PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a convoy to MVIII

Mike Brown
08-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I will be heading out on the 17th from Greenfield Indiana taking I-70 east to I-75 Exit 33B towards Toledo. I would like to hook up with any of you taking I-70 thru Indiana or I-75 in Ohio. So if any of you are going my way let me know.

CRUZTAKER
08-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey Mike...check THIS (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20250) thread out.

We should be exiting the Ohio turnpike onto I-75 (marker 196) in Ohio between 14:15 and 14:45 if you want some cars to make the final 75 miles or so.

Of course we'll have to find a spot to hook...but it's your call. ;)

NAVCHAP
08-08-2005, 07:29 PM
There is a convoy that is starting in Seattle and San Diego. It is picking up folks in Salt Lake City and Davenport Iowa.

Meeting folks from Kansas City and Dallas, and maybe a few more places along the way. Getting at least one MM from the Twin Cities.

Lunch on Tuesday outside Joliet IL where the US 45 meets I-80. Arranged by the Chicago contingent. It will be coming through Indiana on I-80 after lunch on Tuesday.

Option #1: Would you like to come up the I-69 and meet us at the I-80 and I-69 interchange?

Option #2: Would you like to meet us for the last 10 miles or so at the I-94 and I-75 interchange?

Option #3: Would you like to suggest something to the convoy?

We will have family radios and cell phones. It will not be hard to coordinate. PM or email me if you are interested.

Have a safe and fun trip, -kjs-

CRUZTAKER
08-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Well Kieth...what's YOUR eta for I-75/I-80 ?

NAVCHAP
08-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Barry, belay my last, since this is my first trip on this route.

We are going to pick up I-94 earlier than implied in my previous post. The plan is actually to go across MI on I-94.

With my diminished middle aged eyesight, it was not obvious to me from the atlas that the I-80 had rolled into the I-94.

We will probably hit I-75 less than an hour before we arrive, which ought to be sometime around 1730-1800/5:30pm-6:00pm.

Nonetheless, we will adapt and adjust for those who want to "hop the train" so to speak.

Until we actually roll through the various cities and towns, we will be happy to consider options and alternatives that make sense.

We used a democratic method last year and all the players had input, JD, Maury, M/M BJ, Brian (my brother) Scott, John, etc. We came up with a 90% solution most of the time and the other 10% of us were willing to live with it.

Would love to have your awesome "red accented" NOS bottled, ice pack wearing, super tire roasting, smoke detector tripping MM with us on the road, you are a blast to be around!

Is there a realistic way that we can rendezvous with y'all?

CRUZTAKER
08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
No problem...but be aware of Mi. consruction.

I can never remember...but it's either 94 or 96 (or both) that's a freekin mess as you get closer to Detroit.

Enjoy your trip, and be safe!

NAVCHAP
08-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Would you suggest an alternate route? Would rather not take all the MM lemmings over a cliff, no joke. We all have zero situational awareness about the MI roads. Regards, -kjs-

SergntMac
08-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Be advised that the I-80 is under construction west of the IL/IN border.

Our "lunch" location is 18 miles west of the IL/IN border, and the last 8 miles of I-80 inside IL is a construction zone. After you cross over into IN, it should get better, but this route is usually congested anyway, depending on time of day. Looking at any map, there seems no way around it.

Can't speak for MI roads, haven't been on any of them for two months now. Just be aware of the construction zones I can relate here and now?

I may get a chance to scout the roads better later in this week, please check back? It usually takes me less than an hour to cover IN on I-94, border to border. If I see this change, I'll report that here.

Best wishes to all driving OTR.

NAVCHAP
08-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Mac: Appreciate the info, we'll ask for more roadside intel later in the week. My trip starts as soon as they call away "knock off ship's work" on Thursday 11 August, although we may finish early in exchange for participating in a 5k, not a bad deal.

BT

Barry: My cell # on the Bunny List remains in effect. Please confirm that the cell # you have on the Bunny List is still valid. I will be in possession of a hard copy of the list, so anyone in the formation who needs another "Bunny Contact" can get that data.

Regards and Thanks, -kjs-

CRUZTAKER
08-09-2005, 07:31 AM
I just came across the Indiana tollway, dropping down from Grand Rapids off Michigan RT-131. There is about 5 miles of one lane just before the Indiana RT-69. It wasn't too bad. Only took 10 minutes or so to pass through. I wouldn't sweat that stretch.

As far as Michigan, perhaps the locals will speak up, but I am thinking the few miles out of you way it would be to just run the toll road all the way over to Ohio I-75 may be worth it to avoid 96.

Either route you take, your timing, 1800 rush hour, is gonna be a real doozie passing through the Detroit city interchange. It backs up at 1530 nicely, and I have spent an hour just going from downtown to the host hotel before.