PDA

View Full Version : magnaflows or flow 50s ???

thePunisher
09-05-2005, 02:41 PM
i know this has been beaten to death... forgive me...ive done a search but im still torn between the magnaflow or the flow master stainless 50 series. has anyone heard both ? im just wondering which one sounds more agressive. as of now my exhaust is all stock. im not planning on changing the tips..i just want to weld some better sounding mufflers in. i heard the mags but cant find a sound byte of the 50 series flow....has anyone heard both? thanks in advance.:)

Blackened300a
09-05-2005, 02:50 PM
I have Cherry Bomb Vortex Tuned mufflers and I love the sound of them. They dont drone and have a great sound when you mash the pedal. I was going to go with flowmaters til the owner of the muffler shop had me listen to the cherry bombs on his mustang, I was sold! $200 Welded installed and a lifetime warranty. Couldn't beat it

DEFYANT
09-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Magnaflow = drone

2 chamber Flowmaster = drone

Ford Duel Mode Mufflers = Nice

thePunisher
09-05-2005, 03:07 PM
the drone doesnt bother me all that much...im used to it from my truck...but i definitely want to keep it stainless...i wouldnt think cherry bomb would make a stainless muffler....

DEFYANT
09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
If you do not mind drone, I would suggest the Magnaflows. I had them on the MM w/ the Kooks set up. I really liked the way the car sounded, but it was way too loud inside with the family in the car.

When they broke in they were...... defiant.

I found the Ford DMs give you the best of both worlds.

Blackened300a
09-05-2005, 03:47 PM
the drone doesnt bother me all that much...im used to it from my truck...but i definitely want to keep it stainless...i wouldnt think cherry bomb would make a stainless muffler....
Stainless steel for sure. And Backed with a Million Mile Warranty Like Borla

FordNut
09-05-2005, 04:23 PM
I like my Edelbrock Performer RPM stainless mufflers with ceramic packing. Pretty loud, but no drone.

Joe Walsh
09-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Magnaflows look awesome and sound awesome, but as 'Defyant' said...THEY ARE LOUD!
Very nice at idle and when the throttle is JUST BARELY OPEN, but as soon as you crack the throttle.....VROOOOM!!

Ask 'Bluerauder' how loud they were when we passed under the overpasses and I punched it on they way back from Milan!!! :eek:

StevenJ
09-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah my car has magnaflows. It's loud but not that loud. I don't know how much louder it is than stock being my car didn't have stock mufflers when I purchased it. I do love the magnas though being they have a nice drone to them and sound great when accelerating. Is it true that a good set of hipo mufflers give you an extra 5 hp at the flywheel? Probably won't do much for performance anyway. They do sound good though.

hitchhiker
09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
If you do not mind drone, I would suggest the Magnaflows. I had them on the MM w/ the Kooks set up. I really liked the way the car sounded, but it was way too loud inside with the family in the car.

When they broke in they were...... defiant.

I found the Ford DMs give you the best of both worlds.
Does anyone have part numbers for the Ford Dual Mode mufflers for our MM's?

Thanks,

David

DirtyDog
09-05-2005, 08:58 PM
I had Flowmasters on for about 9 months and then put the Magnaflows on with the Kooks system. I liked the deep throaty, big block sound of the Flowmasters better. Both sets have a droan, just at different speeds. The Magnaflows flow better because they are straight through.

1stMerc
09-05-2005, 09:19 PM
i know this has been beaten to death... forgive me...ive done a search but im still torn between the magnaflow or the flow master stainless 50 series. has anyone heard both ? im just wondering which one sounds more agressive. as of now my exhaust is all stock. im not planning on changing the tips..i just want to weld some better sounding mufflers in. i heard the mags but cant find a sound byte of the 50 series flow....has anyone heard both? thanks in advance.:)
If you really want sound you are going to have to get rid of the stock tips, if you go with the 18" magana's. Just switched to them from Flow Delta 40's and bought are too quiet (kept stock tips as well). I do like the sound of the magna's over the flows thouh. 50s are supposed to be even quieter than 40 series just deeper tone, and a nice idle note.

Don't want to get rid of stock tips either so i am going to look into drilling some holes in the resonator flange at 12, 4, and 8 o'clock for a little more umph.

DEFYANT
09-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Does anyone have part numbers for the Ford Dual Mode mufflers for our MM's?

Thanks,

David
Here ya go:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #a9a9a9 1px solid" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=header-02 style="PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top>DUAL MODE MUFFLERS
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=std-text-small>M-5230-BP2* </TD></TR><TR><TD class=std-text-small style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px">http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 6631</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #a9a9a9 1px solid" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=std-text-small style="BORDER-RIGHT: #a9a9a9 1px solid" vAlign=center align=middle width="50%">http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/Part/Tn/M-5230-BP2.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I got mine cheeper from this same site a few months ago :confused:

Shop around... I think DR sells them...

They really sound great after about 15 trips down the track!!!

BUCKWHEAT
09-06-2005, 04:29 AM

I have had both. The three chamber flowmaster 50's with stock exhaust added a nice modest sound without any drone at speed. Adding Dennis's ceramic Cobra headers added a louder sound but still without the drone. I then went to Kooks with Magnaflows & got loud sound and drone. Drone is bad, but so far not bad enough that I am spending money to fix it.

john

Smokie
09-06-2005, 05:41 AM
i know this has been beaten to death... forgive me...ive done a search but im still torn between the magnaflow or the flow master stainless 50 series. has anyone heard both ? im just wondering which one sounds more agressive. as of now my exhaust is all stock. im not planning on changing the tips..i just want to weld some better sounding mufflers in. i heard the mags but cant find a sound byte of the 50 series flow....has anyone heard both? thanks in advance.:)Maybe you already heard this: CLICK (http://www.crownvic.us/~hwycruiser/marauder/videos/smokey%20magnaflows.wmv) Stainless Steel Magnaflows, no drone.

Architect
09-06-2005, 07:17 AM
I found the Ford DMs give you the best of both worlds.[/QUOTE]
Can you tell me a little more about how these work and how they sound?
Does a second chamber open up at full throtle? or does it by-pass a chamber?
Is it really loud when this happens?:eek:
Sorry...go lot's of questions, But thanks for you input...:beer:
Walt.

67435animal
09-07-2005, 12:40 PM

I had 40 series Flows on mine. I loved them; but, my wife thought they were a llittle loud. If you're interested in them, I'll sell them to you for 100 OBO.

thePunisher
09-07-2005, 02:52 PM
man i just ordered a set yesterday...otherwise i would have bought them from you....:( i should see them tomorrow...