PDA

View Full Version : The Big Cat Dances At 126 Mph - Would A Rear Spoiler Make It Feel A Bit More Stable?

WJSOLOMON
09-03-2002, 12:53 AM
Installing the "Performance Up-Grade Package" from Rienhart Auotmotive really does wake this "Big Cat" up, and seems to have increased it's Harmonic Balence Point up from the Mid-Seventies, to the Early Nineties.

With a Full Tank of 93 Octaine, Full-Synthetics in all Three Resevores, the Four T/A's balenced and inflated to a cold temp of 32.0 psi, it was North on I-69 for the fast 130 Miles to from Indy to Fort Wayne. The Sun was setting, the Temps dropped down to 79 Degrees, the Traffic thinned, and away we went!

From a standing start, it'll confidently chirps the Tires into Second, and the Power Curve is Full and Confident up through 3rd. It rushes past 100 with ease, but once it reaches 125 mph and beyond, the Steering starts to feel a bit too light for it all, and while the T/A's still maintain a decent grip, it all starts to feel a bit too skittish. Perhaps with a Rear Spoiler, and a couple of Bags of W/S Salt in the trunk, it may not seem so risky to push this Big Cat to the Limit, whatever that may be.

The W (ZR) Tires are Speed-Rated for 168 MPH, but something says that the Big Cat's overall Balence isn't currently there to approach it, with any degree of Safety, and Control. And this Steering feels much too light and unfocused for the challenge, in this High Speed Arena.

It's no (BMW) M-3 or M-5 as if glued to a R/R Track, but it's the most amount of Honest, High-Performance Automotive Achievement for it's Price Class, than anything I've ever driven. And that includes 3-Pointed Stars, Bimers, and the Hot new Lexus SC 430, Performance Cars that sell for twice the price.

This Weekend, the Matrix-Metal Drive Shaft is to be installed, so I'll see if it makes the Big Cat a little less skittish, and more sure-footed in the upper Speed Ranges. With the Reinhart Automotive Performance Package installed, these Cars are the true "Road Masters" in the Passing Lanes, that perhaps America builds today, for under $40 Grand!

Can our Marauders develop into "The Ultimate Domestic Performance / Luxury Driving Machine"?

"Details At Eleven!"

:eek: :confused: ;) :cool:

Larry Vogel
09-05-2002, 07:51 PM
With a lowered frt end and rear end you'll get more stability. The spoiler that Mercury is gonna offer is for looks, you'll need something more at that type of speed. You were at the Indy Track right? If not, glad I live up here and your down their.

WJSOLOMON
09-05-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Larry Vogel: "With a lowered front and rear end you'll get more stability. The spoiler that Mercury is gonna offer is for looks, you'll need something more at that type of speed. You were at the Indy Track right? If not, glad I live up here and you're down there!"

I-69 on Labor Day about Dusk. Light Traffic. Was headed for the your Southern State Line, when she darted off the Inter-State just North of Ft. Wayne, and headed into the First Gas Station we came to, like a horse headed back to the Barn! When I opened uo the Hood to check the Fluids, her "Tongue" was hanging out like a Thirsty Race Horse!

Other wise, I'd been up there looking out for Michigan's Finest.

:p ;) :cool:

Larry Vogel
09-06-2002, 06:01 AM
Ha!! LOL!! Glad no one was in the way and you survived it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WJSOLOMON
09-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Larry Vogel:Ha!! LOL!! Glad no one was in the way and you survived it." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Survival was not my Biggest Concern. When I brought this Sled to a Full and Complete Stop at the B P Gas Station, there was this Extremely Loud "CRASH" immediately to the Rear of my car.................seems like I had sucked the Grill off of Two BMW's, a 3-Pointed Star Car, and one Mack Truck.

I left immediately, after paying for my Gas.

Salvage Value would probably have more than paid for the Fill-Up!

