PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Mercury Marauder

Nitrous Al
09-08-2005, 03:25 PM
This probably sounds very stupid, but I'm building a "1990" version of the Mercury Marauder. I like the box cars better than the newer GMs. I just got my Flowmaster 40-series (#42443) mufflers and Marauder exhaust tips via UPS the other day. I'm going to get my baseline numbers soon and I'll keep everyone posted with the mods. Any Boston area guys want race when I'm done? :D

hitchhiker
09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
.....:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

SouLRioT
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
There is a guy with a 99 GM that has almost everything Marauder inside/outside of it. I dont know if he is on the site, but he would be one to get with. PS the only way you would beable to tell its not an MM is the Tan interior color.

Nitrous Al
09-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Any Marauder engines for sale or am I better off with a '96-'01 Cobra or Mark VIII engine? S-L-E-E-P-E-R car!!!

StevenJ
09-08-2005, 03:54 PM
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/images/350%20450%20Crate%20Engine.jpg

I'd get one of these 350hp beauties from Sean Hyland. It's a bit price but I think it is worth it. Then again, if you really don't have much budget, a MVIII engine would probably be the best way to go. It is up to you though. That fully built modular 4v crate motor is $8,000 btw. http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/mustang-crate-engines.shtml

I don't think it is a bad buy.

Nitrous Al
09-08-2005, 04:11 PM
$8000, is out of my price range, but fell in love with the 32v DOHC V8 after driving one. I'll find one cheap somewhere. Watchout world, that ain't no 150 hp 5.0L GM.

BigMerc
09-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Don't get ANYTHING from Sean Hyland, you'll be happier

MarauderMark
09-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Al gotta post some pics would definantly like to see your version .It sounds interesting..Here a site that may help it has some nice engines new and uesed ..
http://www.karkraft.com/

And richer..:up:

twolow
09-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I have seen a black early 90's GM that was done up like a MM, wheels and all but it wasn't the 1990 box model.

I too would love to see it. Seems like with yours being a 5.0 and a endless list of 5.0 enhancements available that you would just keep what you got start with the 302 enhancements/modifications/bolt ons.

Mike Poore
09-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Any Marauder engines for sale or am I better off with a '96-'01 Cobra or Mark VIII engine? S-L-E-E-P-E-R car!!!
Just a thought, but you can get a lot of "crate" engines for a lot less money that will fit your engine bay and give you tons of space, if you're not dead set on a 32V motor. I like the idea of a (much) larger displacement engine with forged pistons and stronger rods & crank. Take a look in the Ford Racing book, or Summit Racing. One more thing, don't even think about going to a 5 or 6sp gearbox, and, be thinking auto trans. :twocents:

Petrograde
09-08-2005, 04:33 PM
MarauderMark beat me to the KarKraft plug. I've seen several used 4.6 DOHC engines on the site.

...remember. The Lincoln Avaitor has the same engine, and it may be cheaper?

DEFYANT
09-08-2005, 09:19 PM
There is a guy with a 99 GM that has almost everything Marauder inside/outside of it. I dont know if he is on the site, but he would be one to get with. PS the only way you would beable to tell its not an MM is the Tan interior color.

That car was a neat clone!! A few of us were looking at it at MVIII like.."Its a MM...but somethign is not right....hmmm, interior is tan.... everything else looks right...hmmm....maybe he swaped out the MM interior for tan..... ( I checked the vin) NOPE WHOA!!!!"

Nice Clone though..;)

Donny Carlson
09-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Okay, wake up call here, guys. That fella with the Marauder painted with color shifting flames? Sold it on Ebay for $15,000.00.

Why even BOTHER when you can buy a real, no schit, Marauder for this kind of money?

Maybe it's because my knee hurts, but, seriously, I see this like somebody trying to make an airplane out of an old washing machine just because you don't owe anything on the washing machine. And you can buy a real airplane that doesn't need thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours to make it fly for not a whole lot more than you'd wind up throwing away on the washing machine.

Disclaimer: Who the hell am I to criticise how someone else wastes their money? I paid to take perfectly good parts off my car to put on even more expensive replacement parts.

