PDA

View Full Version : Uh, Oh, bad guys?

Mike Poore
08-29-2005, 03:05 PM
I ordered a new Nikon CoolPix from an outfit calling themselves Megacamera. http://www.megacameras.com/ last Monday, the 22nd and selected FedX, two day shipping.

No camera, after a week, and I can't get anyone on their customer answer line, or any response to my emails. Anyone know anything about these guys, or do business with them? Looks, at first blush, like they may not be running an honest business. :rolleyes:

I've already called the credit card and checked on filing a dispute. BTW, they've already posted the charge to my card.:(

Tinaree
08-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Maybe they're in New Orleans?

DEFYANT
08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Mike, check PMs

SergntMac
08-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I visited the site you posted, Mike, and I checked the things I usually look at before I buy on-line.

The "about us" and "contact us" pages just took me in circles, and my overall impression is that this site is more focused on their sales pitch, and less on customer service. The only way to reach them is by signing up and waiting for a reply, or leaving a message at a toll-free phone number. No physical address offered, years of service/in the business, no friendly pics of "our staff" nor any mention of them, or him.

I did call the toll-free number, 888.882.MEGA (6342) one more time, and got an an answer! The gentleman sounded Oriental, or, Pacific Islander.

MC "ello?"
me "hello, is this MegaCamera?"
MC "Yes."
me "Where are you guys located?"
MC "Brooklyn New York"
me "okay, I was wondering, because I've been waiting for my merchandise"
MC "okay"
me "so, like nothing I ordered is coming from a warehouse down south"
MC "no"
me "so, it's on it's way, right?"
MC "yes"
me "okay, thanks. Just checking my order, you know?"
MC "okay"
me "okay...Bye"
click...

IMHO, this doesn't look good, Mike, stop pay on the order ASAP, let them come back to you?

Just my .02C, good luck my friend.

Mike Poore
08-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I visited the site you posted, Mike, and I checked the things I usually look at before I buy on-line.

The "about us" and "contact us" pages just took me in circles, and my overall impression is that this site is more focused on their sales pitch, and less on customer service. The only way to reach them is by signing up and waiting for a reply, or leaving a message at a toll-free phone number. No physical address offered, years of service/in the business, no friendly pics of "our staff" nor any mention of them, or him.

I did call the toll-free number, 888.882.MEGA (6342) one more time, and got an an answer! The gentleman sounded Oriental, or, Pacific Islander.

MC "ello?"
me "hello, is this MegaCamera?"
MC "Yes."
me "Where are you guys located?"
MC "Brooklyn New York"
me "okay, I was wondering, because I've been waiting for my merchandise"
MC "okay"
me "so, like nothing I ordered is coming from a warehouse down south"
MC "no"
me "so, it's on it's way, right?"
MC "yes"
me "okay, thanks. Just checking my order, you know?"
MC "okay"
me "okay...Bye"
click...

IMHO, this doesn't look good, Mike, stop pay on the order ASAP, let them come back to you?

Just my .02C, good luck my friend.
Yeh, I got a note from Charlie, and he, at least got to talk to someone. I've sent two emails, one to their "customer service" email, and one to their general email box + tried a dozen or so times to get 'em on the toll free # without success. I'll wait a few days, then order from another outfit who has a better reputation. These guys weren't ranked. No loss, though, the credit card co won't let 'em screw me, as all I have to do is fill out the dispute form they're sending. BTW, the charge is already on my card, according to the card company.

Skiordie53
08-29-2005, 07:26 PM
i just got a Nikon Coolpix 5600 from staples for $229 with free 128mb memory card and overnight shipping. may want to check them out.

BK_GrandMarquis
08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I also had a problem like this before. I ordered my camera years ago but it's like one of those bait and swap scams. I ordered my camera when it was brand new, very hard to get your hands on. The place said that they had them for a very low price. I went for it. I also ordered it with two day service or similar. After a few days, I still didn't receive that camera. I called back and they said that they were backordered. I said "If you didn't have it in stock, you should have told me for one and for two not charged my card.". After a bit of a run aroudn from them trying to keep my order, I finally got the charge refunded. I then went to a more reputable online dealer with Bizrate or something similar.

Stillwell Avenue in Brooklyn, I know that area. I could have a friend just drop by to see if they have a storefront and see if they have the model you are looking for is in stock if you want. Let me know. He works not too far from there.

Mad1
08-29-2005, 10:51 PM
I ran the WHOIS info on the web site.

