PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck, guys. Prayers are welcome too

Mike Poore
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm offf to the Hospital to have the orthopod drill holes in my knee bones and thread a new ACL through the holes and screw it fast at (hopefully) both ends. I'll be back home tomorrow afternoon, but heavily sedated. (hospitals have the best drugs y'know) I'll have a report on Friday, if possible. :(

Thanks for all the good wishes at MMV III, and especially, Father Keith for the blessing.

MarauderMark
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Hope everything goes ok for ya buddy..Enjoy the drugs.. :D

RoyLPita
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Having this done is not what I would call a "nice birthday gift".

Bluerauder
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm offf to the Hospital to have the orthopod drill holes in my knee bones and thread a new ACL through the holes and screw it fast at (hopefully) both ends. I'll be back home tomorrow afternoon, but heavily sedated. (hospitals have the best drugs y'know) I'll have a report on Friday, if possible. :(

Thanks for all the good wishes at MMV III, and especially, Father Keith for the blessing.
Good luck on the surgery, Mike !! Here's to a speedy recovery !! :up: We'll be thinking of you.

BillyGman
08-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Mike, be sure to get the hi-perf unit installed in there, and if I were you, I'd opt for the lower gear ratio too. Less stress on the knee joints ya know. :D Just kidding bud.......I wish you the best my friend. ;)

oldekid
08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Best of luck to you Mike. Take care and be back soon.

DEFYANT
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Hang in there Mike. You'll be up to speed in no time!

Hack Goby
08-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Gods speed on your recovery Mike.I too have two bad knees and repalcements are in my future.

Eric91Z
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Best of luck on the surgery and God Speed on a safe and full recovery.

juno
08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Best of luck and a quick recovery!

Haggis
08-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Mike, Chris and I will keep you in our prayers for the next few days. We will pray for a speedy and full recovery.

Donna
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Mike,

many positive thoughts, prayers and crossed fingers (and paws :D ) are being sent your way for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. LOL....don't take too many of those hospital drugs.

I enjoyed meeting you and Barb at MVIII and spending some time with you both.

Donna, Keema & Tigger, too :D

dwasson
08-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Good luck Mike. You'll have your jump shot back in no time.

fastblackmerc
08-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Good luck Mike. You'll have your jump shot back in no time.
Good luck & get well soon!!

When I had my ACL replaced they took part of a ligament from my left leg and a couple of bone slivers. Drilled two holes then inserted the ligament, then the bone sliver then used stainless steel screw(s) to hold the sliver tight against the ligament. Eventually the bone grows into the hole and your as good as new. The Dr. also injected some pain killer into the wound and I didn't use any of the pain pills he prescribed.

MyTMerc
08-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Good Luck Mike,

Make sure they do a FOD check and account for all the screws before they sew you back up.

Shaun

Wires
08-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Best wishes for a good outcome and a speedy recovery.

N40GL
08-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Do you want to have 'em put in the 4.10 gears I won while you're at it?

Good luck, my friend.

the_pack_rat
08-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Best wishes & a fast recovery.

SergntMac
08-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I got some new knees years ago, 15 on the left, 10 on the right. The surgery is nothing compared to the post surgery physical therapy. THIS is going to kick your azz. Best wishes, my friend, you're in my prayers.

Rider90
08-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Good luck! Take it easy on this new set :P

rayjay
08-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Prayers and best wishs, hope you are on your feet soon.:)

grampaws
08-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Our thoughts are with You! Speedy recovery and lotsa good drugs

and cute nurses...Good luck!

Bradley G
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Best of the Best dude!
God bless you and yours!
Had a great time meeting you and Barb!

ncmm
08-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Best wishes for good results and a fast recovery. :burnout:

Smokie
08-24-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm praying it will all go well and for a speedy recovery.:)

Bluerauder
08-24-2005, 05:13 PM
I got some new knees years ago, 15 on the left, 10 on the right.
So, when you walk ... you pull to the left correct?? :rofl: J/K

merc406
08-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Good luck Mike, sorry I missed ya at the WDC, couldn't stay long, you'll be good as new soon.

sailsmen
08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Good luck, we will pray for a good out come.

DefyantExWife
08-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Good luck hun..... you'll be fine !

TheDealer
08-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Good Luck, everything will go fine. I'll keep you in my prayers. Ray :cool:

MM03MOK
08-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Here's hoping you had a successful day, Mike. :lovies2: and prayers.

:bunny2:

texascorvette
08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Fingers crossed and a prayer that the re-hab isn't too unbearable.

bigslim
08-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I hope everything turns out well for you Mike. You are indeed a class act.

Mad1
08-24-2005, 09:53 PM

Mike,

Good luck. I had my ACL rebuilt orthoscopically. It was an outpatient surgery by the guy who does the knee surgeries for the U.S. ski team. I got a video of it too ... it looks really cool. Hope yours go as well, I'm about 8 years away from my surgery now and you'd never know it had been done. (except for the little 4-inch scar in front from the patella graft.)

Enjoy rehab. You'll never forget the first time you take the stairs again without the little stutter step.

Mad1
Jeremy

martyo
08-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Good luck Mike! Let's us know how you make out.

seans
08-25-2005, 05:43 AM
Good Luck!!

