PDA

View Full Version : Kids Can't Drive. No Permits or Licenses to Anyone Under 17!

woaface
08-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I am now a firm believer that kids should go through a more rigorous driver's ed and should not be allowed to aquire even a permit under the age of 17.

Earlier today, my step-dad, younger sister, her friend, and myself were going out to dinner, my dad driving.

We enter a long and straight, two lane road with sections of dotted yellow line. Speed limit is 40mph, most do 50. A 2004 F250 or such is coming our way and from seemingly nowhere, an older beige Honda Accord pops out to pass this truck. He quickly (before about 1 second) realizes that he doesn't have the time, space, or speed to negotiate and finish the pass. As we're getting closer we can see it's a young kid, with another car following him, some more young kids in a brand new, dark blue civic. The kid dives on brakes to pull back into his lane and goes immediately into an 180 degree slide coming dangerously close to flipping his car. At this point he's roughly 25-35 feet in front of us. He over-corrects and his wheels go a completely different direction yet he stays on course sideways (obviously) and he then starts to drive straight and spin the other way, landing in a grassy ditch on his side of the road pointing towards us again.

I lean forward to get a better view and see two things that suprise me. My dad giving him the finger (not enough action for me at this very moment) and him looking at the car behind him and the rest of his friends and us....laughing like Santa.

I became white hot everywhere and with my hand on the door I was going to exit the Marquis, walk across the street and beat his face in. I would have forced my dad to back me given I was outnumbered, but I didn't care.

Not only did he endanger my life and my families, but had he hit us from the side he could hae seriously hurt my sisters or her friend. They are 10 and 11 respectively. So, the best he could do was laugh.

I hate to admit my anger came over me but it wasn't like I was going to ask my dad to road rage chase him down the highway and do something, it was going to be an all out street fight. I honestly, and most embarassingly, wanted to beat him retarded.

My dad locked the doors before I could act and I didn't try to unlock them or do anything about it. Two kids in our backseat were watching and nothing more could be done. The mentally deficient teens were attempting to drive away (not getting much traction in the dirt so not all that fast) and that was the end. I didn't get a plate number or anything.

Sorry to vent in such a long post but if I see him or his car again and get a plate number, I will make sure he get's a visit from the law and if within my abilities, a visit to court. It was a serious infraction on his driving privledges, and a much more serious risk of other people's lives.

stevengerard
08-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Kids feel empowered and know very little of the power and danger of a car. The good news is they mature and only get better. Eventually I/we will only get worse.

No need to feel you should have smacked him one, we all feel that way sometimes but it does nothing.

Fourth Horseman
08-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I hear you, brother. That type of thing isn't funny, and I would have had the exact same reaction that you did. I'm really glad that nobody was hurt. You've been through too much lately to have to deal with some punk kid who can't drive endangering your life and the lives of your friends and family. And you're absolutely right, we do not do enough training in this country for use of motor vehicles.

renegadetrucker
08-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Hay All

im a drivers ed teacher and some of the students that i teach are there just because thats all they whant is there drivers license.

Most of them dont care what happens when they drive. they thank it's a ease way out of school and there mom and dads house. :mad2:

Plese don't get me started. :argue:

duhtroll
08-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Careful James.

Some of us think the age should be 30. :) Even then there are idiots that can't drive.

I find it rather funny you refer to "them" (those under 17) as "kids."

:D

-A

Smokie
08-05-2005, 05:53 AM
James, I have 3 sons that started driving at age 16, of the 3 my oldest been involved in 2 accidents with injuries, both times the accident was caused by a woman over the age of 26....one woman was drunk....the other was on her way to a shopping center.

What I'm trying to say here is that teenagers drive about as well as the parents get involved and teach them driving skills and more importantly responsibility for their actions.

Some may find this hard to swallow, but it is not the schools that are responsible for what children do...it is the parents...always the parents....did I make myself clear...ALWAYS THE PARENTS.

woaface
08-05-2005, 07:03 AM
Oh definitely, parents are a huge part of it too. They trust that when they spend $150 or more for the school to "teach" their kids how to drive that they'll actually learn something. I've been driven around by almost every friend of mine and young person I know and there's only a few I trust.

I have friends who think it's funny that they didn't get their license until the 4th or 5th attempt. The only thing that happened was that they were "taught the test" and were able to pass simply because they learned what the administrater wanted and then forgot it all 24 hours after.

Granted, they don't get enough practice but should people start driving at younger ages (@ 15 I was eligible for a permit) especially with such impressionable minds (2 Fast 2 Furious) just because their parents are too lazy to take them everywhere?

Ehhh...

