PDA

View Full Version : Going for a test drive

Eric91Z
08-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Well, going to test drive an '03 Marauder sometime Friday or Saturday. Local Ford dealer has an '03 with 24,000 miles on it. I have stopped by and looked at it already and it is a 300A - black, of course, with the charcoal interior. Looks pretty decent. And they have already done a 6 year/75,000 mile extended warranty. Would want to see if that could go to 100,000 miles if we could fit the car in the budget.

The wife gets back home on Monday from Hawaii where she has been with the 2 kids visiting my mom and Grandma. Hoping for some good news about Grandma getting her home sold. Not only to have her back here in Iowa, but also for some gift money that is going towards a new car... :woohoo:

RoyLPita
08-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Keep us posted.

jgc61sr2002
08-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Good luck with your purchase. :D You won't be sorry. :D

ckadiddle
08-04-2005, 07:45 AM
WARNING:If you drive it, you'll have to buy it. I just went for an innocent little test drive. Try reciting this prayer:

Our Ford,
Who art at the Dealership,
Lincon-Mercury be the Name.
Thine tread will burn,
for supercharger thee will yearn,
For Trilogy and Reinhart Heaven.
Leadeth us not into financial temptation.
Encourage us not into high-speed passes.
For Mine is that Marauder.
It shines with Power and Glory,
Forever.
Amen.

Bluerauder
08-04-2005, 08:08 AM
WARNING:If you drive it, you'll have to buy it. I just went for an innocent little test drive.

So true ^^^^^. :D I resisted the urge to take a test drive for almost 12 months 'cause I knew that one turn behind the wheel would be the clincher. :rolleyes:

ckadiddle
08-04-2005, 08:08 AM
I definitely have been hanging around here waaay too much. ;)

blackf0rk
08-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Our Ford,
Thine tread will burn,
Forever.
Amen.LOL, that's borderline blasphemous :P :shake: But not exactly.. :cool4:

Eric91Z
08-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Problem is, I have already been on 2 test drives. First was the fall of 2003 in a 2003. Was very cold and car had a bad battery and heat wasn't working. But still liked the car. Then last fall I got a 3 day weekend test drive of a 2004. The salesman said to take it home and try to sell the wife since she makes the budget decisions.

Absolutely loved that car and could see myself driving one every day. Ever since then I have been waiting for when it would work to pick one up. We keep getting closer and closer, but I am trying to be patient. This is the first low mileage used example for a decent price that has been close. Figure mine as well go for a test drive and see what the wife says when she gets back in town.

I am already in love with them and spend more than my share of time posting here (and other car sites) just waiting until I finally get to replace my high mileage and small Honda Accord with something bigger and better. Just keep waiting for a couple things to come threw for the "new" car to work out - finally.

Fourth Horseman
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
WARNING:If you drive it, you'll have to buy it. I just went for an innocent little test drive. Try reciting this prayer:

Our Ford,
Thine tread will burn,
Forever.
Amen.

Amen. :lol:

Eric91Z
08-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Well, ended up taking a couple hours off from work this afternoon and test drove it today. Seems to be a pretty well taken care of car. Interior was a little dirty, but nothing a little cleaning time wouldn't take car of. As far as I could tell, no issues with the car: no dents, dings, scratches, torn leather, etc. The front emblem has some rock chipping on it, but nothing much else on the front end.

Again, this is a 2003 300A car. I thought the seats were much more comfortable and easier to get positioned than the '04 I had for 3 days. Could be they were a little more worn in with 20,000 more miles on them than the '04. But I also thought this car seemed to run better than that '04 did. Defnitely felt stronger.

They weren't wanting to budge much on the price. It would be about $24,000 with tax, title, and license. I have seen others for less, but this is close to home (save the cost of traveling and would support local dealer). Car has 24,000 miles and is Ford Certified with a 6 year/75,000 mile powertrain warranty - along with what is left of the regular factory warranty. And he said there would be an option for an extended Ford wrap warranty (basically extension of the factory bumper-to-bumper) that would be available up to 100,000 miles for an extra charge. But that would be less than normal extended warranties since it is a Certified car. It is a local, one owner car that was traded in on at a Chevy Dealership that this Ford Dealership trades with.

Being an '03 300A, it is missing a couple things I would like, but could probably live without just fine: traction control, heated seats, and sunroof. It does have the CD changer and trunk organizer and no spoiler. It also has tinted windows already - probably about a 20% tint and they seem to be in decent shape. One problem with the car is they just put new BFG tires on it, but they put the 235's at all 4 corners. Mentioned this to the sales manager (who I was working with) and he did not know about they were supposed to be different. Would definitely want to see about getting the correct tires on the back. At least without the TC it does not cause any problems when driving. And the sales manger has been driving it the last couple weeks since they got it and really enjoyed it.

