PDA

View Full Version : Quake in NC

prchrman
08-25-2005, 03:56 AM
At 11:09pm last night trying to go to sleep...it was like thunder, dynomite, sonic boom, kinda thing...epicenter of 3.8 in Hot Springs, NC about 20 miles from home...I know you west coasters are all used to this kind of thing but around these here parts we are not...must have been because I washed the MM...I just knew it would happen, evertime I wash my car it comes a earthquake...willie

fastblackmerc
08-25-2005, 04:07 AM
At 11:09pm last night trying to go to sleep...it was like thunder, dynomite, sonic boom, kinda thing...epicenter of 3.8 in Hot Springs, NC about 20 miles from home...I know you west coasters are all used to this kind of thing but around these here parts we are not...must have been because I washed the MM...I just knew it would happen, evertime I wash my car it comes a earthquake...willie
You'd think N.C. would not have any earthquakes.... found a few links on the web:

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/haz/quake.htm

http://www.high-point.net/dept/fire/em/eq.htm

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/states/north_carolina/

If the links don't work just "google" earthquakes north carollina.

DefyantExWife
08-25-2005, 05:24 AM
a 3.8 sounded like dynomite / sonic boom ?? I cant imagine what a "nice sized" one sounds like then. Like 5.0 and above.

dwasson
08-25-2005, 06:23 AM

Are you sure it wasn't a meth lab explosion?

BillyGman
08-25-2005, 07:28 AM
At 11:09pm last night trying to go to sleep...it was like thunder, dynomite, sonic boom, kinda thing...epicenter of 3.8 in Hot Springs, NC about 20 miles from home...I know you west coasters are all used to this kind of thing but around these here parts we are not...must have been because I washed the MM...I just knew it would happen, evertime I wash my car it comes a earthquake...willieHmmm, ..."Eathquakes in DIVERSE places"..... uh?

THE_INTERCEPTOR
08-25-2005, 07:35 AM
I heard about it on the news this morning. Didn't feel a thing out here in Fayetteville. :)

BillyGman
08-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Didn't feel a thing out here in Fayetteville. :)That's only because the shockwave takes a long time to travel through those 22" wheels.

THE_INTERCEPTOR
08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
That's only because the shockwave takes a long time to travel through those 22" wheels.

;) :D :pimp:

prchrman
08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Hmmm, ..."Eathquakes in DIVERSE places"..... uh?

Billy...you should do a study on the number of major earthquakes over the last 200 years...very interesting...willie

Agent M79
08-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Sheesh... and I thought it was one to many chimichongas.

BillyGman
08-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Billy...you should do a study on the number of major earthquakes over the last 200 years...very interesting...willieyep, earthquakes, and oil spills too. Major ones that don't even get much publicity. (".... and the third part of the fish in the sea will die...") .How close are we? :eek:

mpearce
08-26-2005, 05:08 AM
I suppose any place thats got mountains would be subject to earthquakes. Hot Springs being on the border of Tennessee is probably located in the mountains, however small they may be. Those North Carolina mountains didn't grow quietly.

-Mat