PDA

View Full Version : Weird E-mail. Scam?

Leadfoot281
09-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I posted an ad on a local radio stations web-site. I'm selling four 16" American Racing wheels.Four lug. Good Bfg tires. $499. Someone responded;

Are the wheels still for sale? Please get back to me soon.

I responded; Yes. Want some pics? (I didn't have pics posted on the site)

He responded; My name is cole. I am an agent and my client wants to buy the wheels. $499 is good. A check will be sent USPS and some extra for shipping. Give me you're cell phone number and home address so I can send check.

I wrote; "What do you mean by "client"? And what do you mean by "agent""?

He wrote; "The client buys the wheel. I am the agent. I buy for from you.That make me agent".

This guy "agent cole" has never even seen my used wheels. Nor has his "client". Yet they apparently thought $499 was a good deal on used 16" wheels. How weird is this? Would you hire "agent cole" to buy wheels (sight-unseen) for YOUR car? Is this some sort of scam?

the_pack_rat
09-13-2005, 12:30 AM
A flimee' de flamee' extraordinairre.

The next time you hear from this so called agent, it will go something like this :

" I have just received a check made out to/on behalf of my client for $2000.00. MY client would prefer to use $499 from this $2000 check. He has authorized me to sign over the $2000 check to you, & all you have to do his wire back the difference of $1501 ".

Long story short ...

The check will be a fake ... & you will out be $1501.00.

There's a website dedicated to such losers :

http://419eater.com/

Some people actually play along with these con artists for awhile ... just to have some fun.

A guy on one of the Olds lists strung along sone of these bozos for like 2 weeks or something.

Twas' pretty amusing.

DEFYANT
09-13-2005, 01:01 AM
I have dealt with these jackoffs before. How anyone these days falls for such an obvious trick is beyond me. I feel like listing my car just to atract one to have some fun with.

Worst part is, the money they scam could be funding POS terrorists.

Beware of anything involving money that comes from Nigeria and Liberia. There are alot of fraud and identity theft cases that can be tracked right back to these counties.

MarauderMark
09-13-2005, 04:37 AM
A good friend(buyer) of mine got scamed out of 5K buy someone who did sort of the same thing except he(seller) got someones truck that was selling locally drove it a few blocks away took pics of it and posted the pics on Cars.com ..aksed for 5k up front and that was that ..And cars.com wont answer the mans calls after saying there not responsible BAD SITE CARS.COM

martyo
09-13-2005, 05:14 AM
Beware of anything involving money that comes from Nigeria and Liberia. There are alot of fraud and identity theft cases that can be tracked right back to these counties.

In which State are Nigeria and Liberia counties?

martyo
09-13-2005, 05:15 AM
A good friend(buyer) of mine got scamed out of 5K buy someone who did sort of the same thing except he(seller) got someones truck that was selling locally drove it a few blocks away took pics of it and posted the pics on Cars.com ..aksed for 5k up front and that was that.

A story that would confuse any jury....

:rofl:

ckadiddle
09-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Just another email scam. Flip him the digital bird.

RF Overlord
09-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Oh yeah, it's a scam...

My 18 year old niece was selling her '94 LeBaron and got an e-mail very much like that, telling her the "client" wanted the car shipped to England... :rolleyes: without even seeing it...and wanted the priviledge of paying the full asking price, too... :shake: They never even got around to doing the "I'll send you a bigger check" dance as she saw right through it immediately and told the "agent" to shove it.

She's a smart girl...takes after her Uncle RF... :D

Rider90
09-13-2005, 07:35 AM
I say it is a scam as well, but as Packrat says - play around :P His intention was to rip you off, you're smarter than that, now annoy the hell out of him.

Sully008
09-13-2005, 08:27 AM
I call scam as well. It reminds me of a story I read somewhere else where a guy in the UK tried to scam a Apple Powerbook seller on Ebay. Long story short, they messed around with the buyer for weeks, even went as far as getting someone in the UK to tail the buyer with police when he received the so called "Powerbook". When he opened the package, he got a binder with keyboard keys glued on to it, and "Powerbook" written in marker. He was promptly arrested. :lol:

wchain
09-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Yup. I responded to an Autotrader ad for a 2002 marauder with 8K miles in Malaysia for 10,000, but the shipping would be 5K. I remember that shifty guy....still have the ad around here somewhere....

DEFYANT
09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
In which State are Nigeria and Liberia counties?
Ok, I'll bite.

They are countries in Africa known in law enforcement to be be the base of some scammers. Being in a different country obviously makes is difficult to track and arrest these dirtballs, but it is not impossible.

teamrope
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

They are countries in Africa known in law enforcement to be be the base of some scammers. Being in a different country obviously makes is difficult to track and arrest these dirtballs, but it is not impossible.

I think Marty was poking fun at the SPELLING of country. (Counties) :D

martyo
09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
I think Marty was poking fun at the SPELLING of country. (Counties) :D

Who me???????? :D

Leadfoot281
09-13-2005, 04:01 PM
I guess I'm not the only one out here that has run into these creeps! I wish I had "jerked him around" more. Instead, I wrote him a nice e-mail telling him about all the "fun" I had with his mother last night. I explained that he should give his mother five U.S Dollars for it, and that I would pay him back, after he sent me HIS address and HIS cell phone number.

Anyone want a set of 16"x7", four lug, American Racing wheels? New BFG 225/55/16 rubber. Five spoke (look like Torq Thrusts). I sort of doubt "Agent Cole" wants them now....:P

MarauderMark
09-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Anyone want a set of 16"x7", four lug, American Racing wheels? New BFG 225/55/16 rubber. Five spoke (look like Torq Thrusts). I sort of doubt "Agent Cole" wants them now....:P

Ok but let me hire an agent first..:rofl:

67merc
09-13-2005, 04:33 PM
ebolamonkeyman.com not politically correct but funny the things he makes these scammers do

DEFYANT
09-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Who me???????? :D
Damit Marty, I'm cop, not a dictionary.

Yo Logan, howzabout a smell checker?

MM03MOK
09-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Damit Marty, I'm cop, not a dictionary.

Yo Logan, howzabout a smell checker?http://www.iespell.com/

DEFYANT
09-13-2005, 07:35 PM
http://www.iespell.com/
It took awhile, but I knew someone would come up with a "How-to-spell" site. I figured www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) would have been first. :P

I'll be right back. I just got done counting and need to put my shoes back on. :D

martyo
09-13-2005, 07:38 PM
http://www.iespell.com/

That's what I use!

MM03MOK
09-13-2005, 07:43 PM
It took awhile, but I knew someone would come up with a "How-to-spell" site. I figured www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/) would have been first. :P

I'll be right back. I just got done counting and need to put my shoes back on. :DThis is software you download to spellcheck any text windows, emails, etc. Right click in the box and it spellchecks. Of course you're on your own for grammar. (notice the two uses of you're/your) ;)