RCSignals
09-08-2005, 09:44 PM

Sounds like the one that was at MV2

Rider90
09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I paid to take perfectly good parts off my car to put on even more expensive replacement parts.
It's so true, don't we all... :baaa:

Bowman9
09-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Seems like with yours being a 5.0 and a endless list of 5.0 enhancements available that you would just keep what you got start with the 302 enhancements/modifications/bolt ons.

I agree, you can make a lot of power out of a 5.0 with modifications.
And on top of that you would probably have better torque numbers.
I like the idea of a monster "box" body, wider tires and wheels, remove some chrome trim...etc

Ezbok58a
09-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Okay, wake up call here, guys. That fella with the Marauder painted with color shifting flames? Sold it on Ebay for $15,000.00.

Why even BOTHER when you can buy a real, no schit, Marauder for this kind of money?

Maybe it's because my knee hurts, but, seriously, I see this like somebody trying to make an airplane out of an old washing machine just because you don't owe anything on the washing machine. And you can buy a real airplane that doesn't need thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours to make it fly for not a whole lot more than you'd wind up throwing away on the washing machine.

Disclaimer: Who the hell am I to criticise how someone else wastes their money? I paid to take perfectly good parts off my car to put on even more expensive replacement parts.
Because its a challenge, take me for example. I want to eventually get this car to run what the supercharged Marauders run, maybe faster:rolleyes:

Now I could've saved myself the trouble and bought a Marauder from the start, but its been done, and frankly its the easyway out.

I can't resist a challenge, Just like a 90 Marauder would be awsome, but it'll be a challenge and more importantly Something Different.

ADE 1000
09-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Just a thought, but you can get a lot of "crate" engines for a lot less money that will fit your engine bay and give you tons of space, if you're not dead set on a 32V motor. I like the idea of a (much) larger displacement engine with forged pistons and stronger rods & crank. Take a look in the Ford Racing book, or Summit Racing. One more thing, don't even think about going to a 5 or 6sp gearbox, and, be thinking auto trans. :twocents:

Agreed. Drop a 460 crate motor in it. :cool:

rdvldog1
09-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Another place to check is Mustang Part Specialties in Winder, Georgia. Their website is www.stangparts.com (http://www.stangparts.com). Those guys specialize in late model mustang parts. I was actually thinking about dumping a 4v motor into my 96 gt convertible(before I decided to sell it) and these guys had a few complete 4v engine assemblies available. If you want the whole driveline( motor, 5-speed tranny) you are looking at about $5000-6000. That includes motor and all accessories, along with the computer and wiring harnesses. Good Luck.

Motorhead350
09-09-2005, 01:47 PM
This probably sounds very stupid, but I'm building a "1990" version of the Mercury Marauder. I like the box cars better than the newer GMs. I just got my Flowmaster 40-series (#42443) mufflers and Marauder exhaust tips via UPS the other day. I'm going to get my baseline numbers soon and I'll keep everyone posted with the mods. Any Boston area guys want race when I'm done? :D
Damnit you beat me to the punch! :cheesed: I wanted to create one of those in like 10 years when I can afford it on my own. My suggestions to you would be to skip the 4.6 and get the original big block from the 60's and swap out the rear end of the body for a crown vics to get the 2 tail lights instead of the long skinny ones. Good luck and post some pictures I really wanna see this! :2thumbs:

Nitrous Al
09-09-2005, 03:24 PM
You guys have great ideas and now I'm torn. I originally pictured a Dark Toreador Red (DTR) '90 GM with Marauder wheels and exhaust tips on the outside and a '03 Marauder DOHC motor under the hood inside. Everyone would expect a 5.0L EFI or carbed 302, not an '03 4-valve DOHC motor. The Marauder makes 240-250 rwhp stock, right? That's not too high of a number for a healthy
5.0L motor. Then there was the 460 crate engine idea. I also can't forget the fact that 1990 Grand Marquis's are slugs (130 rwhp, 230 rwtq). Perfect sleeper material. Nursing home looks, a 300-400 rwhp motor and :mad2: off stoplight challengers. Imagine getting pulled by a "grandpa car on whitewalls"?

Leadfoot281
09-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Have you seen the October issue of Hot Rod yet? They have a bored/stroked 351W that now measures 427cid for a Cobra kit car they're building. 550 HP! Slap that bad boy in your GM and put a 302 air cleaner on it. Go hunting for Camaros and Vettes!

