PDA

View Full Version : Rest in peace my kitties

HwyCruiser
09-09-2005, 10:21 AM
We adopted our two cats as little month-old kittens from the Anchorage, AK, animal shelter back in 1990. With a heavy heart we've recently had to put both of them to rest.

Monty, a black and white longhair, was my wife's cat. He didn't have much use for me and the feeling was mutual. Mitzer, a orange and white longhair, was my cat and suited my personality to a tee. They were half-inside and half-outside cats, coming and going as they pleased.

Monty started to show his age fairly rapidly two months ago. Within at month he lost almost half is weight and started to loose control of his bodily functions. We are pretty sure he went blind during his last days. A couple of visits to the vet, only to be sent home for my wife enjoy what little time he had left. No cure for getting old. When the time finally came I took Monty to the vet for the last time, my wife stayed home and cried.

Mitzer took the loss hard. I think after he realized he lost his bud he pretty much gave up too. Over the past month he went from a fat cat on vet prescribed diet cat food to a lup of fur and bones. We tried switching his food, but we knew it was only a matter of time. I let him outside yesterday afternoon, looked for him for a couple of hours last night, and found him barely able to walk into the door this morning. Mitzer's time finally came. My wife took him to the vet for the last time, I went to work and tried to get some things done.

Monty died of old age and Mitzer died of a broken heart. Rest in peace my kitties.

twolow
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM
:depress:

I have two cats and a dog...know exactly how you feel. Animals never seem to have a bad day, they are there to cheer you up even on the worst of days.

grampaws
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss!! thankfully they did have long
Happy lives with you...You can only ask for one thing! making the
best of the time we have and being with the ones you Love when they
are here!!

MM03MOK
09-09-2005, 10:29 AM
JD - I know the feeling all too well. I'm sure they had a safe journey over the Rainbow Bridge.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Images/Gate_pics/POEM_Gate.jpg

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Eric91Z
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
So very sorry to hear that. Pets can become such a huge part of our lives and 15 years is a long time to have the animals.

mcb26
09-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Know how you feel. Sorry to hear of your loss.

SilverStreak
09-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Been there, done that, too many times. Best to go make a trip to the humane society and help out a few more lil buddies. They will appreciate a loving home like yours. Sorry for your loss.

fastblackmerc
09-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Know how you feel. Sorry to hear of your loss.
I know how you feel...... the hardest thing I've ever had to do was let go of our mini short-haired Dachshund Hans.... it will be even harder when the time comes for our mini long-haird Dachshund Fitz to depart.... I've experienced your pain....

STLR FN
09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Sorry for the loss JD, I too know the feeling.

seans
09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I know how you feel, I had to have my cat put to sleep because of cancer. You and your wife have my sympathy.

HwyCruiser
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I might actually be able to get some work done now. :)

SergntMac
09-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Thank you for sharing this with us, best wishes my friend.

fordman460
09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
My condolences. I am a cat lover as well. I have 10 counting the new kittens. I would be heartbroken if I lost any.

HwyCruiser
09-09-2005, 01:17 PM
As I replied to a PM from a friend here, as long as I keep my nose in my work I'm OK, but my eyes have been burning all day. I never would have figured this would have such an effect on me.

I'm just glad that the girls are young and weren't too attached to my and my wife's cats. The girls took me out to lunch today to tell me how a new puppy would really chear me up. I think we are going to visit the shelters soon to see if we can find a new companion to help fill the void.

Thanks again my friends. Your words have really helped. I guess I'm just a big softy.

Petrograde
09-09-2005, 01:28 PM
JD,.. I'm sorry to hear this. It's hard when 'furry kids' pass on.

dwasson
09-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I am so sorry. Pets are so ephemoral. It gives them the conditions of the appeal but also a part of the pain.

twolow
09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I am so sorry. Pets are so ephemoral. It gives them the conditions of the appeal but also a part of the pain.
Are you seriously gonna make me go look that word up in the dictionary?!?

NAVCHAP
09-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Sorry about your loss and hope that your children are doing okay with this. -kjs-

Al Goguen
09-09-2005, 03:31 PM
As I replied to a PM from a friend here, as long as I keep my nose in my work I'm OK, but my eyes have been burning all day. I never would have figured this would have such an effect on me.

I'm just glad that the girls are young and weren't too attached to my and my wife's cats. The girls took me out to lunch today to tell me how a new puppy would really chear me up. I think we are going to visit the shelters soon to see if we can find a new companion to help fill the void.

Thanks again my friends. Your words have really helped. I guess I'm just a big softy.
I wouldn't say your a softy! I would say your a man with a good heart!!!
Sorry to hear of your loss. I to have been thru this more times then I
care to remember! Take care and God Bless!!!

teamrope
09-09-2005, 07:18 PM
JD, Not much we can say that hasn't already ben said. Me & Linda (and Jessica & Matt & Alex) send our sympathy. :depress: If we were closer we'd loan you a couple of our 4 cats. :)

seabreeze
09-09-2005, 08:35 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. We have a couple of "hair-bags" too who are pushing 14 years old, and are sure we will have a better understanding of your situation soon. Rudy is my buddy-boy.

When I first joined the board, someone had a photo on their posts showing a cat on their black Marauder, like she owned the car. It was cool, I wish we could see it again.

When I read Bunnys link I must admit, it drew a tear or two... :(

04MEMA
09-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear that. I had a best buddy cat from around 12 yrs to 25 or so. I cried like a baby - like I never had before, and like I've never since the last day I took him to the vet. Oh brother, I feel for you!

But what a blessing it was to have known and loved 'em! :tigger:

Jeff

AzMarauder
09-09-2005, 09:14 PM
We adopted our two cats as little month-old kittens from the Anchorage, AK, animal shelter back in 1990. With a heavy heart we've recently had to put both of them to rest.

