PDA

View Full Version : Ford extended service plan

python357
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Anyone have a comment on if it's worth getting an extended service plan for my MM. I don't kinow if any of you have seen this mailer from ford but all the plans have a $100.00 deductible and range in price from $1,155.40 to $2,999.80 almost sounds like a waste of money.

www.espfromford.com for more info...

Bradley G
08-22-2005, 06:23 PM
tell us more! present mileage? How many miles do you drive?Do you go Out of town?
Anyone have a comment on if it's worth getting an extended service plan for my MM. I don't kinow if any of you have seen this mailer from ford but all the plans have a $100.00 deductible and range in price from $1,155.40 to $2,999.80 almost sounds like a waste of money.

www.espfromford.com (http://www.espfromford.com/) for more info...

jgc61sr2002
08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
"almost sounds like a waste of money."

Not if you have a problem after 3yrs and or 36K.

[

GreekGod
08-22-2005, 06:35 PM
My ESP was a 3 year and about $900. Deductible is $50 PER VISIT :eek: to dealer as I understand it. I'm thinking I should have saved the money since a simple mod of the CPU could void my warrenty and I bought an ExCalibrator which I haven't installed (YET). :confused: My biggest 'fear' was a bad trans, and then I found out they really aren't all that expensive. Last I checked, I (think) dealer cost on a new (no converter) 4R70W was only $1700.

dflynn5
08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I think it is well worth it. I called the 800 number and I bought the 6 year / 75K with $50 deductible for $1635. I thought it was better value than the $100 deductible listed on the mail out. I put 10% down and the rest is financed by Ford thru 17 payments with zero interest. Not bad at all. I'll feel even better if I get to the end of the warrenty and don't have to use it. :D

Eric91Z
08-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Are these available at any Ford dealer or what is the best way to pick one up? When I pick up a Marauder in the next couple of weeks, there is a chance it will be from a private seller. I plan on getting one still within the factory warranty period and want to get an extended warranty through Ford to pretty much mirror the factory warranty for a 7 year/100,000 mile range - or so. So, where is the best place to buy and how did you get the financing through Ford? Did they offer or was it part of buying your car?

If I pick one up from a Dealership, I will just put it on with the purchase of the car and pay then, other wise, if I buy from a private party, I would like that option of spreading out the payments.

Bascially, anyone that has added a Ford extended warranty after the purchase of a vehicle, how did you do it?

Petrograde
08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking about canceling mine (I'm at 28K) so I can buy headers! :D

MENINBLK
08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
I think it is well worth it. I called the 800 number and I bought the 6 year / 75K with $50 deductible for $1635. I thought it was better value than the $100 deductible listed on the mail out. I put 10% down and the rest is financed by Ford thru 17 payments with zero interest. Not bad at all. I'll feel even better if I get to the end of the warrenty and don't have to use it. :D

You would have gotten a better price from your dealership.
Calling the 800 number gets you the 100% RETAIL price of the warranty with no middle man to split the costs.

If you go to your dealership, they know what the 800 number is asking for,
they know what the plan costs the dealership, and they are willing
to work on a figure for you, somewhere in-between.

My dealership, only asks for $200 over the invoice cost of the warranty.
I purchased the 5yr/100k mile plan w/$100 deductible for $1620 at my dealership.
This gives me an extra 2 years, and lots of time to hit 100k miles.
I've owned my Marauder since 1/2004 and I've got 38,000 miles on it.
So somewhere around 5 years, I'll hit the 100k mile mark...

MENINBLK
08-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Are these available at any Ford dealer or what is the best way to pick one up? When I pick up a Marauder in the next couple of weeks, there is a chance it will be from a private seller. I plan on getting one still within the factory warranty period and want to get an extended warranty through Ford to pretty much mirror the factory warranty for a 7 year/100,000 mile range - or so. So, where is the best place to buy and how did you get the financing through Ford? Did they offer or was it part of buying your car?

If I pick one up from a Dealership, I will just put it on with the purchase of the car and pay then, other wise, if I buy from a private party, I would like that option of spreading out the payments.

Bascially, anyone that has added a Ford extended warranty after the purchase of a vehicle, how did you do it?

You can add the Ford Warranty after the purchase and before the vehicle hits 3 yr/36k miles.
All you need to do is see your salesperson.
Buying it at the time of the purchase is wise because it just gets factored into your loan
if you are financing...

Since the vehicle is over 12 months old, there is an extra $100 fee added on to the price.

In order to choose the best plan, you need to figure out this...

How many miles do you drive in a year?
How many years do you plan on keeping the Marauder?
Hoew much money have you budgeted for your warranty?