Nitrous Al
09-10-2005, 12:23 AM
To save money and retain the "sleeper" look, I'm thinking of building a
stroker 5.0L engine (331 or 347). Maybe a Sportsman block for strength. It'll bolt up to the engine mounts, fit under the stock hood, etc. 5.0L parts will be less expensive than 4.6L parts.

David Morton
09-10-2005, 08:09 AM
In '75 I was 17 and drove a '72 LTD with a 400 in it.

Hooker headers and Addco rear anti-sway bar were the only mods.

Did 140 with a 2bbl carb.

That engine would probably be a bolt-on. Same mounts and dimensions.

A junkyard 351 EFI would fit too.

Good luck.

twolow
09-10-2005, 08:34 AM
I saw a Marquis yesterday evening the body style your talking about and I really did not like the front end nor the rear end compared to a Crown Vic of that same year.

The Marauder shares very little with a Marquis other than the badging anyway.

If it were me I'd go grab a 90 Vic, replace Ford with Mercury badges, and go from there. I think it would look 'tougher'. A Police Interceptor of that year would be perfect except for the million miles on the clock.

Nitrous Al
09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Boy, a ton of Box body Crown Vic fans in here. I like the Marquis styling better than the Crown Vic. The two small tail lights look out of place. The Marquis tail lights go across the whole rear section like a 5.0L Mustang. (I could do the "sequential signal light" mod with Marquis lights, Crown Vic lights would never work). I'm going to leave the body stock, except for some new paint (DTR), removal of the landau roof and painting the chrome around the windows, (DTR).

gpfarrell
09-11-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking a 351 is your hot ticket. If you like the idea of a stroker 5.0, a stroker 5.8 would be even better.

A lot of late 80s pickups had 351 H.0.s in them... the early ones were 4-barrells, I'm not sure what else they had going for them.

I think you've got a neat idea... I'd stick with the AOD and run 4.10s in the rear end... and I'd focus on torque and not worry too much about HP.

460 sounds like fun, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to bolt up... a 351 would almost be plug & play!

Keep us posted... 351 stroked to 396 would git her done! And then you could supercharge it....

LNYTUNS
09-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Boy, a ton of Box body Crown Vic fans in here. I like the Marquis styling better than the Crown Vic. The two small tail lights look out of place. The Marquis tail lights go across the whole rear section like a 5.0L Mustang. (I could do the "sequential signal light" mod with Marquis lights, Crown Vic lights would never work). I'm going to leave the body stock, except for some new paint (DTR), removal of the landau roof and painting the chrome around the windows, (DTR).

I did the sequential lights on my 88 GM builder, they look really cool and the mod is easy to do. You are doing the right thing to the right car. I am addicted to that body style. 88-91 is the best. Put some pics up as you go. I would love to see them.

Grand marquis addict,
LNYTUNS

PhastPhil
09-15-2005, 08:40 AM
I also think the 351 would be the better way to go. Something similar to the early Lightning motors. There are plenty of companies offering hi-po mods for the 5.8 EFI motor. They can make well over 500 hp to the rear wheels.

QWK SVT
09-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Agreed! I'm a little over an hour away... I know someone that works for SHM. He will not use their parts, on his own vehicle! What does that say?

PS - I know of more than a few engines with SHM installed 'block windows', if you know what I mean :eek:

Nitrous Al
09-16-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking 302 stroker (331-347) because I want it to fit under the stock hood. A 351W EFI motor would require engine mounts and/or intake mods, but it's not out of the question. I want a "Grandpa cruiser on the outside, Street bruiser on the inside". A supercharger or turbocharger isn't out of the question either. I also don't want any attention from the cops.

PhastPhil
09-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Since the 351 / 5.8 was an option on the 1990 & 1991 Crown Vic police cars, it will fit under the hood without any problems! The intake set up that was used on the first gen Lightning was the same as the GT-40 set up for the Mustang, if I remember correctly. As far as supercharging, if you stick with a Vorthech type set up it should not cause any problems or hood clearance interference. I would think a 351 crate engine would be cheaper than a bored & stroked 302.

Nitrous Al
09-17-2005, 05:17 AM
I'll do more research and get back to you.