PDA

View Full Version : My mom's B-Day present has an Intech V8...

Breadfan
09-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Well, a couple of weeks ago my dad told me he was interested in buying another car. He managed to see a late model Cadillac Deville and was amazed at the price and how it had depreciated.

I talked to him about it, showed him some options, and he liked what he saw. A few weeks later he decided that my mom would be the primary driver of this car, so he figured he'd buy something she would like and give it to her as a b-day present.

We wanted to surprise her, so we couldn't really ask what she wanted. He started dropping hints about liking Caddy's, and she said "those are old people cars!" (My mom doesn't know much about cars, but has her own opinions anyway, lol.)

Turns out she mentioned she liked, of all things, the Chevy Impala. So when my dad told me he was going to buy an Impala I quickly fired off a few paragraphs in an email changing his mind. The one he saw had 8,000 miles and was like $14k, obviously a base model and also had the HORRIBLE 3.4l V6 which is known for blowing lower intake manifold gaskets. (I reminded him of how I spent 20 hours replacing the one on my sisters' Grand Am that only had 45,000 miles, and was the second time it had been done....it invovles taking the whole top end of hte engine apart, heads stay on, but pushrods come out...)

Anyway, we went in circles around some various cars and finally settled on an '02 Cadillac Seville. I know someone with a Seville with very high mileage and runs perfect. We were both happy. (I didn't like the FWD part but my dad wanted FWD for my mom...though RWD wasn't out of the questoin he was really looking for a good FWD car.)

So we drive up to the place, just below Baltimore, a good 80 miles away from their house. We get there only to find out the '02 Seville is gone. When I called the guy, he thought I was asking about an '05 Deville they had...we looked at it, but at 29,000 it was a bit steep in price. (They wanted 32k but said they would let it go for 29k)

As we were about to head down the strip and check out the other local dealers before hitting Carmax (which had 3 Sevilles in stock) the salesman asked us if we'd like to check out another car.

(I do wonder if the Seville an auto trader was just there to entice people to drive in...then they don't have it and show you other things...my dad and I talked about this possibility and decided even if it was true it seemed like a reputable place and they did have nice cars with clean records for fair prices.)

While I was a bit leary of it at first, we ended up leaving, hitting Carmax and becoming unimpressed with their selection and prices. We came back and bought this other car.

I was sort of afraid my mom wouldn't like it since she made the "old person car" comment about the Caddy's. But I was wrong, she really liked it, and after driving it she says she's really happy with it.

It's a 2002 Lincoln Continental. Black with grey two-tone leather. It has the Intech V8, 275hp version, but it's pointed the wrong way in the engine bay. Yes, it's FWD.

I drove the car and will say, it's very very smooth, rides very nicely, and has some cool features. It's got plenty of power too. Felt wierd to take off in some wet conditions and lay on the gas, you could feel the front slide and some torque steer when it slipped. (Reminded me of what FWD is like...)

Anyway, we got a good deal on it, $17k I think my dad ended up paying, it has 35k on the clock and looks pretty immaculate.

Got an OASIS from RoyLPita, looked OK, my only concern was a note that the intake manifold was replaced due to a coolant leak. I'm assuming external leak, and I wonder if they meant just the gasket was replaced...or was the manifold cracked? Anyway, it's still under warranty, looks great and runs just fine.

I still don't know a huge amount about the Continentals. I know more about the Panther based Lincolns and the S-Type based LS. Anyone know what platform the Continental is based on? It's not a big Taurus is it?

At anyrate, my mom is happy, my dad is happy, and that's what matters. The car is nice, but I still like my MM and would even prefer a nice '03+ Town Car over it, even with 2v 4.6...

Now...why the darn Town Car doesn't have the Intech V8 is beyond me...isn't hte Town Car their flagship???

PS... Am I the only one who refers to these engines as the "Initech" V8???

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/lcd/IMG_0251.jpg

SergntMac
09-21-2005, 03:16 PM
InTech 4V is what the label says...

GreekGod
09-21-2005, 03:29 PM
I believe the FWD Continental is a Taurus platform, but thats not all bad (for a FWD). The engine is a DOHC 4.6 275 HP version of our MM engine.

Breadfan
09-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, it does.

Are you saying it's mechanically different?

I wouldn't be surprised, the intake manifold is different. I figured it also might have a different cam profile. Maybe even different materials in the block...

Is there a major difference like that? I don't know...