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;) :cool:

Yo Vic
09-24-2008, 07:14 AM
"Can our Marauders develop into "The Ultimate Domestic Performance / Luxury Driving Machine"?"

You are just the person I'm looking for to discuss the "Ultimate American Driving" machine. There are those that drive the MM stock, modified for 1/4 mile and modified for a performance road car.

I will be transitioning from the stock class to the performance road car. You are correct in that there is not another car close to the power or potential of the MM unless you double the price and import from over-priced Bimmers, Mercedes or Audis). Now don't get me wrong, those are great machines and I do like them. Because of that, they are good baselines to learn from and model. Much like the Japanese did when they started Lexus and Infiniti brands (modified Toyotas and Nissans).

I'd like to start a thread specifically for performance road car discussion. Who's game?

Yo Vic

BUCKWHEAT
09-24-2008, 07:34 AM
"Can our Marauders develop into "The Ultimate Domestic Performance / Luxury Driving Machine"?"

I'd like to start a thread specifically for performance road car discussion. Who's game?

Yo Vic

Go for it. Where are the road courses proximate to your location? Do widened rear wheels help? What tires for road course? Some have mounted cameras to critique the road course performance...which is best? What weight reductions? Rear gears to use? Brake upgrades...which? Steet pads out, but which race pads for brakes? Shocks, front sway bar, rear antisway, Watts link, rear upper & lowers...what makes the biggest difference? And last, how to tightedn the nut behind the wheel...training?

Pops
09-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Go for it. Where are the road courses proximate to your location? Do widened rear wheels help? What tires for road course? Some have mounted cameras to critique the road course performance...which is best? What weight reductions? Rear gears to use? Brake upgrades...which? Steet pads out, but which race pads for brakes? Shocks, front sway bar, rear antisway, Watts link, rear upper & lowers...what makes the biggest difference? And last, how to tightedn the nut behind the wheel...training?

You guys need Jdando in on this. He takes his to the road course all the time. :cool4:

Blk Mamba
09-24-2008, 07:51 AM
You all flamed me when I wanted to put a spoiler on my MM, what gives. Said it was like wings on an Ostrich, useless. I don't drag race, thats no proof of ability, just a quick start to the real test. Go for it.

a_d_a_m
09-24-2008, 08:02 AM
talk about resurrecting an old thread.

Badger
09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Still begs the old question of what are the best mods for sustained high speed driving. Other then driveshaft, lowered ride via cut spring. Any aftermarket chin spoilers that help?

BigCars4Ever
09-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Immediate needs for your dirving style:
Lower car
Larger front and rear sway Enco sway bars.
Performance Rear control arms.
Consider the Metco watts link.
Consider adding a Progaurd to the bumper cover.
*****Most important*******
Reduce your sidewall profile of your tires. Especially the rears. The worst thing I have done for my car was putting General Grabbers 255/55-18's on the rear. It's like wrapping the rims in Jello. Reducing your sidewall flex will have the biggest divedends at high speed. A larger diameter Rim in the rear and a 45 or 40 profile tire could be a good way to go.

Just some suggestions

ctrlraven
09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I just took mine up to 128mph last weekend on a private off-road track. Only thing that sucks about the track is that is shaped like a big J. Front chin spoiler and proguard make a big difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmToO8ApqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-59LbWaetYA

Bluerauder
09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
talk about resurrecting an old thread.
I don't think WJSOLOMON is with us anymore, either. :( R.I.P. Bill.

J D
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I didn't see if anyone mentioned it but what about the proguard?

At those speeds the uncovered rear would be like a small parachute right? Installed with maybe a a bag of sand or so, would probably help keep those rear wheels down.

LVMarauder
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Upgrade your complete suspension, lower it front and rear, add proguard ( reduce drag) , chin spoiler ( althought seriously how much down force could that provide and not RIP the front bumper off). What you would really want is a diffuser in the front and rear , of course none exists that I know of. Tires are also extremely important and bigcars4ever is right on.

