trim that was hardly an upgrade from a Buick, quality that wasn't world class and a surge of interest in the Japanese luxo offerings. Add all that up, buyers probably never even gave them a chance to see what wheels were connected to the motor. Youth (or at least younger than the nursing home set) often wants an image of their own. The big success in Cadillac as of late is the Escalade. And that interest is because it defines excess, not because of it's motivation.

Ezbok58a
08-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Woe, woe.......down boy down........

take a deep breath, and relax......I mean "hypoctrite" is a rather strong word to use, don't you think? But hey, I never thought a stock Marauder is a Lightning bolt either. Which is why I've modified mine. And when it comes to hi-perf modifications, that's when the Crown Vic and the Marauder are worlds apart, because our 32V engines respond considerably better to modifications than your 16v engine does.
Well I did get a rant going, its hard to stop:o
Proud Cv owner yes, I don't plan on bashing the marauder as it and my car are basically the same sans the 32v.
I just don't like hearing that a charger should have been a 2 door when if you look at history, All modern High Performance Sedans started life as High performance Luxury 2 doors.

Thats the Impala SS, The Mercury Marauder, Dodge Charger, hell the First Crown Victoria was a 2 door, (yes the police had 4 doors)

Its a sign of the times, Large 2 door cars really wouldn't do as well as they would if they were 4 doors.

Thats why Mercedes has a 2 door and a 4 door version. That and a large 2 door seems like something you would get if you were going through a mid life crisis.

BillyGman
08-06-2005, 02:20 PM
As far as the CV and Marauder comparisant, sure they're both the same basic design (the "Panther" platform) just as the Mustang and Cobra are the same basic design, but it's been my understanding that in addition to having different cylinder heads (32v) and different pistons (Hyperuetectic), the Marauder also has different suspension than the CV does. Ofcourse then there's also the 18" wheels that the CV doesn't have. So to say the CV is the same as the Marauder, is like saying that the Mustang is the same as the pre 2003 Cobra, and is like the 1964-70 GTO was the same as the 64-70 LeMans was.

And as far as the 4door vs. 2 door thing, I think that the big 2 door cars of old looked waaaaay better than the modern day 4 door cars do, but most of the body styles we have now wouldn't even look right with 2 doors anyway. Things are just very different now than they used to be in the way of cars.

sailsmen
08-06-2005, 02:26 PM
It is a well packaged car, lots of room.

But it lacks the most important feature in a car, it has no soul! It instills no passion!

It is a "bean counters wet dream!" :bows:

RCSignals
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
As far as the CV and Marauder comparisant, sure they're both the same basic design (the "Panther" platform) just as the Mustang and Cobra are the same basic design, but it's been my understanding that in addition to having different cylinder heads (32v) and different pistons (Hyperuetectic), the Marauder also has different suspension than the CV does. Ofcourse then there's also the 18" wheels that the CV doesn't have. So to say the CV is the same as the Marauder, is like saying that the Mustang is the same as the pre 2003 Cobra, and is like the 1964-70 GTO was the same as the 64-70 LeMans was.

And as far as the 4door vs. 2 door thing, I think that the big 2 door cars of old looked waaaaay better than the modern day 4 door cars do, but most of the body styles we have now wouldn't even look right with 2 doors anyway. Things are just very different now than they used to be in the way of cars.

Yes, you get it Billy. Other than body sheet metal and few other bits and bobs, the Cv and Marauder are not at all the same. That's not to knock the CV, I own one of those as well, but to claim other than the 32v there is no difference is akin to saying there is no difference between Dark Chocolate and Milk Chocolate, other than the milk.

Remember the Marauder convert concept? Mercury had the chance to build on those quarter panels to develop a tudor or a tudor hard top. They would have been popular, and not just a midlife crisis!
I know people who didn't buy a Marauder because of that convertible concept, and the belief that it would be built!