PDA

View Full Version : Toronto here we come

duhtroll
09-12-2005, 09:31 AM
In April I'm taking about 120 students to Toronto to perform in a festival there. While there we will see the sights, and also attend the world premiere of the Lord of the Rings broadway style show. It's gonna rock - just had to share. :D

-A

QWK SVT
09-12-2005, 06:42 PM
In April I'm taking about 120 students to Toronto to perform in a festival there. While there we will see the sights, and also attend the world premiere of the Lord of the Rings broadway style show. It's gonna rock - just had to share. :D

-A
April's a long way away, but I'm here... How long are you in town for? :beer:

duhtroll
09-12-2005, 07:22 PM
From Friday through Sunday - but I'll be Marauderless in favor of a large tour bus.

Well, 3 tour buses, that is. :) not sure where the performance venue is but these kids from Iowa need to see a different culture.

-A

QWK SVT
09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
From Friday through Sunday - but I'll be Marauderless in favor of a large tour bus.

Well, 3 tour buses, that is. :) not sure where the performance venue is but these kids from Iowa need to see a different culture.

-A
LOTR will be at the Princess of Wales Theater, in in the entertainment district. It's about 1 mile from where I work. I assume the 3 busloads will be underage, and therefore you're looking for 'youth appropriate' entertainment, right?

There's not really a shortage of sites to see / activities to do, nearby... If you want some local help planning some events, let me know.:wave:

duhtroll
09-16-2005, 06:15 AM
You could give us a rating of the following things we scheduled. They are on our list to do when we have time.

We're hitting Niagara on the way in Friday and then going to dinner and the show Friday night. Saturday is mostly taken with competition and dinner at Medieval Times. We should have a couple hours in the afternoon between performing and dinner, and we have nothing to put in this time slot.

Sunday we are visiting Casa Loma and Olympic Spirit, and maybe a shopping area (Harbourfront, Queen's Quay, or Eaton Centre) for that souvenir fix that kids have. Then we leave Sunday evening.

Anything on the list that's overrated? Anything we really have to do but don't know about?

Thanks

TooManyFords
09-16-2005, 06:54 AM
The Falls are way better from the Canada side. But I bet you won't get a busload of kids across without the parents etc. You should call to find out what you need because there is so much more to see over there and then you can go through the tunnels to the base of the falls etc.

Aaron and I did that once. We had a great time!

Do you need a Marauder to lead the way?

(grin!)

john

snowbird
09-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Toronto is a nice place to go. I, for myself, took a picture down there of the CN tower. Take a look.:D

QWK SVT
09-17-2005, 08:07 AM
You could give us a rating of the following things we scheduled. They are on our list to do when we have time.

We're hitting Niagara on the way in Friday and then going to dinner and the show Friday night. Saturday is mostly taken with competition and dinner at Medieval Times. We should have a couple hours in the afternoon between performing and dinner, and we have nothing to put in this time slot.

Sunday we are visiting Casa Loma and Olympic Spirit, and maybe a shopping area (Harbourfront, Queen's Quay, or Eaton Centre) for that souvenir fix that kids have. Then we leave Sunday evening.

Anything on the list that's overrated? Anything we really have to do but don't know about?

ThanksLet me think about it for a bit, but here are some quick thoughts...

FRIDAY
TooManyFords is correct... The B-Lo side of the falls aren't anywhere near as spectacular as the Canadian side (which has the horseshoe shape everyone thinks of when you say Niagara Falls). Niagara Falls is your typical tourist trap type area - lots of little things to keep you busy, but it's also easy to spend some money, too.

Where do you plan to do dinner? I would assume you'll be somewhere within a short walk from the Theatre... There are more than a few places that would be able to house your group. If your not walking, there are a lot of really good options, within a few miles. With such a large group, you're obviously making

While it's a little overpriced (more than Applebees, less than Ruth's Chris), the Marche is a nice place, when you're in a big group. You can sample several different types of food. It's hard to explain, but you go to get your food, from various stations - usually, offering some different flavors from around the world.

Saturday
Competition is obviously why you're coming... Medieval Times is fun. I've been, a few times. They change the story up often, so even if you've seen it once, it will be a little different. Given the location (the Exhibition grouds), there may be something of interest in one of the halls/convention centres. Where you have you free time may determine what you can/will do...

Sunday
Casa Loma is somewhat interesting. Don't get me wrong, it's really impressive to look at and see, but it's really just a tour of a very big home, with very nice furniture. It may not grab the students' attention, depending on age / interests, etc. I suspect Casa Loma's gardens would not yet be open, so you would be limited to the main building. I may be jaded, as I went there every year of grade school, tho... Don't take my opinion as gospel, on this one.

Olympic Spirit is def. something you SHOULD do! It'll take time, is interesting, entertaining and educational. I think that pretty much covers the objective any any school outting. Afterwards, you will be right beside the Eaton's Centre. That's probably your best bet for "shopping" and to kill time. The other two options may get a little dull, and quickly. Weather would also be a concern for the other two (April showers, and all)...

Other thoughts
So, it seems like you're pretty much going to stick to the downtown core. That's cool, and all, but if you're goal is to show your students other cultures, you may want to try venture out of the confines of the concrete jungle. Toronto is the most multicultural city in North America. You will have the ability to dabble into more than just the "Canadian culture" (which is pretty Americanized)...

Depending on where you are during your free time on Saturday, you may want to go to Little Italy, Gerrard (East Indian community), one of our several Chinatowns, etc. Bring an appetite, and enjoy cuisine you may never have had a chance at, before. It may be interesting, given most of the kids probably have not had a chance to see many other cultures in such large quantities... Just a thought.