When I purchased my 5/100, I figured that I was driving almost 20k/yr.
100,000 miles / 20 = 5 years.
That's how I chose my plan.
No sense in making it a 6 or 7 year plan because I knew
I may hit 100k before the time was up.

You can do the same when you look to choose your plan too.

As far as the deductible goes ?
I stayed with the $100 ded.
For what it costs to make it a $50 deductible, I'd have 4 or 5 claims on the car
to break even with additional cost of the $50 deductible.
I am counting on this car to be very good, and I'm only looking for coverage
on the transmission, engine, HVAC, and engine.

You can pay now or pay later...
I chose to pay later...

Eric91Z
08-23-2005, 05:16 AM
You can add the Ford Warranty after the purchase and before the vehicle hits 3 yr/36k miles.
All you need to do is see your salesperson.
Buying it at the time of the purchase is wise because it just gets factored into your loan
if you are financing...

Since the vehicle is over 12 months old, there is an extra $100 fee added on to the price.

In order to choose the best plan, you need to figure out this...

How many miles do you drive in a year?
How many years do you plan on keeping the Marauder?
Hoew much money have you budgeted for your warranty?

When I purchased my 5/100, I figured that I was driving almost 20k/yr.
100,000 miles / 20 = 5 years.
That's how I chose my plan.
No sense in making it a 6 or 7 year plan because I knew
I may hit 100k before the time was up.

You can do the same when you look to choose your plan too.

As far as the deductible goes ?
I stayed with the $100 ded.
For what it costs to make it a $50 deductible, I'd have 4 or 5 claims on the car
to break even with additional cost of the $50 deductible.
I am counting on this car to be very good, and I'm only looking for coverage
on the transmission, engine, HVAC, and engine.

You can pay now or pay later...
I chose to pay later...

This is a good point. I do plan on keeping the car for a long time and will put a lot of miles on it. Eventually I will retire it to "fun car" status and go with a different daily driver, but I am guesssing it will have 100,000+ miles on it by that time. I do about 25,000 miles per year, so no point doing beyond like a 5/100,000 setup. Thanks for that input. I will be going to the dealer once I get the car picked up.

texascorvette
08-23-2005, 05:52 AM
It's a helluva complicated engine, and Ford has had some problems with transmissions. I bought the 100K warrantee when I bought my '04 in January of this year. You can usually get a break on the warrantee price if you negotiate it as part of the price of the car. They want to sell cars, so you make them discount the warrantee, if they want to sell you a car.

RoyLPita
08-23-2005, 06:39 AM
I plan on buying a 7/60 PremiumCare policy for my MM.

ckadiddle
08-23-2005, 07:04 AM
I think I paid about 1500ish for six year/75000 mile 50 dollar deductible. Purchased from the L/M dealer where I bought the car. I typically buy enough warranty time to cover the time period in which I will be making monthly car payments. We don't put a lot of miles on our cars, so the length of time is more important to me. Can't afford expensive repairs while making car payments is my wacky theory.

MERCMAN
08-23-2005, 07:15 AM
http://midwestpanthers.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33

PM if interested!!

python357
08-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Thank you all for your input it helps alot. I'll have to look the plans over again to make a better informed decision.

Brutus
08-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm thinking about canceling mine (I'm at 28K) so I can buy headers! :D

Same thing I was thinking!

Skiordie53
08-27-2005, 07:06 PM
does anyone knwo if you can cancel these things, im at 31k and too many problems with the car. may look to trade it in after dealer fixes this time around.

fastblackmerc
08-27-2005, 07:19 PM
I plan on buying a 7/60 PremiumCare policy for my MM.
And this is from a man that works a a dealership!! He knows. I bought the extended warranty on my new '87 T-Bird, new '89 (I think) Aerostar, '97 T-Bird and my new '04 MM. On both the T-Birds and the Aerostar the first covered repair after the factory warranty expired paid for the cost of the extended warranty. Both T-Birds needed complete trans overhauls, the '87 twice and the Aerostar needed major A/C work twice. I only paid $50.00 out-of-pocket for each of the repairs.

Bradley G
08-27-2005, 07:26 PM
If you cancel you ESP and it is financed with the car, you will reduce the pay off ammount(the ammount you still owe)No refund money for headers !:P

fifteen years selling for Ford L/M, I'm keeping the ESP.
Probably will up the total mileage, The wife gets it to commute to work
20 months in service @ 32K mi.

