PDA

View Full Version : Compaq laptop question

dwasson
08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Can any of you help with a Compaq Laptop question?

I have a Compaq Presario 905 and it looks like either the motherboard or the power supply is going away. It runs until it gets warm then goes to a blue screen.
I cant afford a new laptop right now but I can probably afford a used one. Do any of you know what I would need to do to move this 40 gig hard drive into a new laptop? Which Compaq models would the hard drive be plug compatible?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Smokie
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Can any of you help with a Compaq Laptop question?

I have a Compaq Presario 905 and it looks like either the motherboard or the power supply is going away. It runs until it gets warm then goes to a blue screen.
I cant afford a new laptop right now but I can probably afford a used one. Do any of you know what I would need to do to move this 40 gig hard drive into a new laptop? Which Compaq models would the hard drive be plug compatible?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Before you spend money, make sure your vents are not blocked and the cooling fan works properly, it sounds like it's overheating, they are known for that.

BK_GrandMarquis
08-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Before you spend money, make sure your vents are not blocked and the cooling fan works properly, it sounds like it's overheating, they are known for that.
My thoughts exactly. I have a PC that I over clocked and the cooling fans I have are not enough to cool the CPU. The PC will overheat and blue screen unless I turn on the A/C.

dwasson
08-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Well I observed it closely and it appears that the fan is intermittant. I can keep the computer running if I set it on a blue ice pack.

What's involved in changing the fan?

BK_GrandMarquis
08-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Well I observed it closely and it appears that the fan is intermittant. I can keep the computer running if I set it on a blue ice pack.

What's involved in changing the fan?

Usually nothing more than soldering a wire to the board or maybe just splicing in to the OEM connector if it uses one. Not sure if you could find one just the right size to fit in the laptop though.

twolow
08-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Most locally owned computer shops don't charge a whole lot to fix something as simple as a fan...go that route.

My local pc shop charged me like 30 or 40 bucks to work on my pc in the past.

Smokie
08-27-2005, 04:51 AM

What's involved in changing the fan?If you are not used to working on circuits and using a soldering iron, take it to a shop, you may have a bad fan or a bad connection feeding power to fan, the operation of the fan should be constant, not intermittent.

fastblackmerc
08-27-2005, 06:18 AM
If you are not used to working on circuits and using a soldering iron, take it to a shop, you may have a bad fan or a bad connection feeding power to fan, the operation of the fan should be constant, not intermittent.
Almost all recent vintage laptops have plug-in components. I work on all types of computers including laptops (I'm an Intel Top Gun for a major "blue" computer manufacturer). If you want to send it to me I'd be happy to look at it. PM me.

twolow
08-27-2005, 06:44 AM
http://img.dell.com/images/global/brand/ui/homelogo/en.gif

fastblackmerc
08-27-2005, 06:54 AM
http://img.dell.com/images/global/brand/ui/homelogo/en.gif

No the other blue..... Dell doesn't have any repair technicians in the field. In fact we do alot of their repair work....

CRUZTAKER
08-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Join the club Dan.:depress:

My Compaq X1000 took a dump at MV-III. It has overheated for so long the hard drive is on its last leg and needs replaced. Easy to do. A couple screws and it slides right out. I don't believe my fan is working at all. I keep it on a muffin warming tray when in use to keep it elevated.

Mine is still under warranty thank god. I just need to back up the good stuff.

Here is a neat link to HP/Compaq's diagnostic website. Run the program 'Health Check'. It's very informative. Allow active-x for the sweep to run properly.
Good luck.;)