NAVCHAP
08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Let us know how it all worked out. I've been on the road for a few days, but got home yesterday afternoon. Hadn't been able to post anything. Continuing to pray for your recovery, -kjs-

jfclancy
08-25-2005, 10:18 AM

Best of luck !! You are in our Prayers Take care!

Joe Clancy :beer: :beer:

Bluerauder
08-26-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm offf to the Hospital to have the orthopod drill holes in my knee bones and thread a new ACL through the holes and screw it fast at (hopefully) both ends.
OK Mike ... it's about time for an update. :rolleyes: Time to put the pills away and get back to the keyboard. How's it going now, buddy? :D

Mike Poore
08-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Good Luck, everything will go fine. I'll keep you in my prayers. Ray :cool:
As usual, Ray, you're the guy thinking of others. We have you on our prayer list and hope your surgery went well. :)

jgc61sr2002
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Mike - Hope you are feeling better. :D

Mike Poore
08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
OK Mike ... it's about time for an update. :rolleyes: Time to put the pills away and get back to the keyboard. How's it going now, buddy? :D
Thanks for the good wishes and especially the prayers, with these two teams on my side, how could we fail?

They worked on my poor knee about two hours and kept me in recovery about an hour. We stayed in a hotel the night before, (didn't want to fight the Washington traffic in the morning) and were at Shady Grove Adventist at 7:45AM. After the prep and paperwork, they hauled me into the surgical suite at 9:50, and I was home by 3PM. Dr. Peterson said the surgery went very well and we could remove the pain pump in 48 hrs, then start on the perkaset RX I got filled on the way home. So far there's no pain, or discomfort, but I was warned that there may be some once the pump's gone. The cool thing is, he told me that once the bandage and pump are gone I should start bending the knee from a sitting position, and start my leg lifts once again. I'm doing lots of ankle rotations already.

For those unfalmiliar, the cruicate ligament is one of the two that form an "X" between the leg bones and keep the knee from rotating in or out, otherwise you'd fall when planting and rotating in a new direction. The surgical repair is simple, but a rather grusome affair. What they do is take a hand drill (Porter Cable I think) and a long 1/4" drill bit and drill straight through both bones below the knee cap about 4" and come out above, at the same distance, on the upper bone. then they stick a wire through the hole(s) and fish the new ligament (cadaver in my instance) up through the hole and screw it fast at the top & bottom.

Hopefully the discription didn't gross you guys out.:banned:

jgc61sr2002
08-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Mike - Glad all went well. :D

Mike Poore
09-28-2005, 04:04 PM

:pooh:Just back from the orthopod's office, and after 5 weeks post-op, tomorrow, he said throw away the crutches, and the brace; but don't enter any marathons or play contact sports for another 6 months. There's been no pain since the third day, and I've been doing PT at GO-Sport in Gettysburg three days a week, plus my regular stuff at home the other days. He says I could be the poster child for ACL patients.

I need to be careful, and will wear the brace, when needed, but it's good news and a year and a half of hard work to get to where I am with my poor knee.

Thanks to all my friends for your good wishes, and especially the prayers. :hug2:

2003DOHC
09-28-2005, 04:57 PM
:pooh:Just back from the orthopod's office, and after 5 weeks post-op, tomorrow, he said throw away the crutches, and the brace; but don't enter any marathons or play contact sports for another 6 months. There's been no pain since the third day, and I've been doing PT at GO-Sport in Gettysburg three days a week, plus my regular stuff at home the other days. He says I could be the poster child for ACL patients.

I need to be careful, and will wear the brace, when needed, but it's good news and a year and a half of hard work to get to where I am with my poor knee.

Thanks to all my friends for your good wishes, and especially the prayers. :hug2:

Great to hear that you have had what sounds like an excellent recovery from the surgery. My wife had a complete hip replacement on 09/19/05 and is also doing vey well. She still has a long road to a full recovery

Mike Poore
09-28-2005, 05:41 PM
My wife had a complete hip replacement on 09/19/05 and is also doing vey well. She still has a long road to a full recovery
Just don't let her plant her azz in the Lazy Boy, and start and stay with PT as soon and often as her Doc will allow. :)

rayjay
09-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Great to hear that you are doing so well! Its just amazing what they can do. Six years ago this month I shattered my wrist falling off a ladder. There was nothing left of my wrist, just bone chips. The orthopod rebuilt it with bone from my pelvis. I was back to work after seven weeks. An excellent physical therapist worked with me for about 3 months after the external fixater was removed. The final outcome is my wrist is 100%, no disability at all. The initial prognosis was 40-50% mobility. Do what the PT tells you, even if it hurts like hell. It works :D

2003DOHC
09-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Just don't let her plant her azz in the Lazy Boy, and start and stay with PT as soon and often as her Doc will allow. :)

That will not be a problem heck she wants to go back to work already.PT has helped her quite a bit already.

Mike Poore
09-29-2005, 02:53 AM
That will not be a problem heck she wants to go back to work already.PT has helped her quite a bit already.
Good for her! Attitude and commitment, are the secret and will account for 90% of her recovery. As our old friend Yogi Berra would say, the other 50%'s luck. :cheer:

LordVader
09-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Best of luck to you Mike! I know how painful a bum knee can be (possessor of two), so we wish you a speedy recovery.