Mad4Macs
08-28-2005, 02:14 AM
No ESP? No Way!
Of my 3 transmission failures, 2 happened past the 36k mile marker. The dealership even waived the deductible when it died the 3rd time.
ESP covered my axles being replaced, and recently, it covered this nasty CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK I developed at 48k. Turned out that the sway bar brackets were faulty.
ESP got my hood latch replaced at 50k (the safety latch started flopping around loose under the hood and would not latch).
The rest of my car's failures, and there were many, happened under 36k, so I won't mention them here. If you're getting a Marauder, get the extended warranty.
Or...consider parking it and losing the keys.

Tinaree
08-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Went to the dealer, haggled over it a little, and chose the 6/75 (I think). It was just under a thousand when everything was complete. Basically we wanted a fallback for 3 years of extended warranty. Dealer throws in oil changes.

SergntMac
08-29-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm speaking honestly. I mean no offense to anyone here. If I offend you, I'm SergntMac@aol.com . That said...

If you think you can have your cake and eat it too...Wrong.

The Marauder is an excellent automobile right off the production line. It's sturdy, efficient, and a hoot to drive. Yes, it has it's shortcomings, the '03 300A paint left something to be desired, so did the '03 300A tranny. The rest of the problems are really minor, and we (as predicted by L/M) tend to be picky, and adamant, with our complaints.

Does the extended warranty protect us in our ownership? Ummm...Maybe a lot less than y'all think. IMHO, any serious problem that plagues the Marauder, should have come to the surface long before 3 years or 36 thousand miles expire. OTOH, that's a very long 3 years and 36 thousand miles that I cannot tweak and tune my Marauder to my pleasure.

About the only thing I can tweak in this period of time without raising a warranty rukus, is my tires. I can't add 4:10 gears, which most of us know feel good at the launch. I can't add Denso plugs, a 180 degree stat, and a EEC flash tune, which most of us have said "should have come this way from the factory". I can't improve my air path, my TC stall speed, add the "J" mod Hell, most of the gauge mods void the warranty anyway!

My point is, is that I bought this car to enjoy it.

Adding mods and testing the results of modding it is exactly how I enjoy my Marauder. Do I expect an insurance company to underwrite my experiments and my entertainment? Hell no...

There's nothing wrong with buying some protection against sudden breakdown of systems I do not mod, which seems to be the theme of this thread. However, if you want that protection, you have to agree to not mod your Marauder, and IMHO, this just goes against the grain of why we are involved with this car to begin with. Like owning a Doberman and treating it like a poodle.

Why we want to own a Marauder, why we want to drive it out in the public eye, do great things to it, push it, test it, race it, the list goes on...Is exactly why we bought this car in the first place, yes?

Look at MartyO and his "Legal Knevil" Marauder. Martin was the first to touch all systems, rip everything out and build it all over again. I don't know every detail, but it's an awesome Marauder, and a very professional accomplishment.

If you really love this car as much as I do, and as much as you say you do too, someday, you're going to break it. Get used to that thought, it's going to happen someday. None of us played high school sports without a cup, but owning a Marauder, well, something has to hang out, right?

But...Then you get to enjoy fixing it, which is really part of the enjoyment too. I've rebuilt my engine, my tranny, and my rear end. None of it was cheap, but I got to play a hand, or, two at the the design table, and what's on and in my MM today is all my idea, my research, my judgement and my decision. Yes, my Marauder is all about me. But, this is America (land of the free...), and I used my freedom to mod my MM to my whim. I am pleased with my MM performance, and half of this pleasure stems from me doing what I wanted to do, damn the torpedoes...

Gawd...What a joy! Almost as joyful as driving as fast as I feel I want to, within the common sense restraints of the moment. Must be well over 100 mentions now, where folks have whispered to me "man-oh-man, that is one fine car! You should put it up somewhere, save it!" I listen, I hear, and I wonder why.

Save it for who? Is God going to give me another run at life? Is Ford going to give my OG another run at the warranty? I don't think so. If I drive 34 thousand miles in exactly one year, do I have another two years left? If I drive 4 thousand miles in exactly 2 years, 11 months and 32 days, do I get any extension?

So, I reply with a question spoked a hundred times here. "If you were married to (insert your personal dream woman, but I usually say Jennifer Lopez) would you ****** her? Or, put her up somewhere and save her for another day?

Anyone really interested in hearing the answers? Must be well over 100 times now, that folks have said "yeah, I get it."

When I bought my first Marauder, I bought the extended warranty too. Once I rationalized Reinhart's Stage I kit and bought it, I cashed in on my unused extended warranty, and the proceeds (refund) paid for DR's Stage II kit. I never looked back.

