PDA

View Full Version : For you hunters out there

shakes_26
08-09-2005, 08:03 PM
For the rest of you, meat does not grow in styrofoam trays.

Anyway, just got my trophies back from my African Safari last year. If you've never been there, you must make the trip, even armed only with a camera.

This was my second trip, and this time it was bow and arrow only. Anyway here are the pics...

Mountain reedbuck
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00730.jpg

Blue Wildebeest and Blesbuck

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00726.jpg

Blue Wildebeest
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00728.jpg

WartHog central
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00724.jpg

:eek:Yes, animals were harmed during the making of this safari. yes a local village was supported for the better part of a year of the wages they earned during my visit. Yes the meat was eaten, except the warthog, they carry all sorts of pestilence.

Bowman9
08-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Feel free to come to Pennsylvania, we have lots of deer you can have.

Fourth Horseman
08-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Nice trophies! I don't shoot the big critters myself, but damn that sounds like a fun, if expensive, holiday.

Mike Poore
08-10-2005, 04:00 AM
It's the trip high on our list. Beautiful job on the reedbuck I thought it was a Springbock, at first.

Bow hunting: are you a PBS member, by chance?

O's Fan Rich
08-10-2005, 04:45 AM
If you're gonna grille it , you gotta kill it!

I have No problem with hunting, as long as the animal is eaten, not just made a "trophy".

rocknrod
08-10-2005, 04:57 AM
Those are nice. We have safari's in Texas to get most of those.

But those are real nice!

Petrograde
08-10-2005, 05:38 AM
very nice!

how did you get them to run through the walls?

:P

SouLRioT
08-10-2005, 06:03 AM
Its cool that all your hunting was with bow & arrow. Now only if we could hunt gators...........

shakes_26
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
PBS? Whats Public television got to do with it? ;) No not a member, most bowhunting gets as bad as a supercharger war, with the compund shooters on one side and the stick bow on the other. Don't get me wrong I totally am impressed at those who cna make their own bow and arrows, and points, but the wound versus kill rate is too high for me, and I can't deal with that.

Rocknrod, I'm looking to go to Texas for one of those legendary monster Whitetails, so if you know any reputable outfitters.... I could go just up the road here to the Brady Ranch and shoot all sorts of exotics, but you know, shooting a Moufflon in south Florida jsut takes the challenge out of it.

As far as cost, honestly, for a 10day African plains game safari, with 5 decent trophies, you are lookign at roughly the same cost as a North American Elk hunt, 1 animal, 5 days. Difference is airfare is higher to get there, but its also a real getaway. And did I mention the service you get? Like freakin' royalty.

Anybody ever interested in goign over, I've got all kinds of insider tips and places to go/see.

It's the trip high on our list. Beautiful job on the reedbuck I thought it was a Springbock, at first.

Bow hunting: are you a PBS member, by chance?

shakes_26
08-10-2005, 07:05 AM
Bill,

We cna hunt gators, although its not real sporting. you basically float a piece of bait in front of them ona hook. then gently reel them in, real slow so they dont spook. And then pow a power head shot to the head.

Now it gets real exciting if the gator figures out whats goign on during thsi process.....especially if you miss the first shot.

Its all done ona lotto basis

Its cool that all your hunting was with bow & arrow. Now only if we could hunt gators...........

ParkRanger
08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
How about a polar bear with a bow and arrow?

PR :burnout:

jabird56
08-12-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm getting this small fry mounted, should be ready in a couple weeks. Yeah,...I'm a member of PETA...People Eating Tasty Animals. Moose is awlsome, very lean and extremely tender.

CRUZTAKER
08-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Touchy subject with some folks for sure.

I fish...so I guess I kill animals as well.

However, it would be interesting if the animals could shoot back? I might not make a tasty meal at 156lbs. , but some of the others......:P

CrazyCor15
08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm getting this small fry mounted, should be ready in a couple weeks. Yeah,...I'm a member of PETA...People Eating Tasty Animals. Moose is awlsome, very lean and extremely tender.Where did you bag that one?

jabird56
08-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Got him in the proximity of the mark on this commercial image, in NW Ontario. Two day run from Omaha then an hour and a half by floatplane.

Where did you bag that one?

duhtroll
08-14-2005, 02:13 PM
You forgot recurve! How DARE you!

;)

PBS? Whats Public television got to do with it? ;) No not a member, most bowhunting gets as bad as a supercharger war, with the compund shooters on one side and the stick bow on the other. Don't get me wrong I totally am impressed at those who cna make their own bow and arrows, and points, but the wound versus kill rate is too high for me, and I can't deal with that.

Rocknrod, I'm looking to go to Texas for one of those legendary monster Whitetails, so if you know any reputable outfitters.... I could go just up the road here to the Brady Ranch and shoot all sorts of exotics, but you know, shooting a Moufflon in south Florida jsut takes the challenge out of it.

As far as cost, honestly, for a 10day African plains game safari, with 5 decent trophies, you are lookign at roughly the same cost as a North American Elk hunt, 1 animal, 5 days. Difference is airfare is higher to get there, but its also a real getaway. And did I mention the service you get? Like freakin' royalty.

Anybody ever interested in goign over, I've got all kinds of insider tips and places to go/see.