PDA

View Full Version : Go Fill Up Your Cars

Donny Carlson
09-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Folks,

I used to live and work in Pasedena, Texas, which is home to a gazillion refinerys along the Houston Ship Channel, and on out into Galveston bay and the Gulf. Not to mention those further south, and northeast toward Orange and Beaumont. You name it, Deer Park, Baytown, yada yada.

Go fill up your cars now. If Rita hits this part of Texas and knocks out those refineries, gas is gonna be 50 cents a gallon higher the next day. I filled up for 2.899 tonight, and don't expect to see the price that low again for weeks.

RR|Suki
09-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Folks,

I used to live and work in Pasedena, Texas, which is home to a gazillion refinerys along the Houston Ship Channel, and on out into Galveston bay and the Gulf. Not to mention those further south, and northeast toward Orange and Beaumont. You name it, Deer Park, Baytown, yada yada.

Go fill up your cars now. If Rita hits this part of Texas and knocks out those refineries, gas is gonna be 50 cents a gallon higher the next day. I filled up for 2.899 tonight, and don't expect to see the price that low again for weeks.
$2.50 here in EL :D

BillyGman
09-21-2005, 11:15 PM
$3.19 over here. since Rita has just become a catagory 5 hurricane, I guess I better fill up now. This is insane!! I never remember the threat of hurricanes being a concern for raising gasoline prices. What a ripp-off. Captitolism at it's worst I guess. Greed just continues to flurish.

Rider90
09-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Meh...http://midwestpanthers.net/hah.jpghttp://midwestpanthers.net/hah.jpg

DefyantExWife
09-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Yesterday I put a half tank's worth in at 2.79 per gallon, but hey... i use the cheap stuff in my cruddy minivan.

Logan
09-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Yeah, the only thing you're doing is putting additional pressure on an already strapped supply chain. Good work. That'll help. :rolleyes:

MI2QWK4U
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah, the only thing you're doing is putting additional pressure on an already strapped supply chain. Good work. That'll help. :rolleyes:

Yep...the one thing that will cause shortages and supply and demand problems.

fastblackmerc
09-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Yep...the one thing that will cause shortages and supply and demand problems.
At our local BJ's they ran out of regular and are selling 93 octane at the regular price..... $2.69 / gallon. Too bad because I just filled up my MM at $2.85 / gallon... thought that was a good price!!!

rocknrod
09-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah, the only thing you're doing is putting additional pressure on an already strapped supply chain. Good work. That'll help. :rolleyes:A-Men !.....

Donny Carlson
09-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Okay, fine. I'll need to fill up anyway, since I use the Marauder to commute. But because I don't want to put additional strain on the supply chain now, before the refineries are damaged an offline, I'll wait until they have been knocked offline and after local suppliers raise the prices. That'll help.

MM2004
09-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Okay, fine. I'll need to fill up anyway, since I use the Marauder to commute. But because I don't want to put additional strain on the supply chain now, before the refineries are damaged an offline, I'll wait until they have been knocked offline and after local suppliers raise the prices. That'll help.
I agree. We would just be prolonging the inevitable, but would pay more for something we would ultimately do anyway? Mine's full as we speak.

ncmm
09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
:D I'm full. . . Viva Gourditas!

snowbird
09-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Yep.

And you don't want to know how crazy it's becoming up here.

Pretty soon, it will be cheap to convert to furnace wood burning cars like the early 40's in Europe ....

I wonder how much octane does maple compare to spruce for the ones of us using supercharging ?

Donny Carlson
09-22-2005, 06:21 PM
I agree. We would just be prolonging the inevitable, but would pay more for something we would ultimately do anyway? Mine's full as we speak.
I was being faceicious.

texascorvette
09-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Mine is full because it's my work car.......but it really aggravates me that gas is 20 or 25 cents cheaper in the Twin Cities than it is here in the Dallas area. I don't even smoke, but I feel like I should light up a cigarette after paying. Watched too many old movies I guess.

huot5
09-22-2005, 07:06 PM
filled up with 2.69 for the wifees freestyle at BJ's in Miami. Marauder was filled up yesterday for like 2.99 premium.

johnfain
09-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Folks,

It is still cheaper than water. (Based upon an average 12 oz. bottled water with a cost of $0.75 that the gas station sells.).