Y'all need to think about this...How many mods would y'all have to pick from, if all of us owners here didn't mod anything until our 3 year/36K mile factory warranty expired. Where would y'all be today, if we all bought the extended warranty option? IMHO, thank God for the MartyOs of the Marauder world. Thank you for TAF's vision, Dennis Reinhart's production, Jerry Wrobleski's tuning, and Jerry Barnes' development. How about Kenny Brown's investment in our future, someone had to do it first, right? And F.I.T. for running with that risk and pinning it all to the wall for us? How about all that, eh?

If you own a Marauder...Tune it, tweak it, punch it, push it, race it, drive it like you stole it. Set it out there like there is no other, take on all comers. Drive it everywhere, never shy. This is what the Marauder represents, what the car is all about. It's a car that was built just for us, and that's in our screen names, damnit! Are y'all that deaf?

Malcontent, rebel, insolent, disresectful, disobediant, defyant, menace, two percenter, outlaw, bad dude...READ! WTF are y'all doing here anyway? You can own a Marauder, but if you're into it and honest about that, your Marauder owns you.

Rust never sleeps...Snooze, you lose.

torinodan
08-29-2005, 07:15 PM
WOW, I had to take a break reading your post Mac. Then I read it again. I agree.

Redster
08-29-2005, 07:25 PM
I view the MM as a grand touring car and that is my plan. I am retiring in a couple of years and I plan to do a lot of traveling. The MM has the performance, the comforts and is just plain fun to drive. Do I want to see the USA in a GM, I don't think so. So the 75K/year warranty should cover me for a long time as I have 9k after 18 months of ownership.
More power for the mod crowd! You can always use mine for a reference point for a stock MM.
Good luck and have fun!!

Redster
08-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Bascially, anyone that has added a Ford extended warranty after the purchase of a vehicle, how did you do it?[/QUOTE]

I bought mine at FordWarranty.com and I'm happy. Saved $500 over what my dealer offered, but I'm not a good negotiator.

DEFYANT
08-29-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm speaking honestly. I mean no offense to anyone here. If I offend you, I'm SergntMac@aol.com . That said...

The Marauder is an excellent automobile right off the production line. It's sturdy, efficient, and a hoot to drive. Yes, it has it's shortcomings, the '03 300A paint left something to be desired, so did the '03 300A tranny. The rest of the problems are really minor, and we (as predicted by L/M) tend to be picky, and adamant, with our complaints.

Does the extended warranty protect us in our ownership? Ummm...Maybe a lot less than y'all think. IMHO, any serious problem that plagues the Marauder, should have come to the surface long before 3 years or 36 thousand miles expire. OTOH, that's a very long 3 years and 36 thousand miles that I cannot tweak and tune my Marauder to my pleasure.

About the only thing I can tweak in this period of time without raising a warranty rukus, is my tires. I can't add 4:10 gears, which most of us know feel good at the launch. I can't add Denso plugs, a 180 degree stat, and a EEC flash tune, which most of us have said "should have come this way from the factory". I can't improve my air path, my TC stall speed, add the "J" mod Hell, most of the gauge mods void the warranty anyway!

Adding mods and testing the results of modding it is exactly how I enjoy my Marauder. Do I expect an insurance company to underwrite my experiments and my entertainment? Hell no...

There's nothing wrong with buying some protection against sudden breakdown of systems I do not mod, which seems to be the theme of this thread. However, if you want that protection, you have to agree to not mod your Marauder, and IMHO, this just goes against the grain of why we are involved with this car to begin with. Like owning a Doberman and treating it like a poodle.

Why we want to own a Marauder, why we want to drive it out in the public eye, do great things to it, push it, test it, race it, the list goes on...Is exactly why we bought this car in the first place, yes?

Look at MartyO and his "Legal Knevil" Marauder. Martin was the first to touch all systems, rip everything out and build it all over again. I don't know every detail, but it's an awesome Marauder, and a very professional accomplishment.

If you really love this car as much as I do, and as much as you say you do too, someday, you're going to break it. Get used to that thought, it's going to happen someday. None of us played high school sports without a cup, but owning a Marauder, well, something has to hang out, right?

But...Then you get to enjoy fixing it, which is really part of the enjoyment too. I've rebuilt my engine, my tranny, and my rear end. None of it was cheap, but I got to play a hand, or, two at the the design table, and what's on and in my MM today is all my idea, my research, my judgement and my decision. Yes, my Marauder is all about me. But, this is America (land of the free...), and I used my freedom to mod my MM to my whim. I am pleased with my MM performance, and half of this pleasure stems from me doing what I wanted to do, damn the torpedoes...

