PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New to the forums.

JCruz
08-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi my name is Juan Cruz, im 24 and live in Catoosa OK. Im married to the best wife around. (Ill tell you why shortly) But currently im in Titusville Florida waiting on the Air Force Reserve. Ive always had a soft spot in my heart for big 4 door v8 cars, Ive owned both a Caprice 9C1 and a 1999 Crown Vic P71. Sadly I traded in my second wife (The Caprice) for a new Silverado about 2 years ago.

My wife knew how sad I was when I traded my 9C1 in, so she decided to get me the best anniversary present ever. A Mercury Marauder. Now, Our anniversary isnt until May of next year, but we decided to start putting money away to have to borrow the least possible, and to get a good look at the market. So far with the exception of one or two eBay cars, Most of them are high milage cars, in different conditions from Good (No car that has racked up 50k miles in the span of 2 years is in excellent shape) to pathetic.

I dont have any real brand loyalty, the big three have all released some great cars, and some steaming piles of dung they slapped a company brand on and tried to feed to the public.

So I was wondering if I could ask some questions to you guys. I see alot of s55 badges and a 300 something badge on pictures in this forum, From what I gathered all the cars are identical except for the colors, and some minor options, Is there more to it than meets the eye?

Also for those of you that have bought used ones, What do you regret (if anything) not checking up on?

Thank you for any help! :beer:

STLR FN
08-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the site Juan. Seems like you have the two best things a wife that understands and a Marauder, which by the way you'll find that there's nothing 'special 'bout these boats. :rolleyes: :D Enjoy...

BillyGman
08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Welcome aboard Juan...... I bought my 03 Marauder new, so atleast part of your post doesn't apply to me I guess. But for what it's worth, I have 32,000 miles on mine now, and I still LUV it!! Ofcourse having a supercharger and headers kind of helps to maintain that LUV, but these cars are just so cool looking, that even when I'm driving real mellow with mine, the car still attracts alot of attention.

They have a nicer interior than the Caprice did, and for a big car, they also take the turns better too. The Marauder in it's factory stock configuration doesn't accelerate from 0-60 MPH like he GM LT1 equiped Caprice did, but after 60 MPH it begins to come on stronger, so in an all-out race, it turns out to be very close stock vs. stock, and on the dragstrip, it pretty much depends on how well the driver of the LT1 equipped car launches his car off the line (I mean how well he gets the car to hook-up).

So the one weak point of the Marauder in the way of performance is definately off the line acceleration. But that's nothing that a set of 4.10 gears, and an after market torque converter with a higher stall speed won't take care of (ofcourse, I went a bit further than that.:D ). And like you, I also haven't any loyalty to any car manufactures either. They don't have any to us, so why should we have to them? I used to own a Vette myself. I must say that these small 4.6L engines are quite durable. They can definately take a pounding. I've put the one in my Marauder to the test many a time, and so far, it's always come through with flying colors.

rayjay
08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Welcome Juan. S55 is the option package designation for the Marauders made in the 60's. This is the 1st full size car I have owned since 1972. I love it, and more importantly my wife loves it too. I bought my 04 new, if I were to buy a used Marauder, my personal preference would be for a 04. Two reasons, far fewer 04s were built than 03's, so more rare and some issues with the 03s were addressed by FLM in the 04s. The tranny is better and the engine does not have the cooling/head issues that some 03s have had. There are a lot of good used MMs out there. You may have to travel to get the one you want. Price seems to be very market and demand driven. In some markets prices for used MMs are higher than people paid for new left over 04s last winter. Check the classifieds here and keep in touch. Members here often list MMs they have seen for sale in their area.

MarauderMark
08-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Also for those of you that have bought used ones, What do you regret (if anything) not checking up on?

Welcome juan :welcome:.The only thing i regreted was not knowing there were other colors available or mine wouldv'e been blue... :D

JCruz
08-21-2005, 04:10 AM
Welcome juan :welcome:.The only thing i regreted was not knowing there were other colors available or mine wouldv'e been blue... :D I didnt know they came in silver! I knew about blue and maroon. But oh lordy do those silver ones look hot. :bows:

rayjay
08-21-2005, 04:26 AM
I didnt know they came in silver! I knew about blue and maroon. But oh lordy do those silver ones look hot. :bows:
not maroon, DTR, Dark Toreodor Red. it changes color depending on light, and only 980 were made.

JCruz
08-21-2005, 04:28 AM
not maroon, DTR, Dark Toreodor Red. it changes color depending on light, and only 980 were made.
I knew someone with a car in that color would chime in with the factory name. :D

Its a great color though, I think Ive only seen black MMs. All 3 of them lol.

03SILVERSTREAK
08-21-2005, 06:17 AM
I knew someone with a car in that color would chime in with the factory name. :D

Its a great color though, I think Ive only seen black MMs. All 3 of them lol.
:congrats: Welcome Juan. My first choice was Black , But when I saw the one that I have now calling me to it , well as you can see its history. enjoy and hopefully we can point you in the right direction...:beer: :chat: :high5: :type:

Rider90
08-21-2005, 06:27 AM
:congrats: Welcome Juan. My first choice was Black , But when I saw the one that I have now calling me to it , well as you can see its history. enjoy and hopefully we can point you in the right direction...:beer: :chat: :high5: :type:
You too huh? When I bought this in October there were 6 Marauders - 3 black, two silver, one DTR. The silver one called my name as well.