MarauderMark
09-21-2005, 05:41 PM
My Nephew has a 2000 and boy oh boy is that a sweet looking car .it's green and chrome with tinted windows and chrome rims.i am impressed..he got it with 40k on it for $6k..the only thing was he ahd to put in a trans at about 55k.but toher than that it runs nice and looks great..Wish your mom lotsa luck with it..:up: :D

GreekGod
09-21-2005, 05:57 PM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 295885" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Breadfan</TD><TD class=alt2>Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by SergntMac

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yes, it does.

I wouldn't be surprised, the intake manifold is different. I figured it also might have a different cam profile. Maybe even different materials in the block...

I bought one of those Intek engines for my '57 Ford before I read that the transmission/bell housing bolt pattern is unique and will only fit the FWD trans. The intake is low/restictive to clear the low hood and the restrictive exhaust manifold/system sucks! I think the early blocks were made in Italy and quite good but the mounts may also be unique to the FWD chassis. I'm sure the cams are tuned for low rpm torque. The heads are supposed to be excellent, especially for modifying. The block should be aluminum.

bigslim
09-21-2005, 07:23 PM
I used to have a 2000 Continental. It was a really nice car. It had good power and was the lap of luxury. The items I like the most were the rearview mirrors that pointed down when you backed up and the different temperture settings on the heated seats. Enjoy the new ride.

STLR FN
09-21-2005, 11:09 PM
InTech is a marketing tool in the same way Triton is to F-150's Powerstroke, I-force, Duramaxx, Duratech, etc, etc,.....

bigslim
09-21-2005, 11:25 PM
The Intech was also used in the rear wheel drive Mark VIII.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 295885" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Breadfan</TD><TD class=alt2>Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by SergntMac

Yes, it does.

I bought one of those Intek engines for my '57 Ford before I read that the transmission/bell housing bolt pattern is unique and will only fit the FWD trans. The intake is low/restictive to clear the low hood and the restrictive exhaust manifold/system sucks! I think the early blocks were made in Italy and quite good but the mounts may also be unique to the FWD chassis. I'm sure the cams are tuned for low rpm torque. The heads are supposed to be excellent, especially for modifying. The block should be aluminum.

bigslim
09-21-2005, 11:26 PM
The InTech would not fit under the hood of the Town car because of the way the cowl is made.

Well, a couple of weeks ago my dad told me he was interested in buying another car. He managed to see a late model Cadillac Deville and was amazed at the price and how it had depreciated.

I talked to him about it, showed him some options, and he liked what he saw. A few weeks later he decided that my mom would be the primary driver of this car, so he figured he'd buy something she would like and give it to her as a b-day present.

We wanted to surprise her, so we couldn't really ask what she wanted. He started dropping hints about liking Caddy's, and she said "those are old people cars!" (My mom doesn't know much about cars, but has her own opinions anyway, lol.)

Turns out she mentioned she liked, of all things, the Chevy Impala. So when my dad told me he was going to buy an Impala I quickly fired off a few paragraphs in an email changing his mind. The one he saw had 8,000 miles and was like $14k, obviously a base model and also had the HORRIBLE 3.4l V6 which is known for blowing lower intake manifold gaskets. (I reminded him of how I spent 20 hours replacing the one on my sisters' Grand Am that only had 45,000 miles, and was the second time it had been done....it invovles taking the whole top end of hte engine apart, heads stay on, but pushrods come out...)

Anyway, we went in circles around some various cars and finally settled on an '02 Cadillac Seville. I know someone with a Seville with very high mileage and runs perfect. We were both happy. (I didn't like the FWD part but my dad wanted FWD for my mom...though RWD wasn't out of the questoin he was really looking for a good FWD car.)

So we drive up to the place, just below Baltimore, a good 80 miles away from their house. We get there only to find out the '02 Seville is gone. When I called the guy, he thought I was asking about an '05 Deville they had...we looked at it, but at 29,000 it was a bit steep in price. (They wanted 32k but said they would let it go for 29k)

As we were about to head down the strip and check out the other local dealers before hitting Carmax (which had 3 Sevilles in stock) the salesman asked us if we'd like to check out another car.

(I do wonder if the Seville an auto trader was just there to entice people to drive in...then they don't have it and show you other things...my dad and I talked about this possibility and decided even if it was true it seemed like a reputable place and they did have nice cars with clean records for fair prices.)

While I was a bit leary of it at first, we ended up leaving, hitting Carmax and becoming unimpressed with their selection and prices. We came back and bought this other car.

I was sort of afraid my mom wouldn't like it since she made the "old person car" comment about the Caddy's. But I was wrong, she really liked it, and after driving it she says she's really happy with it.

It's a 2002 Lincoln Continental. Black with grey two-tone leather. It has the Intech V8, 275hp version, but it's pointed the wrong way in the engine bay. Yes, it's FWD.