Registrant:
Coremega Enterprises Inc
2023 Stillwell Ave # 1
Brooklyn, New York 11223
United States

Administrative Contact:
Jones, Geoffrey eme@coremega.com
Coremega Enterprises Inc
2023 Stillwell Ave # 1
Brooklyn, New York 11223
United States

I also confirmed the address through the Web (Google) and the New York state's department of commerce filings. (You can search for incorporation filings in New York here ... http://appsext5.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/corpsearch.entity_search_entry )

Don't you love having a business journalist on tap for stuff like this? :)

Hope this helps you resolve this issue.
Also, the site and company isn't very old. Both were registered in summer of 2004.

Jeremy
Mad1

martyo
08-30-2005, 04:39 AM
Check 'em out on the BBB website. Also see if they have the required license with the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs.

Take no prisoners!

fastblackmerc
08-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Check 'em out on the BBB website. Also see if they have the required license with the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs.

Take no prisoners!
File a complaint with the State Attorney General's office in the state you live in and in the state the company does business, also file a compalint with the BBB's in both states.

shakes_26
08-30-2005, 05:29 AM
Piece of advice to all. Never do business with these shops in Brooklyn. I'd say 99% of them are scammers. thre basic scams they run are:

1. When you call and order, if you dont buy their overpriced add on sales pitch (warranty, lenses, cleaning kit, etc), they dont ship the item, its on 'backorder'.
2. They send you the item, but its missing certain key items, such as... propriatary battery, etc
3. My favorite, they simply never send you anything, and you spend months trying to get your $$ back. The CC companys will help with that.

And in deference to the honroable gentleman from NY, If they aren't a member of the BBB, they wont be listed by them. NY Department of Consumer Affairs is a better bet, IMHO.

ckadiddle
08-30-2005, 07:10 AM
I just love the way you guys respond when one of us gets screwed. It's wonderfull having such resources. Mess with one Marauderer, and you are messing with all of us!

Bluerauder
08-30-2005, 07:19 AM
No camera, after a week, and I can't get anyone on their customer answer line, or any response to my emails. (
Mike, hope this works out in your favor and that the shipment was just delayed. :D If not, you've gotten lots of advice on where to take this to the next level.

ridinclean
08-30-2005, 07:45 AM
I too have ordered a camera from one of these NY based online electronic wholesalers and my experience wasnt the greatest. When I called to place my order the salesman was very rude and acted as if he was pissed b/c he couldnt suggest anymore addons for me to buy. I refused everything that he offered and ended up going with the 3-5 business day shipping. Two and a half weeks later and a couple phones call that got nowhere I received my camera. Which was perfectly brand new and met up to my expectations. I just probably wont do business with one of these BS merchants again. Ive heard many bad reviews just like yours but I took a chance, in the end it turned out ok though. Good luck with getting your camera. By the way I wouldnt worry much if you dont, I work for Citibank and deal with disputes all day long and you shouldnt have any trouble disputing it as "merchandise not received." Just make sure you do your part to complete and return the form in a timely fashion, your CC company is on your side.

Mike Poore
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
I ran the WHOIS info on the web site.

Registrant:
Coremega Enterprises Inc
2023 Stillwell Ave # 1
Brooklyn, New York 11223
United States

Administrative Contact:
Jones, Geoffrey eme@coremega.com
Coremega Enterprises Inc
2023 Stillwell Ave # 1
Brooklyn, New York 11223
United States

I also confirmed the address through the Web (Google) and the New York state's department of commerce filings. (You can search for incorporation filings in New York here ... http://appsext5.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/corpsearch.entity_search_entry )

Don't you love having a business journalist on tap for stuff like this? :)

Hope this helps you resolve this issue.
Also, the site and company isn't very old. Both were registered in summer of 2004.

Jeremy
Mad1
I'm convinced they're scammers. In the first place, you guys can call 'em, first try; but I can't get anything but a "sorry ..." message, because I assume they have a block on my number. New customers (read suckers) can get through, like Charlie & SgtMac did, first time, when they called.

I'll just order another camera from a reputible outfit, and let the credit card company deal with them, and of course, file complaints with the proper devisions of PA and NY governments. I suspect they delay as long as possible, thus making their profit on the float, and never sell anything. Neat scam, huh? When things get hot for 'em they'll just set up another website, and operate under a new name.

Of course, we say, since I won't lose any money, no harm done, right? The thing is, we all pay, just a little, when the bastages continue to pull scams such as this one.

I wonder what would happen if everyone reading this post would call Megacamera's toll free number (1-888 882-6342) and ordered lots of stuff accidently giving incorrect credit card info and addresses? :shot:

Mike Poore
09-01-2005, 03:39 AM
Well, I guess it's official; I've been had, and I've filed a complaint with the New York Attorney General's office.

