PDA

View Full Version : Treo 650

Slowpoke
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I finally got around to getting a Treo 650 today. Anyone who has one and has some good tips please post here.

Logan
08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
I've got one...

Tip #1, don't drop it into a glass of crown and coke. While the crown and coke is only slightly affected and still consumable, the 650 does not fare anywhere near as well, even after a good rinse and blow dry...

Hmmm..

GarageMahal
08-15-2005, 04:45 PM
I've got one...

Tip #1, don't drop it into a glass of crown and coke. While the crown and coke is only slightly affected and still consumable, the 650 does not fare anywhere near as well, even after a good rinse and blow dry...

Hmmm..

Good tip :)

I just got the Samsung 730 and am posting from it now :D

DeepSea117
08-17-2005, 01:57 AM
I finally got around to getting a Treo 650 today. Anyone who has one and has some good tips please post here.
Who's the carrier? I know Verizon got a lot of heat for disabling some of the Bluetooth features when they started carrying Bluetooth phones, like the Motorola V710, and maybe the Treo 650.

I say check to make sure all the features work.

Slowpoke
08-17-2005, 05:22 AM
cingular / AT&T. so far so good. everythng seems to work just fine.

Who's the carrier? I know Verizon got a lot of heat for disabling some of the Bluetooth features when they started carrying Bluetooth phones, like the Motorola V710, and maybe the Treo 650.

I say check to make sure all the features work.

twolow
08-17-2005, 09:40 AM
I work for Cingular and sale the 650; don't use one though.

Pretty much, go to handango on the web to get just about any software for it and be careful with the free websites as some of the free junk can start screwing up your software (I know from experience with a 600 i had and from customers everyday with a 650 that cut off/won't cut on/locks up/etc after putting some 2nd rate freeware in it)

04MEMA
08-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Here you go, hopefully it's helpful,

Check the Treo website for updates. I have the Sprint Treo 650 and there was an update there. I have recently met people who just got a 650 and it didn't have the update, so it's worth checking. Also if you're going to upgrade the documents to go software register your current software first. They sent me out a promotion that was $10 off on the upgrade.

There are a couple more things you might check out. I'm not sure how much of the 650 is carrier dependent so this may not apply at all to yours. I've had my 650 since March and I have a co worker who got his a month ago. In mine, I can turn off the green flashing signal indicator - under phone press the menu button, general preferences and then see if you have a check box for "Blink green LED when in coverage". My phone has this and my co workers doesn't. Also for ring tones (phone, menu, tones, manage) check if you have a "new" button at the bottom that will allow you to record your own through the phone's microhone. My phone doesn't have that option, my co-workers does.

Lastly, I recommend insurance (if your carrier offers it, Sprint is like $4 a month) I killed my last 2 phones and didn't have insurance (duh). And use the screen protector sheets, my last phone (Pocket PC by Toshiba) got all scratched up in about 5 months.

I like the phone quite a bit. Good battery life, pretty useful, good phone and cool. I use the camera and video recorder all the time. I recommend you keep your pics and vids on an external card or your camera will be slow to shoot the next shot once you have too many pics on the phones memory. And I recommend managing the pictures (moving from the phone to the card and into albums) from the desktop software - it goes alot faster when you have a lot of content. I have a 512 card, and it seems to be enough space for me. I use an excel sheet for tracking MPG on my MM and plan on eventually using a Money compatible program for my finances.

Good luck and enjoy!
Jeff

twolow
08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Insurance is not offered on a PDA product with Cingular (bummer) and there is a software patch just released for Cingular Treo 650's so definately register yours so it will get that update to you.

Slowpoke
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
thanks for the info!