I drove the car and will say, it's very very smooth, rides very nicely, and has some cool features. It's got plenty of power too. Felt wierd to take off in some wet conditions and lay on the gas, you could feel the front slide and some torque steer when it slipped. (Reminded me of what FWD is like...)

Anyway, we got a good deal on it, $17k I think my dad ended up paying, it has 35k on the clock and looks pretty immaculate.

Got an OASIS from RoyLPita, looked OK, my only concern was a note that the intake manifold was replaced due to a coolant leak. I'm assuming external leak, and I wonder if they meant just the gasket was replaced...or was the manifold cracked? Anyway, it's still under warranty, looks great and runs just fine.

I still don't know a huge amount about the Continentals. I know more about the Panther based Lincolns and the S-Type based LS. Anyone know what platform the Continental is based on? It's not a big Taurus is it?

At anyrate, my mom is happy, my dad is happy, and that's what matters. The car is nice, but I still like my MM and would even prefer a nice '03+ Town Car over it, even with 2v 4.6...

Now...why the darn Town Car doesn't have the Intech V8 is beyond me...isn't hte Town Car their flagship???

PS... Am I the only one who refers to these engines as the "Initech" V8???

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/lcd/IMG_0251.jpg

Rider90
09-21-2005, 11:29 PM
The InTech would not fit under the hood of the Town car because of the way the cowl is made.
Good point. During one session of me drooling over the Town Car, I noticed a typo..?

http://www.lincoln.com/vehicles/default.asp

Says that there TC has a 4.6L DOHC :D

Rider90
09-21-2005, 11:31 PM
On a side note, are this guy's hands already enbalmed? however it's spelled...

http://www.lincoln.com/media/vehicles/towncar/performance/twc_automatic_trans.jpg

SergntMac
09-22-2005, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't be surprised, the intake manifold is different. I figured it also might have a different cam profile. Maybe even different materials in the block. Is there a major difference like that? I don't know... Neither do I know much about the Continental powertrain. I was considering a Continental before I bough my MM, and I recall that it's FWD, so, the block is very different from the MMs 4.6L DOHC. I also recall that they offered a choice between the 3.0L V6 and a 3.9L V8, but both are DOHC engines, so, visually, they may appear similar. I doubt any interchangability with internals, such as heads, cams and so on. Externals, like altenator, water pump and stuff may be interchangable. I don't know enough about the Continental to give you a better answer.

ADE 1000
09-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Neither do I know much about the LS powertrain. I was considering an LS before I bough my MM, and I recall that it's FWD, so, the block is very different from the MMs 4.6L DOHC. I also recall that the LS offered a choice between the 3.0L V6 and a 3.9L V8, but both are DOHC engines, so, visually, they may appear similar. I doubt any interchangability with internals, such as heads, cams and so on. Externals, like altenator, water pump and stuff may be interchangable. I don't know enough about the LS to give you a better answer.

The LS is rear wheel drive. Aside from having somewhat cramped passenger compartment, a nice platform overall. An LS with a sport package is a very formidable handler. As for the engines, the 3.0L V-6 is the same duratec motor offered in a variety of Fords (Taurus, Escape, Five Hundred, etc.) The 3.9L V-8 is a version of the 4.0L and 4.2L V-8 Jaguar engines. I doubt there is much, if any, parts interchangeability with the 4.6L V-8.

As for the Continental, I think it is one of the best buys out there in the used car market. My mom had a '98 model and I was impressed with it. It was comfortable, reliable, and felt very solid. My only complaint was heavy torque steer. I prefer the Cadillac STS from the same era, as I believe it handles and looks better. However, the Continental seems a lot less prone to trouble. I have been keeping an eye out for one as a winter beater.

Breadfan
09-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Yup, the LS is same chassis as the Jag S-Type. I really like the look of them, but my dad preferred the Continental in terms of size and FWD. Personally the FWD it what I didn't really like, but for the winter and wet it's easier to handle, and for my mom, thats a good thing. (Not that she's a bad driver, but knowing her she'll like it better.)

The V8 in the LS is different than ours, the InTech in the Continental is very similar. The InTech V8 shows up various places, including old Lincoln MK VIII, Continentals, Marauders, and varying version (without the "InTech" nameplate) in various Mustangs (older Cobra's, Mach 1's), oh, and I think the Aviator has an Intech.

The LS would probably move out pretty nicely with an Intech 4.6l, a bit more torque but probably wouldn't fit under the hood. For that matter, the 4.2l suerchargered Jag V8 would make it a screamer. (390hp I believe...)