Gawd...What a joy! Almost as joyful as driving as fast as I feel I want to, within the common sense restraints of the moment. Must be well over 100 mentions now, where folks have whispered to me "man-oh-man, that is one fine car! You should put it up somewhere, save it!" I listen, I hear, and I wonder why.

Save it for who? Is God going to give me another run at life? Is Ford going to give my OG another run at the warranty? I don't think so. If I drive 34 thousand miles in exactly one year, do I have another two years left? If I drive 4 thousand miles in exactly 2 years, 11 months and 32 days, do I get any extension?

So, I reply with a question spoked a hundred times here. "If you were married to (insert your personal dream woman, but I usually say Jennifer Lopez) would you ****** her? Or, put her up somewhere and save her for another day?

Anyone really interested in hearing the answers? Must be well over 100 times now, that folks have said "yeah, I get it."

When I bought my first Marauder, I bought the extended warranty too. Once I rationalized Reinhart's Stage I kit and bought it, I cashed in on my unused extended warranty, and the proceeds (refund) paid for DR's Stage II kit. I never looked back.

Y'all need to think about this...How many mods would y'all have to pick from, if all of us owners here didn't mod anything until our 3 year/36K mile factory warranty expired. Where would y'all be today, if we all bought the extended warranty option? IMHO, thank God for the MartyOs of the Marauder world. Thank you for TAF's vision, Dennis Reinhart's production, Jerry Wrobleski's tuning, and Jerry Barnes' development. How about Kenny Brown's investment in our future, someone had to do it first, right? And F.I.T. for running with that risk and pinning it all to the wall for us? How about all that, eh?

If you own a Marauder...Tune it, tweak it, punch it, push it, race it, drive it like you stole it. Set it out there like there is no other, take on all comers. Drive it everywhere, never shy. This is what the Marauder represents, what the car is all about. It's a car that was built just for us, and that's in our screen names, damnit! Are y'all that deaf?

Malcontent, rebel, insolent, disresectful, disobediant, defyant, menace, two percenter, outlaw, bad dude...READ! WTF are y'all doing here anyway? You can own a Marauder, but if you're into it and honest about that, your Marauder owns you.

Rust never sleeps...Snooze, you lose.Now this is a great post that can stand on its own! Holy ***** Mac! That really sums it up! Thanks you for clearly spelling it out. Mac, I plan to share this with my Mustang buddies!

Warranty? Sure, for a vehicle that will not be modded. DefyantWifes new car (we are shopping) will prolly get the ESP.

When the Marauder came along, I knew the basics (tune, gears minor bolt ons) were going to be done, so no ESP. Considering where the car is now, I am glad I did not get the extra warranty.

Geez Mac that was one damm good post!

Mad4Macs
08-30-2005, 03:20 AM
I bought mine because my SHO broke down again, and because I really liked the seats :lol:

Bradley G
08-30-2005, 03:38 AM
Guess who gets to fix my A/C if it breaks? seat heaters, radio, braking system,(for now),heating system,

Defroster, Electrical(most), steering components,ECT ECT.
If it does break(warranty related), or If I get a flat tire, who pays me and tows the car? if I am more than fifty miles from home, who pays trip interupt?Who pays rental car expense?I hope nothing breaks but machines will break and mine has numerous times already.Twenty months into service, is it all of a sudden going to stop breaking, 40 more months into service?
Warranty stays!:D

Eric91Z
08-30-2005, 04:02 AM

I bought mine at FordWarranty.com and I'm happy. Saved $500 over what my dealer offered, but I'm not a good negotiator.[/QUOTE]

Checked out their website and it looks like they are offering those plans for new cars only, not used ones. Guess I can contact them and see if they will offer it for a user car still under the factory warranty.

Bradley G
08-30-2005, 04:13 AM
A new vehicle ESP/ Extended Service Plan, may be purchaced from any Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Dealership, with one month or one thousand miles remaining on the origonal Factory Warranty.
New car warrantys are total vehicle mileage including the 36 mo. /36,000mi., used cars are stated mileage.(term of the contract)
If you are beyond 36mo./36,ooo mi., a vehicle inspection by a Ford L/M dealership is required.
After 100,000 miles no factory warranty is available.

Eric91Z
08-30-2005, 04:23 AM
OK, I have a question then. The OASIS report (thanks RoyLPITA (Brian)) for the Marauder I am working on getting shows a current 84/70K Premium Care ESP with $0 deductible. And I have been told that a transfer on that can be done for $50. My question is, the selling dealer is not a F/L/M dealer, they are a Lexus dealership. Is this an option I will still have - to transfer the warranty with the purchase? $50 for the 7 year/70K miles Premium Care with $0 deductible would be much better than spending $1300 or so for a ESP plan after the purchase.

