PDA

View Full Version : mileage tips?

duhtroll
08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
OK, I saw this article and have always wondered --

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/tipsandadvice/08/12/save_gas/index.html

It says driving with the cruise control saves gas. I don't see it that way. The CC constantly adjusts speed to stay even. It would make more sense that leaving your foot on the gas in the same place for long periods of time would be better (i.e. slowing down uphill, accelerating downhill) and that is one reason why truckers do this (besides the load in many cases). They have fuel costs and any savings is in their pockets, so they drive this way.

Am I way off on this?

BTW it also says that driving with windows down drags enough that it's worse than AC use.

jfclancy
08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
BTW it also says that driving with windows down drags enough that it's worse than AC use.[/QUOTE]

Proven fact at speeds over 40-45 mph the drag from the windows uses more gas than the A/C.

Joe Clancy :beer: :beer:

2003 MIB
08-12-2005, 12:14 PM
slowing down uphill, accelerating downhill
Where did you find a hill in Iowa?:D

juno
08-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Check your tire pressure. Low pressure could cost you .5 mpg.

Draft as much as possible. :)

Bluerauder
08-12-2005, 12:24 PM
OK, I saw this article and have always wondered --
It says driving with the cruise control saves gas. I don't see it that way. Kinda makes sense to me because the cruise control does the changes much more gradual and more smoothly. Personally, I know that I am much heavier on the acceleration changes -- so I have no doubt that in my case CC would save gas (but not be as much fun). :D That said, I haven't ever used my CC but once or twice since I've had the car (22 months) because it is such a pain in and out of the heavy traffic in Northern Virginia. Maybe it'll get it's first workout enroute to MV III -- maybe not. :rolleyes:

.... BTW it also says that driving with windows down drags enough that it's worse than AC use.
I remember a time when we only had "2-70 A/C" or "4-70 A/C". :rofl:

TooManyFords
08-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Mileage tip?

Here's one: Stop running down innocent Red Supercharged Cobalts so you can kick their ass!

:laugh:

Huzzah!

John

MikesMerc
08-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Cruise control does save gas.

Just about all of our "big rigs" at our Trucking company have the cruise feature. Our tractors run long haul and have sleepers. The average lane distance is 2500 miles. We have "little black boxes" on all tractors that capture everything (gas pedal position, MPH, brake pressure, gear, etc, etc). In general, cruise gains 1-2 MPG.

The reason cruise gains fuel efficiency is because it controls engine rpm spikes(which directly relates to fuel injector cycles). Spikes in rpm use more fuel than what is saved when the driver lifts the pedal. This is why constant rpm is almost always better in fuel economy (assuming the constant speed is within tolerable drag limits). Remember cruise attempts to control engine rpm directly. A constant application on the accelerator pedal by the driver does not. Engine rpm increases/decreases with constant pedal position depending on the road grade.

Cruise also has a side benefit of keeping the truck in a "efficiency" zone. When cruise is set, its set at speeds that are not only legal, but keep wind drag down. The faster the vehicle travels, the more drag there is. And the drag does not grow in a linear fashion with speed, but an exponential way. So hitting "the wall" is very very bad for mileage.

Its amazing what you can find out about fuel ecenomy with all the data available for 800 big rigs and 50 shuttle trucks:)

Mad4Macs
08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Now... and this may be stretching things a bit... but I've been thinking more and more of getting my car dyno tuned...
Is it possible, that by ensuring that you're running at a correct A/F ratio, timing etc... that if you were to stay out of the pedal, you might get better milage too?
Humor me, I'm not just looking for excuses to spend money on my car :D

SergntMac
08-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Now... and this may be stretching things a bit... but I've been thinking more and more of getting my car dyno tuned... Is it possible, that by ensuring that you're running at a correct A/F ratio, timing etc... that if you were to stay out of the pedal, you might get better milage too?
Humor me, I'm not just looking for excuses to spend money on my car :D There's nothing funny about this, it's true. A dyno tune extracts the best performance possible and resets OEM control systems to run at peak efficiency for your particular MM, in your neighborhood. Ford-L/M can never do that, but the production tune isn't so bad. Neither is the "off-the rack" chip/HHP store bought tune.

What's peaked on the day of the tune isn't always the conditions you drive in. The chief problems with a dyno tune, is the subsequent change in your right foot guidance system, and air density and octane performance of your local conditions following the tune. You're going to be tempted to enjoy the performance a dyno tune will deliver, which will most likely suck your MPG stats (as well as your underwear) out the exhaust pipe. But, the final tune will be more sensitive to local weather conditions and fuel quality. If you dyno tune in spring specific weather, fall specific weather performance will suck, but the EEC should compensate if you stay inside the rules, and a good tuner will keep you there. Overall, a dyno tune is better than not dyno tuned, IMHO.

I've watched my MPG float all over the place, from 16 MPG in-city driving, to 24 MPG OTR. Some of it's due to tuning, some is tire PSI and lowest rolling resistance, some is humidity, air temp, and so on. Yes, a dyno tune is the best way to go, and wearing a choker collar on your right foot, is the second best MPG producer, IMHO.

duhtroll
08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
That was a Cobalt SS, thank you very much!

Super
Slow

"but I had too much wheelspin!"

Mileage tip?

Here's one: Stop running down innocent Red Supercharged Cobalts so you can kick their ass!

:laugh:

Huzzah!

John

jgc61sr2002
08-12-2005, 03:54 PM
I agree cruise control and windows closed result in increased gas mileage. :)

SergntMac
08-12-2005, 04:54 PM
And...Don't underestimate wax. You can pick the 4 buck wipe and shine, or, spend days applying some double oh buck triple coat application, but it doesn't matter.

The slicker your MM runs against the wind, the faster it will drive, and burn less gas doing it. Keep the dust off your MM as best as possible, dust weighs your down. Burned up tire stuff stuck in your wheel well, and on your tips weighs more, and it all adds up in your final quarter time.

So does wax. A simple coat of "show and shine" weighs a lot less than 3-4 coats of whazzever. The "Original California Duster" has done more for American hot rod performance than Edelbrock, Holly, and Hooker combined, and I just learned this at my last car show, so wipe it down before the tree?

The dust it collects and removes is awesome, no wax anywhere can compete. Keep your MM clean, and waxed the lite way, and you'll be ready to show at your next whim, but also be as fast in your next race. Slick is fast, dirt is dead weight, wax to taste, clean moves the car...

What...What did I say now...

shakes_26
08-12-2005, 08:12 PM
hmm maybe the $67/barrel for crude cna keep your foot out of it some... maybe I'll back down to a calm 80mph on the interstate....

StevenJ
08-15-2005, 07:08 PM
BTW it also says that driving with windows down drags enough that it's worse than AC use. Proven fact at speeds over 40-45 mph the drag from the windows uses more gas than the A/C.

Joe Clancy :beer: :beer:[/QUOTE] Now I know why my gas millage is terrible! I'm never riding windows down on the highway again! Thanks for that tip! It will change my life forever :stupid: So I guess that means my dad was right. A/C is better on the highway then windows.