1 US gallon of Super 93 = $4.50 (worst case near term)

1 US gallon = 128 US fluid ounce

10.667 12 oz. bottles of Water = 1 US gallon

10.667 x $0.75 = $8.00025/gallon of water vs. $4.50/gallon of 93 octane.

:type:

And thats a good thing.........

ncmm
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/5009038/detail.html :(

texascorvette
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
The Shell station near one of my customers sells 1/2 liter water at two for a buck. That's about $3.80/gallon. Guess I should be happy that it doesn't run on bottled water. Of course, I pay $2 for a 5-gallon jug of bottled water for the house. I'd have a helluva time getting the MM into the house for a drink.

It is still cheaper than water. (Based upon an average 12 oz. bottled water with a cost of $0.75 that the gas station sells.).

1 US gallon of Super 93 = $4.50 (worst case near term)

1 US gallon = 128 US fluid ounce

10.667 12 oz. bottles of Water = 1 US gallon

10.667 x $0.75 = $8.00025/gallon of water vs. $4.50/gallon of 93 octane.

:type:

And thats a good thing.........

Logan
09-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Don't be an ass. It's one thing if you need gas because your tank is empty, it's quite another to log onto the net and encourage everybody to top up for ****s and giggles. Breaking the supply cycle is what friggin drives the prices up prematurely.

Donny Carlson
09-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Don't be an ass. It's one thing if you need gas because your tank is empty, it's quite another to log onto the net and encourage everybody to top up for ****s and giggles. Breaking the supply cycle is what friggin drives the prices up prematurely.
Well, you have a point, but consider that we use 93 octane and not regular, which is not nearly used or in demand as regular or mid grade. Even if everybody on here ran out and filled up their Marauders, I don't think it would make a blip.

However, you are right in principle, so I concede. But then I never claimed not being an ass, either.

I have no problem you or the other mods using the button finger to delete this thread. I rather regret starting it now.

Logan
09-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Don't make me kill you with my love donny... :pimp:

Bradley G
09-23-2005, 06:26 PM
I am greatful that we are not experiencing a gas shortage.

In highschool ('77grad) we had lines a block long waiting for gasoline.
You could only buy five dollars worth at a time.
Only a few(mostly) independent stations had fuel.
The attendent(yes I said attendent) stuck his head inside the car to make sure you wern't just topping off!
Go ahead Logan,.........let 'er R.I.P.!

SHERIFF
09-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I have to enter a plea of guilty here. I ran a gas fillup marathon today and filled up everything I have. Gas was $2.78 today, with aniticpation it will be $3.50 before Monday morning.

But, I will also add............ there's no shortage where I live. Everybody has plenty of gas so far..... so I don't feel guilty.

MM2004
09-23-2005, 07:27 PM
The prices are driven up by the oil companies controlling something that we all need. It is called a monopoly. Should be illegal but it's not.

We can complain all we want but will still pay for it because we have to take our children to school, have to go to work, have to buy groceries, etc.

Your gas tank being full today vs. two days from now will not change the price of a gallon of gasoline nor will it break the supply cycle.

Experts that predict the cost of a gallon of gasoline open the market for that cost to be met if not exceeded.

Sorry Logan, Not the way to approach this, nor to slam Donny as in your post.

Mike.

texascorvette
09-23-2005, 08:18 PM
That $5 bought 17 gallons of gas in 1977--which is about the most I've ever been able to put in my MM.
I am greatful that we are not experiencing a gas shortage.

In highschool ('77grad) we had lines a block long waiting for gasoline.
You could only buy five dollars worth at a time.
Only a few(mostly) independent stations had fuel.
The attendent(yes I said attendent) stuck his head inside the car to make sure you wern't just topping off!
Go ahead Logan,.........let 'er R.I.P.!

duhtroll
09-23-2005, 08:47 PM
One thing I would like to see is the profit margins of the big oil companies for this year in a few months. I'll bet they haven't lost much cash over this "crisis." (they can use that word for it but I think that term should be reserved for those who have lost homes and families)

I could be wrong, sure. Still I'm willing to bet profits have increased, not decreased.