Rkammer
08-30-2005, 05:24 AM

Rust never sleeps...Snooze, you lose.
Well, I agree with much of what is said in this response but since it seems to be predicated on not being able to mod the car at all in order to be covered under the factory, let me offer this:
My LM dealer's service manager (over 15 years with FLM) has stated that they will honor the warranty on my MM with my 4.10s and the K&N setup. They will not, however, honor warranty on the ring and pinion themselves. He also agreed that the colder plugs would not void the warranty either. He knows that I've added a tune to the EEC and also knows that whenever I bring it in for warranty service the factory tune will be in the Computer. That said, I think if you have a cooperative dealer you will not have a warranty problem with the basic mods most of us install. So, in my situation, the ESP becomes an asset to my enjoyment of my MM. And, trust me, I do enjoy it every day. I'll take the ESP every time under these circumstances. :)

ahess77
08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
All insurance does is one thing: mitigate risk for your particular case. The company backing the insurance isn't doing it out of the good of their heart, they expect to make money by selling you an extended warranty plan.

They expect that on average it will cost less to repair your car for the covered items and mileage than you are paying. Some people won't have any claims, some will have claims far in excess of the premiums paid, but on average the insurance company will make money.

So if you think you need this insurance you should ask why. Do I think this car is a POS and I expect to make out great with this insurance, then why did you buy it in the first place? Can I not afford to repair this expensive car when something breaks, if not then perhaps you bought more car than you can afford. Do I want the piece of mind of not having $1000 when needed for repairs, then perhaps you need discpline to put those preimum payments in the bank for the inevidable repair.

Why wouldn't you take the risk and keep the money yourself instead of lining the pockets of someone who will take the risk?

HookedOnCV
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
I will tell you a little story that I just experienced over the last few weeks about a modified car and extended warranties. Now first off I will be perfectly straight with all of you and tell you that my experience was NOT with Fords ESP, but with another highly rated company that I checked out very carefully before sending them my money.

I purchased the warranty 1 month after I purchased the car with 1350 miles on it. At 15,000 miles I decided to install a supercharger to make the car much more fun to drive (I agree 100% with Mac's comments above). I had some issues related to the s/c that caused other parts to fail. For example, my belt alignment was not 100% from the s/c and I shredded a belt. Parts of the belt wrapped around the shaft of the power steering pulley and shaft, and it basically took out the PS pump. I didn't try to replace the PS pump under the manufacturers warranty or the extended warranty. I figured that it was my issue, not theirs.

I did have a few things such as the leather wrapped steering wheel replaced at the dealer under the manufacturers warranty without any issues from the dealer. I had them do some servicing (radiator flush), but I did most (oil changes, trans fluid changes, etc.).

Now at 48,000 miles (past the 3/36K warranty from Ford), my transmission fails. I went ahead and found another low mileage transmission, and shopped around for the best labor/shop rate to R&R the transmission. I figured this was another failure due to my modifications (suspect that the snap ring holding in the intermediate clutches failed due to engine RPM over 6k) and had honestly forgotten about my extended warranty at this point. Well $900 later, I thought about it and submitted my receipts to the warranty company a few days later, and they denied the claim, stating that I didn't have pre-authorization. Fair enough...I was going to argue, but before that happened, I had another trans related failure. The ESP (electronic shift pressure) solenoid failed (open circuit) per the diagnostics code I was reading from my SCT 9100. I verified this with my Fluke meter at all the connections right up to the transmission.

I brought the car into the same shop that replaced my trans just weeks earlier. They were very fair in their shop rates and great in their competence.

This time I had the shop call for a pre-authorization prior to fixing the problem. The warranty company wanted to send out an inspector to look at the car, even though the shop verified my diagnosis. Two days later the guy shows up, looks at my s/c under the hood, and tells the shop that he will contact me. I called to find out what was happening with my car, and found that my claim was denied...again. The reason...because my car was modified from stock. I argued that this was an electrical component that failed, and it has nothing to do with the mechanical modifications I had made to the engine. Their response was that unless I return the car to the original specifications from the factory, they would not approve any future claims. I argued the Magnusson/Moss act - they said they hadn't heard of it, and that their contract states what it states and I agreed to it when I signed on the dotted line.

Bottom line is this...I plan on getting as much of a pro-rated refund as possible, but I will still lose $500 or more on this. They have never paid a claim and they never will as long asw my s/c stays under the hood.

