PDA

View Full Version : Open-faced helmets vs. Closed-faced helmets?

DeepSea117
08-17-2005, 03:13 AM
I recently got a helmet for the track, and I went with an open-face so I could talk to the instructor. Got the neck-roll too, but I started thinking I should have gone with the closed-face. Any opinions one way or another?

The guy at the place where I bought my helmet (Bell) said that there were incidents where the airbag getting set-off on a closed-face helmet posed a danger to the driver because of the chance of suffocation.

I wanted a closed-face too, because my open-face helmet (colored black) made me look like a f-ckin microphone. :D

martyo
08-17-2005, 03:56 AM
The guy at the place where I bought my helmet (Bell) said that there were incidents where the airbag getting set-off on a closed-face helmet posed a danger to the driver because of the chance of suffocation.

I have a Bell closed face and like it, other than the fact that with a head as big as mine, I look like a have a balloon on a string.

When an air bag deploys, it is deflating literally instantly after full deployment (time here is measured in fractions of a second), so I don't get the airbag comment.

2003 MIB
08-17-2005, 04:02 AM
with a head as big as mine, I look like a have a balloon on a string.
Really more like an orange on a toothpick.:)

SergntMac
08-17-2005, 04:34 AM
I think the 2005 NMRA and NHRA rules now require a full face helmet. Last time I went racing, Tech also checked for Snell 2K or better certification. I'm not sure about this, please check it out before your buy?

DeepSea117
08-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Sorry maybe I should have specified, too late for me SergntMac.:) I got it from the Bell factory in Oakland, for driving NASA's hpde, and it's got an SA-2000 rating.

Martyo, I think the deflating part is what the guy was addressing, kinda like a plastic bag wrapping around the helmet. I've never even thought airbags could do that, but supposedly they were getting remarks from some sanctioning bodies. Sorry to hear about the balloon on a string effect--I also thought I looked like a soldier from Spaceballs. But it's a Mel Brooks look, so it's not so bad. HAIL PRESIDENT SCROOB!

MarauderMark
08-17-2005, 05:23 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Sorry to hear about the balloon on a string effect--I also thought I looked like a soldier from Spaceballs. But it's a Mel Brooks look, so it's not so bad. HAIL PRESIDENT SCROOB!

I tried both and actually like the full face. Looks kewl..

ckadiddle
08-17-2005, 06:32 AM
I recently got a helmet for the track, and I went with an open-face so I could talk to the instructor. Got the neck-roll too, but I started thinking I should have gone with the closed-face. Any opinions one way or another?

I wanted a closed-face too, because my open-face helmet (colored black) made me look like a f-ckin microphone. :D
Having actually experienced airbag deployment (in a 1997 Crown Vic, God rest her soul), I can verify it won't suffocate you unless you try to eat it. Inflates and deflates within a fraction of a second. However, the explosive deployment will pizz you off far more than actually wrecking your car does. The powder that they are packed in (to keep it from sticking to itself while folded up for years ) will appear to be smoke in the passenger compartment and the dash will be hot to the touch. You will think your car is on fire. I knew I was about to get nailed a half second before it happened, but the airbag I was NOT prepared for.

Al Goguen
08-17-2005, 07:12 AM
I also suffered air bag deployment in 1995 Thunderbird....smoke scared the
crap outa me,,,thought I was on fire and was tring to bail when I realized I
was being held in by seat belt.......Totaled the car....I got rash burns on
the inside of my arms from the airbag cause I held on to the steering
wheel so hard the bag burned me..Also got a sore chest from the bag hitting me hard. Other then that was very glad to have the airbag.
The front of the car was pushed all the way into the windshield....:banana:

Having actually experienced airbag deployment (in a 1997 Crown Vic, God rest her soul), I can verify it won't suffocate you unless you try to eat it. Inflates and deflates within a fraction of a second. However, the explosive deployment will pizz you off far more than actually wrecking your car does. The powder that they are packed in (to keep it from sticking to itself while folded up for years ) will appear to be smoke in the passenger compartment and the dash will be hot to the touch. You will think your car is on fire. I knew I was about to get nailed a half second before it happened, but the airbag I was NOT prepared for.

Haggis
08-17-2005, 07:13 AM
I tried both and actually like the full face. Looks kewl..
We like it on you too, but not for the same reason. :baaa:

dwasson
08-17-2005, 07:54 AM
The full face helmet allows for an open casket funeral.

BK_GrandMarquis
08-17-2005, 06:42 PM
A full face helmet has more protection and allow for more use. Open face helmets will have limitations per type of event your going to enter. Pretty sure you can't use a open face helmet in an open wheel car, like one of those high end go-carts. If you get one with a large eye port, it's not that bad, especially when you remove the visor.