Absolutely loved it and definitely the car I want. Now I just need to figure out a way to fit it in the budget now instead of later and get the wife to go along with it.

He said it had a clear CarFax. I thought someone on here could run Oasis reports. Wondering if you could check this one:

2MEHM75V53X639693

Thanks,

Mike Poore
08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Problem is, ...for the "new" car to work out - finally.
I LOVE it, when a plan comes together. Good for you, the Marauder is truely a wonderful car. :cheer:

Eric91Z
08-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I LOVE it, when a plan comes together. Good for you, the Marauder is truely a wonderful car. :cheer:

Oh, it hasn't all come together just yet. But definitely getting closer. Going to look at the financial options right now and go from there. I would hope to get one with enough time left in the year to put together a winter wheel/tire package for the car to be ready for Iowa winters - yes, the car will get driven year round. I will play catch up with anyone for the high mileage award. But I am going to enjoy every minute of it once I get one.

I just figure keep the drivetrain and body in good working order and once the motor gets over 100,000 miles ship the car to Dennis and have him work his magic.

RoyLPita
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I'll PM you with the report on saturday. I hope that you do not mind the delay.

Eric91Z
08-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I'll PM you with the report on saturday. I hope that you do not mind the delay.

That is just fine. No hurry since the wife doesn't get back in town until Monday anyway. I do appreciate it.

seans
08-05-2005, 05:22 AM
$24000 sounds like an awful lot to pay for a 2003 especially one with average mileage. I would sell my 2004 with 20,000 miles for $25 or $26,000 if I was looking to sell it. It would be cheaper to buy one some where else and then have it shipped to you. Others on this site have done this. Just my two cents. Good luck with what ever you decide,You'll absolutely love the car.

Eric91Z
08-05-2005, 05:33 AM
$24000 sounds like an awful lot to pay for a 2003 especially one with average mileage. I would sell my 2004 with 20,000 miles for $25 or $26,000 if I was looking to sell it. It would be cheaper to buy one some where else and then have it shipped to you. Others on this site have done this. Just my two cents. Good luck with what ever you decide,You'll absolutely love the car.

I kind of thought it was borderline on the highside. I have seen a number of '03 with similiar mileage closer to $20,000 and less. The sticker is $22,500 and the $24,000 is with tax, title, and license. If I bought one out of state, I either have shipping costs and still have to pay tax, title, and license when I get it here or pay for a plane ticket to go pick it up, gas to drive home, and still pay T/T/L. I was thinking for it to be worth it to buy somewhere else it would have to be priced at $20,000 or below - and then there is the part of it being Certified and have the option for extended warranty - which is important to me.

Guess we will just have to see what happens come next week.

ckadiddle
08-05-2005, 07:25 AM
I kind of thought it was borderline on the highside. I have seen a number of '03 with similiar mileage closer to $20,000 and less. The sticker is $22,500 and the $24,000 is with tax, title, and license. If I bought one out of state, I either have shipping costs and still have to pay tax, title, and license when I get it here or pay for a plane ticket to go pick it up, gas to drive home, and still pay T/T/L. I was thinking for it to be worth it to buy somewhere else it would have to be priced at $20,000 or below - and then there is the part of it being Certified and have the option for extended warranty - which is important to me.
Guess we will just have to see what happens come next week.
Yeah, it's on the higher side, about the same as mine. I bought from a dealer that was within a couple hours of home specifically so that I could go make a scene in their showroom on a crowded Saturday if I had any unresolved problems. It's what I wanted, what I had been lusting for. A heavy metal behemoth of a four door sedan that will go like :censor: . :censor: it! I wanted it! I bought it! I refuse to apologize!
<end rant now>

I did finance in the Ford ESP super duper plan to cover me as long as I am making payments on the car. I have always been cursed with bad mechanical luck. The Marauder is also sort of a new combination of pieces and parts. (You know, never buy the first version of anything?) I intend to keep this car a very long time. Therefore I need to keep it in good repair.

Eric91Z
08-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I did finance in the Ford ESP super duper plan to cover me as long as I am making payments on the car. I have always been cursed with bad mechanical luck. The Marauder is also sort of a new combination of pieces and parts. (You know, never buy the first version of anything?) I intend to keep this car a very long time. Therefore I need to keep it in good repair.

This is kind of what I was thinking, too. I don't mind paying a little more (within $1000-$2000 of comparable cars) to buy locally, get Certified, and extended Ford warranty. And even though it is used, it is still coming from a Ford dealership that seems (at least from the sales side) interested in keeping the car local and at least 1 guy in the service department that is in to them.

When I finally get one I, too, plan on keeping it for a long time and enjoying it. Not turning around and getting rid of it in a couple of years...