Nice birthday present, HUH? $519.36 lesson in how not to conduct business on the internet.

The upside is, we all learned from my stupidity, and when you figure the cost to MM Net member, since this thread has been viewed, 299 times, it works out to $1.73 per view. Of course as more folks look at it, the cost per view goes down, and soon it will be a triffling amount, not worth mentioning.

All kidding aside, I don't think I will suffer any financial loss so we'll post it as a lesson learned.

Meanwhile, my new CoolPix 7900 is on it's way from Sam's Club.

Um, I paid $347; anyone know of any great deals where I could have done better at one of the online NYC camera camera shops?? :rofl:

Thanks to Jeremy and everyone else for your help and advice.

(wish I knew someone who could stop in their shop, Coremega Enterprizes, 2023 Stillwell Ave, #1 Brooklyn, and while looking at a VERY expensive camera, accidently drop it on the floor.) ;)

martyo
09-01-2005, 04:27 AM
(wish I knew someone who could stop in their shop, Coremega Enterprizes, 2023 Stillwell Ave, #1 Brooklyn, and while looking at a VERY expensive camera, accidently drop it on the floor.) ;)

I'm on my way.

Damn I am a klutz.

ckadiddle
09-01-2005, 06:18 AM
I'm on my way.

Damn I am a klutz.I am darned klutzy too, marty. When I bend over to pick up whatever expensive item I've dropped accidentally, I usually end up kicking it or stepping on it, compounding the damage.:eek:

Mike Poore
09-01-2005, 06:22 AM
I am darned klutzy too, marty. When I bend over to pick up whatever expensive item I've dropped accidentally, I usually end up kicking it or stepping on it, compounding the damage.:eek:
Darn, I wouldn't want guys like you and Marty in my camera store.;)

DEFYANT
09-01-2005, 06:24 AM
I wish I was near by...

What can we do from a distance?

Mike Poore
09-01-2005, 06:42 AM
I wish I was near by...

What can we do from a distance?
I can get their lat & lon coordinates; do you think we could call in an air strike, or send over a couple of goons?? :gangster:

MM03MOK
09-01-2005, 07:02 AM
I can get their lat & lon coordinates; do you think we could call in an air strike, or send over a couple of goons?? :gangster:40°35'51.09" N, 73°59'07.15" W

Mike Poore
09-01-2005, 07:22 AM
40°35'51.09" N, 73°59'07.15" W
Oh, Mary! :lovies2:

Are you and Bob contemplating a road trip? :gunfire:

I can get Ladyhawke to print up some maps. :D

Cheeseheadbob
09-01-2005, 08:34 AM
All I need is an azimuth, and my friends at APG (Aberdeen Proving Grounds) can brush the cobwebs off ATOMIC ANNIE and the problem will be solved. Might lose a couple of decent Chinese groceries though....:D
40°35'51.09" N, 73°59'07.15" W

Mad1
09-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Do you think we could call in an air strike, or send over a couple of goons?? :gangster:

I've always wanted to break into gooning, but never had the chance before. :)

Mike Poore
09-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Got my paperwork, today, to file the complaint (dispute) against the megacamera guys. As Marty says "take no prisoners" and I gather from my talk with the fraud girl at Visa, they'll go after these guys with all the resources at their disposal.
I'll keep you posted.:banned:

Slowpoke
09-02-2005, 02:27 PM
I googled the address and appearantly there is a coffee shop at the same address. Perhaps a call to them could shed some light on these folks.

Cafe Expresso (718) 996-6166 Cuisine: Cafe, 2023 Stillwell Ave Brooklyn, NY

Mike Poore
09-03-2005, 03:25 AM
I googled the address and appearantly there is a coffee shop at the same address. Perhaps a call to them could shed some light on these folks.
Cafe Expresso (718) 996-6166 Cuisine: Cafe, 2023 Stillwell Ave Brooklyn, NY
Yeh, that's them; Megacamera, booth #3. It's the slimy little bastage with the cell phone and laptop. He steals internet service from the widow who lives in the apartment, just above him. :beatnik:

67435animal
09-03-2005, 05:14 AM
I ordered a new Nikon CoolPix from an outfit calling themselves Megacamera. http://www.megacameras.com/ last Monday, the 22nd and selected FedX, two day shipping.

No camera, after a week, and I can't get anyone on their customer answer line, or any response to my emails. Anyone know anything about these guys, or do business with them? Looks, at first blush, like they may not be running an honest business. :rolleyes:

I've already called the credit card and checked on filing a dispute. BTW, they've already posted the charge to my card.:(

Mike, I have ordered from http://www.bigondigital.com/ and they were very good.