Monty, a black and white longhair, was my wife's cat. He didn't have much use for me and the feeling was mutual. Mitzer, a orange and white longhair, was my cat and suited my personality to a tee. They were half-inside and half-outside cats, coming and going as they pleased.

Monty started to show his age fairly rapidly two months ago. Within at month he lost almost half is weight and started to loose control of his bodily functions. We are pretty sure he went blind during his last days. A couple of visits to the vet, only to be sent home for my wife enjoy what little time he had left. No cure for getting old. When the time finally came I took Monty to the vet for the last time, my wife stayed home and cried.

Mitzer took the loss hard. I think after he realized he lost his bud he pretty much gave up too. Over the past month he went from a fat cat on vet prescribed diet cat food to a lup of fur and bones. We tried switching his food, but we knew it was only a matter of time. I let him outside yesterday afternoon, looked for him for a couple of hours last night, and found him barely able to walk into the door this morning. Mitzer's time finally came. My wife took him to the vet for the last time, I went to work and tried to get some things done.

Monty died of old age and Mitzer died of a broken heart. Rest in peace my kitties.
As a multi animal owner for a number of years... I've been present to put down several of my animal friends.... it is always hard....

the_pack_rat
09-09-2005, 09:31 PM
My condolences ..... I went thru it once myself. I couldn't even work the following day ..... stayed maybe 2 hours & I had to leave(said I was sick - didn't fess up to the REAL reason).

They are all different & unique just like people in their own way, they can never really be replaced ..... but visiting a shelter & giving another animal the chance at a loving home ..... does help one cope a bit better.

bigslim
09-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Sorry to hear of yor losses JD. Pets are true members of one's family.

snowbird
09-10-2005, 04:18 AM
JD,

I'll join the others that have said it better than i could. My sympathies, just let time help you pass through on this one.

martyo
09-10-2005, 05:18 AM

Wow, I am saddened by your loss. Get a new pet! It will make you appreciate those that are gone even more and allow your kids to share the same bonds you had with the kitties.

Hack Goby
09-10-2005, 05:47 AM
When I lost my cat Tex,two years ago I said thats it no more pets.We have had cats all our lives but the way our life was going it was time.Well about six weeks later Linda wants another cat to fill the void that Tex had left so I said OK but I want a black cat this time.When Jake came home he was so small he could play in a kleenex box and he also became daddys boy.He is our first cat to be a indoor cat.Well Linda`s gone and the kids have moved out and it`s just Jake and myself so I am glad to have him around but he`s also a maniac.After sheading a tear about losing your cats this morning I found that my buddy Jake decided to sharpen his claws all over my new hood liner I won at MVIII that I have been working on :mad2: Well Im over it now and Jake is still my buddy.The hood liner will be fine and life goes on.I would go out and get another cat to fill the pain you having now.Theres nothing like a little furry buddy,Good luck and God bless.

RoyLPita
09-10-2005, 05:51 AM
I know what you are going through. I've had many cats so far and had to do this to a few. As Marty says, "get a new one" but when you are ready.

jgc61sr2002
09-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Sorry for your loss. :(

Brutus
09-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. i just recently lost my two boys. (Zeke and Bear)

HwyCruiser
09-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Today the girls insisted on going to the shelter to look for a new puppy. The shelter, Wayside Waifs, an independent, not-for-profit, was full to the brim taking care of pets displaced by Katrina. They weren't taking in any more surrenders so it seemed like now was right time to help out and take a local homeless pet off their hands.

We visited with quite a few cats and dogs and the girls fell in love with on particular mutt. We adopted Dash, a 1 yr old Lab mix, that had been cared for by the shelter for over a month after being brought in as a stray.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/dash1.jpg

He did very well with the girls today and seems to be very patient and tolerant with kids. He's going to have his paws full with them. But now he has a loving home, a fair sized backyard to play in, and an owner who needs to take up walking really bad. Tonight we went out and discovered the neighborhood and wound up walking for about 3 miles and boy I'm beat. I tried walking the cats a few times but that always turned out to be a drag.

Anyway, that's for all the kind words regarding the cats. Yesterday was tough but today is a start of a new life for us with a new member of the family.

MM03MOK
09-10-2005, 08:17 PM
He's adorable! Congrats to you and the family, JD!

jabird56
09-10-2005, 08:39 PM
JD,

Sorry to here of your lose. I had to put my Yellow Lab down the day after News Years this year, Brandy was 14 and a half (pretty good for a lab). With a major snow front inbound, I new it was time knowing she wouldn't have been able to navigate in the yard. Brandy was one of those, "one in a million duck hunting dogs", she was the smartest that I ever had and the most gentle. It was rough but she is at peace now. Enclosed is a poem that a friend of mind sent to me, it is called a Dog's Plea but I think is covers cats or any other pets someone might have. Also I have enclosed a pic of Brandy from her last few days with us. I WILL be getting another lab, when? I don't know yet, to many variables like will I be moving next summer to Colorado or New Mexico with work.

All the Best
Jay

nexstar7
09-10-2005, 08:40 PM
i went throught that 1 year ago. i loved the little guy too much. i wont get another animal. its funny how close you get to them.

GarageMahal
09-10-2005, 10:56 PM
When I first read this post I was at home waiting for the vet to come over and help my dear old black cat Sneak shuffle off... He is at peace now and is already missed.

Good luck with the new puppy, he's really cute :)

We got a kitten (Cooper) a month or so ago to keep Sneak company. Looks like I need to look for another one to keep her company now ;)

jta

ncmm
09-11-2005, 12:37 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/dash1.jpg

nice puppy, congrats on the new addition

hang in there, you'll always have those fond memories of your pets
and nobody can take those away