PDA

View Full Version : Geo's Marauder formula

Geo
09-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Hello:

I just joined the group. I don't own a Marauder but would like to sometime soon. I bought my '94 Impala SS new and it's a keeper. One of the reasons I liked the Impala was that it was like walking into a dealership in the 70's and buying a muscle car (based on a '77 frame). I was born in 1970 and 70's cars are my favorite. The Marauder is likely the only car that would be able to do that again for me as it is based on a '79 frame. I appreciate the mods done to the rear suspension in '98 (Watt's) and the mods done to the front suspension and steering in '03.

I am a fan of low-end torque, however, but after reviewing in my mind all alternatives I concluded that the most realistic way (keeping fuel economy, reliability and a warranty) is to do the following:

-some type of cold-air induction in front of the engine (I hear that the stock system is the best flowing of any Ford product -better be with all that room). At least a K&N filter.

-headers (proper size for more TQ and fitment). Perhaps pipe-tricks to aid TQ like 2 and 2 going in to 1 (but I am just guessing here).

- X-pipe dual exhaust (I know there is someone who makes these to fit Crown Vics) specially designed for the "sweet-spot" for Marauder applications. Will add much-needed TQ at lower levels if designed right. My Impala came stock with resonators, I had read somewhere that resonators may contribute to strategic torque; something about how cutting top-end noise (through turbo-style mufflers) aids horsepower but if you cut bottom-end noise, you would be adding TQ aswell. In my mind, a careful blend of both (turbo mufflers and turbo reonators if you will) would be perfect. Note how the Borla system for 94-96 Impalas have their own version of resonators to compliment their mufflers. Also note (I am almost sure) that the 77-78 Lincoln Mark Vs had a resonator on the exhaust system (single) for the 400, but the 460 (not needing help in the TQ department) didn't have any (the 460 had duals).

- Metal Matrix driveshaft (I am aware of the distortion that the stock unit creates; didn't Ford use a better OEM part years ago only to dis-card it because of material cost?)

- 4.10:1 rear gear (this would undoubtedly take advantage of the operating range of the engine and should accomodate the added TQ curves of the X-pipe and headers nicely)

- transmission shift-kit. I hear from magazine reports that the trans "hunts" for gears more often than desired. One report thought that if the trans didn't shift into 2nd, at WOT, as "soon" as it did (something about 5700 vs. a desirable 6000 rpm) that the car could have shaved a few tenths of it's quarter mile. I realize it may take some time for somebody to come out with a proper electronic shift kit for this car. It took quite a while for a 4L60-E shift kit to come out for Impalas ('94 was the first year for electronic controls for that trans, hence it's "E" designation).

-computer chip upgrading (I know my Impala can be re-programmed for specific mods)

I had also read recently in a Mopar magazine an ad for classic Rallye rims custom-made with sizes of 16, 17 and 18 inch. I remember that Chrysler rims could be mounted on Ford products (in 70's RWD applications). I imagine the Marauder still uses the same bolt patterns as the Ford's of the 70's. If so, these custom-rallyes would fit. The reason I mention this is because I would like to install such rimes and paint them black with the exception of the center-part which would make the rim look like a dog-dish cop car rim. This, ofcourse, applies to any of you who may appreciate a "law enforcement" look; granted this is not for everybody. The nice thing with this mod is that you would be able to obtain that look AND keep your tires and handling.

Has anybody thought of putting in zMAX lubricant into the MOD motor for protection. I don't know if this product is what it claims to be as I have never used it.

One last note, blueovalnews.com keeps on talking about how Panther's are susceptible to gas-tank explosions if hit hard enough. I am skeptical about these claims as it only seems to happen to police cars (obviously these cars are being hit from the rear when the cruiser is parked on a shoulder pulling somebody over). How often would we be parked on a highway shoulder. I can understand the current Mustang having problems since there isn't much room between the bumper, tank and rear axle housing but the Panther should have plenty of room. As far as I am concerned the Marauder would be no different from buying a 70's machine (my 78 Monaco and 94 Impala are 70's type cars); just don't park in front of a moving semi!

Since '94, I thought Mercury should build a Marauder to compete (or Ford a Galaxie). I was quite happy to see talks start to happen by '99.

So, any thoughts on the above! Just thinking about the above (with the optional sunroof being promised) makes me drool.

GEO

tetsu
09-02-2002, 07:10 AM
I've been vacillating wildly on exactly what I want to do to my MM.

For a while, I plan on daily driving mine. So, major torque increases would actually be undesirable.

I think that I may do only a chip and tstat/plugs to start and in a couple years when I garage it go for more major mods like a blower and NOS.

After trip to the strip, I've pretty much decided that I don't want to fool around with it too much until I'm ready to go after low 12s or better.

I wish there was a decent solution to getting cold air to it though. This engine is alot like myself and starts to fall asleep in hot humid weather. I just dont see a decent way of doing in for Wisconsin though if you need to drive it in the rain/snow.

I guess I'll just wait for my blower and maybe have it fed by a hood scoop. :) Those tires blow on wet road anyways. ;)

Johnny

GarageMahal
09-02-2002, 09:34 AM
tetsu wrote: "Those tires blow on wet road anyways"

I have actually been impressed by the wet traction. Just my two cents.

jta

Leadfoot
09-03-2002, 02:06 PM
One last note, blueovalnews.com keeps on talking about how Panther's are susceptible to gas-tank explosions if hit hard enough. I am skeptical about these claims as it only seems to happen to police cars (obviously these cars are being hit from the rear when the cruiser is parked on a shoulder pulling somebody over). How often would we be parked on a highway shoulder. I can understand the current Mustang having problems since there isn't much room between the bumper, tank and rear axle housing but the Panther should have plenty of room. As far as I am concerned the Marauder would be no different from buying a 70's machine (my 78 Monaco and 94 Impala are 70's type cars); just don't park in front of a moving semi!

Some of those police cars were hit by semis traveling over 70 mph. Not many vehicles would come out in good shape after that impact. Don't worry about it.