Juan, welcome to the forums, here you will find more information than you know what to do with especially if you search past topics.

RoyLPita
08-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Welcome aboard. It took me 2 1/2 years before I found that right one (and afford it, too).

Enjoy the site and keep us posted.

BillyGman
08-21-2005, 10:00 AM
About the 03's vs the 04's, there's very minor differences in the transmissions. They're basically the same transmission. The thing that I like about the early 03's like mine (called the "300A") is that they didn't come with traction control, and personaly I hate traction control. I also prefer Black anyway.

If I was going to buy a used Marauder, I'd look for an 03 that was made between 9/02 and 12/02 although that might be diffficult to find. But the reason for my preference is that from what I've heard, there have been problems with the 03's that were made before 9/02, and the ones made after 12/02 to my knowledge were the 300B and began coming w/traction control. :down:

Dark_Knight7096
08-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Welcome Juan. I really don't have any regrets, the more I think about it though, the more I think I'd rather have a silver one but that's it, no regrets about the car at all.

jgc61sr2002
08-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Juan - Welcome to the MM site. :welcome:

sailsmen
08-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Welcome.

My MM has 48K miles and is in excellent shape!

Not one door ding!

Jolly Roger
08-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Hey Juan,

don't listen to these guys.
wheter you no it or not you are headed for one of the worst additions known to man, it's called MM.
It usually strikes without warning and you don't even know that you are hooked until it's to late.
It is widely known that contact with this website will be of no help for your coming addiction.
So take my advice and run as fast as you can in the oppsite direction while you still can and save yourself.
I was given this advice but chose to ignore it and look at me now.
I require a MM fix at least twice a day and sometimes three times a day.

Seriously Juan,
you are on the right track and I'm sure that you will NOT be disappointed.
These guys are great and you will be in good hands when it comes to important info on your MM. (when you get it):)

JCruz
08-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Heh, Hopefully I can contract the disease to my wife.

Muhahahaha

Maybe we'll get His & Her's MMs.

Nah maybe not. :D

the_pack_rat
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
No regrets here ...

Other than wishing I had the money for another one(his & hers like some here).

RCSignals
08-22-2005, 02:09 AM
.............................. .......

If I was going to buy a used Marauder, I'd look for an 03 that was made between 9/02 and 12/02 although that might be diffficult to find. But the reason for my preference is that from what I've heard, there have been problems with the 03's that were made before 9/02, and the ones made after 12/02 to my knowledge were the 300B and began coming w/traction control. :down:

I'm not completely sure about 'problems' with Marauders built before 9/02.
I think that's a little too general blanket of a statement. There have been many that are fine.

Traction control began with 300B production, late 10/02

Decontenting began about 12/02

Bluerauder
08-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi my name is Juan Cruz, im 24 and live in Catoosa OK.
Welcome to the MM.Net :welcome: and Happy Maraudering !!!! :D

BillyGman
08-23-2005, 02:36 AM
Traction control began with 300B production, late 10/02

Hmmm, I didn't know that. My MM says 10/02 on it, and it doesn't have traction control. So if what you're saying is true, then maybe mine was built in the beginning of that month.

texascorvette
08-23-2005, 06:00 AM
Welcome aboard. The Marauder is like the old Impala SS....heck of a lot of car for the money. My sympathy for the Catoosa thing, though.
Hi my name is Juan Cruz, im 24 and live in Catoosa OK. Im married to the best wife around. (Ill tell you why shortly) But currently im in Titusville Florida waiting on the Air Force Reserve. Ive always had a soft spot in my heart for big 4 door v8 cars, Ive owned both a Caprice 9C1 and a 1999 Crown Vic P71. Sadly I traded in my second wife (The Caprice) for a new Silverado about 2 years ago.

My wife knew how sad I was when I traded my 9C1 in, so she decided to get me the best anniversary present ever. A Mercury Marauder. Now, Our anniversary isnt until May of next year, but we decided to start putting money away to have to borrow the least possible, and to get a good look at the market. So far with the exception of one or two eBay cars, Most of them are high milage cars, in different conditions from Good (No car that has racked up 50k miles in the span of 2 years is in excellent shape) to pathetic.

I dont have any real brand loyalty, the big three have all released some great cars, and some steaming piles of dung they slapped a company brand on and tried to feed to the public.

So I was wondering if I could ask some questions to you guys. I see alot of s55 badges and a 300 something badge on pictures in this forum, From what I gathered all the cars are identical except for the colors, and some minor options, Is there more to it than meets the eye?

Rkammer
08-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Welcome, Juan. I bought my Silver Birch '03 back in June with 18,000 miles on it. It's a very late '03 made the last week of production in June. Flew from Orlando to Boston to get it and drove it home. Only regret was the rust on the rear axle housing and the emergency brake shoes were rusted really badly. problem is solved now and I love the car. I was lucky to get mine for under $20K but looks like prices in some markets are actually moving upwards a bit. Even though these cars are pretty reliable, I'd strongly recommend the Ford Extended warranty plan to at least 75000 miles. I paid about $1000 for it after buying mine and am glad for the piece of mind.

Again, welcome and enjoy your search for a MM.

sailsmen
08-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Some of the early builds had paint issues and a problem with one of the heads.

I have 48K and 100+ runs down the 1320' with no paint or head problems.

The only problems I have had are;
air bag lite - faulty connector
2 bad window switches
a/c compressor clutch
radio replaced
head lite hazed - polished it out.