The thing I didn't like about the LS over the Marauder is the V8 is still too small for the car, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds isn't much to write home about. Sure, same goes with the Marauder, but with the MM you get plenty more performance upgrades plus they're harder to come by which was a plus for me. (Mac, I too looked at the LS/S-Type when considering a new car.)

I will try to get some pics of the Continental sometime, next time I see my parents I'll snap some pics of the car.

Too bad a Trilogy or Vortech probably wouldn't fit under the hood...even if it would I bet we'd blow out the transaxle pretty quick. :)

bigslim
09-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I had a 2002 LS V8 after the Continental and thought it was a really nice piece of work. It handled great and moved really good. The only problem was in the snow it sucked. It had 17 inch performance tires on it. I considered getting another one but the price went too far upmarket and I got my first MM.

ADE 1000
09-22-2005, 10:52 AM
The LS would probably move out pretty nicely with an Intech 4.6l, a bit more torque but probably wouldn't fit under the hood. For that matter, the 4.2l suerchargered Jag V8 would make it a screamer. (390hp I believe...)

The thing I didn't like about the LS over the Marauder is the V8 is still too small for the car, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds isn't much to write home about. Sure, same goes with the Marauder, but with the MM you get plenty more performance upgrades plus they're harder to come by which was a plus for me. (Mac, I too looked at the LS/S-Type when considering a new car.)

The 4.6L does fit. A group of Lincoln engineers have been running an LS with a blown 4.6L in the last couple One Lap of America events:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=17 650

The 0-60 time for the 2003 and newer LS is actually 6.4 seconds. They upped the horsepower of the 3.9L from 252 to 290.

SergntMac
09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
The LS is rear wheel drive. Noted, my bad.

I thought it was too easy to type Continental...

ctrcbob
09-22-2005, 12:18 PM
As you can see by my signature, I own a 2002 Continental. This is the third Continental with this engine that I have owned, the previous two both being 1998's.

Can you tell that we (wife and I) love this car? All three of the Continentals were (are) set up the same. Driver Select System and Five Passenger with Floor Mount Shifter. The 98 thru 2002 all look the same. The 95 thru 97 looked slightly different, but still have the same engine. We had nothing wrong with the 98's, but we wanted one of the final year (02) Continentals, so I sold one of the 98's to buy the 02 and the other 98 to buy the 03 MM.

The Contental is almost as fast as the MM. Yes, it is FWD, but who cares. We don't run it at the track. When we pull out from a side street, to a main road, it gets up to speed as quick as the MM. I also towed with both 98's. Never had any problems towing, even on snow and ice. These Continentals from the years listed above are great cars. If guys can overlook their bias against FWD, they would find out for themselves.

bigslim
09-22-2005, 08:44 PM
The Continental only came with a 4.6 V-8. The earlier body styles had the V-6's.

Neither do I know much about the Continental powertrain. I was considering a Continental before I bough my MM, and I recall that it's FWD, so, the block is very different from the MMs 4.6L DOHC. I also recall that they offered a choice between the 3.0L V6 and a 3.9L V8, but both are DOHC engines, so, visually, they may appear similar. I doubt any interchangability with internals, such as heads, cams and so on. Externals, like altenator, water pump and stuff may be interchangable. I don't know enough about the Continental to give you a better answer.

CaptRoadking
09-24-2005, 07:24 PM
As you can see by my signature, I own a 2002 Continental. This is the third Continental with this engine that I have owned, the previous two both being 1998's.

Can you tell that we (wife and I) love this car? All three of the Continentals were (are) set up the same. Driver Select System and Five Passenger with Floor Mount Shifter. The 98 thru 2002 all look the same. The 95 thru 97 looked slightly different, but still have the same engine. We had nothing wrong with the 98's, but we wanted one of the final year (02) Continentals, so I sold one of the 98's to buy the 02 and the other 98 to buy the 03 MM.

The Contental is almost as fast as the MM. Yes, it is FWD, but who cares. We don't run it at the track. When we pull out from a side street, to a main road, it gets up to speed as quick as the MM. I also towed with both 98's. Never had any problems towing, even on snow and ice. These Continentals from the years listed above are great cars. If guys can overlook their bias against FWD, they would find out for themselves.

I agree 100%. My wife has had a new Continental every two years since 1994. The last one (Black 00 with 45,000 miles) is still with us. Lincoln stopped making FWD cars and we stopped buying Lincolns. Living in New England demands the traction of FWD. She loves this car. Great looks, fast, huge trunk, 27mpg @ 75mph, whats not to like. To bad they stopped making these, so much for "Ford's Better Idea"
Ed