The hurricanes are a good excuse to jack up prices, but that's all it is as far as the oil companies are concerned.

The problem is not only in our own fuel costs, but also that we now see higher prices on lots of different things so that companies can pay for their transportation costs. It hits us everywhere we go.

-A

rocknrod
09-23-2005, 09:29 PM
The prices are driven up by the oil companies controlling something that we all need. It is called a monopoly. Should be illegal but it's not.
........We,
Will not stand
For this.
White Honky,
Oppression!

Redster
09-23-2005, 10:06 PM

I agree that hoarding does help to push the prices up. But on the other hand, if you know Katrina drove the prices up, why not buy now?

Two Hawks
09-23-2005, 11:13 PM
A point to ponder while bashing the major oil companies, not that I think they are not taking advantage of a bad situation,
lets not forget the major part, in the increase of the price of crude oil, that the OPECkers have played.
There is more than one greedy bastage at work in this game.:fire:

Bradley G
09-24-2005, 04:25 AM
That was in 1967.

I remember not even being able to get more than half a tank.I drove my parents '73 Plymouth Fury III got about 12 miles per gallon.
If you had half a tank they would turn you away!

That $5 bought 17 gallons of gas in 1977--which is about the most I've ever been able to put in my MM.<!--<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:trackback="http://madskills.com/public/xml/rss/module/trackback/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"><rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.visioncircle.org/archive/cat_history.html#004546" trackback:ping="http://www.visioncircle.org/mt/mt-tb.cgi/4308" dc:title="Flashback to &apos;70s Gas Crisis" dc:identifier="http://www.visioncircle.org/archive/cat_history.html#004546" dc:subject="History" dc:description="People are scared about the rise in gas prices so they go to the gas stations to fill up, otherwise, &quot;prices will be higher or they will run out of gas!&quot; [Update] That&apos;s the same panic that happened during the..." dc:creator="EBrown" dc:date="2005-09-02T22:11:28-05:00" /></rdf:RDF>-->
September 02, 2005

Flashback to '70s Gas Crisis

People are scared about the rise in gas prices so they go to the gas stations to fill up, otherwise, "prices will be higher or they will run out of gas!"

[Update] That's the same panic that happened during the <STRIKE>Carter</STRIKE> Nixon years when OPEC cut back in their production (http://canadianeconomy.gc.ca/english/economy/1973opec.html) to cause an increase in gas prices.

During that summer, my friends and I laughed at the line of cars up and down the block. Some of us made money selling cups of water to the people waiting in the cars.

Fights broke out at gas stations. Gas stations ran out of gas. Lines of cars blocked street traffic. Some gas stations went out of business.

Today? Fights. Gas stations running out of gas. Lines of cars blocking traffic.

All I can do is shake my head and call the people fools.

History is repeating itself for other reasons, but it is still repeating itself

Logan
09-24-2005, 11:11 AM

We can complain all we want but will still pay for it because we have to take our children to school, have to go to work, have to buy groceries, etc.

Your gas tank being full today vs. two days from now will not change the price of a gallon of gasoline nor will it break the supply cycle.

Experts that predict the cost of a gallon of gasoline open the market for that cost to be met if not exceeded.

Sorry Logan, Not the way to approach this, nor to slam Donny as in your post.

Mike.
Wow, talk about needing an education. Go do your research, this has a great deal to do in fact, with China and emerging countries consumption increasing exponentially over the course of the past 5 years. Saudia Arabia is the ONLY Opec country NOT operating at peak capacity and they've made it clear that they're ability to extract oil is not what it once was. There's also precious little in terms of new fields being developed. It's a relatively straight forward case of supply and demand. The dwindling supply is winning and is ultimately why the price has tripled over the course of the past 3 years.

...and yes, crap like this absolutely DOES break the friggin supply chain. I drove past 4 different gas stations near my place that the stations had been completely emptied and the price was still post Katrina pricing of 2.70/gallon. Following your logic, it should've been 5/gallon, since hell, 20% of America's production capacity is in the Houston/Beaumont area.

This wasn't a case of greed, a case of dip****s going and filling up anything they had with gas because they're panic'd

Come on back when you know what you're talking about.