PDA

View Full Version : Toll roads

Eric91Z
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
OK, in my plans to fly to Chicago next week to drive home my "new" Marauder I have a question about toll roads. It looks like, from MapQuest anyway, that I will take I-88 West to I-80 and then on to Des Moines from there. Anyway, it says that I-88 is a Portions Toll. Does this mean there is a tool to use that stretch? If so, how much is that usually? And do I need exact change with me?

Never been on a toll road so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SergntMac
09-02-2005, 12:25 PM
OK, in my plans to fly to Chicago next week to drive home my "new" Marauder I have a question about toll roads. It looks like, from MapQuest anyway, that I will take I-88 West to I-80 and then on to Des Moines from there. Anyway, it says that I-88 is a Portions Toll. Does this mean there is a tool to use that stretch? If so, how much is that usually? And do I need exact change with me? Never been on a toll road so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
I-80 is free, I-88 is pay. If you have an Illinois I-Pass, 40 cents per toll both. If you have cash, 80 cents per booth. Be warned, many toll boths are under reconstruction and very congested. Attended lanes will make change, better yet, pick up a roll of dimes and use the unattended lanes.

IMHO...If you are buying your MM in the Naperville area, find and follow State Route 59 south, it will take you to I-80, and you avoid the tolls and construction. This is the most direct route out of town and heading west on I-80. Using the I-88 is taking you out of your way. You may save as much as two hours on your drive, due to congestion, construction and driving out of your way.

If you have your e-mail enabled, I can send you my cell number, you're welcome to call when you get local. Happy motoring!

Eric91Z
09-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I-80 is free, I-88 is pay. If you have an Illinois I-Pass, 40 cents per toll both. If you have cash, 80 cents per booth. Be warned, many toll boths are under reconstruction and very congested. Attended lanes will make change, better yet, pick up a roll of dimes and use the unattended lanes.

IMHO...If you are buying your MM in the Naperville area, find and follow State Route 59 south, it will take you to I-80, and you avoid the tolls and construction. This is the most direct route out of town and heading west on I-80. Using the I-88 is taking you out of your way. You may save as much as two hours on your drive, due to congestion, construction and driving out of your way.

If you have your e-mail enabled, I can send you my cell number, you're welcome to call when you get local. Happy motoring!

Thanks for the input. I am all for missing construction and tolls. I will take 59 South to I-80 and go from there.

Yes, my email is enabled.