PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow out, FMS Duel Modes in

DEFYANT
08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I had the Magnaflows swapped out infavor of the FMS Duel Mode Mufflers. Dont get me wrong, the Magnaflows sound great, but they were waaaaayy too loud when traveling w/ the younglings. Yes, they drone.

Mac, I know, I know! spare me the "I told ya so" :D ;) .

Either way, I dont regret the purchase. The Kooks headers, x-pipe, DM Mufflers and Megs tips sound great. Both inside the car and out.

Now what to do with the stock exhaust and the Magnaflows?

stevengerard
08-05-2005, 10:17 PM
recycle it, I may be headed towards the dual-mode myself. I assume they sound decent when in normal mode and great when open, yes, no, maybe so

STLR FN
08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
What size are the Magnaflows? 11" body 14" body 18" body What are ya lookin at to get rid of them?
I had the Magnaflows swapped out infavor of the FMS Duel Mode Mufflers. Dont get me wrong, the Magnaflows sound great, but they were waaaaayy too loud when traveling w/ the younglings. Yes, they drone.

Either way, I dont regret the purchase. The Kooks headers, x-pipe, DM Mufflers and Megs tips sound great. Both inside the car and out.

DEFYANT
08-06-2005, 04:54 AM
I will post details on Monday. I already packed them away & I'm heading to NY this weekend very soon.

hitchhiker
08-06-2005, 09:12 AM

Do you have a part number for the FMS dual mode mufflers?

How much modification was required to put them in?

Are they a 1 for 1 substitution for the stock ones?

Thanks,

David

DEFYANT
08-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Do you have a part number for the FMS dual mode mufflers?

How much modification was required to put them in?

Are they a 1 for 1 substitution for the stock ones?

Thanks,

David
The part number is M-5230-BPS*

They replace the stockers but require some welding

hitchhiker
08-06-2005, 12:40 PM
The part number is M-5230-BPS*

They replace the stockers but require some welding
Thank You!

;)

Marauder386
08-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Been running the FMS Dual modes for about 2 months now. They are great ! I happened to notice that the sound is a bit more gutteral since the first day of them being installed ...

:coolman:

Glenn
08-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I know I should stay away from this thread because no one else uses their stock mufflers and I am just losing HP and performance with them. But, in case we have a few new members on the net, I will again say we have an alternative in the stock OEM mufflers which do work well with no droning and with perhaps 4 HP less versus Magaflows. I am very pleased with a nice sounding exhaust that is louder then stock, but has no droning at 70-80 mph. You can hear it if you turn off the radio and listen. The E/S setup includes the FR shorty ceramic coated headers with the Magaflow Cobra hi-flow X-pipe & CATS conected to the stock mufflers and pipes (no deletes). The system is worth about 15 HP over stock. The system was installed by Grand Mufflers, Marietta (Todd's shop) who did an excellence job.

Just an alternative for some of us older 2% who appreciate some nice limited exhaust sounds.

Glenn :burnout:

Smokie
08-06-2005, 05:33 PM
I know I should stay away from this thread because no one else uses their stock mufflers and I am just losing HP and performance with them. But, in case we have a few new members on the net, I will again say we have an alternative in the stock OEM mufflers which do work well with no droning and with perhaps 4 HP less versus Magaflows. I am very pleased with a nice sounding exhaust that is louder then stock, but has no droning at 70-80 mph. You can hear it if you turn off the radio and listen. The E/S setup includes the FR shorty ceramic coated headers with the Magaflow Cobra hi-flow X-pipe & CATS conected to the stock mufflers and pipes (no deletes). The system is worth about 15 HP over stock. The system was installed by Grand Mufflers, Marietta (Todd's shop) who did an excellence job.

Just an alternative for some of us older 2% who appreciate some nice limited exhaust sounds.

Glenn :burnout:Glenn I have almost exactly what you have, the exception being the 18" SS Magnaflow mufflers. I am very sensitive to noise and don't feel like I have drone at all.

The night that Carfixer and Tallboy completed my S/C install at about 2:00 am the three of us went for a test drive. I recall that Tallboy who was aware that my exhaust was not stock commented on how quiet my car was during normal driving...I was very pleased to hear that because it confirmed my opinion that my car is quiet...until it is flogged.:)