My advice, if you are going to modify your car (and I suggest you do to make the most out of having fun every single day), don't bother with an extended warranty. Save you money for a future repair, or spend it on a future modification.

I am frustrated that I lost money, but I don't regret putting in the s/c and driving it over the last three years with it's new found power.

Todd

Rkammer
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I will tell you a little story that I just experienced over the last few weeks about a modified car and extended warranties. Now first off I will be perfectly straight with all of you and tell you that my experience was NOT with Fords ESP, but with another highly rated company that I checked out very carefully before sending them my money.

I purchased the warranty 1 month after I purchased the car with 1350 miles on it. At 15,000 miles I decided to install a supercharger to make the car much more fun to drive (I agree 100% with Mac's comments above). I had some issues related to the s/c that caused other parts to fail. For example, my belt alignment was not 100% from the s/c and I shredded a belt. Parts of the belt wrapped around the shaft of the power steering pulley and shaft, and it basically took out the PS pump. I didn't try to replace the PS pump under the manufacturers warranty or the extended warranty. I figured that it was my issue, not theirs.

I did have a few things such as the leather wrapped steering wheel replaced at the dealer under the manufacturers warranty without any issues from the dealer. I had them do some servicing (radiator flush), but I did most (oil changes, trans fluid changes, etc.).

Now at 48,000 miles (past the 3/36K warranty from Ford), my transmission fails. I went ahead and found another low mileage transmission, and shopped around for the best labor/shop rate to R&R the transmission. I figured this was another failure due to my modifications (suspect that the snap ring holding in the intermediate clutches failed due to engine RPM over 6k) and had honestly forgotten about my extended warranty at this point. Well $900 later, I thought about it and submitted my receipts to the warranty company a few days later, and they denied the claim, stating that I didn't have pre-authorization. Fair enough...I was going to argue, but before that happened, I had another trans related failure. The ESP (electronic shift pressure) solenoid failed (open circuit) per the diagnostics code I was reading from my SCT 9100. I verified this with my Fluke meter at all the connections right up to the transmission.

I brought the car into the same shop that replaced my trans just weeks earlier. They were very fair in their shop rates and great in their competence.

This time I had the shop call for a pre-authorization prior to fixing the problem. The warranty company wanted to send out an inspector to look at the car, even though the shop verified my diagnosis. Two days later the guy shows up, looks at my s/c under the hood, and tells the shop that he will contact me. I called to find out what was happening with my car, and found that my claim was denied...again. The reason...because my car was modified from stock. I argued that this was an electrical component that failed, and it has nothing to do with the mechanical modifications I had made to the engine. Their response was that unless I return the car to the original specifications from the factory, they would not approve any future claims. I argued the Magnusson/Moss act - they said they hadn't heard of it, and that their contract states what it states and I agreed to it when I signed on the dotted line.

Bottom line is this...I plan on getting as much of a pro-rated refund as possible, but I will still lose $500 or more on this. They have never paid a claim and they never will as long asw my s/c stays under the hood.

My advice, if you are going to modify your car (and I suggest you do to make the most out of having fun every single day), don't bother with an extended warranty. Save you money for a future repair, or spend it on a future modification.

I am frustrated that I lost money, but I don't regret putting in the s/c and driving it over the last three years with it's new found power.
ToddPoint taken. My comments advocating the ESP were based upon mods which were either not visible to the Dealer or, if visible, not of any significance to the factory operation of the car. In your case, adding 100+ horsepower was just too much of a stretch to expect the warranty company to pay your claim. I respectfully submit that if you knew you were going to add a S/C to your car, you probably shouldn't have bought the warranty in the first place. :)

Eric91Z
08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
I am interested in the ESP because I will be driving the car on a regular basis and putting miles on it. While I would love to do a S/C and other items, that will not happen for a while. My list of mechanical modifications will be a cold air intake, XCal2, and maybe (at some point) 4.10 gears. Other wise I will look at doing sway bars, control arms, and Watts link and just drive it for now. By the time I can afford to do bigger items, the car will be paid for and probably out of the ESP. At that point I would be looking at doing a build up of new motor and supercharger and have fun from there. Also, by that time, I expect some pretty major changes (for the better) in the financial situation and the Marauder will probably become more of a fun car at that point than daily driver...

