PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Car ramps

Big House
08-17-2005, 08:33 AM
I have a set of those gray hard plactic car ramps and the darn things do not stay in place when I try to run up onthem...has anyone else had the problem with these things and am I doing something wrong? How hard can it be to just drive up a set of ramps.

MarauderMark
08-17-2005, 09:42 AM
I have a set of those gray hard plactic car ramps and the darn things do not stay in place when I try to run up onthem...has anyone else had the problem with these things and am I doing something wrong? How hard can it be to just drive up a set of ramps.

Thats funny ..I had a set given to me and i thought wow these will be great for workin on the mm until i drove up them (1st time) 1 wheel went up and the other slide and flipped the other ramp under the in the wheel well . so i had to jack up the car to get it out and threw both of them in the trash(insert hands wiping here)and that was that..

the_pack_rat
08-17-2005, 09:53 AM
I've had a pair for a couple years & only used them twice.

1st - Change the oil on my Toronado.

2nd - Adjust the rear air suspension arm on my LSC.

Both times seems to work ok for me.

Are you working on a rough or smooth surface ?. I could see keeping them in place on say a painted/coated floor of a garage to be an issue.

MENINBLK
08-17-2005, 09:59 AM

Remember, you are not driving up on these ramps with the DRIVEN Wheels.
Because they are PLASTIC, they are lightweight and will move
with any pressure applied to them.
Try blocking the ramps with your winter tires.
They should hold them in place as you drive up.
If not, buy yourself a few 2 x 6s and build your own ramps...

Breadfan
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
I have a set of these, they do move easily but I've had decent luck with them. Even able to get my 5spd Mustang up them without too much difficulty.

They have rubber pads underneath, mine fell off VERY easily. Might want to see if they're still there...they do make a difference. They do still move with the pads, but without the pads they'll be all over the place.

I'm also using these on rather rough concrete, haven't tried them on smoother surfaces, the movement could be alot worse, I could have an advantage with rougher surfaces!

MM03MOK
08-17-2005, 12:38 PM
I haven't hear RF complain about them.:tantrum: How about a pair of rubber floor mats under the ramps?

rocknrod
08-17-2005, 01:08 PM
http://www.protechproducts.net/ramps.jpgThese do not move.
They have rubber grip type material under them.
I use em all the time.
http://www.protechproducts.net/tools.htm

Skiordie53
08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
when i used to use them on my firebird i used to kick them under the tires before driving up. haven't tried them on the marauder yet

ex00p71
08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Me and my cousin bought a set. We used them with his Mustang and they worked fine.

I also shoved the ramps under the tires a bit so they would stay in place, plus I have a ugly pitted driveway that the ramps don't slide on very much.

geves
08-17-2005, 01:43 PM
I have used them for about two years now. To make sure they don't move, I pull up, slide the ramps up to the tires, give 'em a good kick and after that they don't move. They seem to work better with front drive cars as someone mentioned but that could be just the fact that my wife's century labors to get up the ramps. With my Marauder, I am afraid I will go to far!

GreekGod
08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
The 1st time I used these ramps was with my '79 F150 4x4. Drove right on over them like they wuz gis a little rock or log inna the road. I do use them on a '93 Gran Marquis and they are just the right height for oil changes. Like Breadfan said, the black pads fall off all the time. I will try to glue them in place (hot glue or silicone sealer?) if I can ever remember to.