PDA

View Full Version : NHL Wooing Fans Back With Punch A Player Night

dwasson
08-12-2005, 09:14 AM
NEW YORK – Time to polish up the Zambonis, the National Hockey League will be back after losing a season to a lockout, thanks to an all-night, bloody bargaining session with the players and owners.

The challenge the NHL now faces is bringing fans of the sport, who were left out in the cold last season, back to the games and television coverage. Many hockey lovers spent the long winter drinking and fighting in bars with other fans, battling over VHS tapes of the previous season.

South Boston native, Tommy O’Guinness, said that he’s still mad at the sport and his lifelong obsession, the Boston Bruins, “broke my freakin’ heart.” Although never a season ticket holder, O’Guinness, attended most home games.

“Scalpers know my face, put it that way. Not for nothing, but season before last, I spent more money on the Bruins than I did on my fiancés engagement ring – don’t print that though, she’ll be wicked pissed,” O’Guinness said. “It’s gonna take me a little bit to forget about last year and lay out money on tickets again.”

The NHL has two plans to bring the fans back, lower ticket prices and “Punch a Player in the Face” nights.

Commissioner Gary Bettman explained the new promotions. “We know fans are unhappy and a lot of them would like to punch me in the face, but let’s put last season behind us and heal the bond with our fans by letting them punch players,” Bettman said. “One fan’s ticket number will be picked at random to choose any player on any team to punch at the end of each game. The players are willing to do it and I am sure the fans won’t mind taking out their frustrations. Let’s begin the healing process.”

Tommy O’Guinness was excited about the opportunity. “Are you kiddin’ me? I’ll be buying a whole section of tickets when the Rangers play here.”

Bluerauder
08-12-2005, 09:21 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I spent more money on the Bruins than I did on my fiancés engagement ring – don’t print that though, she’ll be wicked pissed,” O’Guinness said.
You have a real talent for some funny stuff. :D

Cheeseheadbob
08-12-2005, 10:13 AM
As someone who played hockey at a fairly high level, and endured the heckling and inane and obscene comments of ignorant and drunken non-atheletes, I would like to suggest "Player Punch A Fan Night"......Oops! I just remember, it's already been done. Sorry about that! :D
NEW YORK – Time to polish up the Zambonis, the National Hockey League will be back after losing a season to a lockout, thanks to an all-night, bloody bargaining session with the players and owners.

The challenge the NHL now faces is bringing fans of the sport, who were left out in the cold last season, back to the games and television coverage. Many hockey lovers spent the long winter drinking and fighting in bars with other fans, battling over VHS tapes of the previous season.

South Boston native, Tommy O’Guinness, said that he’s still mad at the sport and his lifelong obsession, the Boston Bruins, “broke my freakin’ heart.” Although never a season ticket holder, O’Guinness, attended most home games.

“Scalpers know my face, put it that way. Not for nothing, but season before last, I spent more money on the Bruins than I did on my fiancés engagement ring – don’t print that though, she’ll be wicked pissed,” O’Guinness said. “It’s gonna take me a little bit to forget about last year and lay out money on tickets again.”

The NHL has two plans to bring the fans back, lower ticket prices and “Punch a Player in the Face” nights.

Commissioner Gary Bettman explained the new promotions. “We know fans are unhappy and a lot of them would like to punch me in the face, but let’s put last season behind us and heal the bond with our fans by letting them punch players,” Bettman said. “One fan’s ticket number will be picked at random to choose any player on any team to punch at the end of each game. The players are willing to do it and I am sure the fans won’t mind taking out their frustrations. Let’s begin the healing process.”

Tommy O’Guinness was excited about the opportunity. “Are you kiddin’ me? I’ll be buying a whole section of tickets when the Rangers play here.”

shakes_26
08-12-2005, 10:56 AM
That was the NBA, not the NHL.... now we know why those boards are so tall.... hard to climb in skates.

As someone who played hockey at a fairly high level, and endured the heckling and inane and obscene comments of ignorant and drunken non-atheletes, I would like to suggest "Player Punch A Fan Night"......Oops! I just remember, it's already been done. Sorry about that! :D

Cheeseheadbob
08-12-2005, 11:00 AM
There is a 4" ledge where the plexiglass meets the boards all around, including the team boxes. Pretty easy to get a skate blade up on the ledge, throw one leg over the glass and get busy, so I am told.....:D
That was the NBA, not the NHL.... now we know why those boards are so tall.... hard to climb in skates.

duhtroll
08-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, what website are you pulling these from?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You have a real talent for some funny stuff. :D

RoyLPita
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM

This stuff sure beats the tabloids. Keep 'em coming.

dwasson
08-12-2005, 12:32 PM

A buddy in Boston sent me that one.