Just my thoughts. Now I just need to verify for sure how to transfer the Premium Care warranty that shows on the OASIS report when I am buying the car from a non-F/L/M dealership.

ncmm
08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
I remember being offered an ESP when purchasing the vehicle. One of my questions was did it cover tires, they said yes. My question is. . .since I didn't get the ESP are my stock tires covered? :confused:

:mad2: I picked up a couple nasty screws in one of the rears yesterday and it's leaking, so I've put on the spare and will let her sit till I get around to repairing or at worst replacing it.

Eric91Z
09-03-2005, 04:38 PM
OK, I have a new one here on the ESP. I want one for the car. The OASIS report shows that the previous owner had done a 7 year/60K and it still shows available on the car. I called my local L/M dealer who referred me to the Ford ESP 800 number. Talked to the lady there and she verified that I just need to get a signed waiver from the previous owner stating they will allow the transfer and take that to any local F/L/M dealer here, pay the $50 and it will get transferred.

So, I am pretty excited about this. So, I try to contact the salesman at the dealership I am buying my Marauder from (it is a Lexus) to see about getting some help getting in contact with the previous owner since the Marauder was traded in there on a new Lexus. After about 4 days I finally get a voice from the salesman this morning stating that the Finance Manager has advised him that he told the previous owners what they need to do to get the refund on that extended warranty and it could take up to 6 weeks for that to go through. And that he said it is the previous owners right to get that refund back and why should I get it for such a low price? Now, I have no problem with the previous owner getting their money back if they want to, but he doesn't have to be a DICK about it. This has been one of the worst buying experiences I have ever had and it is not even over yet. I still have another week until I get to see the car in person and actually pick it up.

I digress. My question is, since it is currently showing an active Ford ESP, will I be able to get another ESP of my own with that other one still on there or will I end up having to wait until that one is cancelled? Anyone know or have an idea on that?

RCSignals
09-03-2005, 10:52 PM
.............................. .... After about 4 days I finally get a voice from the salesman this morning stating that the Finance Manager has advised him that he told the previous owners what they need to do to get the refund on that extended warranty and it could take up to 6 weeks for that to go through. And that he said it is the previous owners right to get that refund back and why should I get it for such a low price? .....................

That is only because the F&I manager wants to sell you one of their offerings of extended warranty to make a huge profit. It won't be a Ford ESP.
I'd guess the F&I manager didn't know anything about this car having the extended warranty until you asked the salesman to look into the transfer of it.

If the previous owner does get a refund, I think you can go to any FLM dealer to purchase another.

Eric91Z
09-04-2005, 05:09 AM
That is only because the F&I manager wants to sell you one of their offerings of extended warranty to make a huge profit. It won't be a Ford ESP.
I'd guess the F&I manager didn't know anything about this car having the extended warranty until you asked the salesman to look into the transfer of it.

If the previous owner does get a refund, I think you can go to any FLM dealer to purchase another.

See, after my dealings with this place, I would be thinking pretty much the same thing. And there is no way I am purchasing anything other than this car from them. Since all I need is a signed agreement from the original owner, I might end up trying to contact them on my own. I have done a search on the previous owners name, which showed up on the OASIS report, and there are 2 close to the dealership (they are from that area). I will just trying sending him a letter and see what happens. Couldn't hurt, I guess.

RoyLPita
09-15-2005, 04:47 AM

PM if interested!!

You've got one!!!!!

Bradley G
09-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Ford has included tire(s) under the 3 yr. 36,000 mile factory warranty.

This was a result of the Explorer/Ranger ect.? Firestone fiasco.
Won't help you in a "Road Hazard" situation, except for the tow or tire change.
Some Extended warranty companies will cover "road hazard" typically thier is a flat reimbursement ammount.

I remember being offered an ESP when purchasing the vehicle. One of my questions was did it cover tires, they said yes. My question is. . .since I didn't get the ESP are my stock tires covered? :confused:

:mad2: I picked up a couple nasty screws in one of the rears yesterday and it's leaking, so I've put on the spare and will let her sit till I get around to repairing or at worst replacing it.

RoyLPita
09-19-2005, 11:35 AM
I got my warranty at the price quoted on the link. Thanx again to Mercman for setting this up. If you need or want an ESP for your vehicle, PM him. He will set you in the right direction.

RCSignals
12-21-2005, 02:50 AM

PM if interested!!

Thank you for that Mr red shoes.

The post linked to is gone now, but I did copy the details from it, and using it, was able to get a good deal from Dealer.

LVMarauder
01-04-2006, 10:25 PM
I got a 75K ESP today. Seemed like a good idea since im at 33.2 K and I just had oil pan gasket fixed and had to take it back today for a crack in the Power steering hose. They know all about my mods and havent ever said a thing about it and fix the little thing i break on accident like the window control module tabs that break easily.