Fourth Horseman
08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Sadly relevant: MSNBC article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8501174/)

GodOSpeed
08-05-2005, 11:26 AM
I dont know... I think I've had more run ins or I should say run offs with old geezers myself.

I thank my defensive driving dad and old dirt roads for my driving skills.(not to mention loose child restraint laws) I was driving on his lap as a toddler and going to the store by 13. I've never been in or caused an accident/fender bender in my life. yea yea Im knocking on wood right now.

Both of my kids are growing into decent drivers from using the same technique. 9 & 6.

QWK SVT
08-05-2005, 11:45 AM
While there is obviously a need for additional training here, I will say this about the laughter:

When I was 18, my daily driver was a Camaro. Rear wheel drive, and winter don't mix. I was driving a friend, and hit black ice. I wasn't speeding (limit was 50mph, and given the conditions, I was well under that). I wasn't attempting a crazy maneuver. I was driving in a straight line, and hit black ice, while on the incline of a bridge.

The car spun wildly. The tires refused to grip, and I could see a car moving in the oncoming lane, at a VERY high rate of speed. My only choice was to use the gas pedal to push the car into "my lanes." I was able to get it under control and come to a stop, in the right lanes facing the wrong way, and making no comtact with anything.

The two of us sat there for a moment, completely silent. We looked at each other, and then laughed hysterically. Not 'cause it was funny. We knew how close we came, to something going really wrong. Once it was over, and the andrenaline rush stopped, it's just a hit of raw emotion, and laughter was how it came out...

Having said that, I've known morons that would find humor in nearly crashing a car. Like I said - morons.

ckadiddle
08-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I decided it wasn't a good idea to hit things when I first purchased auto insurance on my own. What a rude awakening THAT was.

duhtroll
08-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I've never caused an accident. Hopefully I never will. The only real one I have been involved in was where I was waiting to turn left and a kid literally floored it right into the back of my car and I didn't have time to move out of the way (he floored it while pulling out of a gas station while LOOKING BEHIND HIM) I saw all of this in the rear view, but my little Tempo just didn't have enough oomph to get out of the way.

I was taught that I am responsible for not only my vehicle, but how the other moron loses control of theirs.

You start to see when and where folks are going to cut you off, pull out in front of you, children running out from between parked cars, etc...

If you assume it's going to happen. All the time.

It's worked well so far.

-A

woaface
08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
You mean 10 and 2. 9 and 6 would be to hold the at a 90 degree angle and no professional driver EVER holds a wheel that way.

10 and 2 is the best way, period.

I have also been in situations where something catastrophic almost happened and I began to laugh afterwards, but it sure wasn't when my driver almost wiped someone else out. Especially with kids in our car it's not something to joke around with. This guy didn't learn any lessons.

9 & 6.

GodOSpeed
08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=woaface]You mean 10 and 2. 9 and 6 would be to hold the at a 90 degree angle and no professional driver EVER holds a wheel that way.

10 and 2 is the best way, period.[QUOTE]

9 and 6 are their ages my good man. Myself I prefer Midnight. :)

grampaws
08-05-2005, 02:54 PM
I recently had an similar incident following an elderly female driver

attempting a passing manuever! fortunately I had anticipated her
failed pass and had backed off many car lengths an avoided a collision..
Raising the driving age and graduated licencing are good ideas as well
as driver testing for elderly drivers .Conditional lisences for both.No highways or night driving(the can still go to the corner store) ..Maybe engine and speed
limiter controls on vehicles used by young drivers-Parental control for cars
A pre programmed key fob maybe!!
One thing we sometimes overlook is the imitation factor..many will try to
do things older drivers do (ie cell phones)such as in the msnbc video...
The combination of distraction and inexperience can have dire consequences..
Many Drivers don't set good examples for there own children...:(

woaface
08-05-2005, 07:38 PM
One thing we sometimes overlook is the imitation factor..many will try to
do things older drivers do (ie cell phones)such as in the msnbc video...
The combination of distraction and inexperience can have dire consequences..
Many Drivers don't set good examples for there own children...:(
Excuse the pun but you are "dead on." I know I try to act cool when the rap music goes on and their are friends in the car. (Not the minivan, I already know there is no way to be cool in the minivan.)

Midnight? Yeah, that's where the hand goes when the rap music comes on and the boys are in the car but I NEVER lean my seat all the way back. I never got that. If you can't see over the dash that's NOT COOL. I've tried it once and it feels so awkward and uncomfortable.

Donny Carlson
08-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Leads to stuff like this.

Granted, inexeperienced drivers can present more of a road hazard. But that is not related to age or maturity. And idiots of all ages get in driver's seats.

You're rage was/is misplaced, inappropriate, and dangerous.