AS far as driveshaft vibration, I do believe that it exists and do not discredit those members and vendors here who offer experiences/products to counter it but, I have never expereicned it and I've had mine up well above the critical driveline speed for 4.10's. Just my experience, and I guess If my tailshaft starts leaking fluid ever , Ill eat crow.

UncleLar
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Some very good answers may only be an email or phone call away to Bob Bondurant.
Remember the special built Crown Vic training cars we've seen on eBay and other places? Those were some fast Panther platform cars that could really handle.Someone there may be able to tell us specifically what mods were made to the suspension and aerodynamics,wheel widths,tire sizes,etc. to make those cars handle like they did.
They may also be able to tell us exactly what the top speeds were they had them up to safely.
We already know lots of ways to make our cars fast,safe stopping and handling at speed should be higher priorities.
We may not have to reinvent the wheel.
I'm sure they've got a wealth of knowledge they might share with us.

UncleLar
09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Duplication deleted.

Windsor58
09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Mine was already modified when I bought it (except I had Dennis add the proguard under the back end), but I haven't seen any instabililty at high speeds (no spoiler either).
Mods include - Vortech, rear sway bar, rear control arms, widened rear wheels/tires.

Badger
09-25-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking about the cut springs and possibly the sway bars. Done power adder and stopping...so that's next on the list.

ckadiddle
09-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Too many freaking people in my way here for me to ever worry about sustained high speed driving. :(

UncleLar
09-26-2008, 09:34 AM
I rolled snake eyes on the Roush/Bondurant cars when I call both of them.Bondurant said they were built by Roush and they don't know what was done to them and Roush said they had no records of what was done to them.So unless one of us(not me) buys one of the cars and pulls it apart i guess that's the end of that idea.

ctrlraven
09-26-2008, 09:39 AM
I believe Car & Driver did a article on the Bondurant CV and broke down the stuff that was installed on it.

Not from C&D but other info on it.

1999 Police Interceptor Crown Victoria

ENGINE: 1999 SVT Mustang Cobra 4.6L 4V.
320 HP.
Full length Cobra windage tray with modified Mark VIII oil pan.
Emissions controls removed.
Custom Bondurant engine calibration.
Custom H – pipe with catalytic converters removed.
Borla custom dual exhaust system.
Custom cooling system including production 6.8L V10 water pump and radiator, engine driven fan with custom shroud and an 18” electric cooling fan.
1995 SVT Mustang Cobra R engine oil cooler.
Battery relocated to trunk.

WEIGHT: 4,800 Lbs.

TRANSMISSION/ 1999 SVT Mustang Cobra T-45 5 speed with carbon fiber blocking rings.
DRIVETRAIN: B & M Ripper Shifter.
Custom steel drive shaft with safety loop.
3.73:1 axle ratio with production limited slip.

FUEL SYSTEM: Custom 22 gallon racing fuel cell.
1999 SVT Mustang Cobra fuel pump.
Custom stainless steel and braided fuel lines

SUSPENSION: Front:
Eibach 1000 lb per inch springs.
Monroe Shocks with custom calibration.
Winston Cup style 2” diameter solid front sway bar with custom links.
Modified alignment settings:
Camber 1.8 degrees negative
Caster 7.0 degrees positive
Toe 0.0 degrees.

Rear:
Eibach 160 lb per inch springs.
Monroe shocks with custom calibration.
Production .708 diameter solid sway bar.
Production Watts linkages.

BRAKES: Production Crown Victoria disk brakes.
Performance Friction 90 compound race brake pads.
Baer Brakes custom steel braided brake lines.
Custom brake cooling ducts.

WHEELS/ 1995 SVT Mustang Cobra R 17 X 9” wheels.
TIRES : Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra 275/40/R17.

INTERIOR: 1999 SVT Mustang Cobra instrument cluster.

Four point safety harnesses at all four seating locations.
Six point fully integrated Roush saf